Suggestion: Quick Reply Hack

Smc5528

Alright I'm going to say this right now.

If every suggestion is going to be treated like a flame war, than this section is not going anywhere at all.

I posted a perfectly logical suggestion, with perfectly logical thinking to back it up. Instead it was met with a 'gang bang' of sorts stretching off onto two + pages.

You guys really need to look at yourself in the mirror and decide truley whether or not your secure in yourself and your ability to objectivly look at a suggestion - instead of disagreeing with it.

Seriously, there have been no flames on this thread. The idea was thought out and people decided that it wasn't in the best interest of the forum to add it. Better discussing an idea than to just dismiss it.

sig2ho7.jpg

And then I think of the update days where I wait 25 minutes to get from the update post to the reply post and another 15 to get to the success page and another 5 to get back to the post page...

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

On this forum, no. It will only encourage spamming.

That was the reason for not having it last time it got brought up that I'm aware of :-?

I second that. Merc's statements about bandwidth certainly sounds applicable as well. I'm voting against.

• 2 weeks later...

But the amount of loading bandwith required for the quick reply box is vastly less than loading an entirley new page complete with emoticons, bbcode, and previous post lists, and the like.

On a one to one yes. But think of the thousands of page views and no posts compared to actual posts. Hell, theres 50k members with 0 posts and im sure they've all seen at least 1 topic. Thats a lot of b/w chomped away. You sound like you've used phpbb before... so you will be aware that the quick reply mod still uses posting.php and the template file for the main reply is only 18k. ]But the quick reply mod is an extra 5k of code for every person on every page. Add the extra database calls and bam, no doubt about it, the Quick Reply mod is a massive bandwidth waste.

When you put it that way, its not worth the extra bandwidth, since most (most = quite a few) people just read the forums without posting. :?

And it doesn't matter if its 'vastly less than loading an entirely new page' as some users still like to use the 'Reply' rather than 'Quick Reply' option.