Same-Sex Marriage

RexMilotic

What I mean by "it" is the followers. As in, the rules of religion A are not to kill, yet the followers of religion A felt okay with killing those who wouldn't convert.

I'm well aware that neither the New nor the Old Testament command you to kill those who wouldn't convert to your religion.

But then wouldn't that be the followers deliberately ignoring the rules they should be following? That's on them, not the faith that told them not to.

They still represent it though. Say you go to a coffee shop and the cashier is in a bad mood, slow, and messes up on your order. It's not the fault of everyone that works there, but you still blame the entire shop.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still represent it though. Say you go to a coffee shop and the cashier is in a bad mood, slow, and messes up on your order. It's not the fault of everyone that works there, but you still blame the entire shop.

Maybe I'm strange then. I'd blame the cashier.

Maybe you are or I am. I remember My mom and I went to the subway in wal-mart while we were out shopping. The people behind the counter were rude, messed up our orders, didn't use a different knife to cut our sandwiches, and walked away before we were done ordering because we had already paid. We still won't eat at that subway.

When one of the most basic rules of religion A is not to kill, and then it says both that it's okay to kill anyone who wouldn't convert to religion A, and that anyone performing homosexual relations should be dead, I see it as very contradicting.

I agree with Rex, in a perfectly Catholic world, gays would be killed.

Since when did the bible say that you should kill someone that doesn't convert to your religion? o.O And btw murdering someone and executing someone isn't the same thing; but like someone else said before me, these laws weren't meant for our society, but people living in a desert years and years ago.

Right here -

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)
If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

When one of the most basic rules of religion A is not to kill, and then it says both that it's okay to kill anyone who wouldn't convert to religion A, and that anyone performing homosexual relations should be dead, I see it as very contradicting.

I agree with Rex, in a perfectly Catholic world, gays would be killed.

Since when did the bible say that you should kill someone that doesn't convert to your religion? o.O And btw murdering someone and executing someone isn't the same thing; but like someone else said before me, these laws weren't meant for our society, but people living in a desert years and years ago.

Ding Ding. I posted this a while ago, but all the laws saying gays are bad, etc. in Leviticus (the most infamous book in the Bible) was a rule book for JEWISH PRIESTS of ISRAEL in that TIME PERIOD. So it didn't apply to anyone else, especially not Christians, Muslims, Atheists etc.

You're doing it wrong. Half of Leviticus refers to the priests, while the other part is for everyone. The part for everyone includes the murdering of gays and other faiths. Also, Christians have adopted that into their belief system, which means it would be part of the ideal world. I don't know about Muslims, and atheists don't care about fake Gods anyways.

Doing what wrong.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Leviticus (the most infamous book in the Bible) was a rule book for JEWISH PRIESTS of ISRAEL in that TIME PERIOD.

You're doing it wrong. Half of Leviticus refers to the priests, while the other part is for everyone.

Durr learn to read.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Do I support Gay marraige? No, I do not. It's nothing I would ever do myself, it's not something I can see too many of my friends doing, so therefore it truly has nothing to do with me. Would I do anything to stop a Gay marraige from happening? No I would not. That's none of my business, and I have no control over what you do with your own life.

If we all took that approach I doubt the world would ever have advanced.

"in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Kind of relevant. The point is a definitive stance, even if it would be perceived as negative is more productive and producing then an apathetic stance (i.e. Switzerland just lazying around and making clocks).

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

My first point is that I, in a religious point of view, believe that homosexuality not is right; that it's not the way that we are meant to be.

And I could also hope, that in an ideal world, then everyone would be Christian as well, and then we wouldn't even have to have this argument.

In the ideal Christian world, it wouldn't be a problem because all the homosexuals would be killed.

About the mother part, I dislike that. Unless the father was someone who only had sex so the woman could have a child, then he should still be the father. The "extra-mother" should just be the stepmother.

That's quite an ignorant comment and I hope you burn your tongue so badly you can never say something so stupid and horrible. Homosexuals are as equal persons to heterosexual persons. Neither is "worth" more. They are both given God's grace to an equal extent. They are both humans. In an ideal Christian world, there would still be gays. Scriptural supported by how God loves everyone and the commandment thou shalt not kill is part of the ten commandments (found in exodus and deuteronomy) and Jesus says this applies to everyone by extension since everyone is your neighbor.

I forget what book of this catholic youth bible I had to use for scripture studies honors last year, they have sidestories of contemporary time that parallel the stories in the scripture. In one of them, it's about AIDS and its implied the guy is gay and he is diagnosed from AIDS and he's ashamed to tell his Church but when they find out they're supportive and tell him they'll be there for him til the end. THAT is the ideal Christian deed.

What would you call the Crusades then?

An act of greed for territory and wealth justified by the excuse of religion.

