Your phone: is it your property?

Myweponsg00d

I've had a phone since I was 9. It was useful, helped me socially, was interesting, etc.

You don't seem to have made any valid arguments; if you aren't just trolling and actually think what you're writing you are either really deluded or overreacting. Or both. You know clothes? It's horrible that people expect you to have them, people are so dependent on them, they are social norms etc. People are the slaves of clothes. Imagine if your car broke down, you would need clothes- Blah blah blah you get the point. Cellphones are different? Cellphones are cheap and disposable, easy to find, and people can become addicted to clothes too (As with just about anything). You have to know where they are all the time? So what, you could say the same about your keys, or, for that matter, your clothes. Yeah, it's technology. Who cares. Get over it.

And what about glasses, man? And beyond that, contacts! Wearing no contacts, but opting for glasses? Bizarre looks abound! This shall not be tolerated!

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand why you're so against the "social requirement" of owning a cell phone, could you explain that a little better? Will they become acceptable to you once we can communicate instantaneously via a chip implanted into our brain? I can't understand why it's the only piece of technology you have a vendetta against.

If you want to churn your butter instead of buy it from a store, nobody cares. If you take stairs instead of the elevator, people sometimes admire you for being active. If you bike instead of use a car, people understand that you might either be active or are trying to be green.

If you don't have a cell phone or a phone at all, people think you are a social misfit. All my friends use cell phones, but if I refused to even own one, do you think that they would be willing to send me letters or walk to my house if they wanted to talk to me? I'm frustrated by the fact that our teleophone technology is less of a luxury and more of an expectation. Hell, a lot of jobs WILL basically require you to have a cell phone.

Plus, the philosophical "use" of it demands its use. I don't really know how to say this in a non confusing way...But the purpose of cell phones is basically "In case I am out of the house and people want to talk to me" or "In case I get in a car crash and need to call for asisstance." Basically, you only carry the thing with you because you are afraid of your unknown future. I don't know if I explained that correctly.

And I will never have a chip implanted in me for recreational purposes. For medical purposes...maybe? I'm not sure. But thats kind of what I am asking in the thread. I feel like our phones have become our constant companion, and many people WOULD have them implanted in their head if they could. What I am saying is that I feel we are getting a bit too close to this type "reliance" on technology, and I was wondering what other people thought about it. Would YOU get a phone implant?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I still don't understand why you're so against the "social requirement" of owning a cell phone, could you explain that a little better? Will they become acceptable to you once we can communicate instantaneously via a chip implanted into our brain? I can't understand why it's the only piece of technology you have a vendetta against.

If you want to churn your butter instead of buy it from a store, nobody cares. If you take stairs instead of the elevator, people sometimes admire you for being active. If you bike instead of use a car, people understand that you might either be active or are trying to be green.

If you don't have a cell phone or a phone at all, people think you are a social misfit. All my friends use cell phones, but if I refused to even own one, do you think that they would be willing to send me letters or walk to my house if they wanted to talk to me? I'm frustrated by the fact that our teleophone technology is less of a luxury and more of an expectation. Hell, a lot of jobs WILL basically require you to have a cell phone.

No one is "expecting" you to have a phone. You'd be choosing yourself not to "conform" to having a cell phone and making it harder for your friends to contact you. It's not their fault that they don't want to mail a letter to your house that will take a day or two to arrive when they could send a text in less than a minute.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Plus, the philosophical "use" of it demands its use. I don't really know how to say this in a non confusing way...But the purpose of cell phones is basically "In case I am out of the house and people want to talk to me" or "In case I get in a car crash and need to call for asisstance." Basically, you only carry the thing with you because you are afraid of your unknown future. I don't know if I explained that correctly.

And I will never have a chip implanted in me for recreational purposes. For medical purposes...maybe? I'm not sure. But thats kind of what I am asking in the thread. I feel like our phones have become our constant companion, and many people WOULD have them implanted in their head if they could. What I am saying is that I feel we are getting a bit too close to this type "reliance" on technology, and I was wondering what other people thought about it. Would YOU get a phone implant?

You make a lot of valid points although I think you may be exaggerating about people's reaction to finding out you don't own a phone. From a purely social standpoint I see what you're getting at, but I disagree when you pull business into the equation. If owning a cellphone is more efficient or convenient for your employer, I think they have every right to require it.

