Reviving Firemaking - Ash equipment, charms, and more!

quelmotz

i agree 100000% love it!!! need to get 60 firemaking though ;)

holeinfate.png

Sig courtesy of sxssniffe(so i can remember to go to make a new one :-) )

thecoolistwaytolevel.jpg

If Jagex ever made a perfect update there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.

Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

Brian W. Kernighan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one of the better suggestions Ive seen for firemaking in a long time. Nice job :mrgreen:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Right, here's the problem. This is another low level members update that higher-level players really won't care about. This isn't a solution by any means, while it is clever, it lacks any real reason to get these items. For example, random events are RANDOM you can't decrease the randomness of them, nor should you. That makes botting and afking easier, and its one of very few items that higher level players would actually use. As for the ash armour, it has potential but you've yet to give concrete stats for it. At the moment this is not the solution firemaking needs.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Right, here's the problem. This is another low level members update that higher-level players really won't care about. This isn't a solution by any means, while it is clever, it lacks any real reason to get these items. For example, random events are RANDOM you can't decrease the randomness of them, nor should you. That makes botting and afking easier, and its one of very few items that higher level players would actually use. As for the ash armour, it has potential but you've yet to give concrete stats for it. At the moment this is not the solution firemaking needs.

High level members, high level members. What is so great about them anyway? They've just spent more time on the game. Do they pay a premium to Jagex? No.

If Jagex wishes to update low-level members, they can. I'm just offering my suggestion for lower-level members/f2p. If Jagex feels that they should give higher-level members an update, so be it.

I'm going to do what I want to do. I have no obligation whatsoever to make the update cater to higher-level members. If I want to write a suggestion for lower-level members, I will. If Jagex decides it isn't the update for them, then too bad. I can't do anything about it.

So you're saying that firemaking is an amazing skill for low-level members? Fat chance. Firemaking is a near useless skill for all players, member or not, high level or not.

And anyhow, I'm not interested in suggesting an update for high-level members. First, I don't have experience on high-level membership or even low-level members. Second, any update for high-level members will almost definitely not be opened to F2P, whereas low-level member updates might.

----------

Regarding the trivial matters: Luck is related to magic. RuneScape is full of magic. I don't see why the hell can't a lucky charm increase/decrease random events from occuring.

Afking can't be realistically solved. If you increase the rate of random events, people will complain that randoms caused them to lose drops, interrupt their training, etc etc etc. Decreasing the rate of randoms obviously doesn't solve it. Still, DECREASING the rate of randoms =/= removing randoms. There will still be a chance of random events occurring, just less often. Really, the only solution to AFKing is to create an "activity" bar, which will log out AFKers if they do not move their cursor for 30 seconds or some other length of time.

I've already stated that ash armor has the same stats as rune armor, except it gives slightly less bonuses to ranged defense but doesn't subtract ranged bonus, allowing rangers to wear it. Anyhow, I'll put in the stats.

I like the idea but it would be better if the firemaking level required was much higher so people don't just get 60 and then it becomes useless again. Maybe make firemaking a requirement to use the weapons/armour?

This would make firemaking useful so I 100% support it.

I like the idea but it would be better if the firemaking level required was much higher so people don't just get 60 and then it becomes useless again. Maybe make firemaking a requirement to use the weapons/armour?

This would make firemaking useful so I 100% support it.

You'd need higher level firemaking to obtain ash faster. The higher your firemaking the faster your burn logs/trees and so you get more ash. But if people are unwilling to get their own ash then that's their own problem.

Thanks for your support anyway.

Ash isn't exactly the best substance to make hardy weapons and armor out of.

Plastic is hardy. Ash is chemically similar to plastic, so it is TECHNICALLY possible to turn ash into plastic.

this is fantastic idea for firemaking. MAKE IT NOT SO POINTLESS.

What do you mean "pointless"? How do you expect me to change the suggestion if you don't elaborate on what you dislike or give constructive feedback.

Here's something to go with this that would be member's only.

Use ash as an additive to compost and supercompost to make them even more effective. It's done IRL, and has been proven to work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it in during the next major update.

Kind of like leaf litter and organic stuff right?

Here's something to go with this that would be member's only.

