Your phone: is it your property?

Myweponsg00d

A cell phone is not a necessity unless you need it for business, or you have personal obligations that require you to always be reachable.

In all other cases, it should be used when *you* want to use it, not when others insist on demanding your time.

Exactly like chat in RS.

And I support turning chat OFF when you dont want to use it.

This topic is about dependancy on an object of technology.

The other topic is about un-necessarily limiting your interaction with strangers in an online gaming community.

The two threads are different. I'm sorry that you feel the need to draw illogical parallels just to validate your view.

Actually, the two threads are nearly identical.

People turn chat off for the same reason they turn phones off: they don't want to be disturbed.

People turn chat to friends for the same reason they use caller ID: they want to choose only to be disturbed by people they know and trust.

Caller ID exists for a reason. The same reason why the "Friends" setting exists in chat. :)

Just two different forms of communication. And in both cases, it's important to always be in control of the means of communication, not let the means of communication control you.

That of course doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the technology. There are just people who don't know how to use it properly.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the if the quality and quantity of the benefits were better than the disadvantages, I might.

Right now, I don't see myself doing anything like that, because I'd lose the parts of my life I find vital.

That's not the case with phones. They're just useful and helpful, why shouldn't I use them?

Actually, the two threads are nearly identical.

People turn chat off for the same reason they turn phones off: they don't want to be disturbed.

I'll stop you right here, because it isnt the spirit of the thread.

The discussion is about use of technology, not people bothering me.

If people all had mental telepathy naturally, then I would not want to shut my mental telepathy to be turned off.

The point is summed up by the quote I posted, invention being the mother of necessity. We only need cells because they were invented, and we only carry them everywhere because people want us to.

It has nothing to do with me wanting/not wanting to talk to people.

If the if the quality and quantity of the benefits were better than the disadvantages, I might.

Right now, I don't see myself doing anything like that, because I'd lose the parts of my life I find vital.

That's not the case with phones. They're just useful and helpful, why shouldn't I use them?

What would you lose out of your life? I'm talking an identical robotic copy of your human body. Full functionality, but synthetically produced.

Also, some scientists are saying that cells may cause brain tumors in the 40-50 year mark of usage. I don't really want to get into that though...But other people (myself included) just don't enjoy unnatural things being a part of myself. I like to be fully aware of nature and also in tune with my body. I think that technology creates superficiality. It just isn't what I enjoy, and I was curious how other people feel about technology defining them (or if anyone had stopped to even consider it).

And yes, I knew this would be a crazy shot in the dark, on a board about a nerdy computer game. :razz:

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

This entire thread is based on false assumptions and generalizations.

Some people may feel obligated to carry a cell phone at all times. Many others do not.

My wife and I have one cell phone that we share, and we use it so little that it's on a 25c/minute prepaid plan. We mostly use it only when one is out and needs to contact the other.

People who feel tied to a cell phone get that way because they buy into bogus societal dictates that insist that their time is the province of anyone who wants to take it. I don't.

There's nothing wrong with cell phones. You just have to use them intelligently.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Some people may feel obligated to carry a cell phone at all times. Many others do not.

My wife and I have one cell phone that we share, and we use it so little that it's on a 25c/minute prepaid plan. We mostly use it only when one is out and needs to contact the other.

People who feel tied to a cell phone get that way because they buy into bogus societal dictates that insist that their time is the province of anyone who wants to take it. I don't.

There's nothing wrong with cell phones. You just have to use them intelligently.

Thats what I'm sayin'

I'm saying that most people have fed into this product like it is a necessity. Saying "I didnt feel like having my cell phone" is not even comprehensible to many (most?) people.

Like I said, I have one. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the invention, but with society's use (misuse?) of it.

I mean look at some of the responses here. Saru said that if his friend didn't have a cell phone, he would assume that he either didn't want to be contacted or his friend was a weirdo. That's the problem I'm talking about. It is now "weird" if we don't have our box of radiation-emitting wires on us at all times.

