Can someone please explain Funny Games to me?

Dizzle229

Well, you're asking for it saying stuff like "movies are meant to be for entertainment only". If I wasn't such a nice guy I'd call you an idiot too.

Um, can you think of a reason for movies besides entertainment, and a small minority of educational films? None really, unless you just want to torture your friends.

Art doesn't necessarily have to be entertaining in the traditional sense.

Funny enough you're the exact kind of person that the movie targeted dizzle. Those who want to just be entertained by cheap violence. (I read up on the movie a bit).

Though I do love mah cheap violence, you have to admit that the remote scene was a little... well, it shows what Hannake(sp?) as trying to do, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a theatrical release when you cut out a huge demographic.

So a movie requiring a little thought as to director motives and such cuts out a large demographic? I think that says more about the demographic itself than the movie.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Well, you're asking for it saying stuff like "movies are meant to be for entertainment only". If I wasn't such a nice guy I'd call you an idiot too.

Um, can you think of a reason for movies besides entertainment, and a small minority of educational films? None really, unless you just want to torture your friends.

To make you think, perhaps? I still don't understand why you're using the word "entertainment". Just because the film didn't end the way you wanted it to doesn't mean there's no entertainment value in it.

I know you said you wanted to hear explanations from people on this board, but our answers obviously aren't good enough for you, so read this.

Cool.

Funny enough you're the exact kind of person that the movie targeted dizzle. Those who want to just be entertained by cheap violence. (I read up on the movie a bit).

Though I do love mah cheap violence, you have to admit that the remote scene was a little... well, it shows what Hannake(sp?) as trying to do, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a theatrical release when you cut out a huge demographic.

So a movie requiring a little thought as to director motives and such cuts out a large demographic? I think that says more about the demographic itself than the movie.

Now you're assuming I don't like thought in movies?

It's one thing to have a deeper meaning, but DELIBERATELY LEAVING OUT THE ENTERTAINMENT? It's like going to a comedy show but they forgot the jokes. This isn't just trying to appeal to a different audience, Hanneke(sp????) has even said that he wants to go against what the viewer wants.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Way to post, not troll, make an on topic post, and yet contribute nothing.

I don't really get what the director was smoking, movies are for entertainment. This would have been cool as a cheap independent film to be shown ONLY at film festivals and basic cable, but not a theatrical release where you actually EXPECT to be entertained.

P.S. I think it's a sign of a bad horror/thriller when you watch the trailer before it comes out and until you see it believe it's a comedy with a bit of dark humor. Just sayin'.

[yt]Ec-70W_K77U[/yt]

i could've just called you an idiot, but i thought everyone already knew that. btw, i technically wrote some of that wiki page ages ago, so nice going - you did hear from me.

Insults insults insults. NOW you're trolling =D>

If you don't want to say something ON the forum, then go away.

waah waah i cant understand this movie even though its explicitly stated in a way that even a small child can understand it. mommy hold me! how about u stop watching movies altogether, i think they are a bit too perplexing for you.

p915h.gif

I don't really get what the director was smoking, movies are for entertainment. This would have been cool as a cheap independent film to be shown ONLY at film festivals and basic cable, but not a theatrical release where you actually EXPECT to be entertained.

P.S. I think it's a sign of a bad horror/thriller when you watch the trailer before it comes out and until you see it believe it's a comedy with a bit of dark humor. Just sayin'.

[yt]Ec-70W_K77U[/yt]

i could've just called you an idiot, but i thought everyone already knew that. btw, i technically wrote some of that wiki page ages ago, so nice going - you did hear from me.

waah waah i cant understand this movie even though its explicitly stated in a way that even a small child can understand it. mommy hold me! how about u stop watching movies altogether, i think they are a bit too perplexing for you.

1. I like capital letters, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. AGAIN with the insults. You've yet to do anything but post a link and insult me. Way to help the thread along :roll:

3. We were over this argument.

4. Why are you getting so upset about this?

@ Intriguing, I'm not just talking about the ending, I'm talking about the whole damn movie. There really is no thought here.

