Windows XP on my Mac with Bootcamp

Blake

I have a Macbook, and I need to run BootCamp for some windows OS programs, most notably Oblivion. I do not want to spend $300 on Vista, so I am buying XP.

http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixphofuve.html

Is this a good place to buy it from? It says it works with boot camp, and I think it is a good site, but it says it is an OEM version, and I dont know what that means. It says it will work with bootcamp. Can someone tell me if it will?

EDIT: I got XP installed on my mac \', but there are no programs or anything at all on it, not even a program that will let me connect to a wifi. The desktop is completely empty except the recycle bin. In the setup guide for bootcamp, it says after you install xp you have to put in the Mac OS X disc to install other drivers, but I wont be able to do that as my installation cd for Mac is halfway across the country. After I install that CD again, will it be back to normal and ill be able to connect to a network and stuff?

2s0cxth.png

Use the tech and computers forum for this.

And its probably pirated, cause xp and office costs around 200 bucks together.

You can barely find xp nowadays because MS is dumb and thinks vista is better so they stopped selling it i think.

Will it work the same as a genuine OS, like will it crash all the time or give me viruses or something?

This is in the description of it on the website-

Attention:

By pressing this button you agree that you are purchasing the software that does NOT include any COA label or a sticker from the manufacturer & comes on a CD ,There is no technical support provided by the software manufacturer. You can still get automatic updates. You will receive the Full version on CD & a volume license key number only. All the software we offer in the English language only.

2s0cxth.png

How much time before you can't buy it?

You should get other peoples' opinions first before declaring it's not legit..

But it's true that MS have stopped selling Windows XP.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yeah I reported that it was in the wrong forum so that a mod would move it :P, no need to create a 2nd one.

Here's a review from that page that other person posted on your other thread

SCAM!!! DANGEROUS!!! MANY complaints posted on many other consumer warning sites. Based on the sheer VOLUME of complaints against this site, I am compelled to post this warning. If something sounds too good to be true, IT IS! Do Not give your personal information on this site. You will NOT receive software, but they WILL take your money!!!

... doesn't sound very trustworthy since someone else complained about ordering an xp cd and not receiving anything.

EDIT:

Can I still buy Windows XP now? I'm confused. Some places have it, some don't.

We understand your confusion. On June 30, Microsoft stopped distributing Windows XP as a stand-alone product shrink-wrapped in the store. We'll also stop sending it to Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other major PC manufacturers who would sell PCs that exclusively run Windows XP.

All and all, Windows XP isn't going to disappear overnight. If you need Windows XP, you can still get it through what we call "downgrade rights" that downgrade a new PC with Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows XP.

Also, you may see devices called Netbooks or ultra-low cost PCs (ULCPC) running Windows XP Home. We intend to sell Windows XP Home for these machines with limited hardware capabilities to run until June 2010. (Read about the ULCPC program on Microsoft Presspass.)

You may even still see copies of the software, or computers pre-loaded with it, as stores and PC makers work through their inventory. Smaller, local PC makersknown in the industry as "system builders"can continue to sell PCs with Windows XP until January 2009.

Judging by that quote I think you'll have to hunt around..

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yes, I wont be buying it from there. So where can I get it then?

I found this on Newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Software+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116511

But it says for system builders, and OEM, what do those mean? Will it work with bootcamp?

2s0cxth.png

Found a good website that is selling it, but it is also an OEM version and I dont know what that means. But on the website, it says it will work with Bootcamp, so that is good. Can someone tell me if it is good?

TigerDirect

If Newegg wants my business they can simplify their search.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I got XP installed on my mac \', but there are no programs or anything at all on it, not even a program that will let me connect to a wifi. The desktop is completely empty except the recycle bin. In the setup guide for bootcamp, it says after you install xp you have to put in the Mac OS X disc to install other drivers, but I wont be able to do that as my installation cd for Mac is halfway across the country. After I install that CD again, will it be back to normal and ill be able to connect to a network and stuff?

2s0cxth.png

I got XP installed on my mac \', but there are no programs or anything at all on it, not even a program that will let me connect to a wifi. The desktop is completely empty except the recycle bin. In the setup guide for bootcamp, it says after you install xp you have to put in the Mac OS X disc to install other drivers, but I wont be able to do that as my installation cd for Mac is halfway across the country. After I install that CD again, will it be back to normal and ill be able to connect to a network and stuff?
Yes. The CD contains drivers for the machine.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Found a good website that is selling it, but it is also an OEM version and I dont know what that means. But on the website, it says it will work with Bootcamp, so that is good. Can someone tell me if it is good?

TigerDirect

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116511

How is their search difficult at all? I just typed "XP SP3" and found what he needed in 5 seconds...

The newegg SP3 looks good to me - But I still dont know what OEM is and if it will work for bootcamp, because in the setup guide it says its not recommended to use OEM.

And I'm just having my friend mail me the cd, so the drivers arent a problem now.

2s0cxth.png

TigerDirect

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116511

How is their search difficult at all? I just typed "XP SP3" and found what he needed in 5 seconds...

I would tend to agree with you. Some people are handy capped. Hint: mac.

Sloter - That brings up a whole new topic ill make later, im thinking about selling this macbook, and either buying a macbook pro, building a computer or buying a different one, but thats for another day

2s0cxth.png

Still need the question answered-what is OEM and will it work with Boot Camp

OEM will jsut have the cd and serial. Won't come with all the [cabbage]. I don't think you get support with it but i don't think that is a big deal.

So it is the full version, just without the box and manual and stuff? The cd is no different than the one that comes in the box? Also, is there only one product key on it that you can use, so like only one computer can download it?

2s0cxth.png