Perfecting My Armadyl Setup

wioneo

I tried soloing at arma for the first time earlier today with overloads/yak/pony and managed 9 kills, which I am told is below average, and I would like to increase my killing efficiency. This was my setup...

soloq.png

...and I left with 5 brew doses(1.25) and 18 rest doses(4.5). So it is clear that I took too many super restores, correct?

I started with 20 total restores(10 in cow) and 30 total brews(20 in yak). What would be a better ratio?

I had 510 diamonds and 255 broad bolts for kc in the pouch. Should I bother with ruby bolts for the first half?

I was using item protect, range protect, and leeching mage, range, and defense while kree was alive.

I killed the mage minion first, followed by melee, and the ranger last(I did not finish killing the ranger several times).

I noticed that I was using about one overload dose per kill, which would suggest 5 minutes per kill, and even though the world's population was around 300, isn't that slow? Also, I'm assuming that people take more than 2 overloads, correct?

What is the average number of boss kills for someone around my levels(in signature) using a yak, pony, and overloads?

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Armor wise your good, the only thing that needs tweaking is your inventory, and maybe your methods.

I had 510 diamonds and 255 broad bolts for kc in the pouch. Should I bother with ruby bolts for the first half?

Don't bother with ruby at all. At 95+ range diamond will be hitting into the high 30's to low 40's. Stick with Diamond for the bosses and broads for KC.

I was using item protect, range protect, and leeching mage, range, and defense while kree was alive.

Don't bother with leech mage as it does very little for you. Since runescape magic tends to have a max hit it will only lower her accuracy, but not enough to notice much of a difference. Just stick with Prot. Item, Deflect Range, Leech Range and Leech Def.

I killed the mage minion first, followed by melee, and the ranger last(I did not finish killing the ranger several times).

This is the correct order. You have about a 50/50 chance of killing the ranger before kree spawns, but since you are deflecting range sometimes deflect will end up killing him during kree anyways. If not you'll just get the ranger every other kill. This is nothing to worry about.

What is the average number of boss kills for someone around my levels(in signature) using a yak, pony, and overloads?

Personally I have never used overloads at Arma so I can't answer this, but when I do trips with extreme range + Rocktail, I end up with about 6-8 kills per trip. I would imagine adding brews into the mix will add many more kills.

Questions:

1) Are you just tanking Arma when you need to heal, or do you step under him while healing. If you step under him ("Dancing") you reduce the damage taken while healing. This also opens the method for shark-brewing. Adding food into the mix will allow overloads to compensate for the brew stat drain, and thus reduce your restore count. Less restores means more room for HP, and thus more kills.

While Shark brewing, I would bring 1 S-Restore dose per every 3-4 Brew doses and 1 Rocktail per 1 brew. You can experiment with this and bring less S-Restores if you feel you don't need them.

2) Are you using an Enhanced Excalibur? Doing so will be a significant help as its 20 HP every 5 minutes. That can total up to 8+ extra sharks a trip!

3) Make sure you bring a 50 or so scrolls in inventory, and a uni pouch at the end of your yak. Using a uni after you yak is out can add an additional kill. To switch easily when Yak is empty, right click summon icon -> follower details -> quick dismiss -> summon uni pouch.

Don't bother with leech mage as it does very little for you. Since runescape magic tends to have a max hit it will only lower her accuracy, but not enough to notice much of a difference. Just stick with Prot. Item, Deflect Range, Leech Range and Leech Def.

I calculated it out to save about 4 full restores per full 40 minutes of prayer by ommitting leech mage, so I will try that next time.

1) Are you just tanking Arma when you need to heal, or do you step under him while healing. If you step under him ("Dancing") you reduce the damage taken while healing. This also opens the method for shark-brewing. Adding food into the mix will allow overloads to compensate for the brew stat drain, and thus reduce your restore count. Less restores means more room for HP, and thus more kills.

I was moving under for 1-2 sips and running to the opposite end of the room for more than that and to eat minion drops/use excali. Is there a better way to reattack it? I did take a lot of melee hits waiting for it to float into my view or running toward it.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I'd bring verac helm, the extra melee and range defence helps a lot. Might mean you're risking armadyl legs though.

I also personally prefer to have a zammy book as my god item for killcount, and wear barrows gloves for extra defence and stuff.

Just make sure that you don't get hit by his melee attacks ever if you can avoid it. This means either running under to eat, or drinking a dose of brew and then quickly attacking again before he melees.

Hey wioneo :D

The only problem that hasn't been mentioned is that you aren't killing melee minion first. Melee does more damage than mage, which is why you need to kill it first. Order should be: Melee, mage, ranger.

guido_49.png

I haven't tried with overloads (only with normal range potions so I'll just add my two cents where I think it may help), but have soloed several times with a yak/uni + similar range level averaging 8-9 kills/trip.

I found rubies to be a large aid for me during the first 1/3 of a kill. I never use them beyond this because the diamond (e) spec should do as much damage without the negatives.

I used a verac's helm. That extra defense helps a lot imo.

Without overloads I use 14 restores & 32 brews (about 1:2). I'd imagine (purely speculation) that with overloads and the extra space you have (50 for brews/restores as opposed to my 46) you can use 14 restores & 36 brews (2:5 ratio). I also kept bones to peaches tabs in my inventory and used them by picking up bones as I was killing minions.

Like others mentioned don't leech magic, it isn't worth it.

Kill minions in the order of: melee --> mage --> range. Also I turn leech range off for all the minions, and leech defense depending on my prayer and whether or not I can recharge via the alter after the minions are dead.

As for re-attacking kree, if you can do it without lag try and use resizeable safe mode setting (or full-screen safe mode). It makes seeing and re-attacking kree a lot easier.

One other thing is that personally I won't tele out of there if I have more than 600 lifepoints in healing power (and am at/near full health). Some kills I've managed without being forced to brew once so that little bit of perseverance can lead to an extra kill. Though with that said if I've little healing power left for a last kill I tend to hover the mouse over my teletab.

Neltak.png

I was moving under for 1-2 sips and running to the opposite end of the room for more than that and to eat minion drops/use excali. Is there a better way to reattack it? I did take a lot of melee hits waiting for it to float into my view or running toward it.

Well the nice thing about a Rocktail + Brew sip combo is that it heals about 370 HP in one attack cycle, instead of the 280 brews would offer.

The trick is to don't eat anything until you hit about 600 LP. At 600 LP, run under Kree, and then eat one Rocktail and one dose of brew. By the time you consume your 1 brew sip your wait timer for eating the food should almost be up, and you should be able to attack again very shortly. Doing this will boost you from 600 to 970 HP. See more about overload healing at the end of this post.

Often you will be eating like this in cycles such as:

Attack for 30 seconds.

Stand under and eat.

Attack for 5 seconds.

Stand under and eat.

Attack for 20 seconds.

ect..

The benefit of this method is, your stats stay close to maximum the entire time with no need to consume super restores except for prayer. If you want to you can even swap them with prayer potions to save some money.

Your magic level (magic defense) is VERY important at Arma. If you brew to much and get your magic to low, his magic attacks will rip you to shreds. The food balance helps this from happening.

As per Excal usage, save it for your overload. Both the overload and excal take 5 minutes, so you can use them effectively together. Basically, the purpose of the excal is to reduce the damage done by the overload to 300 instead of 500.

A good idea is to set up some sort of timer when you dose your overload, so you know when its about to expire. If it is about to expire it would be more wise to safe around 600 LP, so you don't over-eat. But NEVER let yourself drop below 450. The loss of 200-300 HP from the overload is minimal compared to higher chance of getting KO'ed by a combo at 450 and below.

Well thank you for all the help guys, this trip(previous was a horrible failure because prayer dropped and I had to tele) instead of stopping attacking to brew up I tried just doing one sip at a time and then reattacking immediately while mixing in restore sips if prayer was low and/or my stats were under. I also tried taking 35 brews instead of 30 like I did the first time, and i started using ee specs immediately after overload, and turned off leech mage, and to my suprise... I only got 8 kills :D (or maybe 9, does the adventure log count kills with a drop seperately?) and I left with no brews leftover at all, I did however notice that my kill speed increased notably and I was lucky enough to get a helmet drop.

Also a couple of major mistakes that I made were "brewing" 3-4 times with a super restore and neglecting to summon my pony until about 2 kills after my yak was empty. So I will try again and hopefully remember that I have a unicorn in my inventory.

I also attempted to kill the melee minion first for a few kills until I noticed that I was getting jacked up by the mage while doing so...are you sure that Kilisa does more damage? because I have 99 magic and barring a spirit shield close to the maximum magic defense, so I doubt that anyone with similar gear could be taking much less damage from wingman than I do.

EDIT: Oi...managed to almost die because I couldn't get restores out of the cow, very annoying...

Glad your trips are going well. :^_^:

Since you decided to use straight brews here's maybe a couple more things that can help you.

1) If your using 35 brews, stick 30 brews in your yak, and 5 in your inventory. This way you have access to all your super restores and don't have to worry about getting them out when you don't need them, and not being able to pull them out when you do need them.

2) Stick your uni pouch in the last slot of your yak (bottom right). This is so you know when your yak is empty, as it will pull the pouch out when you BoB if it's out of brews. Once you see the uni pouch you know its safe to kill your yak, and (assuming you free'd up some space with using restores) you should have plenty of brews left in inventory to use with your uni.

3) I *personally* find Kilisa much easier to tank than the mager. Most people say kill Kilisa first, but I find it easier to kill her 2nd as she is very inaccurate with melee attacks.

Thanks for that ampharos, can't believe I didn't think to stuff the pony in the yak :wall: