Black Sheeps in Lumbridge

Gradeskip

The update to the sheep shearer quest is mentioned right on the RS front page. It's the article of the week.

off-topic: Joe's point about racism is well taken. Far too many people look for it where it does not exist, and if you look hard enough for something you'll probably find it. The real problem I have with this kind of thing is not that someone has been offended because they feel that their race/religion/whatever was insulted, it's that everyone else is trying to change something *before* someone complains that they were insulted. It's like the removal of the word "Christmas" from public use. Stores don't have "Christmas" sales, they have "holiday" sales. Schools don't have a "Christmas" break, they have a "holiday" break. What holiday? Why is everyone so afraid to say it? They all take advantage of it, but have become so PC that they're afraid to say it because someone *might* be offended. *sigh* okay, rant over.

(btw - no one is afraid to say "Easter"... :-s )

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are round here, we have a 'spring holiday' and, to prove a point, rather than having a two-week holiday with Easter right in the middle, one year they had it a week after Easter to prove a point. Ridiculous really.

Also, the fact that people are offended by the dialogue is ridiculous, it's "special" because it's different. The fact that being black makes it different is just a coincidence more than anything, but it's a coincidence that people are annoyingly going to take the wrong way.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

They are round here, we have a 'spring holiday' and, to prove a point, rather than having a two-week holiday with Easter right in the middle, one year they had it a week after Easter to prove a point. Ridiculous really.

Also, the fact that people are offended by the dialogue is ridiculous, it's "special" because it's different. The fact that being black makes it different is just a coincidence more than anything, but it's a coincidence that people are annoyingly going to take the wrong way.

The sheeps are black, and when you try to shear them it says "They are special, try shearing the white ones". It's offensive to me because i don't see a good reasons as to why this dialogue should be there?

Is there a good reason for this dialogue? If so, what is that reason?

I find it totally unecessary and don't see how it's related to the quest. And knowing that there are players who don't do quests, i bet they will find it offensive. Black sheeps are fair, but when you add a dialogue like that to it...then it's all of sudden negative (even though dialogue states that the sheeps are SPECIAL).

Black sheep wool is commercially undesirable because it cannot be dyed. Black wool IS special. It is the historical undesirability of black sheep in real life where the tern "black sheep of the family" comes from. It has nothing to do with race and is most certainly NOT racist!

It's those who try to link black sheep wool to black people and people who change lyrics to rainbow sheep who are the racist ones.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Black sheep wool is commercially undesirable because it cannot be dyed. Black wool IS special. It is the historical undesirability of black sheep in real life where the tern "black sheep of the family" comes from. It has nothing to do with race and is most certainly NOT racist!

It's those who try to link black sheep wool to black people and people who change lyrics to rainbow sheep who are the racist ones.

Black wool and and sheep is cool. But don't you think the dialogue is unecessary?

But black wool IS special and you have no need for it after the quest. The dialogue therefor makes perfect sense.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The colour of the sheep is of no relation to the colour of human skin. Grow up people.

you mentioned skin and colour in the sentance... RACIST

And in my post above i say... "those who try to link black sheep wool to black people", the words you quoted of mine suggest there is NO link.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Is this really that big of an issue?

Remember, sheep is different from humans. As Mercifull pointed out, black wool cannot be dyed. That is why they said that the sheep were special.

Besides, haven't you guys heard of "hybrid" breeds? Like, the color of the fur/wool/whatever is not the usual color. Though, this is an extremely rare occasion.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

But black wool IS special and you have no need for it after the quest. The dialogue therefor makes perfect sense.

You have not said what use black wool has in the quest (i asked that question, which was towards everyone). Also even if black wool is special, who cares? It's just the dialogue....it just does not a positive picture when reading it. It probably is not meant (and i am not saying it is) to be racisistic, but i find it offensive.

The dialogue can be interpret two ways:

1) White people not being special.

2) Black sheeps being special, in other words they stand out from majority of the sheeps.

But before you go all "OMG it's just black wool and sheep", i am JUST SAYING the dialogue is unecessary.

OFF TOPIC (But racism related):

Majority (or is it all?) of the inhabitants of Polliveach in the desert is called "Ali". I find that negative, because that makes me question if Jagex or the person responsible is a racist. The question i ask is "They are all called Ali, maybe Jagex didn't care about this race (and culture) and was lazy and made stereotype npcs. So maybe some racism is involved with that?"

But i don't say for sure if it's really racism or not, i just find it negative. Because Jagex could have done more research before dealing with the NPCS. But i don't go "OMG what a bunch of racists!", i merely get a disappointing feeling.

EDIT 2:

Jagex often does involve the British culture into Runescape, and they have all right to do so (and noone can demand them to involve other cultures). For example, the Clue Fest thing, it had with a British serie did it not? And also the women in the Lunar Isle , Ms Boquette or something. That is from a British comedy serie which i find funny.

But when your gonna make NPCs that's not British, but from a other culture, at least do it properly. Just look at Polliveach, such a stereotypical city of Runescape.

Maybe they should have made the sheep purple or something. Of course, then people would be complaining about how "unrealistic" they are and demanding that they be made black... :wall:

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Maybe they should have made the sheep purple or something. Of course, then people would be complaining about how "unrealistic" they are and demanding that they be made black... :wall:

Or they can just remove the dialogue/or replace it with something else>problem solved. How hard is that... :mellow:

1. White sheep are not special.

2. Black sheep are special, they stand out from majority of the sheep.

If you find it offensive then that says something bad about you. When I first saw the black sheep I thought it was a nice addition. Perhaps it's because i live in a rural area and see a lot of farm animals but the link to race never even crossed my mind until I read this thread.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

That would just confuse with the quest where you have to dye the sheeps or the sheep with golden fleece south of relleka. A black sheep is a perfectly acceptable addition to a flock of sheep.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

1. White sheep are not special.

2. Black sheep are special, they stand out from majority of the sheep.

If you find it offensive then that says something bad about you. When I first saw the black sheep I thought it was a nice addition. Perhaps it's because i live in a rural area and see a lot of farm animals but the link to race never even crossed my mind until I read this thread.

I do not see a black sheep offensive (i don't like the change, as white is much nicer colour for sheeps). I am just saying how the dialogue can be understood by others. However, i find the dialogue offensive because it can be interpret those ways.

I don't really care about the colour of the sheeps. But when i see a dialogue or a text, that can be seen in a racisitic way, i kinda wish it was not in the game. Because it's just not nice reading something, and knowing it can be interpret in a negative way.

Specially when the text is unecessary.

But you STILL haven't explained how you deem it to be racist... The dialogue makes perfect english sense. The black sheep IS different to the norm "special sheep", and you have no need to shear it after the quest "Try the white ones." I don't see why it needs to be changed. What would you rather it say?

300px-Black_sheep-1.jpg

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I don't really care about the colour of the sheeps. But when i see a dialogue or a text, that can be seen in a racisitic way, i kinda wish it was not in the game. Because it's just not nice reading something, and knowing it can be interpret in a negative way.

Specially when the text is unecessary.

As the wool from the black sheep is only used for the quest, it is necessary to distinguish them from the white sheep. Since the problem you're having is that you think the black sheep are being singled out, what would you suggest they do to correct this? Is there any message that points out that the black sheep cannot simply be sheared by anyone that you would not think has racist overtones? They are there for a specific reason, and I can't see any way of pointing out the fact that they are different without someone complaining that it's racist.

Seriously, how does the color of the fur of a sheep relate in any way to races? That is just stupid. Am I a racist because I like the way the white cats look versus the black ones? Or is it because the black cats keep eating all my watermelons in my bank? :razz:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

There really are black sheep guys. I would know, I raised them.

Lol, so did I. My first pet was a black sheep called.. Blacky. <3:

This racism stuff is getting as bad as religion topics. Shear a black sheep and the skin is the same colour as a white sheep's.

