The Metal Thread

Asmodeous4

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a while since I posted, and a lot has happened in the world of heavy metal.

Now my favourite albums recently have been very varied.

Woods of Ypres - Woods V: Grey Skies and Electric Light. I absolutely love the album, but theres such a tragic story behind it.

http://youtu.be/nQMvL-ZoZXU

World Under Blood - Tatical. Insane speed Melo-Death. Pretty amazing and technical, great CKY vibe to it, probably due to Deron Miller being the frontman.

http://youtu.be/C-0n5JQvbHc

Tesseract - One. Yes, such awesome rhythms and incredible music really. Shame that Dan Tompkins left, but that just lead to him singing for Skyharbor. Who also I enjoy listening to.

http://youtu.be/MTwXgfJklfg

Theres so much more but got things to do.

Who likes Steel Panther?

Peace -x-

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

If you enjoy Tesseract you should check out Periphery and Chimpspanner, they'd be right up your street.

Anyone do any festivals or see anyone recently? I went to Hellfest last month and saw the likes of Yob, Big Business, Nasum, Refused, Machine Head, Shining (swe), Amenra, Discharge, Victims and many more. Yesterday I saw a small but upcoming stoner metal/70's prog rock band called Turbowolf who are fantastic. Imagine Orange Goblin meets Graveyard and you've got a pretty good idea of what they're like.

Also, any UK cats in here should check out and get themselves to Damnation Festival in November, will be nuts!

I_Am_Moses_2.png

Yeah, I've got both of Peripherys albums, not the Icarus lives EP though, and 2 of Chimpspanners albums. I got Skyharbors album this weekend and its very good. I also purchased Uneven Structures album Februus as well. I think it's the better of the two albums I got.

Recently I've also got really into tech-death, well more so than usual. I got the latest Nile release, At The Gates of Sethu, but missed the previous one and am intending to get it soon. Gorod put out one of the best albums I've heard this year with The Perfect Absolution. I've also been looking forward to get Allegaeons latest, but accidentally ordered there first CD, although thats ok, because that album is incredible too.

Last month I went to Download festival. It was pretty cool. I got to see Furyon do an acoustic set, and it was wicked. Also, got to see Jesse Leach back with Killswitch, which was awesome. Periphery also kicked ass, but Black Sabbath were just so Awesome, even better than 2005.

I really want to go to Bloodstock this year, but I'm not sure if anyone I know wants to go at all.

Has anyone heard any Sigh? Crazy Japanese band. Very good album out this year, In Somniphobia.

Did anyone hear Slash's latest album? I think it was pretty cool, and Myles Kennedy gives the vocals a beasting.

Does anyone check out any Podcasts or read any decent blogs? I listen to the metal cast, which is interesting, but I don't know of any others. I also read things like Heavy Blog is Heavy and Angry Metal Guy. Peripherys latest album caused quite a stir on AMG.

Peace -x-

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

I've seen Sigh twice, at Damnation 2008 and at Hellfest 2009. The lass is just ridiculous good looking and the nutcase on vocals is brilliant, although I didn't quite get the point he was making when he burnt a bible on stage but ah well, each to their own.

Bloodstock is a great little festival, they've got a fantastic line up this year.

If you enjoyed Nile, you should check out Necrophagist's Epitaph, The Faceless' Planetary Duality, Obscura's Omnivium and to a lesser extent Bloodbath's Nightmare Made Flesh.

I_Am_Moses_2.png

Yeah she is...

I've got Epitaph and Planetary Duality, Omnivium is on my list of albums to get too.

Yeah, I think the Bloodstock line up for this year is incredible. There are bands on the support stages that I wanna see, and I really hope there aren't any timing conflicts.

Not sure if this is metal, mainly because its a mad mix of so many different things:

I've been impressed recently with the strength of the Basick Records line up, and the bands they've signed, and also Sumerian Records.

I'm awaiting the debut album from The Haarp Machine, based on the one video I've watched, and the other tracks that were available to listen to, I've got something very decent to look forward too, although there hasn't been any substantial updates about the band really.

Is it just me or was Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame really over hyped and reviewed too positively? Maybe I've not listened to it enough times, but nothing really stands out to me as incredible and worthy of a place on a top 10 or so list of the year...

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

I'm going to explode everywhere when that record hits. I hate how expensive BTBAM vinyl is/can be :(

@Topham I haven't given the new Alcest record enough spins to truly give my view on it but Alcest were brilliant at Hellfest, the whole set was just sensational.

I_Am_Moses_2.png

Sad to see Jon Lord go (deep purple):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

I am excited about the upcoming new album of Withcraft. Old song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8S41zSGWU

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

I'm looking forward to them at Bloodstock, and I have a feeling I'm missing some depth from the album, so am due to listen to it again soon.

I'm not sure if I want to hear the new Agonist album or not, theres been some strange mixed reviews of it, but I loved their first 2, so I should enjoy the latest.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png