How do I find out what language was used...?

Well, unless it's some obscure/unusual program, you can usually find what language was used to create a program on Wikipedia. For example, Blender was written in C, C++, and Python. You can see that in the column on the right that has details about the program.

C2b6gs7.png

Unfortunately, it is an obscure program. It was made in Japan. It is a short game. I've just tried looking at the site of the company that made the game, but about 90% of the text is Japanese. That company is called Easygamestation. In case anyones wondering, I'm simply curious about what language was used to make it.

You can tell what some programs are made in by the way it looks. Then again, some look the same. Most software in .net langugages (vb and c#) and c/c++ have a typical Windows look and you can usually tell a java made application. Then again, software developers can paint special GUI characteristics to give the application a new feel.

^ Yeah I was going to tell you that, programs with interfaces that don't fit in are often written in Java.

If you really wanted to find out, you could see which libraries the executable is linked to, but I don't know how to do that in Windows.

C2b6gs7.png

• 2 weeks later...

You don't.

Once it is compiled, there is no reference to the original language that was used. Unless the compiler used leaves that information in the files source code after compiling it. Compiling puts the program into machine code, the original language used is not kept, unless as stated earlier the compiler leaves some trace or information about it intentionally.

This is to my knowledge.

I think most compilers leave basic debugging information, which includes the names of files the executable was created from. On Linux anyway.

But my best guess is C/C++ as I believe that's what the Windows APIs are written in.

C2b6gs7.png

The demo at least was made with Visual C++ 6.0. I couldn't find a a copy of the full game, but it's a statistically 0 probability that it was created with something different from the demo. (Note: I can tell you for certain that it was version 6.0 because that was the only version available for a game released in 2002)