When should I step into p2p?

Dakashakk

'Sup. I've been playing Runescape for a grand total of two hours now, and I've been getting on fine so far. I'm plodding through the beginner quests and slowly learning the game's interface.

However, I have one question I would like to pose to the masterful denizens of the Tip.it boards. ;) I noticed that Jagex offers a paid membership option. I will gladly pay the fee without question, but I am also aware that leaping straight into the "pay to play" world would not be wise with my almighty level 4 chicken slayer.

So, what milestones would you recommend I achieve before taking the plunge and stepping into the true game? ie. Combat level, quests completed, items obtained. I just don't want to be out of my depth when I hand over my "hard earned" money.

A few guidelines on this matter would be appreciated. :)

As said before do dragon slayer before you go pay-to-play, as well may i say that members is not the true game, just an expansion, never think of members as the real game.

Also make sure you have at least the ability to make 100k with in a month =P, many people i have known who have an inability to make money and got members and could not do a single thing because they did not have much money, not that you can not do anything it is just that you can make better money by having money! As well you also spend money on, sometimes, quests, and i am sure you will want armor, witch rune, i believe, is about 100k coins at the moment.

You want to know how to make money, if you plan on using your credit card to have unlimited amount of membership until you cancel it. If you plan on getting a prepaid card i would suggest making the money first. I suggest skills like fishing,woodcutting, and combat can also be profitable.

wingwinder.png

indifference.gif

I would not mind about doing every f2p quest, because I'm not a quest lover. Don't do Imp Catcher just for the sake of getting it done. Dragon slayer needs somewhat decent levels to do, so I'd just suggest getting member's right at the start.

I had a good cashpile when going into member version of he game, and I doubled or tripled it just with 99 fletching. (2-3 weeks)

WarBlastoise.png

I would not mind about doing every f2p quest, because I'm not a quest lover. Don't do Imp Catcher just for the sake of getting it done. Dragon slayer needs somewhat decent levels to do, so I'd just suggest getting member's right at the start.

I had a good cashpile when going into member version of he game, and I doubled or tripled it just with 99 fletching. (2-3 weeks)

Imp Catcher takes about 2 minutes to do if you buy the beads, which are <2000 total at last check.

My opinion is to have

1) The magic level to do the basic teleports ie Lummy, Varock, Falador, Maybe Cammy.

2) Done all the F2P quests

I waited until I had decent levels in all F2P skills but it is unnessesary if you enjoy the game and don't mind paying.

The Beginner's guide or new member guide on tip.it are great to get some money quickly.

Erik_Pidgen.png

gssig2qc6.png

L0ngball.png

Switch to P2P immediately.

The bank space is already worth it.

This. Then, once you get members - sort your quests by order of difficulty.

Do the easiest to hardest ones in order.

This will help you learn the map, the folklore, and as you meet new quest requirements you'll notice your character leveling up as well :)

I say get members pronto and start doing all the quests.

Plus, its $5. That's less then BIG MAC combo at McD's.

Bdvo89.png

OL' SCHOOL CIRCA '01, YOU MAD BRO?

Switch to P2P immediately.

The bank space is already worth it.

This. Then, once you get members - sort your quests by order of difficulty.

Do the easiest to hardest ones in order.

This will help you learn the map, the folklore, and as you meet new quest requirements you'll notice your character leveling up as well :)

I say get members pronto and start doing all the quests.

Plus, its $5. That's less then BIG MAC combo at McD's.

Not by much here. Its $5.19 for a medium Big Mac combo (Yes i work at mcdonalds :( ). And its only $5 a month for those that have been members for a long time. When you first start its $5.95 a month.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

• 4 months later...

While most people believe that getting a better understanding, more wealth, free quests done are criterias to become member, I have a different opinion.

Getting on members early help with collecting herbs, seeds etc. These are things that are in scarcity and prices of these are unreasonably high due to the sudden demand when people turn from f2p to p2p. A combat level 3 member train to level 50 combat will definitely get a better head start as compared to a level 50 f2p going p2p.

It's a similiar concept between mining and smithing or fishing and cooking. Most of us will raise the levels of the related skills together, just like how combat should be tied with getting the materials.

Nonetheless, one might argue that having more wealth will enable you to get the materials needed since the Grand Exchange had made things easier. The problem is with how much wealth do we have? Do we all have 10m? 20m? I would think that having 10m is considered quite rich in free world but in member's world, 10m is really little. Most of us have a few sets of armors (barrows - guthans for pve, dharoks for PC, veracs for pvp etc) And yeah not forgetting all magic and range because we often need them for different bosses.

As you move on in the members' world, you get more teleportation around the world of runescape that's beyond just magic. Tree spirit, canoe, ancient magick etc etc. This will reduce the time of travelling. Some of these teleportation are at no cost! Reduction of travelling time = more time farming = more exp = higher chances of good loots = quicker in leveling.

My 2 cents worth and virgin post. =)

I would say get members immediatly. First off becausethere are many novice quests in members that will skyrocket you up in levels. Second of all there are much better and faster trainig methods in members and third because it is much easier to make money in members. Even picking flax and spinning it (15 crafting required) is a good way to make $ and excellent crafting exp. Try to train up all lvls with an emphasis on Mage for the variety of helpful teles. Quests will Give you a good start in understanding rs and learning the world while unlockig later quests and giving good exp. Do the circus once a week(when you have a decent Mage agility and range lvl) for quick easy and cheap exp. Agility is also very important. Many quests require it it unlocks shortcuts and restores run faster but it's dreadfully boring to raise. Farming while supply you with low level herbs at the lower lvls for training herblore and at higher lvls is an excellent money maker. The lumby achievment diaryreward is very useful for reaching a farming spot and bank with it's unlimited tele and it's quite easy and will give you a good objective in quests and skill levels. Lastly tip.it has an excellent quet calc and beginning members guide if you care to read it. Also the getting around guide would be very good to reed also. Sorry for the Lon post.

Guys? This is a four month old topic, the OP has probably already made his decision. :mellow:

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread >.<

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]