Out of Touch

Michaael

I think that they should reduce the cost of shards from the shops, and then de-link shards in the GE from shards in the shops. Then you can buy from GE in large large quantities, but for more than it costs to get from store. This allows a simple merchanter to buy shards from the store and sell on GE for a profit. However, I do think more than 75kish shards should be in the shops.

I wouldn't care about the summoning shop so much if you didn't have to buy in quantities of 500 :wall:

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

That's the problem I have with Jagex lately though. I don't pay them for "guess and check" method updates, I want them to get it right the first time and not worry about fixing it with next weeks update.

Babe Ruth had more strike outs than anybody - what a loser.

Michael Jordon, that no talent hack has missed 15000 shots in professional games - obviously his career went no where.

The "Get it right the first time" mentality sounds good, but leads to you doing nothing out of fear of failing. By going out there and be willing to mess up, you are willing to do more that leads to success. I for one am glad Jagex is willing to release content on almost a weekly basis. Yeah, they drop duds and bugs, but along with that comes content that's entertaining hundreds of thousands on a weekly basis. There's merit in cheap and quick.

Plus, they're not failing and saying "so what", they QA, release, then tweek/repair as needed. This creates a determined study approach to game development that guys like Blizzard are just not able to touch. Instead of waiting 2 years for an 20 million dollar "uber" release that could eventually get canceled, we get cheap entertainment at a high turnover. Take your pick, or take both.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

That's the problem I have with Jagex lately though. I don't pay them for "guess and check" method updates, I want them to get it right the first time and not worry about fixing it with next weeks update.

Michael Jordon, that no talent hack has missed 15000 shots in professional games - obviously his career went no where.

The "Get it right the first time" mentality sounds good, but leads to you doing nothing out of fear of failing. By going out there and be willing to mess up, you are willing to do more that leads to success. I for one am glad Jagex is willing to release content on almost a weekly basis. Yeah, they drop duds and bugs, but along with that comes content that's entertaining hundreds of thousands on a weekly basis. There's merit in cheap and quick.

Plus, they're not failing and saying "so what", they QA, release, then tweek/repair as needed. This creates a determined study approach to game development that guys like Blizzard are just not able to touch. Instead of waiting 2 years for an 20 million dollar "uber" release that could eventually get canceled, we get cheap entertainment at a high turnover. Take your pick, or take both.

+1

Honestly if you can create a game as complicated as RS and with as many updates as they have without a single bug or glitch out of those updates then props to you. Lets see you do it.

And really, most of these bug and glitches they can't find until it's actually released because most of them are hidden. Like the Jad glitch hitting through prayer, who would have found that until it was released? Like Andrew said in the answers he gave, they have to test their updates through so many computers, browsers Etc. It's almost impossible for them to actually have an update and be able to figure out all the possible bugs and glitches within that update.

The Shard-limit is easy enough to work around;

just buy some summoning pouches on GE and then turn them into shards at Bogrog :?

that's what i've done for months anyway. Only problem now is that everyone else is going to do it and I won't get such a good deal anymore lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Posting from my phone so please bear with me.

First, I would like to throw a bit of conspiracy into the gears and say that I believe that the shops' current stock levels are in place to deminish the stockpiles that people have already. As they are commonly used for junk trading for less than 20 gp each, I think that Jagex is limiting the amount we can get for a while for the sole purpose of getting some of the abundance out of the game. This goes for broad tips, bird meat, and any other item that has ridiculously low stock as well. I think the fact that this was geared towards anti-junk shows that this is plausable.

And second, perhaps I speak for myself here but I agree that it seems that Jagex is out of touch with the gamers. However things are not always what they seem. I agree that this year has been very disappointing when it comes to updates but we have been told that this is all leading somewhere in the future. Basically it is kind of like the squirrel that stores nuts for the winter. Unfortunately, winter may never come for me as less new content is pulling back the curtain of what this game really is. And what this game really is - is boring. No one likes the grind and up until this year, we have had something each week to take our minds off of the grind. Now that this is all but nonexsistant, all I am faced with is the grind. Jagex has, in the past, covered this up with steady updates but this year, I have been consantly reminded of hpw lame combat is, how slow mining is, how unuseful 60m really is... for that I think Jagex has lost sight of what is important in a grind fest game like Runescape, smoke and mirrors.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

Actually, I used to feel the same. But, I realized that Jagex is not blind to their own game. They know perfectly well what they are doing, and they develop the game according to their vision. However, they ARE out of touch with the player meta-game, and they don't base most of the updates on this meta-game. (by meta-game, I mean the aspects of the game that the players choose to focus mainly on).

Do they do a good job at giving players tons of reasons to grind skills for 100s of hours? No. There are little use for 90+ skills.

Do they do a good job at maintaining a safe, casual, and fair gaming environment? Absolutely. I think Jagex does a wonderful job with their game, its just not what most players of MMORPGs want these days...

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

[hide=]

+1

Honestly if you can create a game as complicated as RS and with as many updates as they have without a single bug or glitch out of those updates then props to you. Lets see you do it.

And really, most of these bug and glitches they can't find until it's actually released because most of them are hidden. Like the Jad glitch hitting through prayer, who would have found that until it was released? Like Andrew said in the answers he gave, they have to test their updates through so many computers, browsers Etc. It's almost impossible for them to actually have an update and be able to figure out all the possible bugs and glitches within that update.

[/hide]

I agree with you guys, you can't have anything good without risk of failing. BUT, on the other hand, this is something I PAY FOR. Shouldn't the service we get be just a bit better?

Plus, they're not failing and saying "so what", they QA, release, then tweek/repair as needed. This creates a determined study approach to game development that guys like Blizzard are just not able to touch

But they do say "so what". Mobolizing Armies release a player lost 150M to a glitch by just logging out (was it 150 or a bigger sum? I honestly can't remember, but it was a lot of money). They apologize to him but don't return the money. Don't tell me Blizzard can't compete with that because Blizzard actually returns items due to glitches or hacking. My friend has been hacked multiple times in WoW and his items were replaced very quickly.

I'm not going to go on a WoW rant here but I did buy the game because 1) the game is based around high level content and 2) their customer support is excellent. Everything Runescape is lacking for me right now.

I understand that they can't catch every glitch, it's nearly impossible. But things like the MA glitch and the day when GWD bosses and other large monsters wouldn't attack back are simply unacceptable to me.

They try hard but nobody can deny that things like PvP have been "guess and check" updates, and still are. If they had got PvP right the first time, we could have had more quests or anything else that freed up devolopment time.

I would rather wait 3 months for several great, thoroughly tested updates than have them on a weekly basis and see changes being made to them over the next few weeks or read more about the game breaking glitches than the actual updates on the forums.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

[hide=]

+1

[/hide]

I agree with you guys, you can't have anything good without risk of failing. BUT, on the other hand, this is something I PAY FOR. Shouldn't the service we get be just a bit better?

Plus, they're not failing and saying "so what", they QA, release, then tweek/repair as needed. This creates a determined study approach to game development that guys like Blizzard are just not able to touch

But they do say "so what". Mobolizing Armies release a player lost 150M to a glitch by just logging out (was it 150 or a bigger sum? I honestly can't remember, but it was a lot of money). They apologize to him but don't return the money. Don't tell me Blizzard can't compete with that because Blizzard actually returns items due to glitches or hacking. My friend has been hacked multiple times in WoW and his items were replaced very quickly.

I'm not going to go on a WoW rant here but I did buy the game because 1) the game is based around high level content and 2) their customer support is excellent. Everything Runescape is lacking for me right now.

I understand that they can't catch every glitch, it's nearly impossible. But things like the MA glitch and the day when GWD bosses and other large monsters wouldn't attack back are simply unacceptable to me.

They try hard but nobody can deny that things like PvP have been "guess and check" updates, and still are. If they had got PvP right the first time, we could have had more quests or anything else that freed up devolopment time.

I would rather wait 3 months for several great, thoroughly tested updates than have them on a weekly basis and see changes being made to them over the next few weeks or read more about the game breaking glitches than the actual updates on the forums.

Agree with you here. WoW customer support was amazing, you lose your stuff? Have it back. You're a high level? Have all this phree st00f in the way of content, be happy.

Jagex fail here. They need better customer support (one office in Cambridge, or two idk, with 20-odd customer support team isn't enough) and more high level content.

A lot of the bugs that pass through are little ones that can be fixed shortly, but they take a while to fix them. And bigger ones are disgraceful tbh.

And waiting 3 months for something huge would be great :thumbsup:

disturbeda.png

Untrue, Reggie Jackson has the career strikeout record.

I'd agree with this, but... 10 death runes a store? Say goodbye to my Barrowsing.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

I agree a little with you. Jagex are a bit out of touch and focus a bit to much on the safety and fairness of the game. Most players would probably like to see more new quests and more high-level content instead.

But mostly I think Jagex do a very good job. Why would I otherwise play this game?

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The changes to the stores now having limited supplies is that you either: Buy slowly from store, buy from other players in bulk, or make them yourselves.

With low stocks in stores, it means those willing to make EFFORT to collect them (Barrowing, monster drops, rune crafting, hanging around the store) can sell at a price that reflects their effort to get it and your willingness to buy it from them.

How can this be anything but a boost to the economy? Yeah, it bites you can't get in bulk at a set price what you used to do, but the balance will work out better for all. We'll see the fuller impact about a month from now.

@MstrMonopoly, yeah, I meant at the time Ruth was playing. The main point is these men fail all the time, but their successes bring them to the top. Same with Jagex, and that's why Runescape is one of the top MMRPG's in the world. People can moan all they like, and add in a flair of elitism. Hundreds of thousands are paying on a monthly basis for access to the premium content on Runescape.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Whilst I do think that spirit shards should have inifinite stock, I know there are more ways than 1 to accumulate them. For example, take a calculator and spend 5 minutes working on the pouch exchange rates. I was able to find 2 pouches that got me profit and the pouches sold for upper mid in 10 minutes (bought 2k pouches, not gonna name it but it's easy to figure it out for yourself). Then there's the people on RSOF who trade the pouches that do not sell in ge for shards and now are selling heaps of shards on the forums. Sure, you can't buy them with junk anymore but if until now you were dependent on buying them from the ogre, it doesn't really matter since you're spending the same amount of gp. The only thing that changes is the amount of time needed to find the sellers. And how long does that take? 10 minutes maximum? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this shouldn't be changed back to what it was. I'm trying to say that it actually doesn't take a lot of effort to get them right now.

I agree that there should be more high-end content out there though. It would definitely get a lot of the semi-retired players out of their retirement and give the ones that are currently active,but bored, something new to do. It would also give the mid-level players something to strive for. One might say that the group that this content will be focused on is relatively small compared to the userbase but this might be part of the reason why the high-end group is so inferior right now. Maybe the reason that there are so many 100s and not enough high-levelled players is that the 100s don't have any incentive (new content at higher levels) to train once they reach a certain stage. I really think that Jagex should at least TRY to release some high-end content and see what happens. If you follow the current trend of content - the higher level you reach, the more interesting the content gets - then the high-levelled content should blow you away and instantly give people who can't access it a reason to go for it. This game is all about having fun, exploring (both land and new content) and as much versatility as possible. Of course it's good to have a lot of mid-levelled content but there should also be a considering amount of high-levelled content.

Anyway, there's my opinion. Sorry if I made it too complicated to read. I'm not really used to expressing my thoughts in English.

M_A_R_T.png