Carpentry? How about engineering instead?

Einhasad

There has not been one use of carprentry presented yet.

What if an engineering skill were to be implemented?

It would use mining and smithing among other things to get materials and you would be able to create devices like mechanical pets, mechanical guardians, headgear, shields, weapons (guns? composite bows?), and make the gun powder and bullets necessary...

If any of you play WoW then this is very familiar to you..

Engineering in WoW was an awesome trade skill that gave you a leg up in PvP and a lot of novelty items as well...

What do you guys think?

Ok for starters we have dwarves for engineering so I think engineering is covered there sorry. Also, carpentry has been used in RS already. In Ictharin's Helper there is a carpenter there that needs your help so that he can assemble a holy symbol. So when the carpentry skill comes out you will probably be able to make that along with some bank chests probably for POH to give you extra bank space. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a couple of extra rows of bank space over a gun or composite bow in RS anyday and here I'm a ranger :P

captain_poet.png

jagex will never make guns because of the violence to the kids.

I don't really see guns being any more violent than daggers.. throwing knives.. or whips, etc. They all have a violence to them, and could all be deadly (well maybe not so much whip, but still.)

Anyways, he didn't just say guns you know.

I think engineering actually sounds like a good idea.. it could be evolutionary in runescape. The day runescape starts producing more machines. Jagex did say it isn't in any particular time, after all.

I think we should still have carpentry though... and necromancy, then maybe engineering.

meleevsarcher.gif

136 Combat, 2290+ Skill Total

I dont really like the idea too much, but hey, I failed my engineering class :oops:

it could be evolutionary in runescape.

You have got to be kidding me... (By the way, did you mean revolutionary?)

I dont really like the idea too much, but hey, I failed my engineering class :oops:

He's obviously referring to rural Kandarin School Boards decision to teach Intelligent Design

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

He's obviously referring to rural Kandarin School Boards decision to teach Intelligent Design

See, now replies like that are the ones that make me think to the point where I wonder weather I am really thinking... (Has no idea what youre talking about)

No...

evÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷oÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷luÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷tion (v-lshn, v-)

n.

1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See Synonyms at development.

1. The process of developing.

2. Gradual development.

But I guess you could say revolutionary as well (ie. industrial revolution in america)

meleevsarcher.gif

No...

n.

1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See Synonyms at development.

2. Gradual development.

But I guess you could say revolutionary as well (ie. industrial revolution in america)

I dont quite understand how evolutionary makes sense there. I see the definition, and all, but dont see how Engineering in Runescape would be evolutionary... Revolutionary, maybe, evolutionary... :?

No...

n.

2. Gradual development.

I dont quite understand how evolutionary makes sense there. I see the definition, and all, but dont see how Engineering in Runescape would be evolutionary... Revolutionary, maybe, evolutionary... :?

Erm... evolutionary.. revolutionary.. same diff to me.. I see engineering as a big change, and evolution is when something changes. It doesn't have to be just biology related and such. I dont know, lets not get off topic with one word, im sure what I mean by evolutionary is the same you mean by revolutionary. I just meant change pretty much.

meleevsarcher.gif

No...

n.

2. Gradual development.

Erm... evolutionary.. revolutionary.. same diff to me.. I see engineering as a big change, and evolution is when something changes. It doesn't have to be just biology related and such. I dont know, lets not get off topic with one word, im sure what I mean by evolutionary is the same you mean by revolutionary. I just meant change pretty much.

Evolution is very slow and gradual change... Revolution is a bit faster (Dont take my word for it)...

Erm... evolutionary.. revolutionary.. same diff to me..

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Yes, yes let's have guns and robots in RuneScape!

And while we're at it, let's add cars and chainsaws! And don't forget nuclear warheads!

Infact, while we're ruining the game we may aswell add star cruisers!!

Worst. Idea. Ever.

tifsbti6oi.gif

And while we're at it, let's add cars and chainsaws! And don't forget nuclear warheads!

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Good point, there... I dont think Jagex wants RuneScape to be full of the technology we have in modern times... I always had the impression that the game takes place a few centuries ago. (Though Im probably completely wrong) Edit - I mean the lifestyle, and the way things are done

I've discussed the time period it's based in before.

A lot of morons came to the conclusion (without evidence) that it has no time period because it's all made up. Then I pointed out that most of the objects within RuneScape are exactly the same as in <1000 AD... and that King Arthur is featured :P

I can't believe this topic hasn't been flamed to the point of the forum server physically combusting... can't you all see that modern technology would DESTROY RS?

tifsbti6oi.gif

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Runescape is a fantasy game dolt.

And I did not suggest anything more ridiculous than made up metals and magic.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Runescape is a fantasy game dolt.

And I did not suggest anything more ridiculous than made up metals and magic.

I agree with the fact runescape is a fantasy game and isn't based in a specific time and pretty much everyone fails to realise this, but I still don't like the idea of guns, robots ect....I know that's not the whole idea of engineering, but I feel carpentry would fit in to RS better.

ok well no one has touched on this yet so, i'll just bring it up.

being an engineering student, i know what engineering involves, and it is mosty design work. now i can see where you might be able to do something like that in runescape, but then what? what do you do, show people your blueprints? what use would it have in a game? carpentry would be actually building physical products that have value, use, etc. although ive not heard much about it, so i cant really comment on whether or not jagex's idea of carpentry will be good or bad for runescape.

on a side note, every time a new update comes out, everyone complains that the game was just ruined, yet there are more and more people that start playing every day, so i really dont see how the game is ruined when it still serves its purpose, which is to provide entertainment. just my opinion, it means nothing

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

being an engineering student, i know what engineering involves, and it is mosty design work. now i can see where you might be able to do something like that in runescape, but then what? what do you do, show people your blueprints? what use would it have in a game? carpentry would be actually building physical products that have value, use, etc. although ive not heard much about it, so i cant really comment on whether or not jagex's idea of carpentry will be good or bad for runescape.

I was going to say something to that respect but couldn't find the words...

And sure it might work for WoW, but that is radically different than the RS experience :D

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

The problem with a skill like that, while certainly being more interesting than something like carpentry, would be the variety of things you make and still stay in the general-setting-specific boundaries. Something like:

...and 345124 minecarts later, you make it to level 80, at which point you can make dwarf cannons, the only other available engineerable item.

on a side note, every time a new update comes out, everyone complains that the game was just ruined, yet there are more and more people that start playing every day, so i really dont see how the game is ruined when it still serves its purpose, which is to provide entertainment. just my opinion, it means nothing

Haha, another 'geer. I'm an engineering student too. Just wondering, do you know the Engineer's song?

Anyway, engineering would never go over to well with RuneScape. I just can't see how Jagex would somehow plausibly stick it in. They'd have to be rather creative.

Plus, I can already see some of the reactions to it here. One of the reasons Carpentry is such a big deal is because of the POH aspect. With engineering, there's none of that.

Former TET Leader and Member