As for the chip, I think I'd get it if it was something I could turn off whenever I wanted, although I'm not sure I like the idea of being that connected at all time. I'd wait until was available for a few years first for sure before I would buy it though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I bet if phone usage was cheaper, a lot cheaper, g00d wouldn't be complaining. As would I. <3:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Where do you get this idea that not using your phone makes you a social misfit? I have a phone, but rarely use it and all my friends and work colleagues know that if they want to reach me they are better off ringing my house. Noone has ever called me a misfit because I leave my phone at home when I go to school, that's just ridiculous.

I often use the analogy that cellphones are like one of those tamagotchis.

You have to carry it around everywhere and they constantly beep at you because they want attention (someone texted/called), or because they want food (charging). In that sense they do own you - they beep, you attend, they want feeding, you charge them. If you don't then that's your (social) life over.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

No one is "expecting" you to have a phone. You'd be choosing yourself not to "conform" to having a cell phone and making it harder for your friends to contact you. It's not their fault that they don't want to mail a letter to your house that will take a day or two to arrive when they could send a text in less than a minute.

What you said is what I am talking about. People want it to be as easy as possible to contact you.

So if you want to be contacted, your friends choose the method, not you basically.

So if I dont have a cell, a friend will think of me and say "Why is he making it harder for me to call him?"

Basically, your personal choice of abstaining from cell use affects other people, because they think the only way to contact people is now the fastest way possible. As Saru said earlier, if his friend threw away his cell phone, he would assume that his friend didn't want to be contacted.

Do you understand? People have this attitude that now, we should really only be expected to use the fastest, easiest modes of communication. If I don't have a phone, people think that is a comment on whether or not I want to be contacted. Maybe I still want to be contacted, but I just dont feel like carrying my "tamogotchi" as dusqi compared it to.

If I dont use the elevator, people dont say "oh...well he doesnt want to go upstairs!" But if I dont have a cell, people think it is a comment on the degree to which I want to be contacted. We understand that elevators are not the only way to go upstairs, but many people are losing sight of the fact that cells, facebook, and email are not the only ways to keep in touch.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

What you said is what I am talking about. People want it to be as easy as possible to contact you.

So if you want to be contacted, your friends choose the method, not you basically.

So if I dont have a cell, a friend will think of me and say "Why is he making it harder for me to call him?"

Basically, your personal choice of abstaining from cell use affects other people, because they think the only way to contact people is now the fastest way possible. As Saru said earlier, if his friend threw away his cell phone, he would assume that his friend didn't want to be contacted.

Do you understand? People have this attitude that now, we should really only be expected to use the fastest, easiest modes of communication. If I don't have a phone, people think that is a comment on whether or not I want to be contacted. Maybe I still want to be contacted, but I just dont feel like carrying my "tamogotchi" as dusqi compared it to.

If I dont use the elevator, people dont say "oh...well he doesnt want to go upstairs!" But if I dont have a cell, people think it is a comment on the degree to which I want to be contacted. We understand that elevators are not the only way to go upstairs, but many people are losing sight of the fact that cells, facebook, and email are not the only ways to keep in touch.

Did you even read my post?

Where do you get this idea that not using your phone makes you a social misfit? I have a phone, but rarely use it and all my friends and work colleagues know that if they want to reach me they are better off ringing my house. Noone has ever called me a misfit because I leave my phone at home when I go to school, that's just ridiculous.

ago, people managed to live their lives with a hut made out of sticks. Do you really think that you have an objectively "better" life than they did? Do you think they didnt enjoy their life?

Do you really enjoy having more and more technology that you DEPEND on? I like to live my life not being ruled by my machines. My machines work for me, I don't keep it with me like a baby I am caring for.

You ever worked manual labor? Did anything the hard way? I'm strongly doubting no by your posting so far. Ever milked a cow? Planted a garden? These things can be done by machine, they can be done manually. A cell phone is a convenience.

Lol this is ridiculous. I am the one questioning the need for technology, and you make an immature unreasonable assumption like this. What is your reasoning behind this? I seriously don't even understand. A guy says that we DONT need this crazy technology, but you seem to think that guy doesn't enjoy doing things with a hands on approach. I have done plenty of manual labor, thank you very much. And it is probably the reason that I hold the views that I do. A hard life breeds character. A life of laziness builds obesity and spoiled brats.

Enough is enough.

