Spirit Shields: Infernal, Holy, Pious, Velocious, Draconic!

Blutters

The Corporeal Beast, the most powerful monster in the game, drops four different incredibly rare Sigils: Spectral (blue), Arcane (yellow), Elysian (turquoise), and Divine (green).

If a player is lucky enough to receive one of these awesome Sigils, a Holy Elixir, and a basic Spirit Shield, he or she may combine them to form an extremely powerful shield.

Each of the existing upgraded Spirit Shields has a unique special ability.

All Spirit Shields are also the lightest shields in the game and give good melee and Ranged Defense bonuses as well as a Prayer bonus.

These are considered to be the best shields in the game and are highly sought after by high level players.

Considering that it is such a simple formula to create Spirit Shields, there is much room for additional Sigils and add-on elements. An entirely new series of Sigils could even be created.

I have thought of several new unique Spirit Shield variants:

Infernal Spirit Shieldspiwwl.png

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach an Infernal Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, light red-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling three falling waves.

Ability: 75% chance of rebounding 25% of damage inflicted by an opponent; The damage is NOT negated.

Examine: An ethereal shield with an infernal sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+63 Stab

+65 Slash

+75 Crush

+02 Magic

+57 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

Holy Spirit Shieldqxovuv.png

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Holy Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, bright yellow-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling sharply curving waves, similar to a reversed Zamorakian symbol.

Ability: 20% chance of gaining 20% of projected damage incurred added to Prayer points; If you take 'phantom damage', or damage that you would have taken if you were not using a Protection Prayer, the chances are reduced to a 10% chance of gaining 10% of the supposed damage.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a holy sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+63 Stab

+65 Slash

+75 Crush

+02 Magic

+57 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

Pious Spirit Shield2s79dp3.png

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Pious Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, white-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling a curved scythe at an odd angle.

Ability: Enormous Prayer bonus.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a pious sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+53 Stab

+55 Slash

+73 Crush

+02 Magic

+52 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+23 Prayer

2KG weight

Velocious Spirit Shield2cpe3a8.png

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Velocious Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, forest green-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling a round-edged star.

Ability: Enormous Ranged Attack, Strength, and Defense bonuses.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a velocious sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+53 Stab

+55 Slash

+73 Crush

+02 Magic

+82 Ranged (Also +20 Ranged Attack and Strength)

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

Draconic Spirit Shield2eur7o9.png

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Dark Sigil; Attach a Draconic Visage; Attach an Anti-Dragonfire Shield.

Appearance: Translucent, dark purple/black-tinted, slight orange waves, large white/silver dragon in the center resembling that of the Dragon Sq Shield.

Ability: Counts as Anti-Dragonfire Shield, Elemental Shield; Can hold up to 20 dragonbreath/icebreath charges that can be used as special attacks by operating the shield which can deal Magic-based damage to a target.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a snarling visage and dark sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+75 Stab

+80 Slash

+80 Crush

+15 Magic

+75 Ranged

+70 Summoning

+07 Strength

+03 Prayer

5KG weight

_____

Feel free to submit your own here! Just follow the pattern. It's quite simple really.

If you're any good at creating images then I'll happily accept concept art for the above described.

2dgucz6.png

Nice Idea, but I really dont see the point of having another Anti-Firebreath shield when we have the Dragonfire shield and the Anti-fire shield. It can still work. And the Like the idea of the Infernal shield.

vizardsig-1.png

The Draconic Spirit Shield isn't essential. It really is just a more expensive Dragonfire Shield with raised stats, lowered weight, no negative attack bonuses, and changed appearance. I thought it was a neat idea. You basically take both of the best shields in the game and combine them...

I've added three more variants. Tell me what you think!

[hide=Also, the formula for Spirit Shield suggestion creation]_ Spirit Shield

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a(n) _ Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, _-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling _.

Ability: _

Examine: An ethereal shield with a(n) _ sigil attached to it.

Stats: (for EFFECT Spirit Shields; remains constant.)

+63 Stab

+65 Slash

+75 Crush

+02 Magic

+57 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

Stats: (for STAT Spirit Shields; the only things that can change.)

+53 Stab

+55 Slash

+73 Crush

+02 Magic

+52 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

[/hide]

2dgucz6.png

50% chance of 50% damage delt added to prayer? Way, way overpowerd, you could pray piety and protection with good prayer gear and never need food or pots. The Draconic spirit shield would hit the prices of other spirit shields hard since the visage is so much easier to obtain yet the shield has excellent stats. 33 prayer bonus for a single item is ridiculous. In all, it just seems unnecessary; we have plenty of high stat (and high priced) shields as is.

quit

Err... The Dragonfire Shield already beats most of any of the higher-tier Spirit Shield stats...

I don't see how improving it a bit more would hurt them anymore than they can already potentially be hurt.

