Suggestion: Quick Reply Hack

Smc5528

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/522

This is a Quick Reply hack for your phpBB 2, it allows user sto easily reply to topics without having to hit "Post Reply" and wait for the post reply screen (saving them one page).

The Quick Reply form is only show if the user has the reply access and the current topic is not closed.

Thats something to save time, and frankly I find it very useful myself. Definitly worth installing.

If you need any help, which I doubt :P, just ask - I've installed this and other phpBB2 hacks more times than I would like to admit :shock:

-SMC

All boards come with this feature, you just have to turn it on. Tip.It has obviously decided it's not wowrth turning on.

Erm, not that I know of. Where is the "on/off" button exactly? I doubt they would continue to update Quick Reply hacks if all PhpBB boards had it.

But yes, I do like the idea :)

sithbridgeay2.jpg

All boards come with this feature, you just have to turn it on. Tip.It has obviously decided it's not wowrth turning on.

Erm, not that I know of. Where is the "on/off" button exactly? I doubt they would continue to update Quick Reply hacks if all PhpBB boards had it.

But yes, I do like the idea :)

0.0 maybe just Invisionfree has them.... my bad

tek0705042a6479ro0.pngblipo1cd.png

Not all boards just come with that feature... it can not only depend on the style of board but also the version of it. I know when I upgraded my own set of forums (not runescape ones, completely unrelated) the newer version had Quick reply.

I have it enabled now, however it can be annoying as you have to click to not receive email notifications when someone responds. The default isn't that you choose to get replies. This caused a lot of confusion for all of the members and myself at first, and I could never find a way to change that so it was just something we had to learn to deal with.

However with a board of this size and with all the new members that sign up everyday (if it is indeed the same situation, not sure as I use a different set of boards) you'll have to weigh out the options of whether or not it will be worth it for you guys to impliment.

Not all boards just come with that feature... it can not only depend on the style of board but also the version of it. I know when I upgraded my own set of forums (not runescape ones, completely unrelated) the newer version had Quick reply.

I have it enabled now, however it can be annoying as you have to click to not receive email notifications when someone responds. The default isn't that you choose to get replies. This caused a lot of confusion for all of the members and myself at first, and I could never find a way to change that so it was just something we had to learn to deal with.

However with a board of this size and with all the new members that sign up everyday (if it is indeed the same situation, not sure as I use a different set of boards) you'll have to weigh out the options of whether or not it will be worth it for you guys to impliment.

Not sure which version you installed but the one i linked to dosen't have any of the like. This has to checkboxes after the quick reply box.

Quote post above, and Show Signature. If signature is turned to always show in the profile, then it will be automatically checked.

Not sure which version you installed :?

Anywyas, just so I don't look like a total idiot due to my last idiotic post, I'm going to say this: What's the point of a quick-reply box? It is only there to save you the time of loading the Reply screen. But there's a 1 minute flood control limit anywyas, so there's no point.

Is there?

Now I look like an even bigger idiot

tek0705042a6479ro0.pngblipo1cd.png

Its all about convience.

Two posts above: Just like blipo pointed out, there is a flood control in place. They won't be allowed to spam :)

Post above: Like i said, all about convience. It really dosen't seem big but once its installed you won't know how you lived without it

If there was a vote about this id vote against. Imagine all the "lol" and ":roll: posts youd get by not having to load a different page to post

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd like to see it. In my opinion it will do its bit to reduce bandwidth consumpion a little bit as you don't have to load a totally new page everytime to get to the "post reply" page.
Actually it would increase badwidth IMO. The number of times people read topics without posting on them is far greater than the amount of people who actually reply.

Also there will be more database calls to put the smilies at the bottom of the quick reply box.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd like to see it. In my opinion it will do its bit to reduce bandwidth consumpion a little bit as you don't have to load a totally new page everytime to get to the "post reply" page.
Actually it would increase badwidth IMO. The number of times people read topics without posting on them is far greater than the amount of people who actually reply.

Toucḫ̩̉̉.

(Does this count as spam? *holds off* lol)

Also there will be more database calls to put the smilies at the bottom of the quick reply box.

No smilies next to the box :)

But the amount of loading bandwith required for the quick reply box is vastly less than loading an entirley new page complete with emoticons, bbcode, and previous post lists, and the like.

Not sure which version you installed but the one i linked to dosen't have any of the like. This has to checkboxes after the quick reply box.

Quote post above, and Show Signature. If signature is turned to always show in the profile, then it will be automatically checked.

Not sure which version you installed :?

I have Invision v 2.0.3... its not a free version. Along with the 'Enable Email Notification' it also has 'Enable Smilies' and 'Enable Signatures' already checked. I couldn't find a way to have any of them unchecked.

And I do agree that on this board it wouldn't work too well going along with the other people as saying you don't need to make it that much easier for people to post spam.

But the amount of loading bandwith required for the quick reply box is vastly less than loading an entirley new page complete with emoticons, bbcode, and previous post lists, and the like.

On a one to one yes. But think of the thousands of page views and no posts compared to actual posts. Hell, theres 50k members with 0 posts and im sure they've all seen at least 1 topic. Thats a lot of b/w chomped away. You sound like you've used phpbb before... so you will be aware that the quick reply mod still uses posting.php and the template file for the main reply is only 18k. But the quick reply mod is an extra 5k of code for every person on every page. Add the extra database calls and bam, no doubt about it, the Quick Reply mod is a massive bandwidth waste.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I have Invision v 2.0.3... its not a free version. Along with the 'Enable Email Notification' it also has 'Enable Smilies' and 'Enable Signatures' already checked. I couldn't find a way to have any of them unchecked.

And I do agree that on this board it wouldn't work too well going along with the other people as saying you don't need to make it that much easier for people to post spam.

Alright well formost, and this is very important. This is not invision. Invision is a COMPLETLY different style of php variables, sql calls, and overall structure and should never be compared to phpBB2 in any way, shape, or form.

Secondly, and as already stated, the board has an automatic flood control. The person may only post after every 30 seconds. This applys to ALL submittions by a user to the mysql database with the _posts directory, no matter what manner.

I will tell you now from ALL my experiance with TONS of online forums, the quick reply hack NEVER lead to spamming and only made my, and the life of my members MUCH easier.

Thanks,

SMC

I will tell you now from ALL my experiance with TONS of online forums, the quick reply hack NEVER lead to spamming and only made my, and the life of my members MUCH easier.

Ever heard ot offtopic.com?Half the posts wouldn't be made there if it wasn't for the quick reply option.

sig2ho7.jpg

I thought I had said that without naming names that I had a different set of forums than the ones used here, but after re-reading my original post I can see how it wasn't made clear. I was just mearly stating how not all forums or versions of said forums can just include the option of a quick reply box.

And flood control aside, someone doesn't necesarrily need to post under a certain amount of time to put up something completely unrealted to the topic of the post or just something rude in general.

Lets look at this topic. 16 replies, but SIXTY views.

For an even better example, look at this topic on RS General - the best place for melee training F2P, 37 replies, but over a thousand views.

Alright I'm going to say this right now.

If every suggestion is going to be treated like a flame war, than this section is not going anywhere at all.

I posted a perfectly logical suggestion, with perfectly logical thinking to back it up. Instead it was met with a 'gang bang' of sorts stretching off onto two + pages.

You guys really need to look at yourself in the mirror and decide truley whether or not your secure in yourself and your ability to objectivly look at a suggestion - instead of disagreeing with it.