Did You Know...? (Pt. 2)

muggiwhplar

Following my first trick in this series, comes part two...

Extremely Reliable Protection from being KO'd

Difficulty to master: 1/10

Helpfulness: 8/10

Requirements: Phoenix necklaces (optional: ring of life)

Ever get sick of being rushed or PJ'd in the wilderness and getting killed in 2 hits? That the only way to survive those attacks is to get a 400M+ shield? Or that you're only safe in secluded areas?

Did you know that with 3.5k you can buy a phoenix necklace off the GE to solve all your problems? Or, with a gold bar, a cut diamond, 56 crafting, and 57 magic, you can create your own? You might be asking, "Why would I wanna wear a cruddy necklace that yields no stat boosts when I could be wearing a glory or a fury instead?" Well, the answer is simple. Basically, whenever your HP falls below 20%, the necklace will add 30% of your max HP to your current HP.

Now, when it comes to being rushed by a DDS, a dark bow, or dragon claws, these things are wonderful. The way the necklace works is it checks each individual attack of the aforementioned special. Meaning, if you're at 20hp, and your opponent hits 8-40 with the dark bow, the first hit (8) will activate the necklace, healing you. And, as an added bonus, all further hits from the special will magically disappear! So, instead of getting hit for 48 damage, you get hit for only 8, and you get healed 29hp (if you're 99hp).

However, to make things fair, the necklace will NOT omit every hit which could potentially kill you. For example, if the ranger hits 40-8 with his spec instead, you'll die because you have less than 40hp. Thus, as long as you keep your HP above about 45-50, you shouldn't have any problems being rushed.

Now, let's take a look at some examples:

claws.gif

In this clip, since I only have 3hp, my friend had a good chance of hitting a 3 as his first out of four hits in his dragon claws special. As a result, I'm killed :P

claws2.gif

Similar to the aforementioned clip, I still couldn't survive with 20hp.

claws3.gif

Fortunately, I think the max hit of the first dragon claws special is in the 30s somewhere. As a result, I survived this one, and the necklace nullified the following 3 hits.

dark2.gif

In this clip, I manage to survive with only 7hp because my friend's first dark bow hit is only a 5. Again, the second hit is omitted, and the necklace heals me.

dark1.gif

Again, in this clip I manage to survive the dark bow special, and the second hit is omitted again.

So, what have we learned?

While the necklace will not grant you 100% immunity from being killed, it will give you an EXTREMELY large chance of surviving special attacks, so long as your HP is about 45-50. However, as shown above, you can still survive even the most powerful attacks with less than 10hp :) Don't forget to eat and/or drink after using your necklace too. At 99hp from 1hp, the necklace, plus a shark, plus a dose of Saradomin brew will heal you 65hp in one turn!

Also, when it comes to "normal" hits like the whip, AGS, and Dharoks, the necklace should not be relied on too heavily. However, when people rush with those weapons, they usually can't kill you instantly w/o maging you first. In which case, you just slap on melee prayer as soon as you see the "You have been frozen..." message. What about range prayer? Well, the necklace takes care of that for you ;) Similarly, I believe people who are legitimately PK'ing with an AGS deserve a massive advantage for what they're risking.

Remember, the necklace will disintegrate immediately upon use. Therefore, it is wise to keep an extra 2-3 necklaces in your inventory if/when the first is used up.

So there you go. Make good use of it - hopefully people start using these and searching for more innovative ways to survive in the wilderness, rather than just complain about how impossible it is to survive a fight without being rushed or PJ'd.

77yLQy8.png

These things are great; I have many of them stocked in my bank.

Just get a Dragon Spear and some of these. Someone rushes you, special and put on one, they attack again, you survive and use special again, etc.

Except it doesn't prevent against AGS attacks which when you're fighting someone else you have no chance to protect against as you'll already be low hp from fighting someone else. So you don't only get "rushed" when out of combat and with an ice spell first. You have no way to prevent that from happening and hope you just have to get lucky.

Except it doesn't prevent against AGS attacks which when you're fighting someone else you have no chance to protect against as you'll already be low hp from fighting someone else.

If someone's standing next to you with his AGS out, eager to spec you, usually people attack them because of their shiny sword. Otherwise, you should be well aware of what's going to happen when your opponent takes a break from attacking you. Melee pray. Run away. Call a friend. Do ANYTHING other than complain about having no chances of survival in that situation.

77yLQy8.png

I for one don't like phoenix necklaces, and would prefer the strength bonus from strength amulet.

Ill keep it in mind if i ever decide to risk an expensive item (i never will) in pvp.