Romy, you're ignorant and you think you know religious law. And to that I say hahaha! First of all it does not in the Bible to say to the Christians to kill people who will not convert, I don't know where you got that. Secondly, the founder of the Maronite Catholics [the rite I belong to] was canonized a saint because one thing he did was go around [5th century] in Syria and help people out, spiritually and medically, be they Christian or pagan. You speak out of your [wagon].

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB) I purposely marked this to grasp your attention to where it is located. Please you ignorant fool, go look up what Christian law says in regards to the Old Testament and the new law brought by Jesus. Do not call ignorance in which you act ignorant for you fail to realize the difference between Torah and the actual current Christian law.

Now may I quote, directly? "ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν, εὐλογεῖτε τοὺς καταρωμένους ὑμᾶς, καλῶς ποιεῖτε τοῖς μισοῦσιν ὑμᾶς καὶ προσεύχεσθε ὑπὲρ τῶν ἐπηρεαζόντων ὑμᾶς καὶ διωκόντων ὑμᾶς,"

If you are unable to understand Greek, that is the "love thine enemy" verse, Matthew 5:44. For those of you who might be confused to love an enemy? In Greek it more specifically apagaos (unconditional love to anyone) which is not the same love as philia (brotherly love) or eros (the desire to be with a partner). Therefore, gays would not be killed even if disliked because you cannot kill someone who you are suppose to love. In fact you shouldn't even hate them.

And did you not hear me recall that AIDS part from the footnote in my Bible? Or are you too busy skimming so that you can just say that Christians want to kill gays?

I probably should have clarified myself better, my bad. You shouldn't have added all the dazzle around it though.

What I mean by "it" is the followers. As in, the rules of religion A are not to kill, yet the followers of religion A felt okay with killing those who wouldn't convert.

I'm well aware that neither the New nor the Old Testament command you to kill those who wouldn't convert to your religion.

As for your comment about the New Testament not taking the rules of the Old one... Well, whether it's true or not doesn't matter, as today the Christian world is against gays, thinks gay-acts are a sin, wouldn't marry gays, etc.

So without the diplomatic crap, Christianity is anti-gay.

For your first part about the rules said not to kill but the Crusades occurred, yes that was against dogma and it was horrible. It was apologized for numerous times though, the most recent apology by the late Pope John Paul II. My rite was affected by these per se Christian-justified imperial wars because Lebanon and Syria are in the middle of crossroads.

And second point, yes Christianity does not support the gay lifestyle, and you may term that anti-gay. However, by no means are we anti-gay people, as all people are equal and made in the same image. Although by no means is it "diplomatic crap" because it is legitimate doctrine that everyone is equal.

I don't know about the New Testament, but in the Old one, God sends his people to countless wars, wars in which men would definitely be killed on both sides, despite him saying that no man should be killed for men are created in the image of God. Call it whatever you want, make an execuse because it's war we're talking about, either way, God sends his people to knowiingly kill.

As for my second point. You're a minority in the Christian world, most others find gays as sinners, and even if they'd still call them equal, I doubt anyone would marry them to the one they love. The reasoning behind it doesn't matter.

Do I support Gay marraige? No, I do not. It's nothing I would ever do myself, it's not something I can see too many of my friends doing, so therefore it truly has nothing to do with me. Would I do anything to stop a Gay marraige from happening? No I would not. That's none of my business, and I have no control over what you do with your own life.

"in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Kind of relevant. The point is a definitive stance, even if it would be perceived as negative is more productive and producing then an apathetic stance (i.e. Switzerland just lazying around and making clocks).

I don't see it as relevant.

He said gays don't conern him, so he's not going to care much or ever do anything about it. Thus "If we all took that approach I doubt the world would ever have advanced."

He said gays don't conern him, so he's not going to care much or ever do anything about it. Thus "If we all took that approach I doubt the world would ever have advanced."

And I'm saying we can't by and be apathetic, otherwise we would never accomplish anything. Even when we make war and suppress people we find new technology to help us do so, as opposed to when we don't make definitive choices we waste time. Everything concerns us. If you believe gays should be married you should help fight for their right. If you believe gays shouldn't be married, you should fight to preserve your definition of marriage. Sitting on the fence is cowardly.

As for you saying Christians find gays sinners? The Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church both believe and teach being gay is not a sin (loved by God equally) but partaking in gay activity is a sin, and they are the largest and second largest bodies of Christian Communions, so there goes your theory with thinking gays are automatically sinners. May I ask, do you speak from learning from a Protestant sect, or did you go to a parochial school, or another source or did you read some book?

And God doesn't send the Israelites to kill people, that is how they interpreted their relationship between themselves and God. Quite frankly I find some of the Israelite writings a bit pompous.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

This topic has side-tracked ever so slightly, can we keep the topic to same-sex marriage. If you wish to debate religion, then please use the pre-existing topics. :wink:

But religion is one of the main reasons people believe homosexuality is wrong.

This topic has side-tracked ever so slightly, can we keep the topic to same-sex marriage. If you wish to debate religion, then please use the pre-existing topics. :wink:

More like ignorance\prejudice. There are plenty of Christians who are fine with Homoesexuality, and plenty of Atheists who despise it.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

1)

And I'm saying we can't by and be apathetic, otherwise we would never accomplish anything. Even when we make war and suppress people we find new technology to help us do so, as opposed to when we don't make definitive choices we waste time. Everything concerns us. If you believe gays should be married you should help fight for their right. If you believe gays shouldn't be married, you should fight to preserve your definition of marriage. Sitting on the fence is cowardly.

2)

As for you saying Christians find gays sinners? The Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church both believe and teach being gay is not a sin (loved by God equally) but partaking in gay activity is a sin, and they are the largest and second largest bodies of Christian Communions, so there goes your theory with thinking gays are automatically sinners. May I ask, do you speak from learning from a Protestant sect, or did you go to a parochial school, or another source or did you read some book?

3)

And God doesn't send the Israelites to kill people, that is how they interpreted their relationship between themselves and God. Quite frankly I find some of the Israelite writings a bit pompous.

1) That's exactly what I said :S...

2) I don't think the difference is big enough to matter. So it's okay to be gay so long as I don't fulfill my desires? That's just plain dumb.

3) Umm, what about sending them to wars all over to "win" Israel? What about setting rules to wars (such as- before going to war, first ask your enemy if they'd want to surrender, if they wouldn't go for it!)?

God repetitively sent his chosen ones to war. Period.

EDIT: By the way, it wasn't Israelis I was talking about, it was Hebrews.

More like ignorance\prejudice. There are plenty of Christians who are fine with Homoesexuality, and plenty of Atheists who despise it.

Of course not all Christians feel that way, but as seen in this thread, some people are against it solely because the Bible is against it. Without bringing religion into the debate, we've hit a barrier and can't really discuss why that line of reasoning is flawed.

Of course not all Christians feel that way, but as seen in this thread, some people are against it solely because the Bible is against it. Without bringing religion into the debate, we've hit a barrier and can't really discuss why that line of reasoning is flawed.

Ahh ok I get what you're saying, never mind.

Without bringing the religion into the debate, I could fine no other logical reason to be against it.

Without bringing the religion into the debate, I could fine no other logical reason to be against it.

Unfortunately, others could. Many guys hate gays so not to be seen as feminin, not only for religous reasons. Thus the whole "gay is gross" trend :( ...

Unfortunately, others could. Many guys hate gays so not to be seen as feminin, not only for religous reasons. Thus the whole "gay is gross" trend :( ...

That's why I said logical. Reasons like that would be illogical.

One could argue that religous reasons are illogical, or that social reasons are.

Also, whether the reasons are or aren't logical is pretty much pointless to take into account, simply because they exist whether they are or aren't.

One could argue that religous reasons are illogical, or that social reasons are.

Also, whether the reasons are or aren't logical is pretty much pointless to take into account, simply because they exist whether they are or aren't.

I would easily argue religious reasons are illogical, and that many social reasons are also. Whether or not reasons are logical is important, because dealing with a logical reasons gives grounds to back it, which for a legal battle is something you need.

[hide]

I would easily argue religious reasons are illogical, and that many social reasons are also. Whether or not reasons are logical is important, because dealing with a logical reasons gives grounds to back it, which for a legal battle is something you need.

[/hide]

I'm afraid logic on it's own is not enough for legalization :/...

[hide]

1)

2)

3)

1) That's exactly what I said :S...

2) I don't think the difference is big enough to matter. So it's okay to be gay so long as I don't fulfill my desires? That's just plain dumb.

3) Umm, what about sending them to wars all over to "win" Israel? What about setting rules to wars (such as- before going to war, first ask your enemy if they'd want to surrender, if they wouldn't go for it!)?

God repetitively sent his chosen ones to war. Period.

EDIT: By the way, it wasn't Israelis I was talking about, it was Hebrews.

[/hide]

1. I said that because you said you didn't find it relevant and now you say that's what you said.

2. A lot of morals are about controlling desire. If I want to punch someone in the face and I know I could beat the crap out of them, I would restrain my desire to exact physical revenge, same with stealing, being a douche, etc. Just because you fulfill a desire of lust or anything like that, does not mean it's good. Sometimes we have to do something that doesn't make us happy for the better.

3. Again, those are rules of war made by the Israelites, not God. The Israelites have interpreted God's inspiration like that, but Yahweh is not a god of war.

Response to your edit: We aren't discussing Israelis, that's modern day. Israelites are descendants of Israel, i.e. Jacob.

kaisershami.png

[hide]

[/hide]

I'm afraid logic on it's own is not enough for legalization :/...

No, but being able to back it by logic, reasons, and use of other laws is a step towards legalization.