Gears of War 3

Michael

They are releasing two other games modes (I believe) every week of the beta, so it'll still be fun. I think there are still tactics needed now anyway, like for Trenches, the need to rush the nest is pretty big. Having one or two people stand in the grenade spawn to stop anybody else from getting to the nest is a huge help. And with Thrashball, if you can control the concession stands, you can control the entire battlefield. I'm not sure about Checkout, as I think that is the worst map ever, and I haven't played enough of Old Town to really get a feel for it, other than rushing the boomshot/digger launcher.

And you do have a point, though, about the not as tactical now. I've had games where I went 2/13 due to people just running around with the sawed-off and blasting me from behind.

EDITL KOTH is pretty crazy. Only played one game, but it went on for three rounds on Trenches. Incredibly fun when the hill is in the Nest. Although the spawning system needs tweaking. I died, spawned in one of the normal spawns, ran forward RIGHT BEHIND an enemy, shotgunned him, then got shotgunned immediately afterward by a guy who spawned behind me. Still funny as hell though.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Surprised this thread isn't more active seeing as it's about to released in 2 days... Anyone here planning on buying it?

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I do not plan on getting it. Too much money tied up in other games that come out soon.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Not buying as of right now due to all the other games coming out that i'm more interested in. I'd rather wait for the price drop in a few months and snag it up along with the other gears games.

Low_C.png

Ended up buying it LOL. I traded in Crysis 2 and a SvR 2011 game for about 47 bucks because they're offering 40% more trade-in value if you buy gears with your purchase so i got gears for 16 bucks. Couldn't pass it up.

Low_C.png

What's the campaign like?

You choose which path you take over a bridge and you choose if you want to provide cover fire to the truck your team is driving or you can drive in the truck itself. These options make the game feel more immersive not to mention the cut scenes are amazing. It's one of the best campaigns of any game i've ever played and i can see a ton of replayability if you're into finding cog tags and collectibles or replaying it to get more achievements for co-op and hardcore mode ect.

Low_C.png

I totally forgot I pre-ordered this when it was announced. Wasn't planning on getting it until a few months from now, but I guess not. Played for quite a while today, the campaign is looking pretty good :thumbup:

You choose which path you take over a bridge and you choose if you want to provide cover fire to the truck your team is driving or you can drive in the truck itself. These options make the game feel more immersive not to mention the cut scenes are amazing. It's one of the best campaigns of any game i've ever played and i can see a ton of replayability if you're into finding cog tags and collectibles or replaying it to get more achievements for co-op and hardcore mode ect.

You can drive yourself? God, driving has been awful in the previous parts. Is it any better? Also, are there still those terrible on-rails sections nobody enjoys? These two things really ruined the past games.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

You can drive yourself? God, driving has been awful in the previous parts. Is it any better? Also, are there still those terrible on-rails sections nobody enjoys? These two things really ruined the past games.

No, you shoot a Gatling gun from the rear of the truck. It's actually pretty fun because [cabbage] is exploding and falling all around you as you're drove through the mayhem. Sorry if i misled you but i was trying to express the parts of the game that succeed in being over the top suspense.

Low_C.png

Just beat the campaign. Best shooter campaign I've played EVER. I also got a Marcus headband avatar reward for beating it so i'm happy :P.

Were you playing a different game to what I just played?

Spoilers inside.

The story didn't progress much throughout the game, there were loads of unanswered questions and was just unsatisfying. The whole game was a bunch of fetch quests with about 5 minutes of story thrown in at the start then at the end. This is how the story went:

1) Prescott comes back from disappearance as ship comes under attack from lambent. Find out Marcus' dad is alive and you need to ask Prescott about it.

2) Them walking around the island after being shipwrecked, finally get to prescott to ask him and get an answer to where but not exact details, need to go find them. Go speak to Hoffman!

3) Head off to find Hoffman, go on wacky adventures on the way there, fighting off locust and [cabbage], eventually get there and have to fight off lots of locust again.Find out they're on a hidden island, need to go underwater to get there, but the sub is broken! Then sent on more fetch quests.

4) Dom dies during one of the fetch quests, find out there's lambent humans, finsh fetch quests after going on a fetch quest for the things you were fetching for the first fetch quest then finally get in sub and head to secret island.

5) Marcus' dad has something to kill the imulsion/lambent as you find out the imulsion is a living thing but solution will kill locust too which the queen is trying to stop. Adam knew e-day would happen and was trying to prevent it, Get to adam -> Escape -> setup device while fighting off Queen -> Beat Queen -> It works but Adam dies! -> Marcus kills queen -> YAY END

Leaves plenty of unanswered questions. Why is the Locust Queen human-like? How did Adam Fenix know the Locust Queen prior to e-day and why was he researching Imulsion? And a whole bunch more things weren't explained.

The fighting itself was alright, although without any significant story reasons for continuing to fight more stuff it just felt like fighting things for the sake of fighting things. There were numerous times where I was just bored of fighting things and just wanted to get onto the next major story piece and that never really came until the end of the game, leaving me unsatisfied most of the way through the campaign except for a few small moments here and there but mostly just uneventful. The Unreal Engine is also showing its age and that certainly made a few parts of it less enjoyable for me. I think I had 23 deaths playing through on Hardcore, well over 50% of those were due to frustrations with the engine or AI rather than actual difficult sections. The number of times the AI just wandered about instead of picking me up when I was downed so it timed out was crazy. I was left frustrated a number of times due to not being given a decent weapon selection for what was needed, this is especially true for the Armoured Kantus which require explosive weapons. Picking up weapons for a fight then being skipped ahead with an empty weapon before getting the chance to pick my other one back up was also annoying. In the end I just stuck with Lancer + Gnasher through most of it as if I went down any other routes I'd just be struggling for ammo for the other weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the campaign but it just felt so unsatisfying at times I really don't see how it is the best shooter campaign.

