Fighting controlled efficient at all?

Bruuce

Hey all, very long time user of the site, first time posting, and my question is in regards to using the 'controlled' attack method.

I'm training on bandits with guthan's armour and a god item to make the bandits fight me, I'm sure most of you know of this training method, but my quesiton lies with using the controlled attack method, I personally do in fact use it. But I know that for as long as I've been playing Runescape, it's been frowned upon, is this because most people are impatient and they want to see skills level in order to keep their attention from being diverted, or is it actually a poor way to train your three combat skills and constitution?

I know that there are more efficient ways of levelling, like if I were to focus training on something with a Sara Sword for strength, and an Abyssal Whip for training attack, and since both of these weapons are faster than the spear, training with those weapons will be more efficient, but will it be such an improvement that it's worth sacrificing the ease of training on the bandits? I need no food, super pots only because I want to, I can stay there for 15 hours straight, without having to recharge prayer etc. And at my status of wealth, Guthan's is the only equipment I can afford, so I can't use a Sara Sword to train, and if I want to use a whip, I have to sell my Guthan's or stop training all together to make the money to afford other pieces of equipment.

With these things in consideration, is it efficient for me to level using the controlled attack method, instead of seperating each skill and using a weapon and training method specific to that skill.

Any feedback welcome, thanks guys.

I personally preferred training with controlled. Especially if you can get all your combats even and around the same XP, then they all level up at once, and it's awesome. :) So, I think regardless of how efficient it is, it's cooler. :P

It's not efficient, but if it makes you happy with its AFK-ability, then go for it. I personally prefer Slayer, and will max out Attack and Strength first.

How is it not? You say it isn't but as I said previously, so have hundreds of other players, but why do you say that it isn't?

I personally preferred training with controlled. Especially if you can get all your combats even and around the same XP, then they all level up at once, and it's awesome. :) So, I think regardless of how efficient it is, it's cooler. :P

Haha Yeah it is cool to get all three leveled within a few seconds of eachother.

Until the rapier came out, fighting with a whip on controlled was the best way to gain melee levels, since it meant you were using the best DPS weapon in the game at all times.

Using Guthans for training in general is slow, it's only upside is afk-able

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

training on controlled is slightly faster xp then training on accurate/agressive/defensive. Bandits are terrible xp (~45k p/h at 80 melees irrc) and I would train at green drags (fast money), slayer (slayer xp and charms) or zombie monkeys (fast xp).

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

training on controlled is slightly faster xp then training on accurate/agressive/defensive. Bandits are terrible xp (~45k p/h at 80 melees irrc) and I would train at green drags (fast money), slayer (slayer xp and charms) or zombie monkeys (fast xp).

Lol where are you fighting dragons that is good xp? anywhere I come across greens they are swarmed by people. I cannon them in the wildy for money but I'd never melee them for xp, not since the wildy updates.

And yeah thanks for posting, I'm glad to see some feedback supporting controlled.

Lol where are you fighting dragons that is good xp? anywhere I come across greens they are swarmed by people. I cannon them in the wildy for money but I'd never melee them for xp, not since the wildy updates.

And yeah thanks for posting, I'm glad to see some feedback supporting controlled.

chaos tunnels with 80+ melees you can out hit the bots and get all 3 spawns then kill black drags in between spawns for xp.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Previously if you trained attack with a whip, you would have to use an inferior weapon such as a saradomin sword or dragon scimitar for strength. Then go back to a whip for defence. Some argue that by getting attack and strength before you get defence, the increase in damage output overweights having to use a lower hitting weapon, resulting in an overal faster xp rate. I have never tested this and personally I did most of my training on controlled. Now, with the chaotic rapier, which can train all skills individually (?) the best xp is training strength, then attack, then defence with a rapier.

quit

The assumption controlled is useless and bad xp is an outdated dumb view.

Yes it is true using controlled you get levels slower as the xp per hit is split 3 ways, but that doesn't mean you're getting less xp.

Unless you have a specific att, str or def goal theres no reason to not fight under controlled and gain xp to all 3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Previously if you trained attack with a whip, you would have to use an inferior weapon such as a saradomin sword or dragon scimitar for strength. Then go back to a whip for defence. Some argue that by getting attack and strength before you get defence, the increase in damage output overweights having to use a lower hitting weapon, resulting in an overal faster xp rate. I have never tested this and personally I did most of my training on controlled. Now, with the chaotic rapier, which can train all skills individually (?) the best xp is training strength, then attack, then defence with a rapier.

Yeah I always thought of that myself, to get STR and ATK up so I can get more hits and hit harder when I do land them, resulting in exponential DEF xp. But yeah, never tried it myself either.

And sorry for double post guys, but I posted the thank you and then read a bit more detail on some posts : s

Yeah I always thought of that myself, to get STR and ATK up so I can get more hits and hit harder when I do land them, resulting in exponential DEF xp. But yeah, never tried it myself either.

And sorry for double post guys, but I posted the thank you and then read a bit more detail on some posts : s

There no 1 better way to train first.

Train attack first and you'll hit more often so more xp, but you hit weaker and take more hits.

Train Strength first you'll hit harder gaining more xp but you'll miss more and take more hits

Train defence first you'll get hit less meaning less eatting and missed attacks so you get faster xp but you hit less often and weaker.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There no 1 better way to train first.

Train attack first and you'll hit more often so more xp, but you hit weaker and take more hits.

Train Strength first you'll hit harder gaining more xp but you'll miss more and take more hits

Train defence first you'll get hit less meaning less eatting and missed attacks so you get faster xp but you hit less often and weaker.

I rarely eat on Slayer tasks. When I do, it's only in multicombat areas where I'm using a combat familiar.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Controlled should never be used if you want the fastest possible route. Attack and Strength are your offensive abilities. They determine Exp/h. It is vital to train your Attack and Strength ahead of Defense. While Defense is not useless for training, you shouldn't train on things that are going to hit you every other hit anyways. For example, popular training methods include Soul Wars, Pest Control, Azombies, Ape Atoll Monkeys, Yaks, Rock Crabs, and Experiments. None of which require high Defense. Even if you need to use an inferior weapon set for Strength, it is still vastly better than training on Controlled.

Personally, I got Strength to 99, Attack next, and Defense last. I can tell you from personal experience that Defense took much less time than the other two skills.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?