Merciful and Kaida, noone told me the connection between the black sheeps DIALOGUE and the quest. I asked for what use it had in the quest though...but since it has a use (which noone told me but instead keep discussing...) then i find it all of sudden not offensive (because the use/connection in the quest with the dialogue seems reasonable).

I was discussing it IF it did not have a particular good reason for the dialogue.

Seriously, how does the color of the fur of a sheep relate in any way to races? That is just stupid. Am I a racist because I like the way the white cats look versus the black ones? Or is it because the black cats keep eating all my watermelons in my bank? :razz:

It doesn't. However the dialogue would IF it did not have a connection with the Sheep shearer quest.

Being black, it is extremely fun for me to watch people get all worked up over any slight mention of anythign that might almost possibly be considered to slightly allude to race in some way.

On topic, ooh free stuff. Is there a list somewhere of updated quests so that I don't have to check eack one? Or is it just F2P quests?

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Merciful and Kaida, noone told me the connection between the black sheeps DIALOGUE and the quest. I asked for what use it had in the quest though...but since it has a use (which noone told me but instead keep discussing...) then i find it all of sudden not offensive (because the use/connection in the quest with the dialogue seems reasonable).

I was discussing it IF it did not have a particular good reason for the dialogue.

Wait. You started ranting on the racist overtones of the message without knowing any of the relevant context???? :wall:

[hide=Really???]

yodathatiswhyyoufail.jpg[/hide]

Whether or not you asked for info about it here, you didn't go looking for info yourself? Like I said earlier, this update was posted right on the RS main page. How could anyone not know about it. I'm sorry, but people who complain first and get facts later are infuriating to no end.

Wait. You started ranting on the racist overtones of the message without knowing any of the relevant context???? :wall:

[hide=Really???]

yodathatiswhyyoufail.jpg[/hide]

Whether or not you asked for info about it here, you didn't go looking for info yourself? Like I said earlier, this update was posted right on the RS main page. How could anyone not know about it. I'm sorry, but people who complain first and get facts later are infuriating to no end.

Yet it's so easy for you to keep on discussing with someone asking you the link between the black sheep and the quest, but can not do one simple post and answer that question. I could look it up, but it's you who's were argumenting against me using the quest. So you should have answered the link. You fail.

And if i was on the same side as you in the short discussion we had, i would have argumented saying "Well the dialogue is not racistic because in the quest there is....this link...and it's about...". But since you fail, you can't seem to approach it that way. Not only would you have made an argument towards what i WAS discussing, but also clarify the link between the black sheeps dialogue and the quest.

Simple comment, but i guess since your mind is so simple...it becomes difficult.

AMG Jagex haven't got any pigs on that farm they are CLEARLY being racist against pigs and therefore the police and the police are going to realise this is racist and SHUT DOWN RUNESCAPE @@@@@@

<_<

Well you see, there ARE pigs in runescape, but they aren't attackable or eatable. This proves that Jagex thinks pigs are holy. Muslims are also against the eating of pigs. This proves that Jagex is the front for an extremist muslim terrorist organization.

In case anyone is wondering, I AM kidding.

The colour of the sheep is of no relation to the colour of human skin. Grow up people.

Tell the UK government that then as well as anyone who believes in being politically correct.

Google baa baa black sheep controversy.

Many schools refused to teach that song and a few changed it to rainbow sheep as they found it racist or discriminating.

LMAO! RAINBOW SHEEP? What's this, gay (sheep) pride week?

But seriously, the rhyme was around in the medeival ages, long before most Europeans or Brits probably even knew of the existence of black people...

Chances are the reason that you can't shear the black sheep is because it's part of the sheep shearer quest. People doing the quest need the black wool, the white wool is for whatever regular stuff wool is used for.

And one could argue that Jagex was being rascist by NOT having black sheep in the first place. But as someone said...

It's a [bleep]ing sheep, not a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.