The Metal Thread

Asmodeous4

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been able to get into Dream Theater, particularly because John Petrucci just sounds like he's playing scales he found on all-guitar-scales.com (probably not a real website) REALLY REALLY fast and Mike Portnoy is an extremely boring drummer (which is amazing, 'cause it's hard to make odd time signatures sound boring). Now that Mangini has replaced Portnoy, I'm a little more hopeful. The drumming will be the focal point of the band from now on.

They're all amazing musicians, technically, but holy [cabbage] do they write boring music. I'll take Animals As Leaders or Cynic over them any day.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfdCmfGn-f4

Soviet era progressive thrash band from Russia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDttnRV62A

Melodic black. Anyone know something similar? Keyboards are forbidden. I've had Dissection and Thulcandra recommended to me, sometimes a bit too reminiscent of power metal though.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Been a long time since I even listened to metal but rather liked that 2nd song. I can recommend leviathan (well there's like 10 bands with the same name, you want the swedish band with 1 album), hate forest and sacramentum. I'll assume you've heard of immortal etc already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E1S0QMZrF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP_ZJS5lYQw

2dvjurb.png

Forgot to mention I prefer modern production to the earlier sounds, I can't hear what's happening otherwise.

their albums have been getting progressively worse

How's that for some irony :-w

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

their albums have been getting progressively worse

How's that for some irony :-w

Ahahahahaha.

That's great.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

• 3 weeks later...

Just need Cynic, Opeth, and Meshuggah to release new albums and I'll be a very happy man for a long time.

Oh, and Animals As Leaders, too, but it seems too soon for that.

So true. Dunno about AAL, but the rest are working on new stuff, actually Opeth is done already but it will take a couple months before it's out. Can't wait :thumbup:

A_Kekek.png

Nice to see that people over here know their metal. I'm looking for a recommendation of some thrash with vocals like Sean Killian's on Vio-Lence's Eternal Nightmare; I found the ones on Oppressing The Masses lacklustre in comparison. I know of Immaculate's Atheist Crusade album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z4YVXiV1Y0

A mix of doom, black, sludge, and death metal. Since you were looking for something really harsh in the electronic thread, DefinitveArticle, you might find this to be a good substitute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z4YVXiV1Y0A mix of doom, black, sludge, and death metal. Since you were looking for something really harsh in the electronic thread, DefinitveArticle, you might find this to be a good substitute.

I already know and love them; indeed, I'm looking forward to seeing them at Damnation Festival. Thanks anyway, shows it was a good rec when someone already loves a band.

I downloaded the album a while ago, but never got around to listening to the whole thing because I figured it would just be too brutal for me. It's actually pretty palatable, but I wish the cymbals didn't suffer so much from the side-chain effect on the kick. It's inevitable to a degree but it could probably have been lessened. Oh well, it's their first full length album. Do you visit any music discussion forums or blogs?

I follow some download blogs and occasionally participate in discussions on /mu/, but most of the time they're not worthwhile, so I'm looking for something new.

I follow some download blogs and occasionally participate in discussions on /mu/, but most of the time they're not worthwhile, so I'm looking for something new.

Well, I strongly recommend the metal archives forums, and also last.fm. They're more active than the others.

Okay, thanks. I'll look into last.fm, because I'm not actually that big a metalhead.

So I heard the new Lock Up album today, and all I can say... holy [cabbage]. Not album of the year (especially not in a year when AUTOPSY, AUTOPSY, AUTOPSY have released an early candidate for album of the decade), but better than Pleasures Pave Sewers and about on a par with Hate Breeds Suffering. It's called Necropolis Transparent if anyone's interested.

So I heard the new Lock Up album today, and all I can say... holy [cabbage]. Not album of the year (especially not in a year when AUTOPSY, AUTOPSY, AUTOPSY have released an early candidate for album of the decade), but better than Pleasures Pave Sewers and about on a par with Hate Breeds Suffering. It's called Necropolis Transparent if anyone's interested.

New Exhumed (All guts, no glory) is good too, dunno if you heard that one already.

tattoov2.png

Stormfolk | TRWF Clanfriend

The riffs are too short to feel amazing, even though I usually like heavy riffs with lots of chromaticism (using notes that don't belong) and rhythmic oddities, like the one here at 2:19:

Not exactly metal, but you get the picture. It's why I have a hard time listening to thrash and DM. Also, totally chromatic riffs lack resolution unless they use the whole chromatic scale, like the one on Master of Puppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfdCmfGn-f4

Don't like the first and third riff on here either.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever checked out Sputnik Music? I find a lot of really good stuff from a variety of genres on there; its a user review site.

The new Fleshgod Apocalypse single sounds pretty awesome I think.