Best game of '05

abyssalreaper

And nobody has mentioned AOE 3 or Civ 4 yet? Tsk...
AOE3 seems to have some minor flaws in the AI which tends to make the single player too easy. Although the multiplayer against human players is fine I supose.

Couldn't tell you on Civ 4. Need to get a hold of that sometime :P

And nobody has mentioned AOE 3 or Civ 4 yet? Tsk...
AOE3 seems to have some minor flaws in the AI which tends to make the single player too easy. Although the multiplayer against human players is fine I supose.

Couldn't tell you on Civ 4. Need to get a hold of that sometime :P

what sorts of flaws in the ai?

111yr4.jpg

If I were to choose, It would be between these games:

Resident Evil 4

God of War

Psychonauts

Forza Motorsport

The Warriors

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

Mario Kart DS

Meteos

Lumines

Any of those would do.

Battle For Middle Earth. For those who don't know what it is, Google it. :P

One of the best strategical games of 2005. It get's my vote.

-Mitch-

New sig to come!

The only decent contenders have been BF2, Farenheit, CoD2 and F.E.A.R. However, even they have their problems - BF2 no bots, Farenheit terrible graphics, CoD2 has samey gameplay, F.E.A.R. has unsatisfying weapons.

Please :? I've played both F.E.A.R. and CoD2. Fear has a terrible multiplayer at least (I didn't do much in the single player). The weapon models, animations, and sounds suck; the game physics & movement are so soft/unresponsive (it feels like I'm walking around in a fat suit); and for being such a demanding game, it doesn't even look that great. CoD2 I've only played the demo of, but I can see that it is nothing special. The TV commercial is SUCH an exaggeration. Also, I play CS:S on a clan's server with people that also play CoD varieties and Battlefield 2, and have heard a lot of complaints from them about BF2.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube) looks great, I haven't had a chance to play it though, only bought one game this year. I haven't played enough games to give my choice, but I can say for sure, none of those three are near the top.

How can you base games on that? You played some or the F.E.A.R. single player (which is the major focus)...you played the demo of COD2, and you hear BF2 is bad...You're arguement has no worth.
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

i have'nt played many new games this year, from 2005, but from what i've heard RE4 is supposed to be pretty good, plus the Kong game based on the new movie is pretty fun, though not too demanding, grab the stcik stab the dinosaur, repititive, but quite enjoyable :D

The only decent contenders have been BF2, Farenheit, CoD2 and F.E.A.R. However, even they have their problems - BF2 no bots, Farenheit terrible graphics, CoD2 has samey gameplay, F.E.A.R. has unsatisfying weapons.

Please :? I've played both F.E.A.R. and CoD2. Fear has a terrible multiplayer at least (I didn't do much in the single player). The weapon models, animations, and sounds suck; the game physics & movement are so soft/unresponsive (it feels like I'm walking around in a fat suit); and for being such a demanding game, it doesn't even look that great. CoD2 I've only played the demo of, but I can see that it is nothing special. The TV commercial is SUCH an exaggeration. Also, I play CS:S on a clan's server with people that also play CoD varieties and Battlefield 2, and have heard a lot of complaints from them about BF2.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube) looks great, I haven't had a chance to play it though, only bought one game this year. I haven't played enough games to give my choice, but I can say for sure, none of those three are near the top.

How can you base games on that? You played some or the F.E.A.R. single player (which is the major focus)...you played the demo of COD2, and you hear BF2 is bad...You're arguement has no worth.

I only had to play half of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes to know it was the worst console game I had ever played. What am I supposed to think, that only the parts of the game I played are mediocre, and the rest is a mindblowing experience? This is a topic about the best game of the year. I may not be able to accurately say how good/bad those games are, but it is crystal clear that they are NOT the best. Fear and CoD2, at least.

Hmm I would have to say Battlefield 2, Ive had lots of fun hours with that game. (Atleast I think it was realised in 05, not sure)

I havent really played all that much new games this year, mostly due to budget problem. But an opinion is an opinion.

Computer or Xbox?

I'm still debating whether or not I should get BF2 for Xbox...

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

God of War is my pick of the litter, totally awesome game and heaps of fun.

God of war does have a great single player. In my opinion it has possibly the best graphics for a playstation 2 game and the storyline is amazing.

On the other side though, it has no multiplayer, it can be beat in only a few days (unless you want to try on god mode but in my opinion its not worth the buy for that). So basically it has very little replay value.

To make the game perfect it would have needed a really good multiplayer. I hope the next GOW has one.

*Obviously does not see other Kessen III fans out there*

*hides*

It's a great tactical strategy game, and has impressive graphics and movies. The voice acting leaves something to be desired, but overall it is a nice game.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I only had to play half of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes to know it was the worst console game I had ever played. What am I supposed to think, that only the parts of the game I played are mediocre, and the rest is a mindblowing experience? This is a topic about the best game of the year. I may not be able to accurately say how good/bad those games are, but it is crystal clear that they are NOT the best. Fear and CoD2, at least.

That statement is so flawed. YES, a game can be slow...I can see how if its THE WORST GAME EVER, half way through...I can't argue with that...But if all you play is a bit, or just the demo....Here read this:

shaithis: I would like to describe my experience with Deus Ex using a short, two-act play.

Act 1:

Fargo: Dude, you totally should try this Deus Ex game. It's pretty good.

shaithis: Eh... I saw it at E3 and it looked sort of crappy.

Fargo: It's not the best looking game ever but it's fun. Here, look, we have an extra copy. Try it. NOW.

shaithis: Ok, whatever.

shaithis installs Deus Ex and begins playing the first level

shaithis: THIS SUCKS! Why the crap are you making me play this? It's slow, and cumbersome, and confusing. I don't know what I'm doing! I can't figure this out! This is terrible.

Fargo: Just keep playing. Give it a chance.

shaithis: I curse you and your entire family for making me play this.

Fargo: Yeah, yeah. With the cursing and such. You cursed me and my entire family yesterday because the sandwich you bought at the food court had onions on it.

shaithis: Onions are disgusting.

One day passes.

shaithis: Okay, actually this game is pretty good.

Act 2:

shaithis has finished Deus Ex.

Fargo: So what did you think?

shaithis: It's the best PC game that's ever been made. Ever.

Fargo: So is the curse on me and my family removed?

shaithis: Hahahah ..... No.

Link: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/552/552075p11.html

And even with one of the worst first levels I've EVER PLAYED, even of games that came out like 5+ years before it, it went on to win almost every PC game of the year, and many Overall Game of year awards, and is arguably one of the top 5 greatest PC games of all time.

There are tons of games like this...No One Lives Forever 2 was slow for about the first half, and improved tonnes to be quite a good game. It too won several GOTY and PC GOTY awards.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg