Dungeoneering Tips and Tricks

Bassy

Howdy.

I've decided to make this in order to possibly help any future and existing members that may one day have the need to post a help thread about this skill. Please treat this as a help thread. I am more than ready to help and will probably add to this. Also, do note that this is written with my sense of humor, which you may or may not find all that funny. Please note that I do not mean to offend anyone, it's just that when I sat down to write this, that's how it came out.

Everyone should note that this guide is NOT intended to make everyone have a 20 minute dungeon, but it IS intended to set readers up to be prepared for one. In the end, it is a matter of cooperation, I am just pointing out some ideas that can help counter stupidity and help promote knowledge of this skill. Thank you for clicking, and please enjoy. :grin:

roles2.jpgDungeoneering For Dumbies

Prestige

To start, let me get the nasty thing called prestige out of the way. First off, PRESTIGE IS NOT THAT COMPLICATED. As you level up, you unlock new floors. However, to get experience rates that reflect your Dungeoneering level, your prestige should be as high as your Dungeoneering level allows. Therefore, to get higher prestige, you must do all possible floors your level allows (everything must be check-marked) when you reset your ring.

prestige.jpg

Example: I'm 100 Dungeoneering, meaning I can do up to floor 50. Therefore, before I reset my ring, I want to make sure that I have completed every floor from 1-50 before I reset with no empty spaces in-between. Meaning, in the picture, before I reset, my current progress should be 50, and if I leveled up and unlocked a floor, 51 is possible too, and only increases my experience multiplier.

Binds

Binds are the equipment you keep throughout your Dungeon career. At level 1, you get one bind. Everyone's goal should be level 50, in order to have 2 binds. This is when Dungeoneering gets serious.

"But Bass, what are the best items to bind!?"

Never fear! The list is here!

Your first bind should be the best weapon you can reasonably acquire at the time. Whilst there are a wide variety of weapons, you should stick to the following: Spears, 2-handers, and Battle-axes. The best weapon hands-down for under 99 Dungeoneering is either a Promethium 2h, or a Primal Battle-axe.

1st Bind: 2h > Battle-axe > Spear > Everything else

Your second bind should be a Shadow Silk Hood, or heck, even if you get a Shadow Silk Hood before you can bind 2 things, you should bind it in place of your weapon because it is that good. The Shadow Silk Hood essentially makes you invisible to humanoids in the Dungeon except for certain Mages. Forgotten Mages and Necromancers, however, have the ability to cancel the effect for about 1 minute, meaning everything becomes aggressive again.

SSH.jpg

Therefore, unless a Mage has temporarily disabled your hood, the following monsters will no longer be aggressive toward you:

Forgotten Warriors

Forgotten Rangers

Zombies

Skeletons (Warriors and Rangers)

Hill Giants

Basically, this means that about 50% of the monsters in Daemonheim will not be aggressive toward you.

The Shadow Silk Hood is dropped exclusively by the Night Spider (level 59). It is approximately a 1/65 Drop rate, so you should kill every one you find. If you do not have a hood bound yet, you should have the best Platebody you can wear bound until you get one.

[spoiler=Shadow Silk Hood Hunting]There are many hare-brained theories involving one's chances of receiving a Shadow Silk Hood. If you are one of the many poor souls who are having a tough time finding one to bind, here is the general consensus:

For your "best" chance of getting a Shadow Silk Hood (SSH), Night Spiders are, at least from my experience, most common within the Floor range of 30-35. So, now that we've narrowed it down to that range, the ball is in your court. You can either solo Complexity 6 them as small or mediums to ensure that you will be the one to bind it, or you can do larges. If you're really hankering for a hood, and you've got some time on your hands, just c6'ing them over and over, whether or not you actually kill the boss and end the floor, theoretically would give you a good chance of seeing a number of Night Spiders.

The Ammo slot: This is currently one of the most controversial bind slots. Ammo can either be a type of rune, a type of arrow, or a Blast/Surgebox. You can hold 125 attacks or spells worth in the slot, meaning you can have 125 arrows, 125 of that specific rune, or 125 attack spells in a box.

Currently, the hierarchy is commonly accepted as this: Surgebox = Law Runes > Arrows

Unless of course if you're a self-professed Ranger, this hierarchy sort of gets turned around. The ammo slot is highly open to preferences. Personally, I encounter more Forgotten Warriors than Necrolord bosses, so I choose a Surgebox, which holds 125 Air Surge Spells. Make a Fire Rune pile or other Elemental Rune or Staff, and you've got all potential surge spells at the start of the dungeon. Also, if you are a Keyer, you're probably better off binding Law Runes, relying on the Rest of the Team to have a mix of those and Surgeboxes.

[spoiler=The Third Bind]The thing to keep in mind when considering what to bind for your third spot is what role you play the majority of your time Dungeoneering. :shades:

Keyer

If you find yourself Keying the majority of Dungeons, a torso piece may be the right bind for you. Since running through the majority of Occult floors requires Protect from Magic to be on, a Primal Platebody or lower-tier platebody may fit to defend against the rest of the triangle.

A Blood Necklace (dropped by an Edimmu, the level 90 Slayer Monster) may also be an option for its periodic healing ability, up to 120LP per minute depending on your proximity to monsters while Keying.

The Rest of the Team

If you aren't the best Keyer, or just prefer volunteering your pixels as fodder for a variety of monsters, you have a lot more options than the Keyer for your third bind spot. Because you want to emphasize your rate of damage per second, that spot may be useful for widening your access to the Combat triangle. Do note that all of the Keyer's options apply to you too, since you may key a little on the side.

The Hexhunter bow, dropped by Soulgazers, is arguably the best bow in Daemonheim. In the hands of a competent individual, it has the ability to solo a Necrolord boss in under 5 minutes. Assuming you have good arrows bound along with it, this is a possible quick-switch for the many Mages found throughout a floor.

The Celestial Catalytic Staff is the Mage equivalent to this issue. Though I find switching to spells and back a tad tedious, others who may simply like to Mage instead of Melee may find this good to have for downing Forgotten Warriors or Dreadnauts.

roles2.jpgRushing = Dungeoneering

You may come across this term early in your Dungeon career. The thing is, it is often heard to many's dismay. "Rushing" should be the normal way of Dungeoneering. It isn't a special case. If you want to Dungeoneer, you'll be rushing.

What Rushing Should Mean

Rushing is essentially, well, rushing through a dungeon. The goal is to open all rooms and kill the boss as soon as possible with as little hissy-fits in-between. There are some elements of rushing that you should become accustomed to:

1. If it's not a Guardian door, don't clear it. Don't spend time killing monsters that aren't in the way of you progressing through the floor. If someone doesn't have a hood but you need them for a mime emote room or switches, it may then be necessary to clear that room. Otherwise, unless the Keyer says otherwise, only clear rooms with a Guardian door in them.

2. Use resources to a minimum. Don't skill if there's a Guardian Door to do or the Keyer expects you at the Group Gatestone. There are NO good reasons to be skilling unless you're a level 3 [that needs to realize you will never be Pure KQ Pax] or if the Keyer has given you a reason (e.g. logs for Bows or fish for his maw).

roles2.jpgNotes and Potions

Though you'll probably memorize this after a while in training, it's best to start off by having your notes feature similar to the following:

notes.png

Herbs are listed from Weakest to Strongest in regard to potion strength.

This allows you to save loads of time when thinking about what type of potion to make and what stuff you need to make it.

roles2.jpgTheory of Complexity 1

[spoiler='[size=4]Complexity 1[/size]']

In order to maintain prestige, Complexity 1 (known as c1) is a Dungeoneer's best friend. In complexity one, there are only Guardian Doors and Key Doors, and the Dungeon is very small (often one or two-way). This allows a competent team to complete the floor and defeat the extremely weak boss in around 1 minute, meaning more time spent on high number floors, allowing for better experience.

Setting it up

1. Advertise "c1's 1-29," these floors are most commonly done in Complexity 1.

2. Make a team of 5 people, ensuring that there are at least 2 people with Laws bound that ARE NOT the leader.

3. Set the Complexity of the Dungeon to 1. When it asks how many people to take into account (1-5), choose 1, so that the monsters are leveled for only one person.

c1.jpg

A typical complexity one floor map.

The Strategy

The Leader who makes the team should be someone preferrably without Laws bound. Therefore, at least one or two of the rest of the team MUST have laws bound to make the floors work quickly. There is no GGS in a Complexity 1 Dungeon, instead, the Leader of the team is essentially a moving GGS. Anyone with laws bound can teleport directly next to the Leader, meaning that they should be picking up ALL of the keys.

The Leader (GGS) should stand by key doors, announcing what he/she is standing by so that the Law-bound can organize around it. Should a Law-bound ask the Leader to "Swap," this means the Leader should start running to the other key door to allow for as fast a floor as possible.

Bosses in C1

Bosses are extremely easy for the most part in Complexity 1. Here are some extra tricks to defeat them faster than usual:

Luminescent Icefiend

Do NOT run away from his icicle attack. They will not kill you unless you are stacked on top of another player who still has health to lose. The last attack at 1LP can be skipped if he is spammed with Melee and Ranged attacks.

Rammernaut

While many are used to Maging him normally, he can simply be Melee'd in Complexity 1 for the quickest kill.

Stomp

This is the worst boss in Dungeoneering because of the random Crystal spawns. In complexity 1, the Leader should stand next to one of the Lodestones in case that area gets cut off. Therefore, a Law-bound will be able to teleport to him/her to put a Crystal on the Lodestone. Be patient with Stomp, it may be necessary to stand back and let him throw stuff to clear the rocks away in order for the Crystals to spawn. His last (Red Crystal) stage can be skipped if all of the team spams him close to death with Melee and Ranged attacks.

Bulwark Beast

Do not bother with Pickaxes in Complexity 1, as this thing can be downed with Magic attacks very easily.

That is about all I have to say on the subject of Complexity 1. A competent team that knows what they're doing can have these easy floors done in under an hour.

roles2.jpgRoles

In Dungeoneering, there are 2 main roles on your team: the Keyer, and the Rest Of The Team. Each role is different and diverse in their activities throughout a floor.

Defining the Keyer

The Keyer is essentially the Leader of your team. He or she should be the only person holding keys, meaning if you find one and pick it up, unless your Keyer says otherwise, you'll soon be cramming it down their inventory. I'm not going to go into too much more detail here, because I'll discuss more about the keyer in the "Etiquette" section.

[spoiler=Keying Basics] By opening this spoiler, please feel free to pat yourself on the back, and add 1 Internets to your stockpile. For simply showing interest in the art of Keying, I admire you.

To key effectively, you'll be having a two-way battle the entire time. One between the floor itself, and one with your teammates. Because you carry the keys, you are essentially going to be seeing about 80% of the actual dungeon, whereas the others might be lucky to see 60% of a floor. The following are a few tips for beginning Keyers, an advanced section following this spoiler will address the needs of more advanced Keying.

Using the GGS

There's a reason I said to make laws in the start room or have them bound. The fact is, your teammates are there for puzzles and Guardian doors, with the occasional skill door. You yourself will be running through the majority of the rooms. Don't allow anyone to follow you, even if there's no Guardian door around. That's a major and unnecessary waste of food and Prayer. You may actually have to tell people to stop following, and expect it. They should only be around you when you tell them to teleport to you, so use that GGS to its best.

Strategic places to plant the GGS on the ground:

1. In a SAFE area within or outside of a Guardian door. It's good to consider that if someone (you included) gets in a tough spot, a quick teleport can allow for a safe escape.

2. OUTSIDE the boss room. There are very few reasons that thing should ever in the room (Dreadnaut, Hope Devourer), so keep it outside in a safe area.

Communication

This is a major game-maker in Dungeoneering. If you don't communicate, then nobody knows what to do. To be honest, I feel that the Keyer is justified to be just on the edge of irritating when it comes to communication. You should be asking repeatedly for who has what Gated. Even if they've answered it 5 minutes before, that was an awful long time ago in respect to Goldfish memory, and it'll help you make the connections that much faster. Make them talk. If you pause to look at the map and see someone in a dead end or in the middle of nowhere, tell them to flush the toilet and GGS!

Using your Team

Your team [probably] consists of 4 other people. To effectively complete an average Guardian door room, it takes about 3 people. Therefore, other than yourself, you can efficiently have someone do a puzzle while the rest of the team clears a GD. Basically, you need to learn how best to manage your team for the situation at hand. I admit, I can't teach that, it's something to learn from experience. But as long as you're aware that you don't have to keep everyone clustered in a group, that will make your dungeons that much faster.

[spoiler=Advanced Keying Tips/Theory]

Chances are that if you're reading this, you've keyed plenty of floors and have a rough idea of what to do. Good. Makes this so much easier to write. Anyway, here are some theories to consider when Keying:

Movement

A huge mistake that Keyers often make is not moving. It is simply necessary that you should be in the process of "doing" something at all times within a floor. Are they finishing a GD? What was that door to the Northeast? These kinds of situations and more should be running through your head as you Key. Once you start the thought process, or get in the zone, you need to start prioritizing.

To complete a floor quickly, the Keyer should always be moving, thus the title of this little bit. This means that unless you only have one path, you should probably not be clearing a Guardian Door. You should be checking keys, peoples' Gatestones, and more than likely there is a part of the dungeon that needs doing. Therefore, it's your job to make sure you don't stay in one place too long. More often than not, you should be following paths other than ones blocked by GD's, which should be marked and assigned to the team.

Prioritizing

Guardian doors are fickle things; there are many variations, and therefore certain types can be efficiently solo'd or teamed. I have a few Golden rules to follow that aren't really Golden, but actually metaphorical.

If it's under 128, it could be soloable

Now of course this depends on if your team is already doing something, but a Guardian door can be solo'd by either you or someone on your team if the monster levels are right. Generally, I believe that the 128 Zombies have a bit too much health to be solo'd, but this combat level seems to be the divide between monsters that can be solo'd and those that cannot. If there are more than 3 monsters, unless they're complete wimps, it might be wise to call in backup.

Mage Warriors, Range Mages

You should take note of your team's bound weapons. If someone has a Surgebox, then their main priority in any GD [after any Mages/Shades are dead] should be to attack Warriors with it. Yell at them to do so, and make sure that nobody is melee'ing it if there are other monsters. The same goes for Hexhunters and Forgotten Mages, it's simply more efficient to kill everything else and leave them to demolish those humanoids.

A main reason for clans such as 3bo's success is because they know how to prioritize Guardian doors. You should strive to keep your team managing these things as effectively as possible. Killing Magic-based creatures first isn't where it ends, you need to make sure 2-3 people are piling any monsters over 150, and that others are starting to kill the lesser beings. Cutting down these kill-times basically does the dungeon for you.

Potions

Make sure you pick up any necessary Herbs on the ground. Transfer them to a teammate in case you need inventory space, but just having these around usually prevents having to assign someone to grow something, which takes time. This seems fairly simple for an "advanced" tip, but it works, trust me. Bug your team from the start if you see Wormwood or Magebane left on the ground, you'd be surprised how many people often miss if they aren't ordered to pick them up.

The Rest Of The Team

You guessed it! The rest of the team consists of everyone who isn't the Keyer! There are a few things we need to discuss here, the first of which is the most important:

When in a dungeon, you are temporarily discarding your religion. There is no God that is not the Keyer. The Keyer is your God, Salvation, Rapture, Poo-bah, Husband/Wife, Lover, Grand-pappy, and Boss. You should listen to everything he or she says and follow those orders as if they have a key set on your new car's door panel and they have sporadic Tourette's dependent upon your performance.

Your main goal in the dungeon is to clear Guardian Door rooms, and teleport to the Keyer when they say to for a Skill door, Puzzle, or Monolith, etc. IF YOU AREN'T DOING ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED, YOU EITHER HAVE PERMISSION FROM THE KEYER OR YOU ARE BEING A POMPOUS REAR-END. Skilling such as Fishing or Mining/Smithing should only be done if there is nothing to do or the Keyer, blessed be their soul for all eternity, hath given you the temporary privilege to do so. You should also at all times be able to give up food to the Keyer, because they have a heck of a job, and you will be seeing most of the food throughout the Dungeon anyway.

roles2.jpgWhere to Dungeoneer: A Tragedy

There are many worlds, of which for the Dungeoneering skill, only a few are used. Some worlds are terrible, some are less terrible, and other worlds are so lost that they still don't realize that Runescape isn't a dating site (INORITE!?).

The sad fact is, there are only 3 real public Dungeoneering world servers for you to use. Unless you have a lot of friends that are always on, you are more than likely going to be using these worlds a fair lot as you train Dungeoneering. I shall now list and describe them:

World 117 (and 77): 117 and 77 are the "Jagex-themed" worlds in which people who are just starting, not completely sane, a combination of the two, or are simply so far set in their ways that they are more similar to an overripe potato than human being can train. Sadly, you will be stuck with this world until at least level 80, because the other worlds are aware that there is a stupidity barrier one must cross frequently between worlds 116 and 118, and need some persuasion. Your best bet is to find friends to Dungeon with you when on this world, because it requires a sense of humor to deal with.

World 148: This world, while currently in decline, is definitely a significant step up from the theme worlds. People are less likely to rage-quit, but it will still happen. This was initially a 90+ Dungeon-only world, but it is possible to squeeze by with 80 if you know what you're doing.

The following are rules to follow on 148:

1. If you make the team, you're the Keyer. If you join a team and get in the dungeon, and your leader asks "Who's keying?" that is your hint that this dude is new and you're probably better off volunteering to key or leaving the Dungeon and finding a different team.

2. The best advertisement is a simple advertisement. When looking for a team, all worlds on 148 are assumed to be large unless otherwise specified. Therefore, someone saying "Floor 36 Large" probably isn't aware of rule 1, and is fresh off the boat from 117. The best advertisement to look for would be the floor number plus the number of spots left on the team, e.g. "36+4" assuming I'm the only one on the team so far.

Clan Worlds

I can't specify what worlds there are, but joining clan chats of big Dungeoneering clans like 3-Binds-Only reveals what world they are using. They usually change once a week in order to get rid of the idiots. These are the best worlds, but they come with high level requirements.

roles2.jpgTheory of Dungeoneering

In Dungeons, you should keep a few rules in mind so that at least one person is doing something right in respect to your team. Apart from pleasing the almighty Allah Pope Keyer, you should be picking up certain things and slowly preparing your team for the boss while you clear Guardian Doors.

The Start Room

The Start room is the very first room in the Dungeon. There is a Smithing post, Runecrafting Altar, The General Store, and most importantly, a Table full of goodies. Now, to properly address the partition of these goodies, you should be attempting to scarf up the following:

1. Mid-tier food. You should leave things such as Cave Morays and Blue Crabs to the Keyer, because he or she is, and I don't care what argument you have here, they ARE GOING TO NEED TO GET THEIR GRUB ON if you expect a stellar performance out of them. You should be picking up Giant Flatfish, Short-Finned Eels, Bouldabass, and sometimes Salve Eels if you're feeling especially greedy. Remember, you'll be doing Guardian doors most of the Dungeon which means lots of food for you.

2. Money. Your other goal for getting the goodies requires some effort (heaven forbid we utilize some simple logic!) Leave Armour such as shields, legs, and plates for the Keyer. Weapons, gloves, boots, and helms, however, you should try to get at least one. Sell that to the Smuggler, and buy a Toolkit. Hold up, let's do this over with it's own number

2.5497. Buy a Freaking Toolkit. I don't care if you aren't the Keyer, blessings and peace be upon him/her, everyone on your team should buy a Toolkit (1,320 GP at your local Smuggler Mart, just a game tick away from your initial start point!). The reason why you should buy a toolkit is because you'll also be doing puzzles in the Dungeon as well as teleporting to do a Skill door (cuz you got skills nawutah maen!).

3. Rune Essence. In your long, hard, epic, 30 second journey into the Dungeon so far, you may or may not have followed step 2 (if you didn't, do it, trust me this is good stuff!), therefore, you may notice that after buying the super-cheap, useful, necessary, and awesome Toolkit, there is some money left over! This is the part where I tell you to buy Rune Essence (because that's the title of this bullet point, if you haven't noticed). With the Rune Essence, You should make a combination of Law and Cosmic Runes.

4. Your Ring. Ensure that your ring is on the class style you want, and then use the inspect option on the Keyer of your team, as the following picture shows:

inspect.jpg

Use the inspect option on either the Keyer, or a possible troublemaker. The Inspect option gives you a view of that player's inventory, therefore, without him telling you, you know what Keys that the Keyer, may they live eternally under the Light, is carrying. If you're a leader, but not keying (what is wrong with you!?), it'd be best to use the Promote option and make your Keyer the Leader of the party so they can mark monsters in rooms.

Post-Start Room Antics, A.K.A. The Rest of the Dungeon

Over the course of the Dungeon, I want you to be focused on the following OTHER THAN FOOD, which I assume your hungry little maws will already demand copious amounts of:

1. Coins. Pick up coins. Loot every chest you see, and if you don't have the Thief level, find someone who does. Coins are necessary in a number of situations: Herb seeds for potions, ingredients for an Altar, as well as more Rune Essence for number 2....

2. Runes. Whether you're picking them up off the ground or making them, you should try to have a good supply of Law, Cosmic, Astral, Earth, and Death Runes (Deaths if 93+ Magic). Therefore, you will then have runes for Poison Cure spells, as well as Vengeance. The Earth Rune supply works with a Surgebox for Earth Surge spells, which give a bit more kick than the standard Air Surge.

3. Charms. KNOW YOUR SUMMONING LEVEL. You should not at any point EVER make a Beast of Burden. It is a waste. You should collect charms based on the Summoning tier your level allows (e.g. I have 99, so I collect Blues for Sachem and Adept familiars). The type of familiar you make is dependent upon the Boss, meaning you won't be making a familiar until you know what the boss is (but you already knew that, didn't you). If you want me to go into detail, I will, but for now, just make the familiar that uses the combat triangle opposite of what your boss uses. Therefore, a Ranger would be useful against the Necrolord, which uses Magic, so a Deathslinger familiar would be quite useful against him.

roles2.jpgGetting Stoned

ggs.png

The Group Gatestone

When starting a dungeon, the leader of the party spawns with a Group Gatestone in his or her inventory. This is affectionately known as the "GGS." One can teleport to this stone's location at any time by casting the Group Gatestone Teleport spell (which requires Law Runes). This stone is possibly the one thing that is going to make your dungeon fast. The Keyer usually carries this, telling you to teleport to it when they have found something for you to do. It can be placed on the ground to act as a safe teleport area if the room you're doing is dangerous.

Slang terms for the Keyer's orders usually have the GGS somewhere in them. For example, "GGS GD" usually means the Keyer wants you to teleport to him/her in order to complete a Guardian Door room.

GS.png

The Personal Gatestone

The Personal Gatestone is a major game-maker when in a Dungeon. Along with the Keyer's skill in using the GGS, your skill in using your personal Gatestone can be the difference between a 30-minute Large and a 60-minute Large. The Personal Gatestone is made using Cosmic Runes. Once dropped at a hopefully strategic point, you can teleport to it once before it breaks, meaning you'll be making quite a few of these over the course of a floor. You should gate things for the following:

1. Key Doors that only you have found or the Keyer is far away from. Drop your Gatestone at one of these and tell your Keyer, so that when he finds it, you can bring the GGS to that door, or the key itself. This also applies to skill doors or puzzle rooms that you cannot do.

2. Clutch points. There are often times where the party will come across a room that may branch in up to 3 other directions. It would be wise to Gate these locations if nobody else has, as it may make a difference rather than forcing the Keyer to backtrack to get back to that clutch point.

3. Altars. Altars are always okay to gate. Just make sure that you're the only one who has gated it, otherwise you should try any of these other options first.

4. Resources. This should be the last item on your list of objectives to gate. If you're gating this, it should be very short-term, as in you're coming right back to them because there's nothing to do yet.

Above all, if the Keyer says to gate something, make sure you or another team member does.

roles2.jpgRooms

In this section I will address the 3 most hated rooms: Mercenaries, Ramokees, and Monoliths.

Mercenaries

merc.png

Mercenary rooms are team-biased. You will have more trouble with them soloing than with a team. A room like this has one Mercenary Leader (Mage). When he sees you or your team, he calls his friends; numerous quantities of Forgotten Warriors, Mages, and Rangers. The goal is take out the Mercenary Leader as quickly as possible. Tips for addressing this room are as follows:

1. Place the Group Gatestone OUTSIDE and AT LEAST HALF A ROOM AWAY!

The Leader will keep calling his "friends" into the room unless he can't see you. This includes the space outside the door into the room.

2. Enter on empty, leave at 500LP.

Start killing the Leader immediately once your team is ready, pray Magic or whatever you think will help you, and watch your health. Forgotten warriors can max over 400 points of damage, so by this, I suggest that you teleport when your Keyer tells you to, or when you have no food and around 500 life points left.

Ramokees

(Insert really cool picture of Ramokee room here)

Ramokee rooms suck. To get past them, everything moving in there must die (except Mastyx's!). This room has a big Obelisk in the middle, and 4 rogue Summoning familiars running around it. To best destroy everything in here, take out the familiars first, in this order:

Skinweaver -> Deathslinger -> Stormbringer -> Bloodrager

You MUST take out the Skinweaver first or it will heal any damage done to the other familiars. The other two are your choice honestly, but leave the Bloodrager for last. If someone has been doing their homework, they may have some Rune Essence. If the Keyer allows it, make Entangle or Bind spell runes. Then, once in the room, cast that spell in the Bloodrager, and keep him still. A really good team will do that as well as keep the Deathslinger on the other side of the Obelisk from the team, so that it can't attack anyone. Note that because you're probably going to be praying Magic due to the Stormbringer and the high likeliness of other Mages in the room, taking out the Deathslinger after the Skinweaver would be the much safer and efficient way to address this room.

Monoliths

Monoliths are a necessary evil. Basically this room just needs to be grunted out by all of the team.

1. Dispelling Myth.

During your Dungeon journeys, you may pick up a few various myths involving Monoliths. These myths are often "ways" that the bad acid-trip known as World 117 believes makes the timer bar fill faster. Don't believe them, it isn't true. If everyone spam-clicks the monolith, it's not going to fill faster, if the team member with the lowest Magic level starts the bar, the Shades are not noobs (RAGEQUIT IRL naysayers PL0X).

2. Start with a good spawn.

A commonly accepted way of thinking to go by with monoliths is that "a good spawn is a good mono." Therefore, don't attack anything if the starting Shades are 4 level 133's, or 2, or 5 90's, etc. Look for a good starting spawn (1 level 90, a few 67's, whatever you think is ok). This is the one myth I'll let you believe because it is many actually sane individuals' beliefs that you will not waste time waiting for a good start.

3. Grunt it out.

I compare Monolith rooms to having a go at the loo. You're going to have to put some effort into it and power it out. The best way to do this is to have your team on the west and south sides, because the Shades never spawn east or north. Then pile the Shades as they spawn, making sure everyone shares tanking.

4. Take off the Plate. If you have a Platebody equipped, you should take it off. Doing so, and praying Protect from Range, leaves you very protected (almost completely) from the Shades' attacks (which due to your plate being off, will be Range-based).

roles2.jpgPreparing Your Mind and DG Etiquette

When you're Dungeoneering, you need to keep a few things in mind when dealing with your teammates. You're going to witness stereotypes in action, and realize that Jagex's view of its playerbase was way too hopeful when they made this "skill." I'm going to cover some stereotypes in this section, as well as how best to deal with them.

[spoiler=Recognizing Stereotypes]Player Moderators

You'd be surprised at what that little crown can do to a person. These guys and gals are probably the best thing you could hope for in a dungeon 95% of the time. 95% of these guys are going to be the social backbone of your team, because NOBODY wants to argue with them, and EVERYBODY wants to kiss their behind crown. Their are a select few, however, (for you math fans; 100% - 95% = 5%) that honestly I believe Jagex needs to re-evaluate their status.

The [Wagon]

These guys are usually found in their local habitat Their own Rear Ends World 117. They are un-reachable; so set in their own ways that it is better off persuading a rock to get up and sing Dixie than to get him to change even one thing about his Dungeoneering ability. You will be able to tell this one apart from your teammates by him or her either immediately setting out to fish or mine in the same room in which you're killing something, or basically the minute you see a Worldbearer Summoning familiar and they already have a Shadow Silk Hood. Regardless of the Keyer giving them permission, these guys will probably be wearing a full set of armour halfway through the dungeon.

The Pro

You want to be this person one day. They are either the Keyer, or are the one lightly correcting the Keyer and making it appear to His Majesty that He thought of the idea Himself. Pros can be any level (only Pure Kq Pax is level 3, all other level 3's are to be flamed hardcore), and are immediately recognizable by their generosity or actual willingness to share.

The Golden Gall Bladder

These guys hog all money drops and keep it to themselves. You will never know it's happening, and when you find out, they have already invested it and bought some Bonds from the First National Bank of Stupidity. They won't give it up, and even giving another person 1k causes extreme stress and anxiety. If you need the money for an altar, and he or she won't build the altar or donate; threaten to kick this person (though [Wagon] personas will probably actually kick them).

[spoiler=Bonus Section: Arguments]Arguments

Arguments are an everyday reality in Dungeoneering. Here are some ways to deal with them:

A. Stopping an argument.

Keep them moving. As long as they see progress in the floor, they're more likely to stick around. Telling them to shut up only drags you into the fight, so just keep doing the dungeon and make sure to keep them close by.

B. Starting an argument.

Any of the following should work:

Any form of "you mad bro."

"Yo mama has enough chins for 99 Ranged!"

"afk 2 mins". Repeat every 2 minutes

"why is Ggs in boss room?" Say this when boss room has yet to be found for maximum effect.

"Who's tooling?"

Any complaint about low Prayer Points.

Feed someone massive amounts of Heim Crabs when they are getting piled and about to die.

Start Mining/Fishing in a Guardian Door room

Etiquette

The following should be followed to the letter:

3 C's of Dungeoneering:

Contribute: Actually make sure you're doing something worthwhile. Periodically evaluate your performance in your head a few times per floor.

Cooperate: This is a necessary evil. You need to work with people to make this skill work, and to be willing to work with people.

Stay Cool: Always keep a cool head. I'm usually on the edge of laughing when I Dungeon because observing the people who train this skill is a riot. Keep in mind that the bosses were made by programmers who probably laughed out loud for hours by trying to see how they can get each other killed (Heim Crabs only heal 20 for a reason).

roles2.jpgRings of Kinship

You may or may not have noticed, but the Ring of Kinship stays with you throughout your dungeon career. Inside the Dungeon, this thing actually does have uses. I won't cover all of the classes, only the top three that I find useful for the average Dungeoneer. You can customize your ring by right-clicking it in a dungeon and clicking, well, "Customize." Credits for this section go to Obtaurian for waking me up to actually updating this area.

[spoiler=Primary Ring]Beserkers or Tacticians***

beserker.jpg

The Beserker and Tactician Rings are for the Rest of the Team. Depending on their weapon being better specialized for Aggressive or Accurate Stances in combat style, they should use one of these classes the majority of the Dungeon when clearing Guardian doors, because more damage or accuracy is key to achieving a better DPS (damage per second). The majority of you all should be using strictly Beserker, with a quick-switch on gatherer or a magic ring. People who use unorthodox weapons may need Tactician, hence its inclusion in this subject.

Gatherer

gatherer.jpg

Everyone serious about Dungeoneering should have a well-developed Gatherer ring. This sucker is very useful in many situations. Keyers may have it on quick-switch for opening skill doors, as with every tier, damage taken for failing a skill door is lowered. At tier 7, I expect to be damaged only about 250lp for a failure. The Rest of the Team should have this ring on quick-switch for when the Keyer, out of the eternal kindness of his or her soul, gives you permission to fish or make armour. Extra resources are always good to make the most out of your very limited skilling time.

Keyers should have either this or a melee-combat ring as their primary class, as those are the most beneficial for that particular role.

You can get by safely with a Tier 7 ring for whichever classes you use. Buying anything over should be reserved for people with plenty of Tokens, or serious Dungeoneers.

***Self-professed Rangers or Mages who are in denial that their skill stinks hardcore is not the best way to kill the majority of things in Daemonheim or have a unique bind setup may wish to use these Rings' Ranged counterparts such as but not limited to Desperado. I leave Tactician there as some people might use a completely different weapon [than they should be using], so as long as they use a melee ring at least, they won't be hurting the rest of us [too bad].

[spoiler=Quick-switch Classes]Your ring has an option called "Quick-switch." This option allows you to switch to a pre-designated class with one right-click-left-click combo, permitting that something is not attacking you.

This allows those that have alternate combat styles to truly shine.

Mages

Those with a surgebox or runes aiming for some hot bolt-on-warrior action should have their quick-switch set to either the Blazer or the Blitzer ring. Blazer is assumed to be the best until Tier 10, in which Blitzer takes over the role.

Rangeders

That's right, the skill is called Ranged. And since we don't say archers, I've decided the D is now necessary (and accurate =P).

Rangeders should stick with Sniper assuming that they have a Hexhunter, as the slow rate of fire helps preserve ammunition.

If you don't have an alternate style, some safe ways to go would be:

Gatherer

If this isn't your primary, and you don't have a bow/surgebox, then you should probably have this on your quick-switch.

Medic

I wasn't convinced of this class's usefulness until I used it myself. For emergency situations in which Jagex is being really mean the dungeon is not giving food, having this buddy on quick-switch can really help the team out overall, especially when the keyer is in desparate need of healing.

roles2.jpgDG Lingo

It is accurate to say that if a normal person who has never before played Runescape or Dungeoneering entered a dungeon full of pro DG'ers, they wouldn't understand a word said. Imagine having a conversation with a friend consisting of "gk gocr, move gt?" and "Gtgd x2 and obby!"

So, this section is intended to give you a clue as to what people may be saying.

[spoiler=Keys]When dealing with Keys, it is best to break down how people abbreviate their color and shape:

Key Color = Abbreviation

Crimson = Cr

Blue = B

Green = Gr

Gold = Go

Yellow = Y

Purple = P

Key Shape = Abbreviation

Wedge = W, Wed,

Triangle = T, Tri

Shield = Sh

Rectangle = r, rec

Crescent = Cr, cres

Corner = Co, corn

Simply combine the two using:

Key Color + Key Shape

So, A Yellow Corner would be abbreviated as "Y co."

To say [efficiently] that you have a key, say "Gk (key name)"

To say that you have put a Gatestone at a Key Door, say "GSed (Key name)

[spoiler=Terms]There are also some terms to know, varying from orders to vocabulary. Once again, this is all intended to keep you doing things in the dungeon other than typing out "I have found a Green Crescent Door and have placed my Personal Gatestone directly next to it."

Term - Definition

Mono - Indicates the presence of a Monolith room

Obby, Ramo - Indicates the presence of an Obelisk room with the four Ramokee familiars to fight

Gtgd, GGS Gd - A Keyer's order to teleport to the Group Gatestone to clear a Guardian Door

Gk [key name]- The announcer has found and picked up a Key

Move Gt - Orders for someone to move the Group Gatestone to where their Personal Gatestone is

Tk - Toolkit, which everyone should have one of assuming at least one room has been opened in the Dungeon

Gate (GS) [Door] - The Keyer wants someone to place a Personal Gatestone by a certain door

Denk - Dead End No Key

Dewk - Dead End With Key

HT - Home teleport

roles2.jpgMore to Come Soon?

So I've said quite a lot about this skill now. I hope you readers try it out. There are a lot of potential laughs and good times to be had. If there's anything else that I haven't included, but you want me to cover, please feel free to ask me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, I sense a lot of frustration towards bad DGers coming out of your guide.

Which is fine, in the sense that the vast majority of DG guides have the same thing.

but ultimately it's really distracting.

getting rid of that tone would be one way to get yourself a step ahead of other existing DG guides.

Naaxi.png

B. Starting an argument.

Any of the following should work:

Any form of "you mad bro."

"Yo mama has enough chins for 99 Ranged!"

"afk 2 mins". Repeat every 2 minutes

"why is Ggs in boss room?" Say this when boss room has yet to be found for maximum effect.

"Who's tooling?"

Any complaint about low Prayer Points.

Feed someone massive amounts of Heim Crabs when they are getting piled and about to die.

I lol'd.

I like your style. It's entertaining imo, but it does get a little distracting at times, as stated above. Great content in the guide though.

Personally, I loved it. I mean, it's not really useful for people who already know what they're doing, but I thoroughly enjoyed the read. It's an entertaining way to educate newbies, I think. I lol'd a few times.

:thumbup:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Good to see me binding a surgebox over my law runes was actually a somewhat intelligent idea, even though I admit I solo a majority of the time due to me being on dialup and getting frustrated with idiots really, really easily.

I also found the guide to be quite entertaining :P Overall a good guide. I enjoyed reading it considerably.

I admit I have a lot of tokens in my ring that probably aren't too useful (having tokens in blitzer and blazer mage styles, artisan, and desperado), but I also put said tokens in just after release :P I find using the mage and berserker rings useful, though. And of course gatherer, when I get a chance to use it.

One thing I would like to know is how would one go about getting a shadow silk hood? I personally haven't seen one before, although I've killed every night spider I've ever seen. Is there any method of obtaining one quickly, besides just dungeoning as normal and hope for one? I'm not entirely sure how useful it would be to me when I mostly solo, though.

I am slowly getting myself more into the mindset of rushing rather than grabbing every resource, though. Which is undoubtedly a good thing :P

Anyway, good guide.

Link_Olaran.png

Good fun but please less bold font. Good guide though.

1) Tactician is no good.

2) Add that you should look in your keyer's inventory to see what keys they have, especially if you're going off opening doors when there are no gds to do.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Good fun but please less bold font. Good guide though.

1) Tactician is no good.

2) Add that you should look in your keyer's inventory to see what keys they have, especially if you're going off opening doors when there are no gds to do.

Like I said, I wrote it on another site, and the font was awkward, will be experimenting with that soon.

1. I'm assuming straight Gatherer or Zerker/whatever then?

2. Was going to add that in later this week when I re-write the Gatestone section to be more keyer/cooperation-friendly. I just never get my point across appropriately. Though now I usually have it on possible trouble-makers because I DG with friends in voice chat.

Thanks for the run-down.

Also at the Shadow Silk Hunter, I'm considering adding a spoiler about that. There are some theories that involve doing F30-35 in C6's for the "best chance." I'll go dig up that help thread and hopefully have a diagnosis for you soon.

Well that was quite amusing to read.

Is there any point to B (Starting an Argument) apart from the fact it's amusing? I've come across the 'why is ggs in boss room' one more than once and now wonder if people are just stupid bringing it in and try to pass off the blame or are deliberately trying to inflame people.

How about the third bind?

sweepsig.png

Thanks, the argument section was suggested by a friend. I should probably add some background to it.

Also, yes I should probably add third bind info since a quest may make it the norm. Will be going through with some of these suggestions tonight after class. Once again, thanks for the feedback!

You know, you've said very little about people who like to mage in DG. If I get a chance, I like to make empowered fire staffs to mage with.

That being said, I don't DG that often, and when I do I solo because I'd rather NOT deal with 117....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Found a fix for the font.

Added a spoiler about Shadow Silk Hoods, gathered from my own experiences and a few Tip.it help threads on the subject.

Put the argument section in a spoiler.

Added info in the start room section on switching your ring to the Keyer's inventory.

Known problems I need to fix yet:

Some more formatting

Re-doing the Gatestone section

Getting rid of some humor.

3rd Bind info?

Font :thumbup:.

I'd say, third bind wise: hex > blood neck > plate unless keying in which case hex = plate > blood neck.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Font :thumbup:.

I'd say, third bind wise: hex > blood neck > plate unless keying in which case hex = plate > blood neck.

disagree, i'd say plate>hex>neck for people without a perm team

for keying, plate>hex and i'd never ever consider a neck bind

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Plenty of people say they can deal with dungeons without a plate.

Great guide so far! an entertaining read and accurate.

If only the clueless dungers could read aguide like this to comprehend how bad they are @ dung.

I got to 97 dung about 6 months ago and was getting dungs done in 20-30 mins everytime with a good clan, went to w117 and that time went up to 1 hr -2hrs a level lol!!!!

pocket_0aces.png

several things:

-- i dont generally waste time with low food drops at a table. also, if the table produces bad loots, buy runes over a TK because it's always faster to gate home and buy a TK than to buy a TK and then run home to make more runes

-- bobs can be made lossless (ie without wasting time). use low charms only and pick up low level bags. make them only when you see a obelisk on ur path (never ht to make it) theyre still pretty useless but as long as youre being smart about how you make it, it's cheap and potentially could save you 3-4 food in the long run.

-- zerker is pretty much the only ring choice for non-keyers. zerker is much better than tact.

having a plate bind makes certain things a lot easier (you can tank zombies and skeles w/o pray -> more pray for turm/ss/prots)

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Okay, I'm getting ready to write up a section on the third bind. Planning on keeping it very open to preference. Gonna start portioning some stuff into spoilers, so then hopefully that will start to piece out the distractions. Thanks for all the feedback so far, folks. :mrgreen:

Good read, but nothing that I didn't already know... Aside from hopping into 3bo's chat to find a world :)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Here, have a mercenary room picture:

mercenary.png

Well laid out and witty guide, should help see W117'ers on better paths (if only they'd read this)

Regarding Ramokee rooms, I personally prefer killing the Deathslinger first (because I'm under the illusion that it has less melee defence than the Stormbringer), and it eliminates the range damage source, since everyone usually prays mage.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I agree completely on the Deathslinger. Came to that realization sometime last week. Would also consider moving on to Shades or other problem creatures before killing the Stormbringer or Bloodrager. Thanks for the picture, but I've got one, it just didn't carry over from the other site (should have it on here by later today).

Added the third bind section, and put a few things in spoilers, corrected a few facts, etc. Currently considering adding a section on voice chat, and perhaps Bosses if there's any demand. :mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...