Useless critique?

woopidoo2

I had written this critique on a photo at DeviantArt.

As some of the DeviantArt users know, there's a new Critique system available for subscribers.

So I had written this quite detailed, and in my eyes 'helpful' critique, but the author of the photo

I critiqued on blew my critique away by labeling it 'useless'. (Critique rejected as "Useless")

I'm not trying to 'get my Tip.it friends on my side', instead I would like some insight about the critique I wrote.

Was it too harsh? Too bluntly put? or is she, the author not able to handle critique?

The photo:

http://bloodpromiser.deviantart.com/art/Marsh-122812039

My critique:

[hide=Text]I will be honest in this critique, which may sound harsh (so dont take this personally ;) )

What I see here is a photo of a bench, with excessive editing. One comment said 'Omg its a bench', and it is, nothing more. You know how to edit a photo, and in this photo, you used it to make something nice out of nothing.

In this situation, you could have created more depth by including some more of the path that bends off at the left. My eyes tend to look into that direction, but there's not enough room for the path because the bench fills too much of the frame. A model (sitting on the bench) could have made the difference, but I dont know if there was anyone with you at that moment.

I'm sure the majority of people will like it because of its colors and its overall 'feel', but I dont think much remains after completely removing the colors that were made in PP.[/hide]

Or: http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com/critique/118781383

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

I'd say that she isn't able to handle criticism properly as I personally think it's pretty spot on and informative on what she have to work with. She might have found it too blunt though but you can't really blame yourself for that.

igsig.png

I'd say that she isn't able to handle criticism properly as I personally think it's pretty spot on and informative on what she have to work with.

That.

IMO the critique system on dA is silly anyway, the fact that the artist has to label it as 'fair' before it appears is just ridiculous because there are obviously going to be lots of people who just can't handle comments that aren't completely positive, and they will just disapprove of all critique of that sort, useful or not.

penguin.gif

pixel avvy by me deviantART

Gosh, sounds like someone who doesn't want to admit that they're wrong and not right. She didn't like that you pointed out her flaws so bluntly, but don't sugar coat it 'cause everyone needs a harsh art critique. I find it helpful even if they might balantly disrespect me.

dA is pretty horrible anyways.

Yup, infested with Japanophiles and attention [bleep].

But that's not to say that there isn't a decent person amongst all that badly drawn manga and myspace-esque photos.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