We have outgrown our stats

Skreamo

Now, we all know the combat triangle is in a lot of problems. ESPECIALLY in f2p. Most ways of solving the problem are usually along the lines of give magic better spells. But, what if you did something different. What if you decreased the power of melee weapons?

Melee weapons do a load of damage. They hit incredibly high and mages generally are unable to hit enough. My personal look at the problem is that our weapons have outgrown our stats. That we need to cut back on the powers of some of our weapons and possibly involve more pattern memorization and character placement, emotes, attacking certain places with certain weapons at certain times and possibly speech into defeating harder bosses

Decreasing the power of melee wouldn't work.

Imagine the amount of people who'd be furious how hard it is to PvP, or solo certain boss monsters with melee afterwards.

Also the highest weapon is the PvP ones, then GS's right? That's lvl's 78/75. There's more to come, still.

Attacking certain places? You mean like body parts? That wouldn't work with this combat system O.o

2251.png

I think instead of more powerful updates to weapons we should have more mid-level (70 attack) variety.

Everyone uses a whip. But what would be really cool is if we had different types of weapons to use. Then we would have lots of debates over which is the best to use. Sacrifice a bit of power for even more speed than the whip? sacrifice a bit of speed for more power than the whip?

Zerker_jane.png

i quite agree!!!!

i think that the weapons that we have should give moderate boosts, and make it so that the power of your attacks depends mostly on stats.

i always hate it the way that i have higher stats than people, but because they are super rich, how i dont know, they can afford way better weapons, and kill me.

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

Power Creep, happens in many many games. The combat triangle is slightly disfunctional, I agree, and I do think there is far too many overpowered weapons. However, there needs to be a solution. Sure, mage can't hit high, but what about it's abilities to stack hits and farcast, not to mention the fact that it can heal hitpoints, freeze people for about 8 rounds of combat and hit multiple enemies? Any experienced mage can 1v1 a Warrior easily, killing him without taking a single hit, but it contains alot of risk. Too much of RuneScape is about high hits, accuracy should come into play more noticably.

Imo, the solution can be to make all combat styles have a very accurate weapon/spell, yet a lower max hit, perhaps a small nerf on Dclaws too >.>. Changing how the combat system works has alot of problems for JaGex, how do they do it? Do they - choose the option to make better items, helping to 'destroy' the economy more, and if so, how is the item going to enter the game? JaGex could choose items entering the game through a quest, but that won't serve all combat styles. JaGex could make high level monsters drop the item, but the economy is in a state of breakdown thanks to the stupid merchants -.-.

Overall, there is no simple solution to 'fix' the combat triangle, you have to consider speed accuracy and max hits, decreasing melee hits may cause a giant uproar to those who are bosshunters that melee. Since RuneScape is not just about PvP, there are more people affected than you'd think... like the way that PvP dropping the Dfh's makes Mith Hunters out of a job....

there is onething, that i never hear any1 talking about. the range part of the triangle.

i have found that even with my best equipement (i can afford), (rune crossbow, mith bolts, full red d'hide, helm of nez,) i almost never hit on even a mage, who iswearing mystic. now we all know mage armor gives no range defence, but i never hit them, even when they have much lower lvs than me.

is it just my stats, (u can see them in my sig) or has any1 else noticed this aswell?

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

there is onething, that i never hear any1 talking about. the range part of the triangle.

i have found that even with my best equipement (i can afford), (rune crossbow, mith bolts, full red d'hide, helm of nez,) i almost never hit on even a mage, who iswearing mystic. now we all know mage armor gives no range defence, but i never hit them, even when they have much lower lvs than me.

is it just my stats, (u can see them in my sig) or has any1 else noticed this aswell?

It's your stats. Range is the only "fair" one imo

The only solution that I can think of is to increase the max level above 99. This obviously wouldn't work because a bunch of level 267s would be popping out of nowhere. For now, most pkers will use melee. I personally pk with mage and win the majority of my fights. I can easily kill most meleers (spelling?) with magic. I don't think that magic is underpowered at all, people just don't want to need any sort of skill.

my view, like it or not is....

DON'T USE MAGE THEN

ty :-#

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

1) but what about it's abilities to stack hits and farcast,

2) not to mention the fact that it can heal hitpoints,

3)freeze people for about 8 rounds of combat and hit multiple enemies?

Gotta point the flaws on this out:

1) It doesn't stack (And if it did, Melee and Range do too) and farcasting is hard in F2P.

2) at the cost of your own hitpoints, not a wise move tbh.

3) not eveyone has 82/94 mage for effectiveness, the money for continuous use and F2P sure as hell has none of those traits.

With that said,

The game doesn't revolve around PvP, and I don't think just because the PvP needs a fix every other aspect of the game should be nerfed/changed. (LOL WoW)

Also, getting kills would be impossible.

Using mage doesn't revolve around PvP, it has monster killing/slayer too, at which it horribly lacks.

Popoto.~<3

Over a long period of time range and mage have both fallen from being Main specs to just turning to secondary specs for Melee.

Hybrid PVPers will always have an avantage over someone using just one side of the triangle.

The most balance period for all 3 of these is somewhere between the combat levels of 20-60 which is quite bad imo.

enjin-197880-13470529531124777514-gray.png

Ex-Wilderness Guardian

Ex-Solace

Retired from F2P clans indefinitely

• 1 month later...

I think the problem is that the whole damage system is 1-dimensional, it's all about hitting the most damage. Attack plays a roll yes but who the hell cares when you can 2 hit people. Am I the only one who thinks it could possibly be the health system at fault here? They need to make the combat system more multidimensional. We all know in this current system mage just can't compete when you can just eat food. The answer is not making mage and range hit higher either. They need to either stop adding so many powerful melee weapons or they need to re-vamp the current system and make fights less like nonsensical damage fests. When was the last time you factored in crush damage or whatnot. Maces? Useless. Longswords? Eh...Useless. Daggers? Better be dragon. Godswords... YES.

On a closing note, the reason these high-damage weapons are so overused is because the eating system is flawed imo. Perhaps there should be a meter of 'fullness' which is constantly going up and down depending on the food you are eating. Sharks could give a certain amount of 'fullness' and after that you'd need to wait a certain period of time before eating again. The period of time I speak of would be a matter of seconds too. The more a food heals the more fullness it gives.Just a thought. Tell me what you all think. I think it could also mess up monster fighting though. We wouldn't want Runescape to become one big competitive eating competition either. Not sure. x

I agree, with the original author of the post,

But I think RuneScape's whole combat system is flawed.

It's nothing more than a virtual rendition of rock, paper ,scissors..

And when simple is often better, I don't think that goes for RuneScape's combat system.

They should scrap the combat system altogether and start over. Something with more strategy, please..

"God must be asleep."

I think instead of more powerful updates to weapons we should have more mid-level (70 attack) variety.

Everyone uses a whip. But what would be really cool is if we had different types of weapons to use. Then we would have lots of debates over which is the best to use. Sacrifice a bit of power for even more speed than the whip? sacrifice a bit of speed for more power than the whip?

Do you work for jagex? This seems like there way of thinking, "yes, they can get 99 but why not make the most powerful weapons attainable at level 70"

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

Melee weapons do hit high, but I think the problem with them hitting so high is the armour people have access to. Not enough defensive power :P

And I believe that to fix the combat triangle problem in f2p is to give f2p mages access to better spells.

disturbeda.png

Do a mixture of both combats, such as blitz + ags/dbow/d claws rushing.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking