Concept Bands

Kimberly

Concept bands, or CD's with good stories.

And of course, my own scant contributions:

The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North; Act II: The Meaning of and All Things Regarding Miss Deceiving; Act III: Life and Death

Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade; In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth Vol. 3; Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV; Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Vol 2. - No World for Tomorrow; Year of the Black Rainbow

Ludo - Broken Bride

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre

I always find these sorts of cd's interesting because they're not just music (adurr, let me elaborate...) The overreaching story and the music achieves more than any single book or cd can by themselves. While I don't think it's necessarily superior than any other sort of CD or band, the experience is wholly unique and fulfilling in a completely different way. It's something I've grown to love, and I've found myself over time giving less and less attention to my other cds in the long run.

Thoughts/contributions?

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm not really much of a fan of most concepts, except Deloused and American Idiot, but I like a lot of albums that sound concepty. Orbitals by Acroma, Everyone Into Position by Oceansize, 10,000 Days by Tool, etc.

Also, my band is working on a concept album right now. We scrapped over half our stuff a few weeks ago because it was crap, but the new stuff is pretty good. If anyone actually cares, I wouldn't mind posting a few teasers.

Kezia is a concept album, described by the band members as a "situationist requiem". The lyrics tell the story of a woman named Kezia and her execution by firing squad. The story is chronicled in the perspective of three characters: the priest who presides over her execution, one of the prison guards who is to kill her, and Kezia herself. Each character is designated a section containing three songs, with a single retrospective finale concluding the album. According to the band, each of the three characters represent an aspect of the band members themselves."

More Info Here

Not sure if you'll personally like it though blink.gif

6590ew.jpg

Jamies-Elsewhere-They-Said-A-Storm-Was-Coming.jpg

post hardcore at its finest. Story of a mapmaker's journey of uncertainty. One of my favorite album's to date, to boot :D

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Funeral for a Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves

30 Seconds to mars - self titled

My chemical romance - 3 cheers for sweet revenge

Not my fav albums, but the only half decent ones that sprung to mind.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Scenes from a memory is good, enjoyable album, and I like how its split into 2 acts. Can Octavarium also be considered a concept album? It is consistant, and has no breaks in it, with all the tracks flowing somewhat well.

I think Kamelot's Epica and The Black Halo albums are a pretty good example of a concept, with their use of different guests voicing different parts throughout the album.

Also, I enjoy Dimmu Borgirs In Sorte Diaboli, which is a pretty good concept album, although I'm a bit aprehensive about their upcoming album, as it is supposed to be a continuation of their previous album, and the middle part of a trilogy.

I think Kezia is definately a good album, although I was completely unaware of it beinga concept album.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

nightfall-in-middle-earth.jpg

Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" is an incredible concept album. Think Lord of the Rings + Power metal. Really really good power metal. Enjoy this 22 track behemoth.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Kezia is a concept album, described by the band members as a "situationist requiem". The lyrics tell the story of a woman named Kezia and her execution by firing squad. The story is chronicled in the perspective of three characters: the priest who presides over her execution, one of the prison guards who is to kill her, and Kezia herself. Each character is designated a section containing three songs, with a single retrospective finale concluding the album. According to the band, each of the three characters represent an aspect of the band members themselves."

More Info Here

Not sure if you'll personally like it though blink.gif

That's a great album, I love it. Had it on my iTunes for a while.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Could never get into Scenes from a Memory. Don't see why everyone calls it their best. Fan of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence though, I've seen that referred to as a concept album.

Also, Fates Warning's Pleasant Shade of Gray is excellent.

I just know it as that type of album. Train of Thought is my personal favourite album.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod