Sarah Palin resigns as Alaska's governor

Kaphias

All I have to say is good for her. Didn't take the time to read the uber long posts. She will be making some bank now. She already has a book deal that I believe had a forward of 4 million dollars, and after all the math was done, adding payed speeches, etc. She stands to rake in close to 20 million dollars if she plays her cards right. And according to a recent poll, many Alaskans feelings toward Palin have not changed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I hate when people try and present religion as science, and act like there's a debate. As can be seen from your ignorant post about an impending ice age 30 years ago, the "teach both" position has birthed some fruit, fruit that I'd like to avoid in the future with our children.

Yes an ignorant post about how the media was hyped up about the ice age 30 years ago...just like they are hyped up about global warming now.

So teaching creationism(which I never said should be involved with science just philosophy) is now causing people to not believe in global warming...would it be cheesy to call that a flaming strawman?

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Nah, I hate when people try and present religion as science, and act like there's a debate. As can be seen from your ignorant post about an impending ice age 30 years ago, the "teach both" position has birthed some fruit, fruit that I'd like to avoid in the future with our children.

Yes an ignorant post about how the media was hyped up about the ice age 30 years ago...just like they are hyped up about global warming now.

Sorry, but that's the fault of the media, not the science. The science during when the media hyped up about this ice age [cabbage] was saying, for the most part, what it's saying now (with less certainty, as there wasn't a consensus during the 70's).

And what are you talking about them hyping up about global warming? As Lateralus stated on these boards some months ago, I believe climate change is very serious, it's going to cause some serious economic and living dangers in the foreseeable future and no one except for the Nords and Germans are taking it very seriously. We need all the hype we can get.

Unfortunately, the cooling myth is still being hyped up more than ever:

[yt]CORecPLTWAM[/yt]

[yt]XxlnEVVsIT0[/yt]

I still see no hype about global warming on the media. The media likes division and controversy; they're going to report about the cooling myth as this is what causes that.

So teaching creationism(which I never said should be involved with science just philosophy) is now causing people to not believe in global warming...would it be cheesy to call that a flaming strawman?

You call it a strawman, I call your assessment of what I said a strawman. Why? Because I never said that. I said the denial and tactics between the two are interrelated. If I did what you said, though, it would have been a red herring and not a strawman. Teaching both causes confusion, as can be seen in your previous post (and I suspect your current post, as it doesn't sound like you believe in global warming at all, let alone that humans are the cause).

The media is still acting like there's a division about evolution as well by having people like Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron and Casey Luskin:

[yt]P1JQ96ou4WA[/yt]

[yt]Az8k0uzQ6sA[/yt]

Rather than listening to the media's "hype," why not look at the science yourself?

a. I dont have dial up so I genuinly can't watch videos

b. Sean Hannity is an idiot

You call it a strawman, I call your assessment of what I said a strawman. Why? Because I never said that. I said the denial and tactics between the two are interrelated. If I did what you said, though, it would have been a red herring and not a strawman.

I'm referencing the fact that you said someone who didn't believe in evolution wouldn't believe in global warming; sorry if I wasn't clear.

Teaching both causes confusion, as can be seen in your previous post

Only if they are taught in science as two possibilies; as I said a post or two back this type of thing should be dealt with in a philosophy class.

and I suspect your current post, as it doesn't sound like you believe in global warming at all, let alone that humans are the cause

I believe global warming is happening. My faults lie firstly in the fact that I dont see the human race being at risk of destruction, not that I doubt some potentially bad side effects. Secondly, I have my doubts about the extent to which humans are at fault. Obviously, we are increasing the CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and I agree that does induce global warming. Of course, the fear tactic used to try and reduce emissions ignores any thought that there could be other factors(such as patterns in sun spots).

The media is still acting like there's a division about evolution as well by having people like Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron and Casey Luskin:

If the videos are talking about a divide in the scientific community then see note a; I think everyone agrees the scientific community is in agreement about that.

If the videos are talking about the opinions of the general population then there is quite a (unfortunate) divide about what people believe. Im digging up the statistic now, I think something like 60% of americans don't believe in evolution.

edit--heres the link; its 60% dont believe evolution to be definetely true

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Wow, I thought this thread was about Sarah Palin?

Having listened to Palin's speeches and seen her interviews, I can assure you that she is not competent to hold any office. (She denies science. In addition, her sentences do not make sense. They do not mean[/b anything. Words come out of her mouth, but she might as well be saying, "Shoe, baseball, mama, go, kite, store, doggy, want, pizza, funny, person," because they do not string together to form ideas that have meaning. There is a way to understand what she is trying to say, but only in the same way as that if someone said to you, "Food, need, happy, sandwich, want, turkey, stomach, tuna, desire, eating," you would understand that person is hungry.) I am glad that she stepped down as governor of Alaska; I would not wish her be governor of the state of my worst enemy.

Some think that Palin quit because she seeks to be the 2012 Republican presidential nominee. If she did, then I believe that she is even more stupid than I before thought. Why would quitting be a good idea? If she were president of the United States, would she quit with 1.5 years left to serve? By quitting some say that she will be able to campaign, raise funds, and drum up support for herself. She might be able to capture more Republicans' votes, but by quitting I don't think that she will be able to capture any more electoral votes than John McCain (except perhaps Indiana where it was very close, and maybe the Omaha district in Nebraska, which Obama also very narrowly won), and John McCain lost in an absolute landslide. If she does run for president in 2012, then I have confidence that she will lose. As I said before, she is not competent to hold any office; the majority of the country realized that in 2008 and they will vote the same way in 2012. If she runs, it can only mean more years of Democrats in office.

No, I think that the real reason that Sarah Palin quit is to make money. Now that she is not tied down as governor, she will be able to make a lot of speaking deals (which I find ironic as she is a horrible speaker, but I guess that kind of thing hits close to home when she is preaching to the right-wing choir). She also might have quit because she is tired of playing politician and wants to go back to her family. Neither of these reasons are legitimate, though. By quitting, Sarah Palin is saying, "Alaska, I have used you. I did not run for governor to serve my state or my country. I ran for myself. I have gotten everything that I could get out of being the governor of Alaska and now I am done. I do not want to give anything back to the state of Alaska by governing it for one-and-a-half more years." She is disrespecting the office of the governor of Alaska and also her voters. By this action of quitting, she is only shooting herself in the foot.

All in all, I see Sarah Palin quitting as a bad political move for her, but a good thing for our country (as anything that removes Palin from an important position or that hurts Palin's chances of holding an important position ever again is good for our country.) Now, Palin, go forth. Make money on speeches. Be with your family. After all, everyone is naturally entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness. Just don't try to hold the power to make important decisions for your state or country, ever again.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

• 4 weeks later...
I also don't approve of her devotion to religion aswell. Religion + Politics = Destruction.

I'm not religious, but it is "One nation, under God" and "In God we trust."

Runnning as the "head" of a nation that says this, it doesnt make sense why she shouldn't be religious...

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png

I hate politics. They should really just be changed to "Fox News Party" and "Other News Stations". The news stations are the only ones that can change opinions now anyways, because they choose what they air, and they choose which idiot gets to come and talk. If it's Fox news, they get three Republicans with PhDs versus some stereotypical idiot that says he's a Democrat. If it's CNN, they'll do the exact opposite.

It's all [cabbage], and what a competent President would really do is try and make it an actually Democratic process.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream