thinking of barrows

SportsGuy

Thinking of making my first attempts at the Barrows, but I've never attempted it before. Is there a guide out there for first timers? I've read the one on this site, but it seems a little confusing, especially since it seems like there are different methods that all work.

I've got a well-rounded character, but I'd just like a nuts and bolts, do this-then that walkthrough of sorts for the first few times that will cut down on price AND danger. After a few trips, I figure that I'll discover my own methods, but I just want to be absolutely sure I don't lose anything down there.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Well you can't be absolutely sure, but mostly you just want 2 different combat styles, usually mage and range or mage and melee, to deal with all of the brothers and a good ratio of food to prayer pots. It's hard to tell you what a good ratio is, but for now I wouldnt buy too many p pots just because they are so damn expensive atm. Just as an fyi do not restore your prayer in the tunnels until you are fighting the last brother, or else you are just wasing p pots doses. I know that's kind of a lot of random info kinda slapped together, but that's what I've learned from my trips.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

My advice for a trial run would be to use the best salamander for your level, and change attack style to fit the brother, bring plenty of herb tar and prayer potions. Don't expect to make more than break even unless you get mega lucky.

put him in jail

Then i'll just wait for him to drop the e-soap

if someone has a good guide to recommend, I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for a "30+ runs in one trip" or "advanced barrows" guide, but a real good first timer guide.

If I can't find one, I'll try writing one and AoW'ing it.

295/303 Quest Points

well all i can say is this... when i had all 80 stats i brought maybe 3 p pots max and used rune armor yes nubbish lol

inv for barrows - 2-4 pray pots, and rest monks maybe 1 sara brew didnt really need that many though imo

armor - rune and above for chest and legs

boots- d boots

sheild- rune deffender

weapon- whip or d scim, perfer to have dds with you for spec

helm- helm of neiz

cape-any cape

ring- ring of life

ammulet- glory ammulet

set2 - everything same but veracs set instead

p.s. this is all melee method

note: which ever brother you are gonna fight in the end just skip the part in what i am saying like if verac is last you fight in tunnel skip the verac part until the end

verac-for me i kill veracs first since he can go through pray

note: i used pray for all brothers

note 2: if pray melee on veracs his max hit is lowered

torag-once you kill veracs and if you didnt run out of pray kill torags but for torags i normally dont see any point in praying on him considering his set effect does effect the combat part much at all

guthan-after torags kill guthans. i would pray on guthans just so it dont heal on you by some lucky hit but overall guthans doesnt really stand as a big threat

dharoks-now once you killed guthans you should fight dharoks but warning he can hit high once hp is low so i would perfer praying on him to be safe but like always also his accracy using dharoks is quite bad

note: not sure max hit is

ahrims or karils- now for these two it is super easy to win with pray but if no pray i would have to say karils is more dangerous considering the accuracy even if you are wearing melee armor while as for ahrims its mainly a threat not coz its a mage but because it lower your stats alot if you get hit alot but if you are not going to pray aganst ahrims i would suggest d hide armor.

note: you can bank and come back and resume on which ever brother you had to kill since it does not reset until you finish the barrows run.

the brother to spec on is karils or ahrims and veracs. a d mace can be used since of its accuracy and high damage.

thank you for reading unj238's noob melee barrowing from yours truly a noob called unj238 :lol:

unj238.png

99 defence reached 7/7/09

99 strength reached 12/28/08

barrow drop since 7/7/09

ahrims top(1), guthan spear(1), dharok legs(1), verac helm(1)

The one on the site's ancient and a bit out-dated. I'll link you to a guide that I used to get me started on Barrows. it has a lot of info.

Here's a new one that's in the AOW: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=764268

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

At your levels, you should need no more than 2 doses of prayer pot per run, and you will likely get through most runs using 1 or none, but it varies depending on which brother you get in the tunnels. Here is what I bring - you can replace much of the equipment with more expensive, better stuff, but I really don't think it's necessary:

I wear:

Rune plate & legs

Dragon boots

Fury

God cape

Neitiz helm

Barrows gloves

Black salamander

Harra tar

Ring of life

I carry:

Spade (DO NOT FORGET!)

Abyssal whip

Magic shortbow

Mithril arrows

Black dhide legs and body

Elemental Shield

Home teletab

2 4 dose prayer pots

10 monkfish

First, dig at Dharok's tomb. Turn on melee prayer, search his tomb, kill him with your salamander on magic. Then go to Karil, turn on range prayer, equip your whip, and kill him. You are going to kill the rest of the brothers without prayer - first up is Ahrim. Put on your dhides, equip your bow & arrows, and kill Ahrim. After this, put your melee armor back on, equip your salamnder, and kill the remaining 3 brothers without praying, eating when necessary. Go down and kill your tunnel brother, then tab home, refill your prayer, portal to Canifis, bank, and head back down to the barrows.

A couple of notes - I've found a bow and arrows is better for killing Ahrim than using the salamander on the ranged setting. It just kills him faster - not sure why. Second, you will use anywhere from 2-6 monkfish, on average, but unless you end up with Karil or Dharok in the tunnels, you will not need to drink any of your prayer potions, since these are the only brothers you will need to pray on. If you bring better melee armor than rune, you will use less food each run, but regardless, conserving prayer saves you a ton of money in the long run.

At your levels, you should need no more than 2 doses of prayer pot per run, and you will likely get through most runs using 1 or none, but it varies depending on which brother you get in the tunnels. Here is what I bring - you can replace much of the equipment with more expensive, better stuff, but I really don't think it's necessary:

I wear:

Rune plate & legs

Dragon boots

Fury

God cape

Neitiz helm

Barrows gloves

Black salamander

Harra tar

Ring of life

I carry:

Spade (DO NOT FORGET!)

Abyssal whip

Magic shortbow

Mithril arrows

Black dhide legs and body

Elemental Shield

Home teletab

2 4 dose prayer pots

10 monkfish

First, dig at Dharok's tomb. Turn on melee prayer, search his tomb, kill him with your salamander on magic. Then go to Karil, turn on range prayer, equip your whip, and kill him. You are going to kill the rest of the brothers without prayer - first up is Ahrim. Put on your dhides, equip your bow & arrows, and kill Ahrim. After this, put your melee armor back on, equip your salamnder, and kill the remaining 3 brothers without praying, eating when necessary. Go down and kill your tunnel brother, then tab home, refill your prayer, portal to Canifis, bank, and head back down to the barrows.

A couple of notes - I've found a bow and arrows is better for killing Ahrim than using the salamander on the ranged setting. It just kills him faster - not sure why. Second, you will use anywhere from 2-6 monkfish, on average, but unless you end up with Karil or Dharok in the tunnels, you will not need to drink any of your prayer potions, since these are the only brothers you will need to pray on. If you bring better melee armor than rune, you will use less food each run, but regardless, conserving prayer saves you a ton of money in the long run.

note that you need tar to use salamander am i wrong? what i said is for melee plus my method does use more pray pots to be safe but also has more room for food coz if you run out of food in the tunnels '' oh dear no food for last brother x.x''

unj238.png

barrow drop since 7/7/09

Basically, you have 3 main methods of barrow-ing with magic:

1. Wear robes, use magic, and pray the whole time.

2. Wear low defense armor that doesn't hinder your magic too much, pray most of the time.

3. Wear high defense armor, hardly pray at all.

I do method 3.

Here's my armor setup, and my inventory:

barrows.png

{You can replace some of this stuff- Fury>Glory, Skillcape>Mage arena cape>Obby cape, Barrows gloves>Other stat boosting glove or bracelet, Karils bow>Rune cbow, etc}

I fill up my prayer before I go. I use slayer dart, which requires mind and death runes and 55 slayer.

First, I go down the Dharok mound. If it isn't a tunnel, I use protect melee and kill him.

Second, I kill Karil using protect range.

Third, I go to Verac. If I have any prayer points left I use them here, but it isn't necessary.

Fourth, Torag. Easy kill, no prayer.

Fifth, Guthan. Also quite easy, no prayer needed.

Sixth, I put on my black d'hide, equip my karil's cbow, and kill Ahrim. He can get a couple good hits in, but most of the time he won't hit much, so no prayer is needed.

Now, of course, one of those crypts will contain a tunnel. Skip it, kill all the other brothers, and come back.

I equip my whip, and go into the tunnel. This part is a bit confusing at first, but you learn your way around it after a while. Basically, the tunnel is a 3x3 square, with the chest in the middle.

If my tunnel was in Karil or Dharok's crypt, when I run into them, I drink 2-3 doses of my prayer pot, turn on the corresponding protect prayer, re-equip my staff, and kill them.

