New Report

This is pretty simple. There needs to be a report that allows you to report double posts, such as someone not searching and then posting a topic that already exists. Now I know that you can just put other and then write a description, but such a little fix should be able to be added with little difficulty and would allow you to finish the report quicker (not that the whole 4 extra seconds are going to affect anything). It's just more of a convenience change.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Just select other and spend 4 seconds writing up a description. It's not like there is heaps of 'double-topics' around anyway, so adding in another option isn't necessary.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

It's definitely not a necessary change. If you're so worried about spending too much time on reports, you can always just select the "Spam" category and let the moderator figure it out. Of course, spending the extra 4 seconds to type out the problem would be nice.

We cannot have a report option for every single possible thing that could be posted. I think our current options are enough.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I cant even begin to describe how many people report everything as

"The reported post only has the purpose to only advertise another website or product"

Because thats the first dropdown option :roll:

very rarely do people take the time to type anything at all - if something is borerline flame wise, i'll consider the drop down menu item selected and what they typed when I action it, If it's borderline and wrong report catergory and they didnt type anything, I'll probably leave it.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Just select other and spend 4 seconds writing up a description. It's not like there is heaps of 'double-topics' around anyway, so adding in another option isn't necessary.

Exactly that.

Not quite.

This could be said about any option in the report tool for users. Just take the four seconds to write something up. As usual it has been neglected how lazy people truly are, even on the internet. As somewhat illustrated by Das:

I cant even begin to describe how many people report everything as

"The reported post only has the purpose to only advertise another website or product"

Already shows how much people can't even do two simple clicks and one brain process in trying to report a post, or topic for whatever reason or motivation they have behind it. Thus typing out something for four seconds is obviously not a correct or accurate solution to such a problem. Yet it also seems that the report function isn't even being put to good use anyways, as shown again by Das.

Even when the mods are told through the chat what the report is all about, even if it's 100% accurate, they still go through and assess it, as if they hadn't been told anything about it. Well I'm assuming mods actually 'check' or 'confirm' the written responses in the report before taking action...

Thus the entire report system isn't efficient and even if the users do take the time to write a response, it'll either take too long to decipher or more time will be wasted because the mods will still need to investigate anyways. Thus the efficiency of the entire system fails.

Thus the suggestion is invalid and wouldn't do any positive good at all. Though neither would the possible solutions suggested by the first two responses even come close to helping out more than what the original suggestion was suggesting.

Of course, spending the extra 4 seconds to type out the problem would be nice.

This is the only thing I don't quite understand. Even if they write a response, it still needs to be confirmed by finding the user, looking at the content of the post(s) or topic(s), which is basically the same as just investigating without a response in the report form. Missing something am I?

All that bothered me in this thread, which by the way is entirely pointless for any of the real solutions that come to mind are out of the question for the same limitations presented in almost every suggestion posted about in this forum.

Not knowing how hard it would be to implement another reporting feature makes me hesitate to comment, but I will because it so happens I was looking for that exact feature recently.

I'm not sure why that one "double-posting" wouldn't be one of the more common features to report on (along with inappropriate material, spam, off-topic, wrong forum, avatar, promote, or other) and while I can certainly understand that mods would desire more information to be typed into the "further information" section, I think discounting the addition of a helpful pull-down report would actually make it easier for them in those instances where "other" was the only thing reported. It would seem the argument those mods were making would then support the addition of that new report.

...then again, they are the ones that have to deal with the reports and if it doesn't bother them that much to get a large amount of confusing reports, then so be it, right? I think we (those looking for the addition) were just thinking of ways to help...it's a pity so many times it's instead looked at as creating more work, but then again, a small investment of time now usually can mean a large savings in time later.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Personally I don't see double posting as the end of the world thing people make it out to be.

It' s a double reply, message boards do odd things, it doesnt *need* to be removed and it probably wont hurt anything if it isn't removed.

I do agree with rainy that people should type in the other. They often don't - they report a post, it gets closed after being reviewed and then they pm someone because they are amazed something say in OT is left because to them it is offensive (Especially in OT, religion and lactation threads come to mind) - Offensiveness varies by person, and if people would take a minute to write why it was offensive to them, we may be able to work with them better instead of not actioning a report. Infact I just went through 20+ closed reports, over half used the advertising category and nearly ALL didn't write anything, which is annoying.

Perhaps checkboxes over drop downs could be an option, but I can tell you looking at mod logs, that reports are actioned by moderators enough to know that they do research the topic even though the person who filled it out, spent 0 time on it doing so.

The reporting system is very complicated to some individuals, Believe it or not i've seen half of a forum threads game get reported for advertising .... When everything is perfectly fine. Report seems to work fine as is though, Asides from users filling it out correctly, I can't name many flaws with it

As for reports, i'd guess 70 percent of reports are reported under the wrong category with 0 description, so we look at the posts and judge it from their. We have adapted to little information from users

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

over half used the advertising category and nearly ALL didn't write anything, which is annoying.

Maybe if you'd remove the "This can be left blank" at the further information box you'd get less reports without description. Personally, I hardly ever write anything because that message indicates it's not necessary and will only waste a mod's time. I don't think any non-mod knows it's actually a positive thing to put something there.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Of course, spending the extra 4 seconds to type out the problem would be nice.

This is the only thing I don't quite understand. Even if they write a response, it still needs to be confirmed by finding the user, looking at the content of the post(s) or topic(s), which is basically the same as just investigating without a response in the report form. Missing something am I?

It's helpful because sometimes moderators and users don't always see eye to eye. A lot of posts that are reported don't require any action to be taken. But if the reporter types out what they THINK the problem is, we can try to see the post as they see it, and possibly PM them to explain why there isn't a problem. If they just report a post as "Spam" and don't comment further, then I look at it and don't see anything spammy about it, I don't quite understand what they meant or why they thought it was spam. But if they had commented, perhaps I can understand what they were thinking and then PM them and tell them why they were wrong or maybe see something in the post that I didn't see before.

Not sure if that explains it very well, but I did my best :XD:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

over half used the advertising category and nearly ALL didn't write anything, which is annoying.

Maybe if you'd remove the "This can be left blank" at the further information box you'd get less reports without description. Personally, I hardly ever write anything because that message indicates it's not necessary and will only waste a mod's time. I don't think any non-mod knows it's actually a positive thing to put something there.

I do. Tripsis once Pm'ed me asking why I had reported an oversized avatar, so now I always fill in the description whenever I make a report. I always like to make sure the reason I reported something is understood.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I do. Tripsis once Pm'ed me asking why I had reported an oversized avatar, so now I always fill in the description whenever I make a report. I always like to make sure the reason I reported something is understood.

Okay, change any to most. My point still stands though.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif