Upgrading my computer for Gaming.

Dizzle229

Hey guys.

I'm sitting atop a mountain of leftover gift cards, and decided to spend it on upgrading my PC to play a wider range of games, and improve performance for games I already have. Since being able to spawn more objects in Gmod was the original inspiration for this, I thought what I needed was a RAM upgrade. However, upon consulting CanYouRunIt, the one thing that seems to keep me from not only achieving, but surpassing the recommended settings on most games, is my Video Card.

This was what failed when I ran a check for Just Cause 2.

Recommended: DX10 compatible graphics card with 512 MB of memory (Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 series/ ATI Radeon HD 5750 series)

You Have: ATI display adapter (0x94C1)

I'm leaning towards the ATI Radeon HD 5750. The thing is, will this make my existing games run faster, or will I need to upgrade RAM as well for that? And will this card allow me to play most games, or just stuff like Just Cause 2? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. When it comes to hardware, I'm what I like to call "Technologically Impaired."

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

What's your current stuff?

Start - Run - type "dxdiag", screenshot (or write): System+screen

Depending on your current psu, you might need to change that as well (+40-50$).

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

A new video card would give you greater fps at a higher detail level.

Is this OS 32 or 64 bit? I didn't see that info anywhere, although it should be there. If it's 32 bit, then don't bother buying more RAM, as you won't be able to use it.

Processor seems pretty decent though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's 32 Bit, so thanks for the warning. Almost wasted some cash.

Would you recommend the card I mentioned in the original post, or is there anything better card I can get? (Preferrably within the 100$-200$ range.)

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

When I built this computer half a year ago (some may remember the thread), I used that same graphics card. It is amazing. btw 5750 is dx11

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

As you're still using Vista, DX11 isn't that useful as it's Win7 only. So I'd recommend trying to get a 4870 or 4890. Both are good value and offer good performance. If you do plan on upgrading to Win7 in the future, the 5750 is fine, so is the 5770. However, the 4890 is faster than both, and the 4870 is on par with the 5770 at the moment.

That said, as always with upgrading your graphics card, make sure your computer's PSU (power supply) can support the new card. Specifically, make sure it has a PCI-E 6pin adapter, as that's what most medium-high end graphics cards need, I know the 5750 and 5770 need one. The 5750 doesn't use that much power so anything around 400-500W would be fine running it, for the 4870 and 4890 I'd think about upgrading your PSU if your PSU is rated lower than 500W. To find out what your PSU is rated at just take the side panel off and look on the side of the PSU, there should be a sticker with some info on it.

(15:14:25) <Vidi> Peter likes barbie xD

(15:14:30) <Peter> totally

(15:14:46) <Peter> I've got all the accessories

As you're still using Vista, DX11 isn't that useful as it's Win7 only.

I'm not following you, DX11 is for Vista as well.

I've probably misunderstood you.

I got a laptop recently with a Mobile 5650, and I get a comfortable 30fps on high settings. It runs GMod from 30-100fps depending how much stuff I've spawned, and that's with all the settings maxed out. Basically, expect the 575o/5770 to be even better than that. They should run pretty much all newer games quite well. Also, a big massive +1 to Vidi about the power supply. If you do get a new one, make sure it's a decent one from a good brand. Cheaper PSUs can be unreliable, and it's the one part of your computer that you really can't afford to break.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Fun video (it's 2 years old i think, but nothing has changed about budget brands since): http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747

As you're still using Vista, DX11 isn't that useful as it's Win7 only.

I'm not following you, DX11 is for Vista as well.

I've probably misunderstood you.

No no my bad. DX11 is Vista and Win7. Thought they were gonna do it like DX10. My bad sorry.

Looks like this project will have to be put on hold for a few...months. My mom thinks I'm an idiot and won't let me touch my damn computer, thinking I'll break it, even though I explained to her that all I need to do is take the side panel off and check the power supply. Now she wants to wait until July so we can hire an expert to do it <_<

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Looks like this project will have to be put on hold for a few...months. My mom thinks I'm an idiot and won't let me touch my damn computer, thinking I'll break it, even though I explained to her that all I need to do is take the side panel off and check the power supply. Now she wants to wait until July so we can hire an expert to do it <_<

Try and convince her that the "expert" will cost you a fortune. Cause it will. It is not hard to replace a graphics card, just google "how to install a graphics card" and you're good to go.

Just buy a anti-statics wrist band for 5$. Even i use one, i know i can do without it but it just gives me a bit of "confidence" so i know i wont fry the stuff. (yes i know you aren't touching anything when checking the psu label but some parents can be vary of kids dealing with 100's of dollar worth of hardware)