If it was Ahrim/Verac/Torag/Guthan, I do the same thing, except I don't use any prayer.

I get my kill count to around 10-15 before opening the chest, then use my teletab to get out. I use house tabs, since I have an altar and a canifis portal there. I charge my pray, go through my portal, bank, and run back to barrows.

Personally, this method works extremely well for me.

I hardly use any pray pots (about 2 or 3 doses per 5 trips), I usually only need to eat 5 monks at the most, and since slayer dart uses mind/death runes and you get mind/death runes as a reward from barrows, I don't pay for runes either.

This method is virtually costless, except for the occasional prayer pot and minimal food intake.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

A black salamander is cheaper and faster than using slayer dart.

no, actually, its not

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I don't really see how it's cheaper, as I never pay for runes because I get so many from the barrows chest. You still have to pay for your salamander ammo (though I'm sure it doesn't cost much, no cost is still better than a small cost).

I don't know if it's faster, but even if it is, it's two handed, and I personally value the prayer/attack bonuses of a prayer book over a minimal speed increase.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

[/hide]

It's a significant speed increase, because the salamander attacks significantly faster than you can cast spells, and has a higher max hit - so you will use less food against the melee brothers because you will kill them faster.

Also, every cast of magic dart costs 340 coins. Each shot from a black salamander costs 254 coins. The magic dart runes aren't free just because you get them from the barrows chest. You still use up 340 coins worth of runes each shot.

Again, I still value the bonuses of a prayer book far more than a speed increase. I've been to barrows with friends who were using salamanders, and we still killed the brothers in just about the same amount of time, if not faster with the slayer dart.

You may be right about the cost, though I still prefer slayer dart.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[/hide]

Personally, I don't use slayer dart/black salamander. I prefer melee for some odd reason.

EQUIPMENT:

-Verac's helm

-Amulet of fury/glory (fury looks cooler)

-Verac's brassard

-Verac's skirt

-dragon boots

-defence cape(t)

-Flail

-ring of life (internet connection sucks)

-Barrows gloves

INVENTORY:

-1 super attack

-1 super strength

-3 prayer pots

-whip

-DDS

-spade

-house tabs

-several monkfish

I always use the shortcut from Canifis to Mort'ton. When I get to the Barrows, I walk onto Dharok's mound and drink the super set. Then, I go down and turn on quick pray (default is melee protect and piety) and kill Dharok. Then, I go to Karil and turn on quick pray and change the melee prayer to range prayer and DDS him. Then, I go to Ahrim and use the rest of my prayer on him and use any remaining DDS specials/verac him. If I still have any prayer left, I go to Verac and kill him quickly with prayer turned on (I get flamed for this, but I don't give a damn :P ). After Verac, I make my way towards Guthan and then Torag. I will only sip any of my prayer potions if and only if I have Dharok in my tunnels, then I just quickly sip a pot and hit the quick prayer button as soon as I see him, then I just Verac him to death. If I see Ahrim or Karil, I just DDS them. Also, I like to use my whip to get my KC in the tunnels, which I get to at least 16. Once I'm at the chest, I might eat a few of my monkfish to make room for the loot and then I search it. If the loot filled up all my inventory space, I ALWAYS check on the floor for any items. Then, I just use the tab to my house and recharge prayer at my altar and then go back to Canifis through my portal.

It's about 1-2M profit per day in runes and bolt racks alone. I usually get at least one Barrows item a day. Of course, I probably wouldn't recommend you to do it the way I do it because I have maxed stats, but it certainly works for me.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I appreciate it, but i'm trying to do it for the first time with my stats (all combat at 80, prayer 71 on the verge of 72 if I did a little training).

I'm not gonna buy barrows gear to do the barrows, so I'll have to live with all the stuff I do have...lots of other good stuff, but that's what I'm looking for...basically, a bare minimum of how to survive it the first time without much danger, then I'll get more and more brave the more runs i make.

295/303 Quest Points

For a bare minimum, just choose either salamander, magic, or melee, and put on whatever armor/weapon you're willing to risk. Regardless of which style you choose, bring a melee weapon and some armor with decent defense for the tunnels, and put on a ring of life.

Put 3 or 4 prayer pots in your inventory. Fill the rest with food, but don't forget your spade and a teleport out (one-click tele is advised, like a teletab or something, just in case you need to get out quick).

