PVP EP fixing?

sees_all1

So, I know Jagex tried to nerf 76king. In my humble opinion, the system is still flawed. Why is it flawed? Not because of triangle or square killing, but because of EP - earned potential.

Earned potential (as is my understanding) is based on the amount of time spent in a PVP world, risking 76k or more. Spent two hours hiding in the corner of a hot spot, you'll have 100% EP. Kill someone risking more than 76k, you'll get a spectacular drop.

My biggest problem with this is the time spent. Waiting should not pay off so handsomely. Waiting does not equal risk, especially because a short run will get you to a safe spot.

My solution: redefine risk, so that Earned Potential is based on real risk, and not time.

So, how do you do that? Simple. The amount you've risked is proportionate to the value of items dropped on death, multiplied by the amount of damage you've taken in the last N minutes (limited to some artificial ceiling).

What does this mean?

For one, it encourages people to actually risk something. Sitting in one location doing nothing isn't risking anything. Getting hit a ton means that you're actually fighting, risking.

Another, it rewards people that take more risk. Someone that takes 1000 damage in a fight will get a better drop than someone who takes no damage, and just gets a cheap k/o spec.

Lastly, it means that PVP can become a money sink again. People taking damage leads to more deaths. More damage means more consumption of PVP materials (food, potions).

Unintended, foreseeable consequences:

-Makes pure farcasting unprofitable.

-Allows for wealth exchange from one account to another

I'm fairly confident that there are more consequences, but I'm also sure that this can become a workable solution, with a little tweaking.

Feedback is appreciated.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

That's creative, but unfortunately, flawed. Players would just have their friends hit them, wearing say... Well, any armor worth a bit, and then stop and kill them. True, it's a bit riskier than the current 76K'ing method, but it in no way eliminates it.

However, I think this "redefine risk" idea has great potential. Personaly I can't think of something right now, but I'm sure you (or anyone else for that matter) could think of expanding this up to the point where it really does make a difference.

Good luck, this really is one of the changes RuneScape needs the most.

yes please. also, severely up the minimum risked value. 75k is pocket change to the majority of the rs population. (maby even have it scale to level, up to a cap.)

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

That's creative, but unfortunately, flawed. Players would just have their friends hit them, wearing say... Well, any armor worth a bit, and then stop and kill them. True, it's a bit riskier than the current 76K'ing method, but it in no way eliminates it.

However, I think this "redefine risk" idea has great potential. Personaly I can't think of something right now, but I'm sure you (or anyone else for that matter) could think of expanding this up to the point where it really does make a difference.

Good luck, this really is one of the changes RuneScape needs the most.

Agree with poster 2. Definitely a good core idea, but it's sort of flawed.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

how in the hell do you think risking a certain amount, standing in pvp for a certain length, or killing someone wiht 76k should affect pking i mean ffs pking should be based on killing someone and getting a drop ~ to their wealth they had on them

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

The damage is damage by players, correct, and not by monsters?

Also, the payoff you get should not exceed the standing value of your opponent's risk.

Bad idea. People who DON'T pk should stop trying to devise a way to fix the system. If all you had to do was take damage and risk, people would just team up and fight with rune scimmies. They take alot of damage, but nothing that can KO them. They just keep on eating/healing with familiar/brewing. Those who are good pkers, and get faster KO's, get worse loot. Those who have better KO weapons are always screwed. This is not well thought out AT FRIKKEN ALL.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Plus, this screws all the skillers out there. Why go to a pvp world if you don't get any ep for it, and have to deal with pkers besides? The only advantage is the lesser amount of people, and that is pretty much nullified if you get killed a bunch.

And don't tell me that's not what pvp worlds are for. That's a huge reason why pvp worlds exist, and not just bh worlds.

Bad idea. People who DON'T pk should stop trying to devise a way to fix the system. If all you had to do was take damage and risk, people would just team up and fight with rune scimmies. They take alot of damage, but nothing that can KO them. They just keep on eating/healing with familiar/brewing. Those who are good pkers, and get faster KO's, get worse loot. Those who have better KO weapons are always screwed. This is not well thought out AT FRIKKEN ALL.

Except...how much food does it require to heal 1000 points of damage? Even in shrimp, that's not a small amount. Familiars are barely cheaper, and less usable.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Plus, this screws all the skillers out there. Why go to a pvp world if you don't get any ep for it, and have to deal with pkers besides? The only advantage is the lesser amount of people, and that is pretty much nullified if you get killed a bunch.

And don't tell me that's not what pvp worlds are for. That's a huge reason why pvp worlds exist, and not just bh worlds.

Except...how much food does it require to heal 1000 points of damage? Even in shrimp, that's not a small amount. Familiars are barely cheaper, and less usable.

The current system screws legitimate PKers out of drops, and rewards those who do nothing, literally nothing.

1000 points of damage was an example, notice I didn't say what would be appropriate.

BTW- I do PK. My last drop was green d'hide vambraces. And it cost 75% EP, when I was risking 500k. I've never 26k'd in my entire runescape career, but I'm punished just as much as those idiots.

That ticks me off more than anything else.

I understand the point about skilling, but if you look carefully this system doesn't require you to spend 2 hours on a PVP world.

Say N, the number of minutes it keeps track of, is 6. It takes 6 minutes of legitimate fighting to get a full drop. If you PK like you're supposed to, nothing to worry about. If you try to mess with the system, like have a friend hit you as you spam eat, you only have a couple of minutes to get a kill before your drop goes to near nothing.

This system still has the same shortcoming where you can "give" drops to other people, but its more expensive. Its also more risky, as you might die while your friend is hitting you.

Re-read the original suggestion. It still needs a few tweaks, but imho its better than what we have now.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