Lose some fat

RSBDavid

Ok, I need to lose some fat. I played varsity football in high school but two years ago as a junior (11th grade) I fractured both of my knees. I underwent several surgeries and steel rods were even placed in my legs. I got the OK from my physical rehab guru that I can do more exercises now, but I still have to take it easy for another 6 months.

Is there anything I can do to lose like.. err... umm... 50 pounds of extra fat?

I am 6'3 and 190 pounds and I know for a fact over 50 pounds is fat. Also, is there any alternatives to drinking mountain dew (2 12 packs a week :( ) that isn't water or some shoddy juice? Is tea ok?

Thanks in advanced,

bballer

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Just coming back from a knee reconstruciton and can feel a bit of flab coming on. It's a bit hard for me to do anything cardio without running. Can you run/walk or anything yet?

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Try drinking Vitamin Water :D! It is made by a company called Glaceau (Coco-Cola Company owns them.) Its an energy drink, just with vitamins and healthy minerals. It tastes really good to :]!

Complete list of flavors:

Power-C - Dragonfruit - (Vitamin C + Taurine)

Energy - Tropical Citrus - (Vitamin B + Guarana)

Revive - Fruit Punch - (Vitamin B + Potassium)

Multi-V - Lemonade - ("Vitamin A to Zinc")

Focus - Kiwi-Strawberry - (Vitamin A + Lutein)

Essential - Orange-Orange - (Vitamin C + Calcium)

Formula 50 - Grape - (50% Daily Dose of Vitamins)

Defense - Raspberry-Apple - (Vitamin C + Zinc)

Rescue - Green Tea - (Vitamin C + EGCG)

Endurance - Peach-Mango - (Vitamin E + Ribose)

Vital-T - Lemon Tea - (Vitamin C + Vitamin E)

Balance - Cran-Grapefruit - (Vitamin C + Glucosamine)

B-Relaxed - Jackfruit-Guava - (Vitamin B + Theanine)

Charge - Lemon-Lime + (Vitamin B + Electrolytes)

XXX - Acai-Blueberry-Pomegranate - (Triple Antioxidants)

And exercising with the Wii fit is a great way to lose some extra weight :)! If you dont have a wii though, I would suggest swimming, because I eat lots of food thats junk food from time to time and swim year round at a swim facility. Great shape Im in :D!

Hope this helped :P.

KingehFinal2.png

killah__1.png

My dad is a gastrointerologist who I always hear him say the same thing. Since he has a lot of old patients he can't tell them to go out and run and lift weights. So he tells them portion and light exercise. Your exercising can consist of just taking a walk to the grocery store instead of driving there. And as for food, are those 24 mountain dew really necessary? Try trimming them down one by one and switching to something with less sugar and caffeine, although don't drink artificiality sweetened stuff. Instead of having a triple patty burger, go down to a double or better yet try a grilled chicken sandwich. Don't super size the fries. Avoid simple carbs like potato chips and get complex carbs which keep you filled and fueled. And you can still eat the same things at home during a meal, but it's the small things that make the difference. For instance a baked potato alone is healthy eating, but when you add butter, sour cream and bacon >.> heart attack and fat.

Lastly if you're 6'3" and 190 I don't think you need to lose 50lb. Maybe like 25lb. I'm 5'11" and I'm 155lb and I'm told I'm a twig all the time.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

I can maybe run for 15-25 minutes before I have to stop. Hopefully in six months I can run for twice that long.

I will look into the vitamin water. I do not have a lot of money to put into this kind of thing but I will see what is good.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

What's your diet like? (other than drinking mountain dew.. mountain dew is so bad for you, and I bet you know that!)

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

If you're trying to loose weight, cut the sugar drinks out now. That so called, "Vitamin Water" crap, is just as bad as Mountain Dew. Don't drink Diet Coke either, as the Artificial Sweetener will give you a laxative effect. Tea would probably be good, little sugar in it.

Wii Fit, eh, not very demanding... Swimming would be good because of your knees, and if they could take it, a rowing machine.

Seeing as you can't do much exercise, refine your diet and eat the right type of foods. If you are dead serious, see a proper nutritionist, but see if the advice you get here is decent first..

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I agree with you on the vitamin water "crap" in some form of way >.>...but getting down to it, you would choose it over any soda persay.

Although companies like Glaceau state little things on their bottles like crystalline fructose which is complete crap at that, but its healther than soda's that people drink.

Sticking to pure water would be the best so yep :P

KingehFinal2.png

killah__1.png

True, suppose if you drink that much you need to ease yourself off it slowly or your system could shock :P

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

What's your diet like? (other than drinking mountain dew.. mountain dew is so bad for you, and I bet you know that!)

Ramen Noodles, Frosted Flakes, and Venison (deer meat).

FROSTED FLAKES!!!!!! WHAT THE!!!!!!

Keep a journal of what you've been eating, and post it online, and then you will feel ashamed of eating fatty foods. eusa_naughty.gif

I keep a journal of what I eat myself (I just write it in notepad daily) and it discourages me from eatting fatty food, but when I forget to write in my journal I tend to start snacking. :(

Ramen Noodles aren't that great for you either, but Venison is okay. :D

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Like other people are saying, Vitamin Water has just as many calories/carbs as regular Mountain Dew. And Diet Mountain Dew isn't that bad for you. Generally aspartame (which is the sweetener used in Mtn Dew) does not create GI problems. The only artificial sweetener suggested to do that is sucralose (aka Splenda, which is in any sort of Diet Rite pop). If you're having other problems (like sleeping ones), I'd suggest trying the caffeine-free version. (I'ma make a thread about all this 'diet pop is bad for you nonsense'.)

Cut out the Ramen, or only use like half of the seasoning packet, that's where all the bad stuff is, if you just eat the pasta, it's just carbs.

Venison = good lean TASTY meat. Keep at it. As for the Frosted Flakes, they're not horrible for you, but try to follow the portion sizes (1 cup cereal and 1/2 milk) and use 1/2% or skim milk.

Like someone else said, keep track of what you eat daily, even if it's only for like 3 days. You can get a good approximation of what you eat and what you need to get rid of and such.

Try eating lots of fruits. I love fruit. Grapes, bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruit, strawberries. Especially grapefruit. Mmm. If there are any fruits you haven't eaten/eaten in a long time, you should try them. You'd be surprised how tasty they can be.

Oh, and triscuits + sliced cheese is really good and pretty healthy. And for drinks, if you have a blender you could make smoothies. My favorite smoothie is...

2 bananas

4 tablespoons of peanut butter

A little bit of chocolate syrup

3 scoops of frozen yogurt/vanilla ice cream (note - you don't notice a difference, so it's best to be healthy and go with the froyo. i just use ice cream if it's all we have left.)

Ice

It's obviously not the healthiest smoothie, but you get some protein from the peanut butter and some potassium from the bananas. Plus it's absofrickin'lutely delicious.

wl7w9j.png

^ Triscuits have 42g carb/serving if I remember correctly... Wheat Thins have something like 21g, and I'm unsure of fat content, although I think Wheat Thins also have less fat. (A Triscuit serving size may also be less than Wheat Thins... Lemme check.)

Meh. I dunno where I got 42 from, but they do have more carbs in a smaller serving:

http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/triscuit-baked-whole-wheat-wafers-original-flavor-3872.htm - 7 Triscuits, 22g carbs, 5g fat, 140cal

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/nabisco/original-wheat-thins - 16 Wheat Thins, 22g carbs, 6g fat, 140cal

Peanut butter is a relatively healthy and cheap way to get protein and filling food.