Revitalizing Currency

Logdotzip

I frequent the threads on Tip.it and RSOF that concern high-end gear, rares, and expensive items in general. The more I browse, the better I understand how worthless "coins", or GP, really are... For high-end, expensive content, they are essentially a lesser currency used to build your way up to "rare" currency, like pumpkins or lower partyhats.

I see this as a problem.

So it made me think; what if RuneScape introduced different types of currency? And no, I don't mean Tokkul or Trading sticks (Though those could be put to better use as well). Actual currency that would be used in a similar way to the current coins... Taking a page from WoW and having, bronze, silver, gold, or whatever they have. Now the names could be different sure, but I think different tiered currency could actually help this game a lot.. It would of course take time and effort to properly assimilate into the game, and a lot of players would be against the update (but when aren't players against change?).

There is currently a pseudo-currency that is fairly underused, save for maybe the highly wealthy, and those are spirit shards. They are always worth 25 gold each, and now that you can sell them back to pet shop owners for full price, most wealthy hold a lot of their coins in spirit shards, since 2.1 billion spirit shards is over 50 billion coins. Even higher of a form of currency are shard packs... But all those things are not what I am getting at.

I feel if RuneScape introduced tiered currency, coins and currency in general could have and maintain a lot more uses. Certain items could be a specific type of currency, which could either by used solely to purchase something or in conjunction with other lower tiered currencies... No longer would players NECESSARILY have to deal with pumpkins and lower rares to purchase higher rares. How this could be implemented, I am unsure, it's why I am posting here, to gather opinions from intelligent people willing and that are open to new ideas and different approaches

I would also like to see better implementation of the current foreign currencies in RuneScape (listed below). I feel that the existing currencies apart from gold should be untradeable, except if new items are introduced that are ONLY purchaseable with said currency (IE a new obsidian drop that can ONLY be traded for tokkul). This leaves open the possibility of introducing gear to the game that could require multiple currencies from NPCs

For example, a very good helm that could require 5 million GP, 8 million SP (Silver Pieces, a thought up currency just for this example), 200k Tokkul, and 300k Trading sticks.

Items like this could encourage players to work for their gear by having to acquire new and existing currencies by doing the things needed in order to acquire them, whether it be through killing TzHaar, or by fixing the city in Tai Bwo Wannai.

This would also more than likely mean that there would need to be more ways of acquiring the new and existing types of foreign currency. I think Most or all uncultivated underground areas could be extended to use Tokkul, and the ENTIRE island of Karamja would use Trading sticks as its currency.

All of this would take a lot of careful planning, as well as excellent execution. That without even mentioning the obvious fact that it would take getting used to. But I feel that in the end it would eliminate a lot of the current problems with our essentially single-type currency that handles most of RuneScape's transactions.

The positives I see are as follows

More varied gameplay

With different forms of money available to players, it's going to be able to open up the doors for items that are only achievable through these forms of items. Want those Cool jungle gloves that let you do x? Dish out the trading sticks.

Crossing over two areas of the game

This is going to open up the possiblity of having items require multiple types of currency, as mentioned in the initial post. A unique item, be it functional or simply cosmetic, availible only to those who spent the time acquiring all sorts of different types of RuneScape money. It gives players something to work for, and does the following:

Renews interest in currently deserted areas of RuneScape

I can safely say for the most part that mostly no one does Tai Bwo Wannai cleanup except for the diaries or for a quest. Making something like that minigame a viable way of gaining trading Sticks, which would now be more useful, would make the game more popular and would rekindle interest in it. Something like new types of currency will "un-obsolete" old runescape areas.

Allow for more varied future updates

As mentioned before, most rewards are focused around GP. With different types of currencies availible, it's going to allow more varied rewards, perhaps offering a Tokkul incentive in lieu of a GP one.

Possible updates to acquiring these currencies

With an increased need for things like Tokkul or Fist of Guthix tokens, it will allow Jagex to make more game updates that focus on obtaining these items, giving more variety to the game

Currencies that could be implemented widespread into RuneScape (Might have missed some)

Coins

Tokkul

Trading Sticks

Dungeoneering Tokens

Warrior's Guild Tokens

Fist of Guthix Tokens

Pieces of Eight

Archery Tickets

Castle Wars Tickets

Give me your opinions.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but it seems as though you'd like some form of tiered currency to replace the whole trading rares and risings for other rares and risings thing?

How would this work? The reason the rare market exists at all is the stupid, pathetic, worthless price adjustment system for the GE that Jagex refuses to correct, making items worth hundreds of millions less than people are willing to pay (and other "junk" items having the opposite problem of unrealistically high GE prices). Introducing a shiny new kind of money that's directly related to normal gp wouldn't do a thing to stop that. How would the currencies work in a way that wouldn't make them treated just like the money we use now?

The idea of having to buy certain items with multiple currencies is interesting. I wouldn't mind if it were implemented well.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but it seems as though you'd like some form of tiered currency to replace the whole trading rares and risings for other rares and risings thing?

How would this work? The reason the rare market exists at all is the stupid, pathetic, worthless price adjustment system for the GE that Jagex refuses to correct, making items worth hundreds of millions less than people are willing to pay (and other "junk" items having the opposite problem of unrealistically high GE prices). Introducing a shiny new kind of money that's directly related to normal gp wouldn't do a thing to stop that. How would the currencies work in a way that wouldn't make them treated just like the money we use now?

The idea of having to buy certain items with multiple currencies is interesting. I wouldn't mind if it were implemented well.

That part of my suggestion was poorly worded, and I haven't really put much thought into it, but I always was under the impression that gold wasn't used primarily for rares because of how easy it is to obtain, exactly why these rares are worth so much gold (because gold is worthless at those levels of purchases). If there was a new form of currency worth more than the current GP, it would be more desirable to trade rares for the new currency instead of just adding junk.

Problem is, it's not that GP is too easy to obtain. Well, I mean, that's PART of the problem. The problem is twofold:

-GP is easy enough to obtain that people are willing to pay obscene amounts of it for rares.

-The GE is too stupid to let people pay obscene amounts of GP for rares.

But see, if we make a new currency and go "you can now trade in 10 GPs for a GP+," then people will still not be able to pay as many GP+ as people are willing to pay for rares. The only way it would work is a situation like GP+ costing 10gp but still only being 1gp GE value, letting people offer more value per GE price and thus balancing rare trades more easily.

That would require Jagex either completely falling asleep at the wheel or intentionally opening the door WIDE, WIDE open for RWT, though, so I'm thinking no. Simplest fix is to let the GE do its damn job and update more than once every 3 months on high end items.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Problem is, it's not that GP is too easy to obtain. Well, I mean, that's PART of the problem. The problem is twofold:

-GP is easy enough to obtain that people are willing to pay obscene amounts of it for rares.

-The GE is too stupid to let people pay obscene amounts of GP for rares.

But see, if we make a new currency and go "you can now trade in 10 GPs for a GP+," then people will still not be able to pay as many GP+ as people are willing to pay for rares. The only way it would work is a situation like GP+ costing 10gp but still only being 1gp GE value, letting people offer more value per GE price and thus balancing rare trades more easily.

That would require Jagex either completely falling asleep at the wheel or intentionally opening the door WIDE, WIDE open for RWT, though, so I'm thinking no. Simplest fix is to let the GE do its damn job and update more than once every 3 months on high end items.

Well of course there's no easy way to fix the rares mess we're currently in (save for just what you said [which wont happen]), but the rares market is a very low-key part of the economy when you look at the economy as a whole. I only focus on that in my initial post because I feel that this could be a way, when properly thought out, to fix the defunct market. Implementing more currencies and breathing life into existing ones opens up the door for many new items and goals and methods of doing things around RuneScape

Okay, so let's take out all those high end low key parts of the market. No rares, no spirit shields, no ultra rare TT items.

Wait, what defunct market?

Okay, so let's take out all those high end low key parts of the market. No rares, no spirit shields, no ultra rare TT items.

Wait, what defunct market?

Removing those from the game is a silly idea, nor is it one that would ever happen, not this far in anyways.

And that part of the market is what is defunct yes, the rest functions very well.

Still though, the main chunk of this discussion is to talk about the implementation and potential uses for different currency types. I don't want to dwell on the rares aspect anymore.

I didn't mean remove them from the game, I meant remove them from the discussion because you didn't seem to want to be responsible for this idea dealing with them. Which is fair enough, because it can't.

My question, then, is... what WILL it do? In your first post, the only advertised benefit you posted for adding tiered currency is, correct me if I'm wrong, "No longer would players NECESSARILY have to deal with pumpkins and lower rares to purchase higher rares." No other part of the post predicts any sort of specific benefit whatsoever, it's all "but I think different tiered currency could actually help this game a lot," and "coins and currency in general could have and maintain a lot more uses." What help? What uses?

In short, I'm curious what the idea actually is.

I didn't mean remove them from the game, I meant remove them from the discussion because you didn't seem to want to be responsible for this idea dealing with them. Which is fair enough, because it can't.

My question, then, is... what WILL it do? In your first post, the only advertised benefit you posted for adding tiered currency is, correct me if I'm wrong, "No longer would players NECESSARILY have to deal with pumpkins and lower rares to purchase higher rares." No other part of the post predicts any sort of specific benefit whatsoever, it's all "but I think different tiered currency could actually help this game a lot," and "coins and currency in general could have and maintain a lot more uses." What help? What uses?

In short, I'm curious what the idea actually is.

