The Metal Thread

Asmodeous4

"They kind of invented thrash".

They were half of the reason metal got good.

Bloodline may not be their best song ever, but they didn't start sucking post-Raining Blood, like some people pretend: they just were less popular.

EDIT: And LOG, Ektomorpf, Kataklysm, Throwdown, and Napalm Death all have music videos. And that's just right off the top of my head.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay it's not a 100% rule, but you get my point (which was that bands with vids usually suck, not that they usually arent metal). And I disagree, slayer got less popular because they started sucking.

Besides, otep (to get back to the original point) isn't on the metal archives, and that's basically is the only decent standard around to define what is and what isnt metal.

2dvjurb.png

You rely on a website to tell you what genre bands are in?!

And when the number of exceptions to a rule of thumb outnumber the occurrences of the rule being correct, it should be abolished.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Holy bleep so much hating on trash here

Anthrax Megadeth Metallica Slayer will ALWAYS be the big 4 of Trash Metal, if you like it or not.

And all these 4 bands are metal, like it or not.

And when the number of exceptions to a rule of thumb outnumber the occurrences of the rule being correct, it should be abolished.

Wait do you seriously want me to post vids of sucky metal bands?

I have no idea how any real headbanger/metalhead could doubt that.

Claiming someone not a real metalhead when they think differently than you is a bit irrational, right? Also if I look at most 'real' metalheads I'm not sure if I want to be one, most seem to attach more value to what band they listen to than to the actual music. You wouldn't listen to a sucky band making a sucky album, but when a well known band that has made some good albums before makes a bad album you'll listen to it no problem?

You rely on a website to tell you what genre bands are in?!

So I take it you're a musical expert who is more qualified to decide whether or not a band is metal than a site founded especially for that?

2dvjurb.png

I'm saying that when there is a massive number of exception to a "rule of thumb" it's not a very useful rule.

Being a metalhead and saying that Slayer isn't real metal is like being a communist because you hate the proletariat.

I'm not saying that my opinion of what genre a band is in is necessarily correct, but please provide evidence for where the conclusion is incorrect, instead of stating that a website does not include a band.

Slayer isn't real metal

Nah it's just that most of their albums are terrible in my opinion, thrash isn't my genre at all though so that might influence it a bit.

That last question forced me to watch the whole vid and I must say I'm kinda disgusted by the whole pseudo-political attitude they display. I really haven't got the slightest clue about why bands are considered metal or not, but trying to be really loud and angry isn't one of the requirements.

2dvjurb.png

Slayer isn't real metal

Nah it's just that most of their albums are terrible in my opinion, thrash isn't my genre at all though so that might influence it a bit.

That last question forced me to watch the whole vid and I must say I'm kinda disgusted by the whole pseudo-political attitude they display. I really haven't got the slightest clue about why bands are considered metal or not, but trying to be really loud and angry isn't one of the requirements.

Actually, I would say that is one of the defining principles of metal.

Actually, I would say that is one of the defining principles of metal.

Until you get into power metal which makes a point of being happy sounding and melodic, most of the time. :razz: Metal is weird that way.

Though thinking that the whole thrash thing is just the way it progresses. Those guys aren't so 'heavy' now, but that's because metal's been developing in the ~30 years since then. Compare, say, '80s Slayer to Whitesnake or the Scorpions and see the difference.

[spoiler=music video]Not necessarily related to the sound thing, but the metal music video thing from a page back.

The music video? Yes, they all are.

If your statement was concerning the song, then is it safe to assume you sit in the BFMV/Rise Against/Dragonforce camp?

I don't like any of those bands...

And yes, it was concerning the song. It was terrible. Her voice sounds awful, she doesn't know how to growl/scream.

It was just bad. Like, annoyingly bad. (Could not listen to the entire song).

Other than that good job crapping up a nice thread he had here with the stupid "hurr what is real metal" debate. No one cares, seriously.

Now can we just get back to posting some kick ass metal songs?

I don't know if anyone has posted this before but meh, I'll post it again as it's a damn good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

May as well post this, its been stuck in my head the last few days, and its pretty awesome, in my opinion.

Eluveitie - Thousandfold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8WGig0MLU

Yes, weird instruments!! And they rule live, caught them and was pleasantly surprised and their music grew on me, fantastically fun band.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

I actually haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album that that tracks off, but their album Slania is some of the best folk metal I think I've ever heard.

I cannot get enough of Mutiny Within right now, I'm listening to their album very regularly, so heres the first track, which is also one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWDFGuBD_Y

Found out that Oceano have a new album coming out this week, but i'll have to wait for it till I get home, as I absolutely cannot afford it right now.

Their first album stuck me as complex and a brilliant listen and was similar in style to Gojira, but was not a straight rip off of them, and was a solid release last year.

Also, Deathspell Omega are releasing their 3rd part of their trilogy of albums, which I'm inexcusably excited about, but again I'll need to wait. The band has an air of mystique around them, and don't have their own website, but their albums are pure black metal, with an insane atmosphere on their previous effort Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeturnum, that I found truly terrifying at points, but was an incredible album I'd recommend to any black metal fan.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png