As for the Holy Spirit Shield's effect, please offer a solution or compromise to make it 'acceptable'.

20%/20%? Obviously most training monsters don't hit high enough or have the potential to hit high enough to raise it by very much very often. This shield is intended for big boss battles.

Also, think about Guthan's as an example: Guthan's at one point was the most sought-after Barrows set; it was 'above' all the rest. Why can't there be a Spirit Shield like that too?

And if you would, try to stay away from the mentality that JaGEx's time and resources are limited, and therefore only completely essential updates should ever be made. Adding these could improve the game; they could add more variety. Why not update something? Why not add new things to the game? We have the will to think and create and JaGEx encourages us to do so.

On that note: What exactly do you consider necessary?

2dgucz6.png

Err... The Dragonfire Shield already beats most of any of the higher-tier Spirit Shield stats...

I don't see how improving it a bit more would hurt them anymore than they can already potentially be hurt.

Elysian is generally considered the best defencive shield where you don't want to burn through prayer potions (compared to devine). Dragonfire beats elysian by 7 stab, 10 stab, 8 magic, 15 range defence, and 7 strength. Elysian beats dragonfire by 1 crush, 3 prayer, 10 magic attack, and 5 range attack. Those small defence losses aren't even worth the range/mage penalties (assuming you're not meleeing) and that's without the 70% chance of a 25% damage reduction. Add that reduction, and elysian is far better then dragonfire especially in high damage situations. Your preposed draconic shield beats elysian by 12 stab, 15 slash, 5 crush, 13 magic, and 18 range, not parcticularily good considering elysian's effect, except it has no attack penalties, 7 strength, and 3 prayer. Now, even for all combat styles, draconic is better then elysian. A draconic visage and a blessed spirit shield costs 19.9m, and elysian spirit shield costs 348.5m. You don't think a shield which costs over 17x as much as the better compition would fall in price...?

As for the Holy Spirit Shield's effect, please offer a solution or compromise to make it 'acceptable'.

I thought it was pretty obvious: reduce it's prayer boost. A logical prayer setup for melee has 35-40 prayer; even if your previous shield was falidor (3) you'd be gaining 26 prayer bonus. That's about a 70% increase in prayer bonus (along with significant defence boosts) for replacing a single item. 15 prayer sounds much more reasonable.

20%/20%? Obviously most training monsters don't hit high enough or have the potential to hit high enough to raise it by very much very often. This shield is intended for big boss battles.

Also, think about Guthan's as an example: Guthan's at one point was the most sought-after Barrows set; it was 'above' all the rest. Why can't there be a Spirit Shield like that too?

I misunderstood here, I thought you meant prayer would be gained based upon what you hit; however 50%/50% still seems too high. You could for example use zamorak brews to lower your defence (and conveniently, boost your offence) and wear low defence prayer boosting gear such as monk's robes with a mitre stole ect so you get "hit" often, while praying protection and maybe even offencive prayer. Making training easier with lower def is illogical. If it didn't boost your prayer based on "phatom hits" while you are praying protection it would work much better.

And if you would, try to stay away from the mentality that JaGEx's time and resources are limited, and therefore only completely essential updates should ever be made. Adding these could improve the game; they could add more variety. Why not update something? Why not add new things to the game? We have the will to think and create and JaGEx encourages us to do so.

Jagex's time and resources are limited though. Obviously, I'm not saying that only updates required to keep the game running should be made, I'm saying that updates should be focused on areas that need updating. As I stated, there are plenty of excellent shield avaliable. Would it make sence for Jagex to spend time making 10 more colours of wizard's hats? No, because we already have many colours to choose from.

quit

Holy Spirit Shield

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Holy Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, bright yellow-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling sharply curving waves, similar to a reversed Zamorakian symbol.

Ability: 50% chance of gaining 50% of projected damage incurred added to Prayer points; Works similar to Guthan's - if you are using Protection Prayers so you aren't actually hurt, you still regain Prayer points equal to what you would have been hit.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a holy sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+63 Stab

+65 Slash

+75 Crush

+02 Magic

+57 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

Pious Spirit Shield

•  
    Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Pious Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, white-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling two curved scythes joined at an odd angle.

Ability: Enormous Prayer bonus.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a pious sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+53 Stab

+55 Slash

+73 Crush

+02 Magic

+52 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+33 Prayer

2KG weight

Those 2 pretty much ruined any valid upgrades/updates you suggested.

Seriously those are too powerful, they both destroy prayer.

The Holy Spirit Shield pretty much reduces the cost of using prayer protect to 0, the other is just stupidly high. 10 to 20 maybe but over 20 is just taking the piss.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I love the idea of a Draconic Spirit Shield and Infernal Spirit Shield, and also the price you would pay for these shields would be worth it, I don't think they would be overpowered at all.

Also, I might try to make some concept art, not sure how good I will do lol :? .

We do not quit playing because we grow old we grow old because we quit playing.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

2mhc00i.png

[hide=Mr. Moocky...]

Elysian is generally considered the best defencive shield where you don't want to burn through prayer potions (compared to devine). Dragonfire beats elysian by 7 stab, 10 stab, 8 magic, 15 range defence, and 7 strength. Elysian beats dragonfire by 1 crush, 3 prayer, 10 magic attack, and 5 range attack. Those small defence losses aren't even worth the range/mage penalties (assuming you're not meleeing) and that's without the 70% chance of a 25% damage reduction. Add that reduction, and elysian is far better then dragonfire especially in high damage situations. Your preposed draconic shield beats elysian by 12 stab, 15 slash, 5 crush, 13 magic, and 18 range, not parcticularily good considering elysian's effect, except it has no attack penalties, 7 strength, and 3 prayer. Now, even for all combat styles, draconic is better then elysian. A draconic visage and a blessed spirit shield costs 19.9m, and elysian spirit shield costs 348.5m. You don't think a shield which costs over 17x as much as the better compition would fall in price...?

I thought it was pretty obvious: reduce it's prayer boost. A logical prayer setup for melee has 35-40 prayer; even if your previous shield was falidor (3) you'd be gaining 26 prayer bonus. That's about a 70% increase in prayer bonus (along with significant defence boosts) for replacing a single item. 15 prayer sounds much more reasonable.

I misunderstood here, I thought you meant prayer would be gained based upon what you hit; however 50%/50% still seems too high. You could for example use zamorak brews to lower your defence (and conveniently, boost your offence) and wear low defence prayer boosting gear such as monk's robes with a mitre stole ect so you get "hit" often, while praying protection and maybe even offencive prayer. Making training easier with lower def is illogical. If it didn't boost your prayer based on "phatom hits" while you are praying protection it would work much better.

Jagex's time and resources are limited though. Obviously, I'm not saying that only updates required to keep the game running should be made, I'm saying that updates should be focused on areas that need updating. As I stated, there are plenty of excellent shield avaliable. Would it make sence for Jagex to spend time making 10 more colours of wizard's hats? No, because we already have many colours to choose from.

[/hide]

Alright, like I said before, the Draconic Spirit Shield isn't really the main part of my suggestions. However, it makes no sense that if you were able to improve the Dragonfire Shield or Blessed Spirit Shield by adding one to the other that you would get absolutely no extra bonuses. If you look at the Dragonfire Shield (Charged)'s stats then you would notice that I tried to follow a pattern. You make good points though. What if a new Sigil were created that was required to be able to put the two together? That way the Draconic Spirit Shield wouldn't be common enough to bludgeon the other's markets.

Now for the Holy Spirit Shield I don't believe you understood what I meant about '20%/20%'. By that I mean that for each time you are hit, there is a 20% chance that you will gain up to 20% of what damage you take or would've taken if you had been hit but are praying. Now I see how if you are taking regular 'potential' 70s from Kree'arra how this is overpowered, so how about for your so-called 'phantom damage' the rate is reduced to 10%/10%? If you feel these numbers are still too high then please offer some you believe are reasonable, but do keep in mind that this is a higher-tier Spirit Shield; its price would likely be just as high as the two existing ones.

Now I believe that you got the Holy and Pious Spirit Shields mixed up. The Holy Spirit Shield offers the Prayer point replenishing effect while the Pious Spirit Shield simply offers a large Prayer bonus. I believe that we can compromise on a +23 Prayer bonus for the Pious Spirit Shield. That way, it's in line with the other 'stat' Spirit Shield bonuses.

2dgucz6.png

Well, here we go, I was actually just thinking of something like this.

Aerocious Spirit Shield (Aero means air)

Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a aero Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, cyan-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling a lightning bolt.

Ability: Increases your attack speed by one bar, and reduces your weight by 1/3.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a aero sigil attached to it.

Stats:

+63 Stab

+65 Slash

+75 Crush

+02 Magic

+57 Ranged

+65 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

0KG weight

Heliacal Spirit Shield(Something to do with sunrises)

Creation: Apply Holy Elixir to a basic Spirit Shield; Attach a Helios Sigil.

Appearance: Translucent, orange-tinted, large white/silver symbol resembling the sun.

Ability: Negates 1/3 of your opponents defense, and allows your weapon to inflict fire damage.

Examine: An ethereal shield with a helios sigil attached to it.

Stats: (for EFFECT Spirit Shields; remains constant.)

+51 Stab

+45 Slash

+39 Crush

+02 Magic

+47 Ranged

+56 Summoning

+00 Strength

+03 Prayer

2KG weight

I reduced the power of each of them a bit.

2Xeo5.png

Thanks for your ideas Ross! They are rather overpowered at the moment, so I'll have a think about them and try to incorporate them into the main post.

Also: images for all of my Spirit Shields added!

2dgucz6.png

You're fully welcome to pose alternative names.

Otherwise, please don't bother posting unless you have something constructive to add.

That was something constructive; I was pointing out how the three words are too similar in meaning, every time jagex has released a collection items the names have been distinct in word and meaning.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Otherwise, please don't bother posting unless you have something constructive to add.

That was something constructive; I was pointing out how the three words are too similar in meaning, every time jagex has released a collection items the names have been distinct in word and meaning.

Pointing out that you believe something is wrong and then not offering the slightest of corrections for it is not constructive.

2dgucz6.png

His comment is constructive if you choose to take it as such, just because he didn't give you a new set of names to copy into your post..

For some more non-constructive advice, I think most of your suggestions are too overpowered. In general. Not just this topic.

Try comparing your suggestions to updates Jagex has made in the past, see if you think they fit in with the feel of existing content.

Although 75% is way too high, I do like the idea of the infernal shield.. like a 180m version of the 1.1k ring of recoil

And just what other of my suggestions have you seen? Don't try to pull the Godsword one out of its grave; I openly admitted that it was a joke and meant to be overpowered. I already got trolled and flamed enough over that from people who couldn't pay attention very well.

Or maybe you're referring to my improvements to the Champion's Challenge minigame. The rewards I proposed were meant to be given assuming you had spent hours and hours completing the minigame, which is how it is now. I can't think of any specifically that were overpowered, but I don't have a copy at hand right now. Those rewards, although not modeled after Recipe for Disaster, could be compared to it. You get a new unique reward for each section you complete.

If you think that something is overpowered, then rather than just saying it's overpowered in general, point out something specific. I absolutely did compare these to past updates; they're modeled after all of the preexisting Spirit Shields (except for the Draconic Spirit Shield, which I am keen to keep tweaking).

I'm glad you offered some sort of concession. The Infernal Spirit Shield seems to be the favorite...

The only reason I posted this suggestion in TIF was to get feedback about how it could or should be changed before I posted it as a 'finished product' in the RSOF. If people just go over and over again how there are things wrong with it then they have defeated the purpose entirely.

2dgucz6.png

Great idea, but I have one suggestion. For the Draconic Spirit Shield, since it acts as an elemental shield, maybe you would have to make an item out of an elemental bar and attach it to the shield in order to complete it, since there is no way that the components could provide the uses of an elemental shield without an elemental bar.

Google is evil!

Donut!

I like pie!

That is all.

Great idea, but I have one suggestion. For the Draconic Spirit Shield, since it acts as an elemental shield, maybe you would have to make an item out of an elemental bar and attach it to the shield in order to complete it, since there is no way that the components could provide the uses of an elemental shield without an elemental bar.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the reason that it 'acts' as an Elemental/Mind Shield is because it blocks icebreath from Wyverns, which the current Dragonfire Shield already does naturally.

2dgucz6.png

He's right you know.. They Are too similar in meaning. Also, his post was constructive seeing as it called to attention the fact that they are similar in meaning. Try changing the names? I'm not one for making up names so I'll leave it to you.

and we don't Really need any more shields do we? We already have four extremely rare, and in my opinion, overpriced shields... If you're saying the sigils would all come from the Corporeal Beast it would just drive prices up even higher. It's a nice idea but the wrong time to implement or even think of implementing it.

erasig.jpg

Well...

I'll put it this way.

Get into a childish state of mind, and look at the velocious spirit shield symbol/sigil...

May want to consider fixing it...

Saintdane555.png

white.gif

I must admit, that's certainly something. Excuse me while I wipe my drool off the floor.

It actually is shaped much differently, but it is an item picture afterall...

Plus you're really the first person to say that... #-o

I may fix it later... :? Most of the sigils look too big in comparison anyway.

2dgucz6.png

imo they're just too bright compared to the old ones :lol:

and maybe a new part of summer's quests to unlock a new monster which drops these sigils ::'

Or a new quest series which involves the spirit realm, with a load of monsters that drop different sigils.

2Xeo5.png

imo they're just too bright compared to the old ones :lol:

and maybe a new part of summer's quests to unlock a new monster which drops these sigils ::'

Or a new quest series which involves the spirit realm, with a load of monsters that drop different sigils.

I agree that they're too bright, and also that I should probably shrink the symbols, but these are fine for now to show the general idea.

I also think that it'd be fine if these came from a new source or had special requirements for being dropped, as long as the new source wasn't much easier than the current. Isn't there some level after corporeal? Real Beast? :lol:

And Ross, your avatar... <3:

2dgucz6.png