A few lines down I mention the idea of items that require different types of currencies to obtain. That pretty much encompasses it in terms of things that come to mind for ME. Currency is pretty much a single-use item, to exchange goods for it. I don't expect adding more types to necessarily revolutionize RuneScape, but it certainly could add more variety to the game and would encourage players to get it on their own to be able to get the new items, or repairs, or exchange rates, or anything of the sort. I posted here to get opinions and ideas from the other players, as the ideas I have are fairly limited in contrast to the hundreds and hundreds who browse the forums.

There are trading Sticks from Karamja as well, and good call on the Dungeoneering Tokens as well... Makes me wonder if Castle Wars tickets, Archery tickets, Warrior's guild tokens, etc., etc., could all be considered/implemented as currencies.

Would be interesting to see a Mega item that requires dung tokens, FOG tokens, CW tickets, Archery tickets, WG tokens, Tokkul, GP, and Trading Sticks to purchase.

EDIT: Made a list in the initial post, if I am missing any, please tell me.

I fail to see how currency has any issue here?

Yes people trade rare's for other rares; but its not altering the value. I mean people will trade coal when its around 300gp for nature runes at around 300gp

We already work hard for our gear anyways; I mean its not exactly easy to make 18mil to buy 1 piece of bandos or w/e.

And items already exist that require different currencies to get.

Obby items require tokkul if you want to buy them from the store, as they are sold by the thzaar who use tokkul.

MA outfits require MA reward credit.

Naval requires pieces of eight

Chaotic requires dungeoneering tokens.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes people trade rare's for other rares; but its not altering the value. I mean people will trade coal when its around 300gp for nature runes at around 300gp

We already work hard for our gear anyways; I mean its not exactly easy to make 18mil to buy 1 piece of bandos or w/e.

Obby items require tokkul if you want to buy them from the store, as they are sold by the thzaar who use tokkul.

Obby items are buyable for coins and are dropped

MA credits are literally only obtainable by offering items that need to be acquired through either drops, or just buying them with GP, and to not buy mind runes or w/e for credits is highly ineffective.

The other two are correct yes, but again, you missed my point entirely.

I am talking about implementing them widespread into the game itself, not just in their own little niche areas of Runescape.

And yeah, it's very easy to make 18 million coins in this game. Hell at level 11 summoning you can already make over 300k an hour. People just don't know the best ways to make GP.

So you want people to force to ask trading sticks for their partyhats, or you only want to introduce this for shop items? If just for shop items, I can see it working, cause nobody actually buys shop items frequently. It would be cool to make this new quest item a little harder to obtain than just dishing out 100k gold. Other than that, I think it's a terrible idea.

So you want people to force to ask trading sticks for their partyhats, or you only want to introduce this for shop items? If just for shop items, I can see it working, cause nobody actually buys shop items frequently. It would be cool to make this new quest item a little harder to obtain than just dishing out 100k gold. Other than that, I think it's a terrible idea.

No, I want them to have the option to be able to do it how things are currently, or for there to be some form of viable alternative if players don't feeling add dishing out tons of junk or risings for items they want.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point, whether it being my fault for perhaps not adequately explaining, or otherwise.

If more types of currency are implemented and circulated through the game, it doesn't take away from current game aspects, yet has potential to add many more types of game aspects.

Obby items are buyable for coins and are dropped

MA credits are literally only obtainable by offering items that need to be acquired through either drops, or just buying them with GP, and to not buy mind runes or w/e for credits is highly ineffective.

The other two are correct yes, but again, you missed my point entirely.

I am talking about implementing them widespread into the game itself, not just in their own little niche areas of Runescape.

And yeah, it's very easy to make 18 million coins in this game. Hell at level 11 summoning you can already make over 300k an hour. People just don't know the best ways to make GP.

I didn't miss any point.

I just disagree with you.

Currency is fine as it is and the market en-mass shouldn't be forced into using other currencies that are "harder" to get or w/e when coins are already plenty hard to get.

Yes there's plenty of good ways to make gp, but alot of them are overcrowded rendering them rubbish unless you're like maxed levels and others require some initial investment that not everyone has and others are jsut plain tedious to use unless its "your thing"

Edit: Judging by that last comment you think new currency is gonna some how magically stop junk trading? WRONG The only thing that will stop junk trading is Jagex meddling with the GE to jump all junk traded items ge value to their street value.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Okay, seriously, if you're not going to provide any sort of explanation for how you plan for this to replace/augment junk trading, stop bringing it up.

So far we've got "makes buying things from shops different." As far as it relates to trading between players, nobody would ever do that. You'd trade GP for the other currency for a set exchange rate when you need to use it to buy something off a shop, and that'd be that. No point confusing a trade for a party hat with a bunch of trading sticks that just trade on the exchange anyway.

Edit: chuckling at this idea that making 18m is hard.