Use ash as an additive to compost and supercompost to make them even more effective. It's done IRL, and has been proven to work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it in during the next major update.

Kind of like leaf litter and organic stuff right?

Yep.

a70c7.png

High level members, high level members. What is so great about them anyway? They've just spent more time on the game. Do they pay a premium to Jagex? No.I was merely pointing out a reason I didn't like it, I think that if you gonna "revive" firemaking you'll need more than low level updates.

If Jagex wishes to update low-level members, they can. I'm just offering my suggestion for lower-level members/f2p. If Jagex feels that they should give higher-level members an update, so be it.

I'm going to do what I want to do. I have no obligation whatsoever to make the update cater to higher-level members. If I want to write a suggestion for lower-level members, I will. If Jagex decides it isn't the update for them, then too bad. I can't do anything about it. Right, here's the thing, you can't revive a skill by providing low level items, this has been shown time and time again. I'm not saying that you have to "cater" to anyone, I'm saying that it isn't viable without some form of longterm goal or drive.

So you're saying that firemaking is an amazing skill for low-level members? Fat chance. Firemaking is a near useless skill for all players, member or not, high level or not. I said this? When? Pretty sure I said that firemaking is useless in my post, I don't understand.

And anyhow, I'm not interested in suggesting an update for high-level members. First, I don't have experience on high-level membership or even low-level members. Second, any update for high-level members will almost definitely not be opened to F2P, whereas low-level member updates might. This is the third time that you've said this.

----------

Regarding the trivial matters: Luck is related to magic. RuneScape is full of magic. I don't see why the hell can't a lucky charm increase/decrease random events from occuring. See, I don't think you understand. I never really mentioned luck. I don't really know why you started talking about magic. Magic that's the solution! Being random means that it doesn't have a correlation with anything! It's random! You want to correlate a charm with decreased random events, well by assigning numbers to them they no longer become random. You'd have to assign numbers to randoms to make this viable. My knowledge of random events makes me doubt the possibility of this.

Afking can't be realistically solved. If you increase the rate of random events, people will complain that randoms caused them to lose drops, interrupt their training, etc etc etc. Decreasing the rate of randoms obviously doesn't solve it. Still, DECREASING the rate of randoms =/= removing randoms. There will still be a chance of random events occurring, just less often. Really, the only solution to AFKing is to create an "activity" bar, which will log out AFKers if they do not move their cursor for 30 seconds or some other length of time. See, I don't like making AFKing easier. This update does that. Are you debating this?

I've already stated that ash armor has the same stats as rune armor, except it gives slightly less bonuses to ranged defense but doesn't subtract ranged bonus, allowing rangers to wear it. Anyhow, I'll put in the stats.

Comments are in bold.

maulmachine4.png

High level members, high level members. What is so great about them anyway? They've just spent more time on the game. Do they pay a premium to Jagex? No.I was merely pointing out a reason I didn't like it, I think that if you gonna "revive" firemaking you'll need more than low level updates.

I'm going to do what I want to do. I have no obligation whatsoever to make the update cater to higher-level members. If I want to write a suggestion for lower-level members, I will. If Jagex decides it isn't the update for them, then too bad. I can't do anything about it. Right, here's the thing, you can't revive a skill by providing low level items, this has been shown time and time again. I'm not saying that you have to "cater" to anyone, I'm saying that it isn't viable without some form of longterm goal or drive.

So you're saying that firemaking is an amazing skill for low-level members? Fat chance. Firemaking is a near useless skill for all players, member or not, high level or not. I said this? When? Pretty sure I said that firemaking is useless in my post, I don't understand.

And anyhow, I'm not interested in suggesting an update for high-level members. First, I don't have experience on high-level membership or even low-level members. Second, any update for high-level members will almost definitely not be opened to F2P, whereas low-level member updates might. This is the third time that you've said this.

----------

Regarding the trivial matters: Luck is related to magic. RuneScape is full of magic. I don't see why the hell can't a lucky charm increase/decrease random events from occuring. See, I don't think you understand. I never really mentioned luck. I don't really know why you started talking about magic. Magic that's the solution! Being random means that it doesn't have a correlation with anything! It's random! You want to correlate a charm with decreased random events, well by assigning numbers to them they no longer become random. You'd have to assign numbers to randoms to make this viable. My knowledge of random events makes me doubt the possibility of this.

Afking can't be realistically solved. If you increase the rate of random events, people will complain that randoms caused them to lose drops, interrupt their training, etc etc etc. Decreasing the rate of randoms obviously doesn't solve it. Still, DECREASING the rate of randoms =/= removing randoms. There will still be a chance of random events occurring, just less often. Really, the only solution to AFKing is to create an "activity" bar, which will log out AFKers if they do not move their cursor for 30 seconds or some other length of time. See, I don't like making AFKing easier. This update does that. Are you debating this?

Comments are in bold.

Ok, two things.

One, I'm a F2P mid-level player. How the hell do you expect me to try and design some high-level equipment, most probably members'? I don't have any experience regarding high-level equipment for members. So do you want me to go all out and throw out some random ideas for high-level equipment, for which I don't know a clue about? I'd probably get flamed by some other people for spouting nonsense on a topic I don't know a thing about.

That's the precise reason why I don't want to waste my time and energy trying to create some members' high level equipment. If you want to contribute, go ahead. Just let me get it straight that I have nothing against introducing high-level equipment for members. It's just that I have no experience. If you think you're up to the job, go ahead and let me know. If I think it's good enough I'd put it up.

Luck is magical and arcane. Magic is highly unpredictable and luck-based. Not really so in RuneScape, but so what? Why are all "lucky charms" considered magical then?

Never heard of emphasising points by repeating them? Unfortunately repetition doesn't seem to work on you.

----------

Comments are in bold.

Ok, two things.

One, I'm a F2P mid-level player. How the hell do you expect me to try and design some high-level equipment, most probably members'? I don't have any experience regarding high-level equipment for members. So do you want me to go all out and throw out some random ideas for high-level equipment, for which I don't know a clue about? I'd probably get flamed by some other people for spouting nonsense on a topic I don't know a thing about. It is unfortunate that you aren't skilled enough to develop members content; however, your lack of experience means that your idea would be hard to implicate. Any update that will "revive" firemaking will consist of members content. It is for this reason that I stated originally, its a good idea but it isn't good enough. I'm not trying to insult you, the people at JaGex haven't come up with a good solution for years: it's hard.

That's the precise reason why I don't want to waste my time and energy trying to create some members' high level equipment. If you want to contribute, go ahead. Just let me get it straight that I have nothing against introducing high-level equipment for members. It's just that I have no experience. If you think you're up to the job, go ahead and let me know. If I think it's good enough I'd put it up.

Luck is magical and arcane. Magic is highly unpredictable and luck-based. Not really so in RuneScape, but so what? Why are all "lucky charms" considered magical then?See, "luck" in runescape increases the chance of an event occurring, or it decreases it. The ROW does this by increasing the size of "rarer" items on a drop wheel. Random events are RANDOM, to my knowledge it cannot be made less random.

Never heard of emphasising points by repeating them? Unfortunately repetition doesn't seem to work on you.I don't see why you're insulting me, I'm offering constructive criticism and you act like I'm attacking you. Furthermore, repeating the same point three times just sounds stupid. If anything it detracts from your point.

Comments in bold.

maulmachine4.png

Regarding random events: Any computer-run system cannot be truly random. Computers run with numbers, and every random event has some number attached to it, so when the game decides it's time for a random, it can choose an event. Drops and random events run on similar systems, they have to in order to be run by computer.

There's just as much possibility of a charm that increases/decreases randoms as there is of one that increases the chance of getting a good drop.

Regarding members' items: Maybe design some and ask for someone with knowledge to offer stats?

Plastic is hardy. Ash is chemically similar to plastic, so it is TECHNICALLY possible to turn ash into plastic.

Right, let's wear plastic armor and weapons. That makes better sense.

You're on the right track trying to make ash more useful. Your current ideas, however, are downright ridiculous.

cliffside1ra5.png

It takes a very simple explanation for the usage of moulded ash as armor.

The magical powers of the ash imbued with the ashiaz spirit strengthen the armor beyond their usual bounds.

Same reason why it somehow is worth it to use ancient weapons.

Right, let's wear plastic armor and weapons. That makes better sense.

You're on the right track trying to make ash more useful. Your current ideas, however, are downright ridiculous.

Downright ridiculous?

I suggest you go and read up more about plastics and nanotechnology and such before [cabbage]ting nonsense and making yourself look like an ignorant fool. Why don't I see policemen wearing steel bulletproof armor then? Why are all the high-performance bicycles, cars, and such made up of CARBON fibres, i.e. plastic? I could go on with tons of examples, but why should I bother wasting my time when you or some other idiot will probably ignore all of it and make some other stupid claims?

I'm really sick of ignorant laymen trying to act like they know a lot insulting my work without any evidence to support their incredulous claims.

@Zachneap and Hawkxs: Thanks for trying to defend me.

Ok, two things.

One, I'm a F2P mid-level player. How the hell do you expect me to try and design some high-level equipment, most probably members'? I don't have any experience regarding high-level equipment for members. So do you want me to go all out and throw out some random ideas for high-level equipment, for which I don't know a clue about? I'd probably get flamed by some other people for spouting nonsense on a topic I don't know a thing about. It is unfortunate that you aren't skilled enough to develop members content; however, your lack of experience means that your idea would be hard to implicate. Any update that will "revive" firemaking will consist of members content. It is for this reason that I stated originally, its a good idea but it isn't good enough. I'm not trying to insult you, the people at JaGex haven't come up with a good solution for years: it's hard.

Luck is magical and arcane. Magic is highly unpredictable and luck-based. Not really so in RuneScape, but so what? Why are all "lucky charms" considered magical then?See, "luck" in runescape increases the chance of an event occurring, or it decreases it. The ROW does this by increasing the size of "rarer" items on a drop wheel. Random events are RANDOM, to my knowledge it cannot be made less random.

Never heard of emphasising points by repeating them? Unfortunately repetition doesn't seem to work on you.I don't see why you're insulting me, I'm offering constructive criticism and you act like I'm attacking you. Furthermore, repeating the same point three times just sounds stupid. If anything it detracts from your point.

Comments in bold.

A journey begins with a single step. An update for lower-levels will sooner or later result in a higher-level version of it for members or other experienced players.

Look here - if a magical ring can increase the chance of an item dropping, another ring can also increase the chance of some magical guy popping out and requesting your help. It's like of 100 skeletons, 1 has some X drop. This ring makes another skeleton have this X drop. I don't see why another ring can't make a random event decide to pop up more often.

And since you're apparently a "high-level player", why don't you try contributing instead of complaining? The best way to criticise is to show a better way of doing something.

I think youdid a good job in makeing the quest and armor but you should not make the quest free to play. You should make it so the free to play people have a quest to do before this one and for the members this quest is one of the requirements to do your quest. I think the free to play quest should be you have to reqruit all of the kings troops or you have to convince the vlillager to take up arms. Both will reward you with your choice of one ash weapon. and as a physisist wannabe(my birthday will be at fermilab) I can vouch for the fact that ashes could turn into plastic if the tree would produce a sticky syrup like resin like maple. I do not believe that yew has any resin but correct me if i am wrong.

friedtomato7.png "Zamorak pjed Zaros. He would have won 1v1.

" The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order-BrianPickrell

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that now one ever knew before. But in poetry, its the exact opposite."

Paul Dirac, 1902-1984

I think youdid a good job in makeing the quest and armor but you should not make the quest free to play. You should make it so the free to play people have a quest to do before this one and for the members this quest is one of the requirements to do your quest. I think the free to play quest should be you have to reqruit all of the kings troops or you have to convince the vlillager to take up arms. Both will reward you with your choice of one ash weapon. and as a physisist wannabe(my birthday will be at fermilab) I can vouch for the fact that ashes could turn into plastic if the tree would produce a sticky syrup like resin like maple. I do not believe that yew has any resin but correct me if i am wrong.

I would personally prefer that the whole quest and area be available to F2P, but I would rather have something less "magnificient" done than nothing at all. But I suppose the decision lies with Jagex in the end.

I don't really see how physics relate to biology and chemistry, but thanks for supporting anyway.