Use pray for everything, eat when necessary, etc.

You'll be able to get a feel for what you're doing, and figure out how it works, although you'll probably use up a lot of prayer pots in the process XD

Good luck & have fun ;D

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[/hide]

Bare minimum would be prossy praying on all the brothers. Learn to use the tunnel safespots as it helps a great deal with dharok and verac (both will either cost you prayer doses or lots of food).

Depends what gear you have already though.

If your all 80 melee take a whip+rune defender for ahrim and karils as well as a dose of combat potion.

Depending on your magic level use a form of wave or salamander (personally I always use a normal spell as they allow you to safespot in the tunnels).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Prayer boosting gear is a waste. Barrows drains your prayer by 10 points at regular intervals, and the intervals become shorter the more brothers you kill - almost all of your prayer drain will come from this, not from praying. So whatever you decide, don't bother trying to add in a prayer bonus. Just focus on your offensive bonuses for whatever you decide, but killing the melee brothers with anything besides mage will probably take too long at your levels.

[hide=]

Basically, you have 3 main methods of barrow-ing with magic:

1. Wear robes, use magic, and pray the whole time.

2. Wear low defense armor that doesn't hinder your magic too much, pray most of the time.

3. Wear high defense armor, hardly pray at all.

I do method 3.

Here's my armor setup, and my inventory:

barrows.png

{You can replace some of this stuff- Fury>Glory, Skillcape>Mage arena cape>Obby cape, Barrows gloves>Other stat boosting glove or bracelet, Karils bow>Rune cbow, etc}

I fill up my prayer before I go. I use slayer dart, which requires mind and death runes and 55 slayer.

First, I go down the Dharok mound. If it isn't a tunnel, I use protect melee and kill him.

Second, I kill Karil using protect range.

Third, I go to Verac. If I have any prayer points left I use them here, but it isn't necessary.

Fourth, Torag. Easy kill, no prayer.

Fifth, Guthan. Also quite easy, no prayer needed.

Sixth, I put on my black d'hide, equip my karil's cbow, and kill Ahrim. He can get a couple good hits in, but most of the time he won't hit much, so no prayer is needed.

Now, of course, one of those crypts will contain a tunnel. Skip it, kill all the other brothers, and come back.

I equip my whip, and go into the tunnel. This part is a bit confusing at first, but you learn your way around it after a while. Basically, the tunnel is a 3x3 square, with the chest in the middle.

If my tunnel was in Karil or Dharok's crypt, when I run into them, I drink 2-3 doses of my prayer pot, turn on the corresponding protect prayer, re-equip my staff, and kill them.

If it was Ahrim/Verac/Torag/Guthan, I do the same thing, except I don't use any prayer.

I get my kill count to around 10-15 before opening the chest, then use my teletab to get out. I use house tabs, since I have an altar and a canifis portal there. I charge my pray, go through my portal, bank, and run back to barrows.

Personally, this method works extremely well for me.

I hardly use any pray pots (about 2 or 3 doses per 5 trips), I usually only need to eat 5 monks at the most, and since slayer dart uses mind/death runes and you get mind/death runes as a reward from barrows, I don't pay for runes either.

This method is virtually costless, except for the occasional prayer pot and minimal food intake.

[/hide]

This is similar to the method I use now. I'm currently level 103, been going to barrows since level 75. What I recommend for the first try is to use the method where you use prayer on all 5 of the brothers, just so you can get the feel of it. Work your way up to the method depicted above, thats what I did. I've tried chaos gloves/fire bolts, ancients, melee, and the slayer dart method, and I can say that slayer dart is definitely my favorite and the least expensive. Ice_Goddess2 is correct when she says you hardly ever use prayer potions while doing it this way, the only reason you would ever need to use one is if you got a Dhorak tunnel.

Barrows seems intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun, easy and profitable.

Good luck!

seetons.png

Feel free to HYT me in-game =)

~~3,483rd to 99 Thieving, Feb 22, 2008~~

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin (& Hobbes)

just bring good armor, monks, spade, 4 or 5 p pots, and a way to kill most likely i would recommend slayer dart. for me this is my setup too and i do 4-5 runs no banking. barrows are really fun look at my sig the ahrim top, guth spear, dh legs was all obtained in 3 hours thats really good luck for me today

unj238.png

barrow drop since 7/7/09