Couple of guys come to a house, beat the [cabbage] out of the family, talk to them for an hour, then kill them.

Sounds like a Blockbuster hit. They only got back HALF of the cost to make this movie, and after seeing it I undertsand why.

The annoying thing is, with the eggs scene in the beginning, it actually looked like it could be a good movie. That was really the one scene I liked.

Still, if you want to try watching it for yourself it's atleast worth a rental, or if you're lucky catch it on a movie channel.

@ Nom - Eh, it would have been nice to see some justice done to atleast one of them. I didn't really mind the lack of violence, but it's too one-sided.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

[yt]Ec-70W_K77U[/yt]

1. I like capital letters, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. AGAIN with the insults. You've yet to do anything but post a link and insult me. Way to help the thread along :roll:

3. We were over this argument.

4. Why are you getting so upset about this?

@ Intriguing, I'm not just talking about the ending, I'm talking about the whole damn movie. There really is no thought here.

Couple of guys come to a house, beat the [cabbage] out of the family, talk to them for an hour, then kill them.

Sounds like a Blockbuster hit. They only got back HALF of the cost to make this movie, and after seeing it I undertsand why.

The annoying thing is, with the eggs scene in the beginning, it actually looked like it could be a good movie. That was really the one scene I liked.

Still, if you want to try watching it for yourself it's atleast worth a rental, or if you're lucky catch it on a movie channel.

@ Nom - Eh, it would have been nice to see some justice done to atleast one of them. I didn't really mind the lack of violence, but it's too one-sided.

this entire topic is about your stupidity, so i'm still on topic.

p915h.gif

Again, nothing but insults. Come back when you feel you can contribute to the discussion. Until then, I will not respond to your posts here.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

So what, every movie should end up with the guy getting the girl? The bad guy getting vanquished and killed forever (at least, until the sequel). Everything in the end turns out just fine?

Sorry the movie makes you try and think. I don't see how that makes it any less entertaining. Also, adio is completely on point -- you're an idiot.

So what, every movie should end up with the guy getting the girl? The bad guy getting vanquished and killed forever (at least, until the sequel). Everything in the end turns out just fine?

Sorry the movie makes you try and think. I don't see how that makes it any less entertaining. Also, adio is completely on point -- you're an idiot.

AGAIN with these damn insults, yet how am I an idiot? I already said that I'm not just talking about the ending, the whole movie was just painful to watch. It doesn't try to make you think, it's just mind rape.

Chronological order of my opinion.

1. Egg scene - This has some potential :)

2. A while of talking - Some alright dialogue, this writer is pretty creative :D

3. Guy gets shot - Whole movie was worth it just for that! :thumbsup:

4. Remote - Thats a little dissapointing :thumbdown:

Actually, responding to you made me realize that I liked the movie more than I said.

It was decent leading up the the remote scene, but after that it just seemed like it was alot of anticipation for nothing :|

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Again, nothing but insults. Come back when you feel you can contribute to the discussion. Until then, I will not respond to your posts here.

sure thing.

hey guys i thought funny games was a pretty bland and boring movie, but i understood what the director was trying to do; even if i thought it made for a pretty unspectacular movie. i commend him and hope many people can enjoy this film in the future.

oh hey you're an idiot.

p915h.gif

Also, adio is completely on point -- you're an idiot.

That doesn't mean that you and Adio aren't being arses about it.

That's exactly the point. The director gave you what you wanted, then reversed the situation, leaving you frustrated. Did you read the link I posted before?

Cool.

Also, adio is completely on point -- you're an idiot.

That doesn't mean that you and Adio aren't being arses about it.

That's exactly the point. The director gave you what you wanted, then reversed the situation, leaving you frustrated. Did you read the link I posted before?

Nadril I don't mind so much, because of all the time I've just wanted to hug his epicness and because he actually took part in the discussion.

