What is music? What is good music?

Astralinre

Well, that's the question, so what's your answer?

My view is this. Music is one of the most powerful tools we have for communication. It goes straight to the heart, past the defenses of reason, therefore can be either very beneficial or very harmful. It ought to have melody, harmony, rhythm, and beat.

But what separates good music from the rest? I'd say that good music is composed well, sounds good, and contains harmony, melody, etc. But there's something deeper than that - good music communicated truth, beauty and goodness.

So what's your view? Is it about what sounds good? Is it about the message, lyrics, or beat? Is screamo music? Is rap music/ Is country western music? Is rock music? Is classical music really music? What are your thoughts? Oh, and I don't mean for anyone to answer each individual question; I'm just trying to begin some trains of thought.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

There is no good and bad music, everything is a matter of opinion.

I used to be into speedcore and still love it. It's basically absolute noise but i find it hard to hate. it's just so fricken insane and awesome :shock:

Most would say melody, harmony and structure, But that's just their opinion. It might be the popular opinion, but its their opinion.

I like most stuff. I love really uplifting chords like in hybrid's work and progressive trance. then again, i love noisecore and metalcore :D

logo.jpg

I have to go with Futurama on this one. It's all a matter of opinion. For example, I listen to rock and metal, and during parts where people who might prefer rap or classic or whatever just hear random and incoherent noise, I can discern structure and flow that is appealing to me.

The first thing I listen for in a song is basically how it sounds: if there are any catchy riffs, nice solo and/or a catchy/structured/melodic kind of melody repeating throughout the song.

I'd say it's about 80% how it sounds, and 20% lyrics for me.

2009rb9.jpg

It's a combination of anything. I prefer bands who bring something new to the table; for example, bands that fuse genres, elements, styles, instruments and whatnot (Rage Against The Machine, Coil, Faith No More, New Order etc). My tastes vary from classical interpretations of contemporary artists ("The String Quartet Tribute to ... XYZ"), to country like Johnny Cash, to death metal like Devildriver and spoken word/magick-music such as Coil. It really all depends, but for me at least, there's no formal framework for what makes music so good. It's the absence of formal framework, restrictions and the stretching of those bounds that make it unique and enjoyable for me.

Personally I see that good music is:

1) It somehow "touches" the listener. It makes the listener to think or gives him emotional things.

2) It is something real. It is exactly made how the artist/band wants, not how the fans(=customers) or how the music company wants.

Because of these principles (of mine), my music taste is pretty "weird". I listen almost to no mainstream bands (only Iron Maiden and old Metallica), my cd collection countains mainly underground or less-known bands.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Really depends what mood I am in, but basically I like everything. Sometimes I just want a catchy tune, sometimes I want the song to move me, sometimes I just want to get pumped up and sometimes I want to relax. And defining music is kind of hard.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

In my opinion good music is music that you are proud to play to your friends, without caring whether or not they like it. Good music is always somewhat better when heard on the radio, because you know that somewhere out there, someone else is listening and being touched by the music just like you are.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

In my opinion good music is music that you are proud to play to your friends, without caring whether or not they like it. Good music is always somewhat better when heard on the radio, because you know that somewhere out there, someone else is listening and being touched by the music just like you are.

Personally I think that the music played on radio is the worst music after that played on MTV.

Usually the music is made for record companies and to earn money. I believe that this is the wrong way, after all music should be made to express yourself and your feelings.

I don't really care what do the others think about my music taste. I don't run after trends, I follow my inner voice. It's good music when I like it, not when someone else likes it.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

It ought to have melody, harmony, rhythm, and beat.

That is why I like Ska...not only is there loads of harmonizing, but the music chords are amazing....Plus you normally have to be a good singer to play a brass instrument as well as most Ska bands do.

good music is composed well, sounds good, and contains harmony, melody, etc. But there's something deeper than that - good music communicated truth, beauty and goodness.

Yeah....

But like Futurma said.

There is no good or bad music, everything is a matter of opinion.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.