I shoulda same gameplay wise. I'm sure their are better story's out there that I haven't gotten ahold off yet but I quite enjoyed this one. I'm not the biggest Gears fan though so I picked up the game not expecting much. I'm sure Gears fans would have wanted more closure, is that where you're coming from?

Edit: Those Armoured Kantus were downright annoying but i had no trouble picking them off with Frags and Boomshots .

Low_C.png

I shoulda same gameplay wise. I'm sure their are better story's out there that I haven't gotten ahold off yet but I quite enjoyed this one. I'm not the biggest Gears fan though so I picked up the game not expecting much. I'm sure Gears fans would have wanted more closure, is that where you're coming from?

Edit: Those Armoured Kantus were downright annoying but i had no trouble picking them off with Frags and Boomshots .

They just didn't give enough variation to the gameplay to make it that great in my opinion. If you're using a torque bow for example you get 6 shots out of it and maybe a few more if you kill the enemies in that area then when you're onto the next one you're left with a useless weapon with no ammo and have to switch back to lancer or whatever. There were numerous situations where I switched weapons to something else and then found myself in an area where I needed a long ranged weapon with no chance to get one at that second so just had to sit there and try and pick them off with a pistol or try and somehow find a way around and kill them with a shotgun, lots of times that's just not possible especially on hardcore. With things like grenades as well where I didn't use them all the time as I had no idea when I'd get more and I might need them, if I had more or got restocked more often I'd have been willing to use them more and get more variety in there but due to their scarcity that option wasn't really there. I can understand limiting the power weapons some what but they either needed more ammo or the ability to get a small amount of ammo for them from the ammo pick ups. The fact that even the longshot doesn't get refilled from the ammo pick-ups shocked me as that's usually my goto weapon in the last two games when it came to the campaign.

Story wise really just the lack of progress throughout the game and the unexplained things at the end are what made that not great. The end felt a little rushed too but at aleast it was closed and there's not really any chance of a sequel. (A prequel is a possibility though, which I'd like). It's just a shame for a game I've been waiting for nearly 3 years for to just leave so many things unexplained while closing the story at the same time. Maybe DLC will come out that'll explain it? I hope so, but should have been in the main game.

They just didn't give enough variation to the gameplay to make it that great in my opinion. If you're using a torque bow for example you get 6 shots out of it and maybe a few more if you kill the enemies in that area then when you're onto the next one you're left with a useless weapon with no ammo and have to switch back to lancer or whatever. There were numerous situations where I switched weapons to something else and then found myself in an area where I needed a long ranged weapon with no chance to get one at that second so just had to sit there and try and pick them off with a pistol or try and somehow find a way around and kill them with a shotgun, lots of times that's just not possible especially on hardcore. With things like grenades as well where I didn't use them all the time as I had no idea when I'd get more and I might need them, if I had more or got restocked more often I'd have been willing to use them more and get more variety in there but due to their scarcity that option wasn't really there. I can understand limiting the power weapons some what but they either needed more ammo or the ability to get a small amount of ammo for them from the ammo pick ups. The fact that even the longshot doesn't get refilled from the ammo pick-ups shocked me as that's usually my goto weapon in the last two games when it came to the campaign.

Story wise really just the lack of progress throughout the game and the unexplained things at the end are what made that not great. The end felt a little rushed too but at aleast it was closed and there's not really any chance of a sequel. (A prequel is a possibility though, which I'd like). It's just a shame for a game I've been waiting for nearly 3 years for to just leave so many things unexplained while closing the story at the same time. Maybe DLC will come out that'll explain it? I hope so, but should have been in the main game.

Buy the season pass and you should get new campaign DLC in the coming months. I agree with you on the weapons aspect, I never had trouble finding a weapon but I always ended up using a lancer 75% of the time and the other time im using a crossbow, hammerburst, ect. I think variation would have helped but It wasn't a deal breaker for me gameplay wise. I still had fun and i plan on playing through co-op and insane difficulty possibly.

Low_C.png

No, you shoot a Gatling gun from the rear of the truck. It's actually pretty fun because [cabbage] is exploding and falling all around you as you're drove through the mayhem. Sorry if i misled you but i was trying to express the parts of the game that succeed in being over the top suspense.

So another [cabbage]ty on-rails part? Ugh.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

I actually thought it was pretty fun. And it is a really short section, maybe ~5 minutes max. Nothing OMG I HATE DOING THIS WHY DOES IT MAKE ME DO THIS worthy.

I actually thought it was pretty fun. And it is a really short section, maybe ~5 minutes max. Nothing OMG I HATE DOING THIS WHY DOES IT MAKE ME DO THIS worthy.

Agreed.

In other news I went back through and found the first 20 collectibles and 5/15 cog tags. I also played my first game of Horde and got to wave 38 with an awesome group of random people haha. I'll be no lifing horde tomorrow for sure.

Low_C.png