I'm asking this question because you have the audacity to question if we need a cell phone in our daily lives. We decidable it's a convenience so we make the choice, and hey today a report came out saying it's NOT linked to brain cancer. so yay! If you're going to have the insane approach to actually pick a device which cannot be easily replicated in the absence out of the device. If you're going to pick a device for the downfall of society that makes people lazy, pick the Calculator or the engine. The PC or a device that is actually replacing a manual task.

I want to be connected to my friends wherever I go and that cannot be done without the aid of technology.

As for manual labor, i'm not talking about doing it in the modern era, again as you are so fond of whining , you MISSED THE POINT.

A cell phone is a device that makes life more efficient, and enjoyable for those of us who are able to use one and get the joy from it, mentally and physically.

A Jackhammer, electronic/Battery or gas powered Saw/Drill or other piece of hardware is a device that makes life efficient either by providing a quicker way to do things better. a Cell phone does the same thing.

A hard life breeds character? It also seemingly breeds contempt and hatred towards the people who have the more lavish lifestyle. it also continue to divides the classes with misunderstanding.

I've made things with my hands and walked 20 miles in a day (Albiet on a hike and not a need for transportation), I've hunted before for sport and could easily do so for survival, I've planted and grown corn, Potatoes strawberries and other food.

I'm also educated and realize I can pay someone to build something for me, or buy it built, I can find a way to go from A to B and go to the store to sneak upon a rumproast or harvest my fruits.

The manual labor class needs the desk working class to make money to build more buildings for manual labor anyway.

Your "Friends" that judge you based on a cell are either not real good friends or you come from a culture i've yet to encounter.

~Das

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'm asking this question because you have the audacity to question if we need a cell phone in our daily lives. We decidable it's a convenience so we make the choice, and hey today a report came out saying it's NOT linked to brain cancer. so yay! If you're going to have the insane approach to actually pick a device which cannot be easily replicated in the absence out of the device. If you're going to pick a device for the downfall of society that makes people lazy, pick the Calculator or the engine. The PC or a device that is actually replacing a manual task.

I want to be connected to my friends wherever I go and that cannot be done without the aid of technology.

And you miss the point again. I am not questioning the need of the technology. I am questioning the ethics of the technology.

I know what an invention is. I know what a tool is. I know why tools are invented and used.

I am questioning the ethics behind creating a device that is, more or less, designed around the principle that you will always be carrying it.

What is something that people like about cells? The fact that you can reach people at unplanned times. But, in order to reach them at an unplanned time, that person must be carrying his or her cell at all/most times. If the person obtains a cell so that he can be contacted at random times, but only carries his cell in short periods of time every now and then, then he isn't getting the use out of the device. There would be a high probability that the times he chooses to leave his phone at home will be the very times that people need to contact him.

So what does a person do? Well, in order to achieve the goals of the device, he must maximize his carrying time of the device.

What I am questioning is not if it is useful to be able to contact anyone anywhere in the world. If it wasnt USEFUL then it would not have been invented.

What I am questioning is how comfortable you feel with the idea of technology that, by design, begs the user to have it by their side for most of the day. How united should humans be with technology? For instance, if we could replace our organs with flawless machines, would you see any ethical dilemma in this?

Hopefully you understand the idea of this thread. You say that I am missing YOUR points, but that is because the things you are talking about are irrelevant to what I intended to talk about. You are right. It makes stuff easy, and easy stuff sure is fun. But to me, it seems wrong for people to constantly carry around a machine just to fit in with what most people are doing. Do you think there is any morality in the issue?

And as an added kicker, I googled and found this: http://www.menshealth.com/men/health/other-diseases-ailments/cellphone-risks-and-radiation/article/2217d519584e7210vgnvcm10000030281eac

I'm not saying that cell phones are dangerous, but one thing is for certain. We aren't yet sure if they are dangerous or not. That uncertainty is more than enough to make me weary about my little radiation buddy. It took 40 years for brain tumors to occur after Hiroshima. How can we fully understand the side effects of cell phones when they haven't even been around for that long? Cigarettes were also called "safe" for much longer than 30 years after their invention.

And I'd also like to ask you why you feel the need to get so animated about this...I guess my inital post had some strong language in it, but that was my attempt at creative writing. In my responses to you, I have intended to be respectful. Yet, some of the things I get from you seem to be personal attacks. If I offended you in my replies to you, I apologize for that and it was not my intent, and I hope you can reply to me without getting so worked up.

=============

@SirHartlar

And did you even read Saru's post? I asked him what he would think of a friend who stopped using his cell:

That he doesn't want to be contacted. Lol. If it was for money problems I'd completely understand, but to stop just to stop? A tad weird...

Hartlar, I didn't make this thread because I thought I was the only person in the world who uses their cell phone responsibly. I made this thread as a discussion of the growing population of cell users who are addicted and depend on their phone.

When I say things like "people expect you to..." I dont mean that every single person in every country shows this behavior. I mean "most people expect you to" or "many people expect you to" or "a growing number of people expect you to."

Also, I see you live in England. I live in the USA. We Americans tend to go overboard with this type of stuff with obesity, laziness, etc. So I wouldn't doubt that the mobile culture over here is a little different than your mobile culture.

Myweponsgood.gif

You're arguing against the extremism of cell phones. At people who are literally glued to their phones. We get that, I don't like them neither. But you SHOULDN'T confuse ANY type of phone use as an addiction.

You're being terribly closed minded and off-track because you can't tell the difference.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

@SirHartlar

And did you even read Saru's post? I asked him what he would think of a friend who stopped using his cell:

That he doesn't want to be contacted. Lol. If it was for money problems I'd completely understand, but to stop just to stop? A tad weird...

Hartlar, I didn't make this thread because I thought I was the only person in the world who uses their cell phone responsibly. I made this thread as a discussion of the growing population of cell users who are addicted and depend on their phone.

When I say things like "people expect you to..." I dont mean that every single person in every country shows this behavior. I mean "most people expect you to" or "many people expect you to" or "a growing number of people expect you to."

Also, I see you live in England. I live in the USA. We Americans tend to go overboard with this type of stuff with obesity, laziness, etc. So I wouldn't doubt that the mobile culture over here is a little different than your mobile culture.

I think the fact I live in a semi-rural area might also have something to do with it, it could explain why I've never seen it as a problem first hand I guess.

You're arguing against the extremism of cell phones. At people who are literally glued to their phones. We get that, I don't like them neither. But you SHOULDN'T confuse ANY type of phone use as an addiction.

You're being terribly closed minded and off-track because you can't tell the difference.

And so where do YOU draw the line with technology becoming one with the human being? Because all I am saying is that the way we are beginning to use cells is pushing my envelope of comfortability with the ethics of technology use. I'm not saying they have to go, or that we could plausibly even take away everyones cells.

But at some time in your life, an invention will come along that pushes your limit of comfort with ethics and technology.

Or maybe not. Maybe you support humans replacing their bodies with machinery someday. But I don't, and I also don't really feel comfortable with the idea of people carrying these cell phones around like it is their life support machine. Thats what this thread is about, my limit.

Myweponsgood.gif

But at some time in your life, an invention will come along that pushes your limit of comfort with ethics and technology.

Only if the government forces me to use it at gunpoint.

I'm sure you're aware that there are people who don't even use *20th* century technology, much less 21st.

Everyone has choices.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Only if the government forces me to use it at gunpoint.

I'm sure you're aware that there are people who don't even use *20th* century technology, much less 21st.

Everyone has choices.

Yes, and I have the choice to stop breathing right now. I also have the choice to go run outside naked.

I don't know how to properly phrase what I am talking about. Obviously, "forced" and "pressured" are not really an accurate way to describe the feeling I am talking about. It makes it sound like I am saying that a person literally physically cannot abstain from his cell phone.

Also, I am comfortable with cell phone use on an individual level. I DO feel that I make responsible use of all my technology, and I am not living my life unhappily. The concern I express is concern for the public, not my own well being.

I was raised in a household with very strong asian and native american heritage, so perhaps my point of view is skewed by the fact that I care about the people in my surroundings as much as I care about myself. I was taught to see the people in my community as an extension of my own well being. A lot of western philosophy tends to be centered more around individualism, which might be why you guys have a hard time understanding my point of view.

Myweponsgood.gif

I am questioning the ethics of the technology.

I know what an invention is. I know what a tool is. I know why tools are invented and used.

A tool is technology in it's most simplistic form .We improve our technology to make our lives easier You question the ethics of technology but dismiss everything asides a cell phone.

I am questioning the ethics behind creating a device that is, more or less, designed around the principle that you will always be carrying it.

