Mathematical "Proofs"

wild_goat_14

^ can't take the root of a negative number because there is no number which, multiplied by itself, gives a negative.

He never took the square root though.

In conventional mathematics without complex numbers, you can't even write down -1^0.5

Doesn't it just work out to be -1 though?

-1^0,5 =/= -1

It's i.

(1^(1/2)/-1^(1/2)) = (-1^(1/2)/1^(1/2))

1/i =- i/1

1/i = -i

As 1^0.5 x -1^0.5 = i,both sides times i.

1 = 1.

I was about to show the exact same thing but without the complex numbers. Your way works just the same though ::' :

Mathproof.png

ydrasil.png

-

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

^ can't take the root of a negative number because there is no number which, multiplied by itself, gives a negative.

incorrect, use of the integer I or J in physics allows the root of a negative number.

the actual mistake is the belief that the root of an entire fraction is the same as the root of the nominator and denominator, this is infact FALSE fo all all numbers belonging to the set of real numbers.

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

incorrect, use of the integer I or J in physics allows the root of a negative number.

the actual mistake is the belief that the root of an entire fraction is the same as the root of the nominator and denominator, this is infact FALSE fo all all numbers belonging to the set of real numbers.

to be technical, no number can be written that is the square root of a negative number, we use things such as i to allow work that involves such "complex" numbers.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

1/i =- i/1

1/i = -i

1 = 1.

I was about to show the exact same thing but without the complex numbers. Your way works just the same though ::' :

Mathproof.png

Or the fast way...

-1=-1

-1(-1)=-1(-1)

1=1

I know you are just disproving someone else's equation, I just really had the urge to post that.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

to be technical, no number can be written that is the square root of a negative number, we use things such as i to allow work that involves such "complex" numbers.

you can write it it's just not technically correct as i itself can neither be positive or negative, how silly we humans are :wall: :P

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

I don't have a mind for maths, unfortunately. Whenever I think of a mathematical problem I do best to keep it simple and, if possible, think of each unit as a physical object.

For example, I rationalise dividing by zero to be nonsensical because you can't divide a number of objects into zero groups. They'll always be in groups, even if it's just groups of one.

Then you might have a mind for physics,

where every number has set significance and you are not left in a void of variables and symbols with no meaning.

Perhaps. I think that I have a mind for molecular biology more than anything else. It's all easily understandable on a physical level. It's too late to seriously consider any other field of science anyway.

infinity x 0 x 2 = 1

infinity x 0 = 0

0 x 2 = 0 (not 1)

Whats next. Are you goign to discard the fabric of life by proving;

1+1 does not = 2?

Or that the trig functions are incorrect?

Or you can magically apply pytharogas's theoreom to a equilateral triangles... (Yes it is possible, I realise that...)

EDIT: Yeah, I just read the first post ;-; I failed epically.

But yeah, people have been applying wrong algebraic equations, etc... (silly people)

Luck be a Lady

If you can find the error here I'll be bloody impressed :P

-1 = -1

(1/-1) = (-1/1)

multpily by 1^(1/2).-1^(1/2) and you get

1= -1

Q.E.D PLAWKS?

1/i =- i/1

1/i = -i

1 = 1.

Mathproof.png

the rule sqrt(a) * sqrt(B) = sqrt(ab) only applies for real numbers, and sqrt(-1) isn't a real number.