Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is RuneScape's technology obsolete?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

headshot007111
[ Display Name History ]

headshot007111

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 320 posts
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but; @ the original topic question, yes. The reason RS was originally made in Java is because it can "run anywhere". For a long time, many RS players have played from crappy old PCs, or with dial-up internet. Java allowed the game to be playable under those conditions.

But the reason that it's obsolete these days, is that more and more people are getting new computers (which at this point are overkill for RS max setting requirements) and dialup is pretty much a thing of the past.

If anything needs to be done, it should be an "optional" upgrade. The current web based client would still work, but the same game/servers/characters will be accessible through the downloaded version of RS.
Posted Image

~Guide to Solo'ing the KBD~

99 Cooking | 99 Firemaking | 99 Attack | 99 defense | 99 Hitpoints

Jard_Y_Dooku
[ Display Name History ]

Jard_Y_Dooku

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Jard Y Dooku

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but; @ the original topic question, yes. The reason RS was originally made in Java is because it can "run anywhere". For a long time, many RS players have played from crappy old PCs, or with dial-up internet. Java allowed the game to be playable under those conditions.

But the reason that it's obsolete these days, is that more and more people are getting new computers (which at this point are overkill for RS max setting requirements) and dialup is pretty much a thing of the past.

If anything needs to be done, it should be an "optional" upgrade. The current web based client would still work, but the same game/servers/characters will be accessible through the downloaded version of RS.

Please stop citing this. Stop, stop, stop. Java is not any better than any other language for that. No language in the world is going to change the speed of your Internet connection. It's all about how much you're sending. Java doesn't inherently send less data than other languages.

I would be fine with an optional downloadable C++ client. As long as I don't have to tolerate the slowness of Java.

EDIT: Even better pic.

Posted Image
  • Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Pirate_Felix
[ Display Name History ]

Pirate_Felix

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,323 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
If i play runescape i lagg like hell.
I can run Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, Oblivion and Starcraft at the same time and not lagg.
Posted Image

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd

I can run Guild Wars, Warcraft 3, Oblivion and Starcraft at the same time and not lagg.

But kids in Africa --who use the money we donate for food to buy laptops and wifi-- can't afford GW,SC, or Oblivion. <<SARCASM

Runescape is built for accessibility not performance. It shows in the way it performs. Why do you think people in India can play? Stellar Dawn will be the same way.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

glasscube
[ Display Name History ]

glasscube

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,484 posts

But kids in Africa --who use the money we donate for food to buy laptops and wifi-- can't afford GW,SC, or Oblivion.

Runescape is built for accessibility not performance. It shows in the way it performs. Why do you think people in India can play? Stellar Dawn will be the same way.

Runescape is so bloated now I wouldn't be surprised if a computer that can play RS can play GW. Oblivion may be pushing it but GW has always been very good on catering to people with multiple different systems.

Starcraft? Seriously? That game can be run on any computer.

Posted Image
Help drive change Canada

Jard_Y_Dooku
[ Display Name History ]

Jard_Y_Dooku

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

But kids in Africa --who use the money we donate for food to buy laptops and wifi-- can't afford GW,SC, or Oblivion.

Umm... I think kids in Africa have more to worry about than playing computer games...

You could just as easily build a more accessible game in C++. And I'll bet there are people in India with better computers than me. :P

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr
About using C++ on more than one platform, I think it really depends on what code you use for the library things. If you use code that works only on Windows for windows computers, then you're going to have a different library that is just for windows. Same goes with other platforms. If you want a C++ application to be portable to any platforms, you have to use code that is standard to all the platforms you plan on making it play on.

And rs isn't that slow. My laptop isn't that strong and I don't have any lag while playing HD resizable with most settings on high. Plus when I click I don't have a delay at all, it really depends on what you have on your computer and also your internet connection. Ok Java is slower than C++, but with processing power in today's computers, it compensates and the Java program runs almost as fast as the C++ one despite being on a VM. And I'm sure that those Java programmers also learned how to code in C++ when they were studying, so they would know the concept of managing the memory themselves.

jessy87
[ Display Name History ]

jessy87

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts
you sir, have always made posts that some seemed to consider "extreme" or something of that manner. I find this post to be a refreshing look on things, yet somewhat agree with you. It maybe obsolete, but its not so far gone that i feel that is the appropriate term for it.

Jard_Y_Dooku
[ Display Name History ]

Jard_Y_Dooku

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

About using C++ on more than one platform, I think it really depends on what code you use for the library things. If you use code that works only on Windows for windows computers, then you're going to have a different library that is just for windows. Same goes with other platforms. If you want a C++ application to be portable to any platforms, you have to use code that is standard to all the platforms you plan on making it play on.

And rs isn't that slow. My laptop isn't that strong and I don't have any lag while playing HD resizable with most settings on high. Plus when I click I don't have a delay at all, it really depends on what you have on your computer and also your internet connection. Ok Java is slower than C++, but with processing power in today's computers, it compensates and the Java program runs almost as fast as the C++ one despite being on a VM. And I'm sure that those Java programmers also learned how to code in C++ when they were studying, so they would know the concept of managing the memory themselves.

First paragraph: you're the most accurate person to post as yet. It does depend on what code you use for the "library things", which is a good point. However, think about this: in Java, the default libraries are extensive, and support a good amount of whatever you could want to do in a program. C++ standard libraries are very basic and don't have any support for things like GUI and networking. Some see this as a disadvantage because it "inherently" makes programs less cross-platform. However, there are a great amount of toolkits available for cross-platform C++ programming, such as Qt and wxWidgets. Qt is simply amazing, it's one of the best software development frameworks I've ever seen. 99.9% of all their classes (just like Java) are fully cross-platform. So if you write a Windows app with the Qt library, you've automatically written a Mac OS X and Linux/X11 app.

Now, you don't use different libraries for each platform, you don't write 3 separate programs. What you do is use a toolkit like Qt (or make your own, but that's generally not a good idea), which itself hooks into the native libraries of each platform and provides you with an interface that is cross-platform. Behind the scenes, when you want to create a window, for example, it'll call the Win32 API if you're using Windows, it'll call Cocoa or Carbon on Mac OS X, and it'll call X11 on Linux/UNIX. All this is transparent to you. However, there comes a time when you need to do things beyond what any particular toolkit supports and this applies to any language, Java OR C++. For example, I am writing an application now that requires advanced interaction with the window manager of the underlying platform. I need to be able to get a tree of windows and their properties running in the current session - including their handle (ID#), name, bounds (location on screen), etc. So what I do is create a class to wrap this functionality. Inside my class I have switches inside each method, so for my "get window text" function it will run a different block of code depending on what platform it's running on, and throughout my programs I call that abstract function I made (so, like, WindowManager::getWindowName) INSTEAD of using the underlying platform's methods.

Second paragraph: at my university, nearly everything is Java. The kids in my courses won't be learning C++ until our fourth semester, or even not at all. Sad. What you introduce people to first is what they become most familiar with (most of the time). I myself started with PHP as my first programming language, but feel far more comfortable programming in C++ and C# because I took it upon myself to learn it all. Unfortunately university forces Java upon me, which I really don't care for...

you sir, have always made posts that some seemed to consider "extreme" or something of that manner. I find this post to be a refreshing look on things, yet somewhat agree with you. It maybe obsolete, but its not so far gone that i feel that is the appropriate term for it.

It's my specialty. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users