I go camping and leave my phone at home. Could I get reception in the forest? Yes. Do I NOT WANT to be talked to? Not necessarily. Its not that I want to turn down social interaction, its just that I want to cut my tether to my material possessions.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Thats what I'm sayin'

I'm saying that most people have fed into this product like it is a necessity. Saying "I didnt feel like having my cell phone" is not even comprehensible to many (most?) people.

Like I said, I have one. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the invention, but with society's use (misuse?) of it.

I mean look at some of the responses here. Saru said that if his friend didn't have a cell phone, he would assume that he either didn't want to be contacted or his friend was a weirdo. That's the problem I'm talking about. It is now "weird" if we don't have our box of radiation-emitting wires on us at all times.

I go camping and leave my phone at home. Could I get reception in the forest? Yes. Do I NOT WANT to be talked to? Not necessarily. Its not that I want to turn down social interaction, its just that I want to cut my tether to my material possessions.

I think this is bs.

Yes mostly people have a phone on them at all times, but nearly everyone will gladly put the phone on silent or turn it off because they wanna be left alone or w/e

Simply having it with you doesn't dictate a necessity.

I'll gladly ignore my phone all day and night long, but I'll have it with me; because if I do happen to get lost or break down or face an emergency its more efficient to have a phone right there in your pocket than walking for miles or trying to find a phone box or w/e

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I think this is bs.

Yes mostly people have a phone on them at all times, but nearly everyone will gladly put the phone on silent or turn it off because they wanna be left alone or w/e

Simply having it with you doesn't dictate a necessity.

I'll gladly ignore my phone all day and night long, but I'll have it with me; because if I do happen to get lost or break down or face an emergency its more efficient to have a phone right there in your pocket than walking for miles or trying to find a phone box or w/e

Then good for you! I wasn't trying to say "every single person who reads this is an evil bastard and misuses his phone"

Your phone doesn't own you. You have asessed when it is necessary to have it, when you actually WANT to have it, and when it would be convenient to use.

What I was more talking about was the type of people who stay absorbed in their phones all the time. Checking email, checking texts...facebook...twitter...calling, all that stuff...like ALL day. I mean, I live in the middle of Pittsburgh so maybe I just see more technologically "tuned in" people than you guys do. But I can safely say that most of the people I see on a daily basis are so plugged into their phone that they couldn't imagine going a month without it.

You sound like you could live without your phone. So this thread is not yelling at you :razz:

What I am truly concerned about is the children today who are being given their phones at age 8 or even younger. These kids will have it even more ingrained in their heads that a cell phone is just a part of life.

Myweponsgood.gif

But you are implying its a majority who are absorbed by their phones.

My point is this is bs, its a minority the vast majority carry it with them just in case and will happily decide to use it or ignore it as their mood fits.

And your judgement is flawed, you are judging people NEED their phone because you see them use it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What I was more talking about was the type of people who stay absorbed in their phones all the time.

Why is this any concern of yours?

There is a spectrum from people who are online all the time to those who never use anything electronic.

But I can safely say that most of the people I see on a daily basis are so plugged into their phone that they couldn't imagine going a month without it.

I think you are exaggerating, or you hang in a rather strange crowd.

These kids will have it even more ingrained in their heads that a cell phone is just a part of life.

So what?

signew2.png

I think cell phones are still luxuries for people to have just as much as it is a luxury to have a car. More people have them these days so when you find someone who doesn't have one it is a bit of a shock but it isn't a necessary item to have on a day to day bases. No one forces you to have a cellphone. I think you'd have a better argument with computers personally.

tFtfA.jpg

So what?

Thats what the thread is about.

Thats what I'm asking. Do you feel comfortable with the idea that cell phones are growing to the point of where you are EXPECTED to carry them? I dont support this side of the fence, and would like to hear people's opinions on why they think man can become one with technology.

Or do you feel upset or uncomfortable with the idea that we are starting to rely on our cell phone?

I don't think it is a good idea. I think that people getting used to the sense of "immediate gratification" is warping our society. Its why McDonalds is even in business and continuing to feed poison to the masses.

I think cell phones are still luxuries for people to have just as much as it is a luxury to have a car. More people have them these days so when you find someone who doesn't have one it is a bit of a shock but it isn't a necessary item to have on a day to day bases. No one forces you to have a cellphone. I think you'd have a better argument with computers personally.

I do feel upset by this. I am expected to check my e-mail daily. My only comfort is that people still understand that my computer stays at home, and they only expect me to be available by email when I am at home. That may be changing though...if the "standard" phone starts to become like a Blackberry then I might be screwed.

Myweponsgood.gif

Thats what I'm asking. Do you feel comfortable with the idea that cell phones are growing to the point of where you are EXPECTED to carry them? I dont support this side of the fence, and would like to hear people's opinions on why they think man can become one with technology.

Or do you feel upset or uncomfortable with the idea that we are starting to rely on our cell phone?

But you're "begging the question" here.

You're starting with an assumption that people are "expected" to carry cell phones and asking if this is a good idea or not, when it's simply NOT TRUE that anyone is "expected" to carry anything.

signew2.png

But you're "begging the question" here.

You're starting with an assumption that people are "expected" to carry cell phones and asking if this is a good idea or not, when it's simply NOT TRUE that anyone is "expected" to carry anything.

Then I guess you live alone in the country and I live around tons of people in the city. My friends and family depend on the fact that I will answer their phone calls, or else they get worried or upset.

They know I own a cell phone and they expect that I will be available on it at a moment's notice, to at least return their call within a day.

If I tell someone I'm not watching TV this week, nobody would care. If I tell someone I am turning my cell phone off for a week, they think I'm a freak.

Myweponsgood.gif

I agree that today, more than ever, "Invention is the mother of necessity". I just don't think cellphones are a good example of this, or an example at all.

My friends and family depend on the fact that I will answer their phone calls, or else they get worried or upset.

That's simply habit, and habits can be broken. If they are used to always being able to reach you, then they'll be concerned if they can't. If you stop being reachable all the time, they'll get used to that as well.

I had a cell phone when they were quite novel.. I think it was around 1989. It was one of those big beasties with a rubber knobby antenna. It took only a few weeks before people started expecting to be able to reach me on it.. and only a few weeks after I got rid of the phone for them to stop.

If I tell someone I'm not watching TV this week, nobody would care. If I tell someone I am turning my cell phone off for a week, they think I'm a freak.

The problem here isn't the cell phone, it is that you care if people think you're a "freak". You can't simultaneously complain about societal norms and then force yourself to adhere to them in order to fit in.

It's all habit and expectation. Make a stand and stick to it.

signew2.png

That's simply habit, and habits can be broken. If they are used to always being able to reach you, then they'll be concerned if they can't. If you stop being reachable all the time, they'll get used to that as well.

I had a cell phone when they were quite novel.. I think it was around 1989. It was one of those big beasties with a rubber knobby antenna. It took only a few weeks before people started expecting to be able to reach me on it.. and only a few weeks after I got rid of the phone for them to stop.

The problem here isn't the cell phone, it is that you care if people think you're a "freak". You can't simultaneously complain about societal norms and then force yourself to adhere to them in order to fit in.

It's all habit and expectation. Make a stand and stick to it.

Sigh. Qeltar I do love you, I really do, but please just listen to me. My intent of this thread is to discuss cell phone technology and whether or not people should be inventing these items that become expected for people to carry around all the time.

I don't want to make this the definition of habit or stance or societal norms, or whether I should break the norms.

I wanted to discuss the place of technology in the life of man.

You're just hell bent on making yourself win a battle, but I really dont even want a battle to exist here. So either you can keep talking about whatever it is you are trying to get at, or you can talk about what I tried to make this thread about. I am sorry if you feel like I included you in the people that I "disapprove" of, but it sounds like you have a good idea of what an object is, and what it means to own an object.

The point of the thread is that the growing trend is that people do not use technology at their leisure, but rather they depend on their technology as though it is one of their limbs. Particularly mobile phones.

I understand that I CAN break the norm, but the discussion is out of concern for society, not my personal well being. Whether or not this norm is a problem. I am not concerned for my well-being because I have been blessed with enough common sense to evaluate what parts of my life are good for me or bad for me. But many people cannot make this evaluation, or do not even bother to think about technology.

Which is how we end up with cancer from over-processed foods, and brain tumors from cell phones.

Myweponsgood.gif

I understand the point of the thread. I just think you are blaming the tools instead of the people who misuse them.

Cell phones are incredibly useful devices. In fact, so useful that people don't even pay attention to just how important they are.

They can be literally life-saving. And while you are focusing on how they tie people down, I wonder if you've forgotten how much they free people as well.

I just don't see this horrible reliance that you're speaking of. I think people use phones a lot because they like using them a lot. Sorry. :)

signew2.png

I understand the point of the thread. I just think you are blaming the tools instead of the people who misuse them.

Cell phones are incredibly useful devices. In fact, so useful that people don't even pay attention to just how important they are.

They can be literally life-saving. And while you are focusing on how they tie people down, I wonder if you've forgotten how much they free people as well.

I just don't see this horrible reliance that you're speaking of. I think people use phones a lot because they like using them a lot. Sorry. :)

I'm blaming society. I want to know if you think it is right or wrong the ammount of dependance that we have on our cell phones. They are basically security blankets..

I understand they are useful, but my problem is that people don't even think of them as useful pieces of equipment anymore, but rather a staple of society. They fail to see how unnecessary they actually are.

If you don't own a TV, people think "Oh, I guess he just doesnt like TV"

If you don't own a car, people think "Oh I guess hes concerned for the environment, or maybe just doesn't need one"

If you take the stairs instead of the elevator, people think you are being healthy.

If you don't have a phone, people think you are a shut-in loser.

Myweponsgood.gif

I think the point OP was making is that people expect you to have one and use it extensively. Not blaming the phone, but reacting to certain people's expectation that everyone should use theirs as much as they do. I laugh at the recent commercial for a phone that gives live twitter and facebook updates...gee, that's just what I want, live updates of pointless worthless crap I could care less about.

Funny related story. My wife and I were out to dinner recently and at a table near us, were three teenagers. They were all texting for almost the entire time they were there and I never heard any of them speak. I whispered to my wife, "Do you think they are texting each other?"

I understand they are useful, but my problem is that people don't even think of them as useful pieces of equipment anymore, but rather a staple of society. They fail to see how unnecessary they actually are.

I recently went without one for about a year and honestly the only thing I really missed was the clock. lol

I'm the kind of guy who carries his cellphone arround but I rarely ever answer most of the text messages. I agree with most of what you said, it's pretty stupid seeing how everyone suddenly feels the need to text someone back just the second they get a message.

I agree. I have a phone, and it's pretty much an expectation here which I don't really get. :unsure:

j0xPu5R.png

i find it interesting that noone has commented on my facebook comparison at all. facebook runs our lives more, and is less essential, making for a less bombastic debate/discussion/argument? Or I may be living under a rock in a cave here?

i find it interesting that noone has commented on my facebook comparison at all. facebook runs our lives more, and is less essential, making for a less bombastic debate/discussion/argument? Or I may be living under a rock in a cave here?

Facebook doesn't run our lives. Unless you allow it too. It is a tool for keeping in touch with people and helping to organise events; nothing more nothing less

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Facebook doesn't run our lives. Unless you allow it too. It is a tool for keeping in touch with people and helping to organise events; nothing more nothing less

how many hours a week do you spend on facebook, and how many hours a week do you tinker with your cell phone?