Intriguing, I realize what the director was trying to do, but isn't feeling frustrated a bad thing? The movie was a fun ride, but in the end it just seems like it wasn't worth the 2 hours.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I've been trying to find a review that sums up how I've described this movie, but it seems like every review is either all praise or all scorn.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

whats all this talk 'bout funny games anyways

Allow me to break my promise not to respond to you for this.

thers this famly, who gos to there vacation house. and these two guys r liek

"were guna kill u"

and the famlyz liek

"no!"

and there liek

"too bad"

so teh gaiz killz teh kid and the huzbnd, and der liek

"lol"

and teh wife if liek

"ohnoes!"

and den she's liek

"dai!"

and teh guy get shot, but den he dusnt, and im liek

"wtf"

That about sums it up.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

It's one thing to have a deeper meaning, but DELIBERATELY LEAVING OUT THE ENTERTAINMENT? It's like going to a comedy show but they forgot the jokes. This isn't just trying to appeal to a different audience, Hanneke(sp????) has even said that he wants to go against what the viewer wants.

So entertainment is just a cookie-cutter happy ending now? Really? I mean, you still got to see the guy get blown away if that's what you were looking so hard for, but good guys winning is the only thing that counts for you to be entertained?

And no, I didn't assume you dislike thought in movies. Did I say you did? No, stop putting words in my metaphorical mouth. But you seem to think victory for evil and that slap in the face, making the audience think about wtf just happened alienates a large demographic. I'm saying that if needing to think makes people shy away, that says a little something about what kind of society we have now.

I also want to see this movie now. Why? Because it sounds like something good and thought-provoking as to why everything needs to turn out well.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

So entertainment is just a cookie-cutter happy ending now? Really? I mean, you still got to see the guy get blown away if that's what you were looking so hard for, but good guys winning is the only thing that counts for you to be entertained?

And no, I didn't assume you dislike thought in movies. Did I say you did? No, stop putting words in my metaphorical mouth. But you seem to think victory for evil and that slap in the face, making the audience think about wtf just happened alienates a large demographic. I'm saying that if needing to think makes people shy away, that says a little something about what kind of society we have now.

I also want to see this movie now. Why? Because it sounds like something good and thought-provoking as to why everything needs to turn out well.

You should see it, it's a good movie up until the remote scene, but I never said I wanted the good guys to win, just I wanted to see SOME suffering on the part of the antagonists.

And your mouth is anything but metaphorical. I've seen what goes on in there.

I have to concede to you though, the director was creative in that. Frustrating as it was.

And anti-climactic.

On second thought, I might kill him tonight.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Ever heard of social commentary? Criticizing society?

I'm not sure about you, but from what I've read from summaries, this movie looks pretty good. It's like the book Nineteen Eighty-Four. The main goal of the book isn't to simply entertain, the goal is to get people thinking. Anything that aims just to entertain doesn't achieve much. Yet when you go for making the audience think, then I'd say it is better than anything more entertaining. On that note, I think it is a sign of society that people look for a cheap laugh or maybe a quick flutter of the heart rather than something that stays with them. This movie doesn't cut any demographic, it appeals to anyone who actually wants to think.

On second thought, I guess it does narrow down the demographic quite a bit.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Ever heard of social commentary? Criticizing society?

I'm not sure about you, but from what I've read from summaries, this movie looks pretty good. It's like the book Nineteen Eighty-Four. The main goal of the book isn't to simply entertain, the goal is to get people thinking. Anything that aims just to entertain doesn't achieve much. Yet when you go for making the audience think, then I'd say it is better than anything more entertaining. On that note, I think it is a sign of society that people look for a cheap laugh or maybe a quick flutter of the heart rather than something that stays with them. This movie doesn't cut any demographic, it appeals to anyone who actually wants to think.

On second thought, I guess it does narrow down the demographic quite a bit.

Like I said earlier, it IS better than I gave it credit for, it's just that scene that bothered me.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, from what I had read on this thread, I had pretty low expectatives. But after watching the whole movie, I must say it's pretty good for a horror/suspence movie. And the ending (and the beggining, too) fit perfectly.

16185_s.gif