Perhaps if both of you opened your eyes and saw a few posts above the one you continue to question you would notice I never claimed that new forms of currency would magically stop junk trading, I said they could possibly be a way to. Why do you think I posted on this forum? To gather opinions and ideas. You can disagree with me, fine, but if your one talking point is that single matter you continue to bring up, then you may as well leave the thread now, because this isn't a thread for close-minded. Christ.

Hence why I also noted it would be wise to make Trading sticks (irony here)... untradeable

Here's what's happening here. We're pressing you for potential uses for this concept and you're giving us nothing. You don't get to make the claim that new currency MIGHT stop junk trading unless you have some clue how that might happen. I can claim that making imps drop godswords every kill will help the economy, but that doesn't mean nobody is going to call me crazy.

Here's my challenge- provide a clear example of how your idea could benefit the game. Right now I've seen absolutely nothing but vague hand waving.

Perhaps if both of you opened your eyes and saw a few posts above the one you continue to question you would notice I never claimed that new forms of currency would magically stop junk trading, I said they could possibly be a way to. Why do you think I posted on this forum? To gather opinions and ideas. You can disagree with me, fine, but if your one talking point is that single matter you continue to bring up, then you may as well leave the thread now, because this isn't a thread for close-minded. Christ.

Hence why I also noted it would be wise to make Trading sticks (irony here)... untradeable

We have covered all you're points.

And you said

"or for there to be some form of viable alternative if players don't feeling add dishing out tons of junk or risings for items they want."

Paraphrased this says "a viable alternative to junk trading"

Since you are using this as an argument FOR your many currencies idea you are therefore saying

"Multiple currencies would make a viable alternative for junk trading" (or at least possibly would)

This is wrong. End of period.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Here's what's happening here. We're pressing you for potential uses for this concept and you're giving us nothing. You don't get to make the claim that new currency MIGHT stop junk trading unless you have some clue how that might happen. I can claim that making imps drop godswords every kill will help the economy, but that doesn't mean nobody is going to call me crazy.

Here's my challenge- provide a clear example of how your idea could benefit the game. Right now I've seen absolutely nothing but vague hand waving.

First off I would like to see you make a counterclaim how it could potentially harm the economy in any seriously damaging way? Imps dropping Godswords, wile obviously an exaggeration you used to prove your point, would have a negative impact. But I fail to see how making different types of money required to purchase or upgrade new sorts of gear is something negative. Harder yes, but why is harder bad? So think of a way this is a bad idea, while I post why it's a good idea, which I will edit in in a moment.

And Paw Claw, I keep mentioning it in my posts is because it's the only thing anyone else has even discussed on here, am I supposed to ignore what you guys are asking me about? It'd be like asking me about new weapons, but no one talks about anything but Dragon Claws, then having you get pissed at me for only replying about Dragon Claws!

The positives I see are as follows

More varied gameplay

With different forms of money available to players, it's going to be able to open up the doors for items that are only achievable through these forms of items. Want those Cool jungle gloves that let you do x? Dish out the trading sticks.

Crossing over two areas of the game

This is going to open up the possiblity of having items require multiple types of currency, as mentioned in the initial post. A unique item, be it functional or simply cosmetic, availible only to those who spent the time acquiring all sorts of different types of RuneScape money. It gives players something to work for, and does the following:

Renews interest in currently deserted areas of RuneScape

I can safely say for the most part that mostly no one does Tai Bwo Wannai cleanup except for the diaries or for a quest. Making something like that minigame a viable way of gaining trading Sticks, which would now be more useful, would make the game more popular and would rekindle interest in it. Something like new types of currency will "un-obsolete" old runescape areas.

Allow for more varied future updates

As mentioned before, most rewards are focused around GP. With different types of currencies availible, it's going to allow more varied rewards, perhaps offering a Tokkul incentive in lieu of a GP one.

Possible updates to acquiring these currencies

With an increased need for things like Tokkul or Fist of Guthix tokens, it will allow Jagex to make more game updates that focus on obtaining these items, giving more variety to the game

THERE are your points. Now show me how something like this wouldn't benefit RuneScape. I don't consider difficulty a bad thing.

Yes, I'm sure the only thing Jagex cares about when spending money on producing content is making sure that it won't affect the game negatively or positively. Nice, neutral content.

Meh. If this were to be implemented into the game I predict inflation... Most players aren't rich enough to worry about currency being an issue, so Jagex won't cater to rich players.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Erm no-one brought it up other than you.

People made points agaisnt YOUR idea, you brought it up, people made points agaisnt it.

You still haven't given us any logical concrete reasoning why multiple currencies would help ANYTHING.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Yes, I'm sure the only thing Jagex cares about when spending money on producing content is making sure that it won't affect the game negatively or positively. Nice, neutral content.

There are your points. I have yet to see any rebuttals as to why this could be a bad thing.