Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lunar Mages of Daemonhiem Beware: The Fremnnick do not approve of your spells

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@
Basically, there's a pretty annoying and mildly abusable bug that occurs when a Lunar mage exits Daemonhiem. In this post I will explain how it occurs, warn you about it, and discuss why it is important that this is fixed.
Longer Version

The Problem (tl;dr section)

While leaving a dungeon in Daemonhiem, there's a small chance you are switched from Lunar/Ancients to Modern Magic. If you cast Spellbook Swap after leaving Daemonhiem, you also may remain on Modern Magic after you cast your 1 Modern Magic spell.

While leaving a dungeon in Daemonhiem, if you have a standing Vengeance status, it will carry over to the Overworld, granting you the power of Vengeance even though you casted it in the dungeon.

Why this is a problem, and how to avoid this bug

Conclusion
I just wanted to warn you all about this bug I have encountered quite a few times. I also wanted to see if anyone else had encounted the same problem, to make sure Jagex isn't out to get me. Anyway, thanks for your time, and if you want to speculate about the possibilities of abuse, that's fine with me.

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed
Quite a long read for a bug, but I enjoyed it :3

Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
You see, I only notice stuff like that AFTER I finish my rambling >.>

EDIT: Now with 35% less Wall-of-Text!

tonguetamer3
[ Display Name History ]

tonguetamer3

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • RSN:Tonguetamer3
I have never experienced this problem, as I am on the Modern Spellbook most of the time. However, I have heard other people complain about this.

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

demby123
[ Display Name History ]

demby123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only 1 veng. That's not gamebreaking.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Right, I'm not overly concerned about that. It's only a nuance.

I AM concerned about being able to switch to Modern Magic if you can cast any Lunar/Ancient spell.

demby123
[ Display Name History ]

demby123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

I AM concerned about being able to switch to Modern Magic if you can cast any Lunar/Ancient spell.

The veng stops you from switching during sb swap or something? I'm sorry I really cba to read that wall... :x
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

The veng stops you from switching during sb swap or something? I'm sorry I really cba to read that wall... :x

While leaving a dungeon in Daemonhiem, there's a small chance you are switched from Lunar/Ancients to Modern Magic. If you cast Spellbook Swap after leaving Daemonhiem, you also may remain on Modern Magic after you cast your 1 Modern Magic spell.

Ok they're independent of each other. I've never had both occur at once, but I suppose it could happen.

What happens with the Spellbook Swap bug (a misnomer, but w/e) is that you will abruptly switch from your current spellbook to Modern Magic. You do not HAVE to use Spellbook Swap to trigger this bug, but it happens much more often if you do. It's only happened to me on the Lunar spellbook, so idk if it works for Ancients.

IF IT DOES, then we have a problem, because if you can ice barrage -> teleblock, you can force someone to fight you in PvP.

demby123
[ Display Name History ]

demby123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Ok they're independent of each other. I've never had both occur at once, but I suppose it could happen.

What happens with the Spellbook Swap bug (a misnomer, but w/e) is that you will abruptly switch from your current spellbook to Modern Magic. You do not HAVE to use Spellbook Swap to trigger this bug, but it happens much more often if you do. It's only happened to me on the Lunar spellbook, so idk if it works for Ancients.

IF IT DOES, then we have a problem, because if you can ice barrage -> teleblock, you can force someone to fight you in PvP.

oooh
Yes, I've had that happen to me a couple of times when I was originally on ancients. How would you manage an ice barrage+ tb when the bug switches your book to normal though?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
Well remember this is speculation and under the assumption that a player can figure out how to execute this bug every time.

You'd go into a PvP world. You're on Ancients right now. You cast Ice Barrage, due to the bug, casting this spell causes you to revert to Modern Magic. Once you are on Modern Magic, you can cast teleblock.

You can then proceed to Fire Surge the hell out of that guy, or just AGS or claw him or something, and he can neither run nor teleport.

demby123
[ Display Name History ]

demby123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Well remember this is speculation and under the assumption that a player can figure out how to execute this bug every time.

You'd go into a PvP world. You're on Ancients right now. You cast Ice Barrage, due to the bug, casting this spell causes you to revert to Modern Magic. Once you are on Modern Magic, you can cast teleblock.

