The effects that occur when multiple people chop the same tree

tedbundty

Does a tree (or ivy, concentrated coal/gold deposits, fishing spots, etc...) deplete faster if multiple people are chopping it at once or do they deplete at the same rate they would if only one person were chopping?

In other words, do resource-givers like ivy vines have a set number of vines/logs/ore, a set amount of time before depletion or something completely different (explain what)?

Let's consider both ways - tree being understood to mean any resource-giver except those from which only one resource may be drawn from, like normal trees or iron rocks.

1. Upon spawning a tree is given a somewhat random number of logs (maybe between 2 and 50). Say the number is '20'. This means that if one person chops it he will receive 20 logs from that tree but if 2 people chop it they would each only receive 10 (not counting the fact that one person would most likely receive more because of higher wc level, wc hatchet and/or just better luck). If 10 people chop the tree then everybody would only receive 2 logs each and the tree would thus deplete 10 times faster than if only one person were chopping.

2. Upon spawning a tree is given a somewhat random number of seconds which must be spent chopping that tree before it will be depleted (maybe between 5 and 360). Say the number of seconds is '60' or one minute. This means that no matter how many people are chopping the tree, it will always take one minute before being depleted. If one person chops for 20 seconds and another person joins in then 40 seconds will be left. If 10 people start chopping at the same time they will all get however many logs they can obtain within one minute (again, this number would depend on the players wc level, hatchet and pure luck).

Say which one you think is right and why or why you think both are wrong and what you think is correct. Also say how big of an advantage or disadvantage it is for multiple people to be chopping the same tree and why.

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

With trees as far as I know when somebody gets a log, there is a set % chance the tree will fall, thus the more people are cutting it the faster it will fall as there are more rolls of this chance.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

i read once a theory saying that theres not random numbers of logs or seconds of a tree, but another thing. When you start cutting a tree, you "roll" a number, from say, 0 to 50, so depending on hatchets and other things, some numbers give you logs, some nothing and some give a log and cut the tree down.

I think the poster of that said that it was better if everyone went to the same tree, so when the first tree is cut, you can cut the second, and when that one is cut, you cut the first again. instead of first and second being cut at the same time and waiting without doing nothing.

With trees as far as I know when somebody gets a log, there is a set % chance the tree will fall, thus the more people are cutting it the faster it will fall as there are more rolls of this chance.

concentrated coal+gold run on time however.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I believe that, depending on your stats/equipment , your chance for NOT cutting down the tree is changed. So when several people are cutting down a tree and you hear the sound of it falling that means you got the unlucky role. If you want to know which tree to cut if all the trees seem to have people on them, pick one with people that have higher woodcutting levels and better equipment. It may seem to be contrary to what you'r instincts would tell you- but a tree has no "# of logs" the only thing that makes it come down is someone getting that bad roll (as far as I can tell anyways). Other people cutting the same tree wont "steal" your logs; you cut just as fast on a full tree or an empty one.

iximi.png

For trees this is how it works. It doesn't matter how many people chop the tree, the wood is unlimited in the tree. The real factor is who fells the tree. I have made a yew tree fall in 1 log from bad luck and at other times I have gone on an oak tree with a full inventory and it still didn't fall. So its just a dice roll that every time a person gets a log from a tree, it has a chance to fall. So the more people, the more a chance there is for a tree to fall. If you help kill an evil tree for a while the chance you will fell a tree falls greatly, I have seen about 3 high level cutters with dragon hatchets and myself chopping at the same willow tree and filling up and still going until our magic banking time ran out.

For ores, it is fact and confirmed by tests that respawn rates have a certain time on rocks, and as more people are logged onto the world(server) the rocks have a certain amount of time taken off their respawn rate. So basically I like to mine gem rocks on world 2 or other crowded worlds to get better respawn times.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

I've always found though, that cutting the same tree as people is better. While the tree might fell quicker, you can then move onto another spawned tree. Whereas, if everyone cuts different trees, you tend to have to be waiting around for them to respawn - which eats into your time.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Yea, cutting trees individually wastes EVERYONES time.

Cut the same tree.

But if everyone is cutting 1 tree, and you're cutting another that helps you since you have to walk less.

Making it boils down to the prisoners dilemma

For trees it's pretty obvious to note (You'll easily notice that the tree/ivy will only get removed when you get a log/xp meaning it doesn't work on time, but rather a chance each log). What I do wonder is how it works with fishing spots..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Well i doubt treees get a set time limit and i doubt they get a set log limit.

I think each time a log is chopped you have an 'x'´amount of chance for the tree to be cut down.

I also know that multiple people can get logs on the same moment from the same tree even if that last chopped log would cut the tree down.

You can easely test this by doing it on a regular tree, it only holds one log but even if you have 100 people chopping it, with the correct timing everyone could get a log.

The same goes with ore mining, correct timing may result in multiple persons mining the vein and getting the ore.

Also higher populated worlds make trees, veins, monsters etc... respawn slightly faster.

And some veins are considered soft while others are considered hard, this used to be very important in RSC, in the mining guild you'd had about 18 rocks, 5 of those were soft and they were all near the entrance, everyone would be mining those.

We still have soft and hard veins nowadays but people don't seem to care as much as they used to anymore, yet it's still very handy to know which ones are the soft veins.

Soft veins are mined much much more easely than hard veins.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

Well i doubt treees get a set time limit and i doubt they get a set log limit.

I think each time a log is chopped you have an 'x'´amount of chance for the tree to be cut down.

I also know that multiple people can get logs on the same moment from the same tree even if that last chopped log would cut the tree down.

You can easely test this by doing it on a regular tree, it only holds one log but even if you have 100 people chopping it, with the correct timing everyone could get a log.

The same goes with ore mining, correct timing may result in multiple persons mining the vein and getting the ore.

Also higher populated worlds make trees, veins, monsters etc... respawn slightly faster.

And some veins are considered soft while others are considered hard, this used to be very important in RSC, in the mining guild you'd had about 18 rocks, 5 of those were soft and they were all near the entrance, everyone would be mining those.

We still have soft and hard veins nowadays but people don't seem to care as much as they used to anymore, yet it's still very handy to know which ones are the soft veins.

Soft veins are mined much much more easely than hard veins.

wut where?

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Hmm that sounds like it could be it except that there doesn't seem to be too noticeable an effect when multiple people are chopping. I'd like to get a group of like twenty people to all chop at the same time because according to this it would cause the tree to deplete an average of 20 times faster.

I wander if it works something like this, though. If one person is chopping let's just say the chance each time is 12%. If two people are chopping the change might go down to 8% for each player or maybe a little higher. If 12 people are chopping, then, there might only be a 2 or 3% chance for each player. That would explain why trees with 5 people don't seem to deplete much faster than trees with 1 person.

@SVS - I've never heard about soft and hard veins. Do you have by chance a link to a forum post or website that tells you which are soft and which are hard?

................................[Currently Have - 1300M].................................

............tedsignature.jpg............

My Beginner's Merchanting Guide - My Youtube Channel - My Twitter

Maybe you might find something about it here on tip it.

That''s how i got that information in the first place, that was about 8 years ago.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

Maybe you might find something about it here on tip it.

That''s how i got that information in the first place, that was about 8 years ago.

I am fairly certain that soft and hard veins are an RSC artefact that were discontinued within RSC itself, and thus never appeared in RS2 at any time.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

But if everyone is cutting 1 tree, and you're cutting another that helps you since you have to walk less.

There are 3 trees and 3 people, if they all cut one tree each, they all have to sit around waiting for respawn when they all get cut down at the same time.

If they all cut the same tree, the trees generally respawn fast enough to cut down on waiting time.

O.O

Or it could be neither, and the tree is counted through "force". You need a certain amount of "force" to make a tree fall. Let's say the constant force for willows is 100. If a player applied one unit of force per second spent chopping, then the tree would fall given enough force. However, if two players chopped the same tree, it would take half the time to fall since twice the force is applied. If ten players chopped the tree, it would last just 10 seconds, since ten times the force is applied. This is a simple example. Perhaps the force constant is not constant, or perhaps the force exerted by a player is not at a constant rate (ex. one second you exert 1.24 units of force, while another you exert just .6, or something like that).

As long as the tree is up, a separate forumla based on luck, your wc level, and the level of your axe is used to determine when you get logs.

This explains 2 things. 1) Why more people cutting a tree typically means the tree falls in a shorter time, and 2) Why players who do stuff like cut+alch or cut+fletch seem to get higher wc xp rates. It's because after you get a log, for 2-3 seconds you cannot get another. So those players so something like alch or fletch bolts in that time, so they are not woodcutting. Therefore, they are not exerting force on the tree and thus the tree lasts longer.

It also explains how WC works in Dungeoneering, since better axes make the trees there last longer, thus giving you a greater chance at getting more logs. It's because better axes in Daemonhiem exert less force on the tree. If the axe merely gave you more logs, then you would have to get logs at a faster rate to compensate, which you don't (at least in my experience from ores).

Unless, of course, they made an entirely new system for Dungeoneering, which I doubt.