Whats unethical about it? if you don't carry it around - it's no different than having a landline. For over a decade before Cells, people carried pagers. Emergency Personal and Business people used them among citizens. The Social norms of the western cultures have been focusing on INSTANT gratification for a very long time. It's a social norm that is widely accepted and thus completely ethical.

If it wasnt USEFUL then it would not have been invented.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3264420.ece

Stupid broadly covering statement thats inane and illogical considering your dismissal rate on everything everyone says.

What I am questioning is how comfortable you feel with the idea of technology that, by design, begs the user to have it by their side for most of the day. How united should humans be with technology? For instance, if we could replace our organs with flawless machines, would you see any ethical dilemma in this?

What you're doing is trying to salvage the topic in a different manner after getting completely shut down in the process. You're arguments are now selectively pulling in crap people mentioned pages ago, your inability to argue that carrying the phone is unethical is boring me at this point because you are now bringing in unknown future devices and the ethics of them and dismissing logical comparisons of current inventions.

Do you think there is any morality in the issue?

Nope, I think it's a stretch to say you are forced to carry a device, it's a human choice. obviously - your social experiences in life make you feel that way , i'm sorry you do, my social experiences make me feel carrying one is a choice thats up to you, and i've never had an issue with people mentioning my carrying my phone on me - and even if i carry my phone, I don't always answer. Voicemail is lovely.

Nice article from a month ago or two. I present to you current news from the last 48 hours from the FDA , and not from a health magazine thats primary focus is body building.

http://wireupdate.com/wires/4901/fda-no-evidence-to-link-cell-phone-use-to-risk-of-brain-tumors/

We aren't yet sure if they are dangerous or not.

The above link, which i referenced in my last post, Disproves that.

That uncertainty is more than enough to make me weary about my little radiation buddy

Should stay on top of the news more.

. It took 40 years for brain tumors to occur after Hiroshima. How can we fully understand the side effects of cell phones when they haven't even been around for that long?

MTA had a mobile phone network with similar phone technology to todays (as far as the circuitry goes, it does the same thing for the most part) in 1956. Look it up.

And I'd also like to ask you why you feel the need to get so animated about this...

You asked yourself that yet? I've never seen someone dismiss so many valid points in an attempt to protect their own argument.

Sorry if you think i'm being harsh, I call it as I see it.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I dont find it as a thing I need in my life to live as others do, but I do feel it is important.

I along with a lot of people want things now. It's just the world we are in rather you choose to accept or not is your problem. But when I want to talk to someone I want to talk now. If I can walk to their house I will. If not I will use my phone, not because I want to feel accepted by society, it's because I want to get [cabbage] done. And if that means I have to carry around a "cube" as you call it, then so be it.

Its your choice if you want to use it or not. If you dont have one and people think you are weird... I have 2 words you can say to them.

"[bleep] you."

They will understand that you don't like a cell phone and quickly get over the matter.

Just my thoughts.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Guest Mrmegakirby

I am proud to be able to say I don't know where my phone is right now, or that it's even charged.

I might as well be using one of those ancient Nokia 3315's. I only text with it, maybe once a week and only check it once a day for calls/messages.

Might use it more if I had something better.

Popoto.~<3

I might as well be using one of those ancient Nokia 3315's. I only text with it, maybe once a week and only check it once a day for calls/messages.

Might use it more if I had something better.

Same here actually. I have a K800i, and most of it goes to waste.

I have a phone and yes, I carry it everywhere. But unless I'm having a conversation with someone, I'm not on it all the time doing things like updating Facebook or whatever it is people do. I carry a phone because these days people expect to be able to reach you instantly and you can reach others instantly. So I could get a phone call from a parent about something urgent or a change in plans, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning a cell phone and having it on you at all times :wall:

And if you hate phones so much, surely you must hate computers equally? They're not all that different... And yet here you are using one.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I take it with me pretty much everywhere incase I need it, cos it's my primary mode of contact for work, home friends etc cos my flat doesn't have a home phone line. I get like 500 free texts a month and I use around half to all of them, so I'm not a huge texter. And I only call home (as it's free).

I don't feel like I'm a slave it my phone, but it's really annoying not having it (WHO COULD BE TEXTING/CALLING ME ATM!?!?!)

rosssigfinal.jpg

I never use my mobile, and everyone I associate with knows that. I spend most of my free time on the computer, so I do my phone stuff there. Plus, I deleted my internet browser off my phone for space, knowing I'll never need it. I never have credit and it's never charged, so yeah. I regret spending $130 on it.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod