Revitalizing Currency

Logdotzip

Here's what's happening here. We're pressing you for potential uses for this concept and you're giving us nothing. You don't get to make the claim that new currency MIGHT stop junk trading unless you have some clue how that might happen. I can claim that making imps drop godswords every kill will help the economy, but that doesn't mean nobody is going to call me crazy.

Here's my challenge- provide a clear example of how your idea could benefit the game. Right now I've seen absolutely nothing but vague hand waving.

First off I would like to see you make a counterclaim how it could potentially harm the economy in any seriously damaging way? Imps dropping Godswords, wile obviously an exaggeration you used to prove your point, would have a negative impact. But I fail to see how making different types of money required to purchase or upgrade new sorts of gear is something negative. Harder yes, but why is harder bad? So think of a way this is a bad idea, while I post why it's a good idea, which I will edit in in a moment.

And Paw Claw, I keep mentioning it in my posts is because it's the only thing anyone else has even discussed on here, am I supposed to ignore what you guys are asking me about? It'd be like asking me about new weapons, but no one talks about anything but Dragon Claws, then having you get pissed at me for only replying about Dragon Claws!

The positives I see are as follows

More varied gameplay

With different forms of money available to players, it's going to be able to open up the doors for items that are only achievable through these forms of items. Want those Cool jungle gloves that let you do x? Dish out the trading sticks.

Crossing over two areas of the game

This is going to open up the possiblity of having items require multiple types of currency, as mentioned in the initial post. A unique item, be it functional or simply cosmetic, availible only to those who spent the time acquiring all sorts of different types of RuneScape money. It gives players something to work for, and does the following:

Renews interest in currently deserted areas of RuneScape

I can safely say for the most part that mostly no one does Tai Bwo Wannai cleanup except for the diaries or for a quest. Making something like that minigame a viable way of gaining trading Sticks, which would now be more useful, would make the game more popular and would rekindle interest in it. Something like new types of currency will "un-obsolete" old runescape areas.

Allow for more varied future updates

As mentioned before, most rewards are focused around GP. With different types of currencies availible, it's going to allow more varied rewards, perhaps offering a Tokkul incentive in lieu of a GP one.

Possible updates to acquiring these currencies

With an increased need for things like Tokkul or Fist of Guthix tokens, it will allow Jagex to make more game updates that focus on obtaining these items, giving more variety to the game

THERE are your points. Now show me how something like this wouldn't benefit RuneScape. I don't consider difficulty a bad thing.

Three of those reasons are more or less the same thing.

U mad bro?

Go make some more vids <3

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm no-one brought it up other than you.

People made points agaisnt YOUR idea, you brought it up, people made points agaisnt it.

You still haven't given us any logical concrete reasoning why multiple currencies would help ANYTHING.

Look at my 4th post in this thread, the one where it says I don't want to make this only about rares any more. Then you, bedman, and green go on to do exactly what I just asked not to happen, continue to ask about rares. So what do I do? I respond. Then you get angry that I keep talking about them? Perfect sense.

And Realize, grow up

Looking over your points... you do realize that different currencies with different rewards already exist, right? How is this anything new?

Your suggestion is not "add different currencies to the game," it's "make more items to buy with obscure currencies." To which I would say, okay. Kind of a vague suggestion, but I have no problem with that if that really is all you're suggesting.

It still will have absolutely nothing to do with rares, so I'm confused why you still seem to think that could be affected at all. I bring that up again because you still haven't admitted that your idea has nothing at all to do with the rares market.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

People made points agaisnt YOUR idea, you brought it up, people made points agaisnt it.

You still haven't given us any logical concrete reasoning why multiple currencies would help ANYTHING.

Look at my 4th post in this thread, the one where it says I don't want to make this only about rares any more. Then you, bedman, and green go on to do exactly what I just asked not to happen, continue to ask about rares. So what do I do? I respond. Then you get angry that I keep talking about them? Perfect sense.

And Realize, grow up

Erm I've re-read the entire first page.

No-one mentioned rares after you diverted from them, other than me in brief passing & Bedman in like his only post on the thread.

And you did in fact bring up junk trading before anyone else.

You're angry at us because you brought up junk trading and we questioned it?

Also yes you have posted reasons now for you're points, but they all boil down "draw people back to other currencies and give them more use" which is great but is a total diversion and ignoring of other points you previously brought up about junk trading etc that we questioned.

In that form of merely making other currencies more useful and drawing some attention back to them yes its a fine idea; as for your other spiel about fixing the market and junk trading its total rubbish.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

And Realize, grow up

Erm I've re-read the entire first page.

No-one mentioned rares after you diverted from them, other than me in brief passing & Bedman in like his only post on the thread.

And you did in fact bring up junk trading before anyone else.

You're angry at us because you brought up junk trading and we questioned it?

Also yes you have posted reasons now for you're points, but they all boil down "draw people back to other currencies and give them more use" which is great but is a total diversion and ignoring of other points you previously brought up about junk trading etc that we questioned.

In that form of merely making other currencies more useful and drawing some attention back to them yes its a fine idea; as for your other spiel about fixing the market and junk trading its total rubbish.

Please, point out where I said I knew how it could fix junk trading. I only ever said there's a chance, if done properly, by the company itself, that it could. If I knew how it could, don't you think I would have mentioned it? Green mentioned it as well after I said I wanted to move on, and while you say only 3 mentioned it, that is essentially the entirety of the thread.

You seem to be focusing a lot on this portion of the suggestion, which wasn't what I intended. You can either continue to dwell on that and ignore all other points I am trying to make, or maybe you can be a little more open-minded about what I am posing here.

And green, yeah, they do already have current uses, but what I am trying to say is to expand their uses beyond the current ones, and make them interact with each other, instead of acting as their own niche currency, only usable in one area of RuneScape.

I don't get why this is such a hard concept for you guys to wrap your heads around.

My head is fully wrapped around your very brief suggestion to add more items to buy with tokkull, trading sticks, etc. It's a valid suggestion that is neither interesting nor specific enough to discuss at all.

What my head is NOT wrapped around is how you STILL think you can sit here claiming that your idea has a chance at fixing junk trading like this is some sort of selling point, when you yourself apparently have no concept of how that portion of the economy even WORKS.

I only ever said there's a chance, if done properly, by the company itself, that it could.

This. Stop it. No, there is not a chance, because trading sticks are completely unrelated to the rares market. As long as you keep pretending it might be, you are not dropping the subject and it's ridiculous to expect that everyone else will.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

I really don't see how having different currencies would affect the rare items market in any way. I agree with Green - it's the GE that's the problem, not the artificial currencies. However, it would be cool to see Tokkul and trading sticks become more integrated in the game, just not for any reasons related to rares.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If you don't want to be questioned on certain issues you should not bring them up and should remove them from the opening post.

We are perfectly entitled to bring up things you have mentioned, you can't jsut say "oh I don;t want to be questioned about that bit anymore" because you can't give any real answers.

And you brought up junk trading and said you're idea MIGHT fix it so yes it is YOUR job to tell us how or not to even claim it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My head is fully wrapped around your very brief suggestion to add more items to buy with tokkull, trading sticks, etc. It's a valid suggestion that is neither interesting nor specific enough to discuss at all.

What my head is NOT wrapped around is how you STILL think you can sit here claiming that your idea has a chance at fixing junk trading like this is some sort of selling point, when you yourself apparently have no concept of how that portion of the economy even WORKS.

I only ever said there's a chance, if done properly, by the company itself, that it could.

This. Stop it. No, there is not a chance, because trading sticks are completely unrelated to the rares market. As long as you keep pretending it might be, you are not dropping the subject and it's ridiculous to expect that everyone else will.

To think you seem to know inside and out how to fix this portion off the market comes off as very conceited. I dare say you know jack about it either, I don't see you coming up with any ideas other than "FIX THE GE", which is what everyone else spews out on a daily basis. I will not stand down on my point that there is a chance for it to be implemented, WHICH IS WHY I POSTED THIS, to gather ideas from optimistic posters <Profanity Removed>. Obviously there aren't any of those to be found at this hour, so I will be going to sleep, and hopefully someone a little more optimistic will have posted by the time I wake up.

To think you seem to know inside and out how to fix this portion off the market comes off as very conceited. I dare say you know jack about it either, I don't see you coming up with any ideas other than "FIX THE GE", which is what everyone else spews out on a daily basis. I will not stand down on my point that there is a chance for it to be implemented, WHICH IS WHY I POSTED THIS, to gather ideas from optimistic posters <Profanity Removed>. Obviously there aren't any of those to be found at this hour, so I will be going to sleep, and hopefully someone a little more optimistic will have posted by the time I wake up.

Yes stand by your view.

But when questioned you need to give actual reasons.

No-one has refused you're view we have only QUESTIONED elements of it.

And in return we have been flamed, cussed at and told to not talk about certain parts of you're idea.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

To think you seem to know inside and out how to fix this portion off the market comes off as very conceited. I dare say you know jack about it either, I don't see you coming up with any ideas other than "FIX THE GE", which is what everyone else spews out on a daily basis. I will not stand down on my point that there is a chance for it to be implemented, WHICH IS WHY I POSTED THIS, to gather ideas from optimistic posters<Profanity Removed>. Obviously there aren't any of those to be found at this hour, so I will be going to sleep, and hopefully someone a little more optimistic will have posted by the time I wake up.

Yes stand by your view.

But when questioned you need to give actual reasons.

No-one has refused you're view we have only QUESTIONED elements of it.

And in return we have been flamed, cussed at and told to not talk about certain parts of you're idea.

Using a swear is highly different than directing it at someone. And excuse me for being upset that all you two seem to respond to me about is something I said I don't have the answer to. I'm not going to suddenly form an answer if you continue to ASK me something I don't know. It wasn't my only view, which you seem to be stuck on.

Bed awaits.

Dude, you're like the stereotypical boss that doesn't understand how his company works but likes to pretend he does.

"I want new currencies to fix the rare market, but I don't know how. Somebody figure it out."

"That's impossible."

"U HAV UR HEAD UP UR ASS </RAGEQUIT>"

It doesn't count as a suggestion if you only think of the half that takes no effort or thought and then tell everyone else to fill in the details. You can tell me I have my head up my ass all I want, but YOU are the one making random claims that you can't back up.

I can explain exactly why fixing the GE to update more than once every 3 months (seriously, look at the 180 day graph on divine spirit shields. 3. Goddamn. Months.) would fix the market. See, what happens is, Jagex puts in whatever the hell price they feel like when an item comes out. Then, people realize the price is invariably bogus and either offer min or max constantly until the price reaches something stable. The only problem is, divine spirit shields have always been and continue to be extremely sought after items, with people willing to pay over 1 billion coins for one. The GE price being around half that, there's no way anybody wants to trade them there. Since the GE price is perpetually stuck, nobody has any way to buy a divine except by trading with other items with horribly broken prices on the GE to make it somewhat even.

There. See what I did? I proposed a solution to a problem, and then I used facts and logic to support my assertion that my idea will actually solve the problem. That is how suggesting things works.

Erm given we have both commented on ALL aspects of the idea I fail to see us being "stuck" on anything.

And as I said several times before:

If you CANNOT answer questions on it and CANNOT back it up don't post it.

Half the stuff you've said you don;t have answers for is part of your opening post, go back edit these bits out; you can't just claim things as part of your suggestion unless you can back them up with logic and reason.

I mean I can't post an idea saying:

"Jagex should add a quest about hedgehogs. It might stop junk trading"

Then just get angry at people for questioning the junk trading bit because I have no justification for it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Again, you continue to focus on a single part of my thread, and you continue to disregard the rest of it. What don't you see about this.

If it was that easy to do, I think it would have been done already by Jagex. There have been prices corrections before. There are a lot of underlying things behind this that I am sure that most of the general RS populace doesn't see in the same way the developers do

Now, FFS, how about you stop focusing on the absolute SMALLEST part of my thread for longer than 10 minutes.

And I did edit the original post, take the time to go see, you'll notice some additions and omissions

AND SERIOUSLY, BED THIS TIME. I have work in 5 hours.

Again, you continue to focus on a single part of my thread, and you continue to disregard the rest of it. What don't you see about this.

If it was that easy to do, I think it would have been done already by Jagex. There have been prices corrections before. There are a lot of underlying things behind this that I am sure that most of the general RS populace doesn't see in the same way the developers do

Now, FFS, how about you stop focusing on the absolute SMALLEST part of my thread for longer than 10 minutes.

And I did edit the original post, take the time to go see, you'll notice some additions and omissions

AND SERIOUSLY, BED THIS TIME. I have work in 5 hours.

"I feel if RuneScape introduced tiered currency, coins and currency in general could have and maintain a lot more uses. Certain items could be a specific type of currency, which could either by used solely to purchase something or in conjunction with other lower tiered currencies... No longer would players NECESSARILY have to deal with pumpkins and lower rares to purchase higher rares. How this could be implemented, I am unsure, it's why I am posting here, to gather opinions from intelligent people willing and that are open to new ideas and different approaches"

This is still in there however and you cannot back this up of justify it.

And we HAVE covered other parts of your idea.

If you go back we've both agreed with most of the other elements you posted. This one only continues to come up because you refuse to justify it or drop it; instead opting to rage at us for politely and legitimately questioning part of you're idea.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

As I've said over and over, I know that your main suggestion is to add (undefined) items that can be bought with non GP stuff. This is okay except that it's not really a suggestion because it's SO vague. There's nothing to say. Think of some items and we can have something to talk about.

Since you clearly don't know a damn thing about junk trading, I don't know what makes you so qualified to discount the commonly accepted way to solve junk trading once and for all. Go learn simple economics, particularly pertaining to artificial prices (like in the context of government mandated price floors/ceilings) and see how it works out in real life. Then come back and tell me that simple economic concepts don't explain EXACTLY why the GE is failing right now and that fixing it to update faster wouldn't solve everything. If you're completely ignorant of everything about the subject, what the hell makes you think you're qualified to judge anything?

How would the new currencies fit with the fixed ge prices? Will it be some system as with repairing your rapier, where you either pay cash up front, or special currency + less gp. You do realise that people will just analyse which option is better and completely dismiss the other option? Another question I'd like to bring up is on how the prices would fluctuate. Will the gp/special currency ratio stay the same, or fluctuate? On what basis will it fluctuate? I really can't see Jagex making this right. In fact, they would probably completely screw it over, looking back at their past experience of dealing with the market.

I don't think the problem is as you say it is. It is more simple, twofold.

1.) The GE doesn't reflect true price

2.) The current money limit is too low.

Jagex could also just change it so that the money limit is higher, would take some work w/ java though.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Actually, some other MMOs have 2 types of currency.

One currency is made in game.

The other is bought or redeemed at the company store.

This is one strategy to combat RWT by simply undercuting the gold companies and driving them out of business.

I have seen on one game where you can literally buy the company currency with the in-game currency and then redeem it for free membership.

Thereby, rich, longstanding high level players always play for free while the poor new play spends more real $$ to make headway in the game.

Not so sure I like that to be honest but I could see rares being traded openly for free memberships.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I don't think the problem is as you say it is. It is more simple, twofold.

1.) The GE doesn't reflect true price

2.) The current money limit is too low.

Jagex could also just change it so that the money limit is higher, would take some work w/ java though.

Well, with tiered currency, the limit could still be 2.147billion. But you could have GP for base currency, and then every 100 gp could be transferred into a "superGP" or whatever, that was still usable in the GE. This would then allow players to hold 2.147Bil "superGP" in addition to 2.147Bil GP. Effectively raising the the max cash limit by 101x.

pere_grin.png

I agree with Paw Claw with the fact that the only way to stop junk trading is for Jagex to manipulate the G.E. price to the items street price.

I have personally noticed whenever an item goes up to its invisible price tag or street price; it soon becomes buyable on the G.E. and soon afterwards, crashes big time.

Having different currencies would be a bit awkward like bronze + silver coins etc. if you were to suggest more currencies like tokkul and trading sticks for example, then Id be all for it. Id love to camp at a monster with an opportunity to make tons of that currency which I could in turn, trade in for a nice item. Prime example onyx gem. I probably wouldnt support bronze + silver coins though.

2vuhgcn.png

Would only work if there are 2 GE's, one dealing with the regular GP and one with the other currency, and by having some items only be traded through the Gold GE, some other items only through the other GE, and some items availabkle through both... Alching and thieving and shops would also be yielding/accepting said curreny's (one, other, or both)... It would change the game too radically, without knowing what the result would be (how do you decide if a Hilt coins shares for GP or SP?)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

New currencies would have no effect on rares market....YET. I am going to go out on a limb and defend the OP just a little bit.

If say in 4 years, GE values phats and other high end items at 1.9B gold, then there might be some way to counter that by having diamond pieces where the exchange rate is (1 diamond piece = 1000 gold pieces). Therefore, GE can say that blue phat is worth 1.9M diamond pieces. That is the only scenario that I can think of, where new currencies might help in adding liquidity to the rares market.

And of course, I've been preaching this forever as well...FIX THE GE's update mechanism!

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

There already has been a great opportunity of implementing this system. It was called Statuettes. It's a shame, they could've made PvP only armours (Using PvP currency, for special armours that could have a constitution boost, or some other fancy effect) but instead, they caused inflation.

It's funny, some of the reason why Partyhats and other rares remain so high is because they are traded for manipulation junk, not the old kind of junk (maple longbow (u)'s).

I don't think Tokkul/Trading sticks, or any other kind of currency will work at all. They won't be viable methods of obtaining said currency, and if we can trade gold for it, what's the point?

Oh, and seeing as this thread is based on rares, an arguable solution would be make the GE update prices faster on items that aren't very equal on supply/demand.