I think this advice is mainly for skillers. Judging from your posts, I have no doubt that your str amulet is fusioned to your body.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I for one don't like phoenix necklaces, and would prefer the strength bonus from strength amulet.

Ill keep it in mind if i ever decide to risk an expensive item (i never will) in pvp.

I think this advice is mainly for skillers. Judging from your posts, I have no doubt that your str amulet is fusioned to your body.

Not really, I wear them when PKing all the time lol

77yLQy8.png

Except it doesn't prevent against AGS attacks which when you're fighting someone else you have no chance to protect against as you'll already be low hp from fighting someone else.

If someone's standing next to you with his AGS out, eager to spec you, usually people attack them because of their shiny sword. Otherwise, you should be well aware of what's going to happen when your opponent takes a break from attacking you. Melee pray. Run away. Call a friend. Do ANYTHING other than complain about having no chances of survival in that situation.

If I'm fighting someone else I have most of my concentration on fighting them and most of the time the "rusher" in this case stands at the edge of the screen out of the way and most of them have protect from melee on, thus no one attacks them.

There are a lot of "breaks" during a fight due to the way the combat system works, are you saying I should put protect from melee on and run away every time? No, especially as most of the times when I can be attacked is when I'm close to KOing someone so why should I have to run away.

Jagex need to make it that if you've been in combat at all in the last 10 seconds (attacking or attacked another player) then you can't be attacked until after those 10 seconds.

I never realized how awesome Phoenix necklaces were!

I don't PvP though so I probably won't ever end up using one of them, but for future reference these could be handy in many situations.

Kudos to you for the awesome pictures and explanation. If I ever decide to do something on a PvP world, I'm taking your advice.

Jagex need to make it that if you've been in combat at all in the last 10 seconds (attacking or attacked another player) then you can't be attacked until after those 10 seconds.

100% agreement with you there. It would instantly solve the player jumping problem.

If I'm fighting someone else I have most of my concentration on fighting them and most of the time the "rusher" in this case stands at the edge of the screen out of the way and most of them have protect from melee on, thus no one attacks them.

There are a lot of "breaks" during a fight due to the way the combat system works, are you saying I should put protect from melee on and run away every time? No, especially as most of the times when I can be attacked is when I'm close to KOing someone so why should I have to run away.

It's not that difficult to be aware of your surroundings. It's only hard when there's dozens of people around you... in which case the dozens of others are usually keeping an eye on those with expensive PJing gear. My point is, there aren't any situations like this in which you have a 0% chances of survival. If there were, then everybody would be exploiting that (granted, people exploit the system and unprepared people die anyway).

Plus, people ambushing you with an AGS in the middle of the fight should occur less and less after these updates.

77yLQy8.png

It's not that difficult to be aware of your surroundings. It's only hard when there's dozens of people around you... in which case the dozens of others are usually keeping an eye on those with expensive PJing gear. My point is, there aren't any situations like this in which you have a 0% chances of survival. If there were, then everybody would be exploiting that (granted, people exploit the system and unprepared people die anyway).

Plus, people ambushing you with an AGS in the middle of the fight should occur less and less after these updates.

Why will it be occurring less? Perhaps ever so slightly but most of the people that did it previously did so with protect melee on, they're going to be still be doing that with the same chance of death as they had previously. Don't think I've ever seen a claws/AGS rusher get killed before this update and doubt it will happen now after. People are still going to be doing it and there's nothing you can do to stop them other than getting lucky with what they hit on you.

Why will it be occurring less? Perhaps ever so slightly but most of the people that did it previously did so with protect melee on, they're going to be still be doing that with the same chance of death as they had previously. Don't think I've ever seen a claws/AGS rusher get killed before this update and doubt it will happen now after. People are still going to be doing it and there's nothing you can do to stop them other than getting lucky with what they hit on you.

Good point, however as I said earlier I perceive them as more of an inconvenience than a threat :P

77yLQy8.png

I for one, pj regularly, and the person im pjing rarely realizes im there, its normally the randoms walking around that see me with my rune 2h/darkbow/whatever the hell i use that attack me for no apparent reason, not many pkers look at the edge of there screen while they are getting pounded for 20 damage.

O.O

Well, bye bye cheap Phoenix necklace prices. I've known about this for awhile now (Thank you Muggiwhplar) and it works amazingly to prevent Kos. While it does shine with multiple attacks, it still works wonders against a whip or Godsword, as long as they hit between around 1-23 Hp, you will be healed, so no more red-barring, and its healing without an attack turn gone.

Wish i stocked up on em before I left now

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.