You can then proceed to Fire Surge the hell out of that guy, or just AGS or claw him or something, and he can neither run nor teleport.

If ice barrage splashes the entire plan is in turmoil. Besides, the same thing can be done exclusively on normal with just 5 seconds less hold time. It's not all that bad.
Now if you could switch back to ancients permanently after switching to normal, TB+ Ancients= people gonna have a problem.
I'd be fine with tb+ ancients tho...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
Right, it could miss, but what if it doesn't.

Why do people so adamantly oppose a remote-spellbook switching feature other than Spellbook Swap? It's because the potential 400+ Ice Barrage damage + claw/AGS spec is practically a guaranteed KO and there's NOTHING your target can do about it.

demby123
[ Display Name History ]

demby123

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Right, it could miss, but what if it doesn't.

Why do people so adamantly oppose a remote-spellbook switching feature other than Spellbook Swap? It's because the potential 400+ Ice Barrage damage + claw/AGS spec is practically a guaranteed KO and there's NOTHING your target can do about it.

We'll, Jagex will probably add something like that in the future anyways and we have crap like that now. So its nothing new really.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab
Well, I've definitely noticed this. More then once I've exited Damonheim on standard, even though I always try to stay on Lunars.

But, how is the venge thing a glitch? You cast vengeance on yourself, the spell effect carries until you log out or you use it. Theoretically, it should work the opposite way too - I don't get why this is a bug.

But yeah, if you somehow got ancients working with barrage and telebock, that'd be quite the bug to abuse. Can't see it working though, seeing as the spellswap bug only works with, well, spellswap. If it changes you from ancients to standard when you leave, that's annoying but not game breaking. But spellswap doesn't randomly switch you to standard after a spell, it just doesn't switch back. So unless Ancient Spellbook got spellswap, it's not a problem. If they do, you can teleblock then ice barrage anyways.

It's still damned annoying, being switch to standard. I like Lunar Magic, because if I *really* want a standard or ancient spell, spellswap. Then again, I'm actually alching my random crap now, and enchanting rings from nests o.O

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Bassy
[ Display Name History ]

Bassy

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Bassjason1
  • Clan:Spirit of Saradomin
This has driven me nuts since it started, and it's been like this since before the ring updates... It really doesn't help when I string amulets with the Lunar book and do farm runs with Swap spellbooks to pass the time between dungeons.

This must be fixed Jagex! <_<

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
Why can't we just have all 3 spellbooks at once? Same with both prayers and curses.

To switch, you can simply click on the "tab" within the spellbook/prayer. If you wanted to switch from ancients to lunars, you can click on the lunar tab to switch.

It's THAT simple, why not make the system like that? :rolleyes:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

MrNash
[ Display Name History ]

MrNash

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • RSN:Z A R U Z
Luckily it hasnt happened to me, it sounds really annoying. Especially for someone who doesnt keep a pile of lunar tabs handy.

About the wildy theory though, I don't think it would work. Speculation here as it hasnt happened to me (and people rarely spellbook swap to ancients) but surely if you spellbook swapped for a barrage, you will remain in ancients, not suddenly changed from ancients to regular, right?

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

Why can't we just have all 3 spellbooks at once? Same with both prayers and curses.

To switch, you can simply click on the "tab" within the spellbook/prayer. If you wanted to switch from ancients to lunars, you can click on the lunar tab to switch.

Because if you can TB + barrage + venge someone, they are going to die. Period. We can't switch between prayers/curses and the three spellbooks because it'd be horribly unbalanced. You give up certain advantages to have other advantages.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Riemis
[ Display Name History ]

Riemis

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Riemis
  • RSN2:Wow a 2
  • Clan:RSR

Because if you can TB + barrage + venge someone, they are going to die. Period. We can't switch between prayers/curses and the three spellbooks because it'd be horribly unbalanced. You give up certain advantages to have other advantages.

How about switching spellbooks would remove all the effects the previous spellbook had? LIke remove the teleblock or vengeance, or the freeze from the ice barrage.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

How about switching spellbooks would remove all the effects the previous spellbook had? LIke remove the teleblock or vengeance, or the freeze from the ice barrage.

Would still be OP to have all of those options, spells, and teleports at your fingertips.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users