Your Media/Music Library - Organize it?

Cars066

How do you organize your media (mostly music) library? As opposed to begging for help fixing my heck-hole of a library, I'd rather start a conversation and perhaps glean something useful. I, as many, got an iPod at one point in time, and had to convert all my music media that was .wma to m4a... and now I'm left with duplicates of both versions. Beyond that, duplicates of so many different songs from different sources, CD's, downloads, friends, and so on that make my 60 gigs of music more like 45 of real, original songs.

TL;DR, our music libraries are a mess. how to clean this?

EDIT: Using MediaMonkey Gold, with Sony Vaio E-Series laptop, E-Series mp3, and sennheiser HD205 cans

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

When you don't know yourself

What happens when you click this? (Post pic if you want.)

42342.png

As for me, I'm an organized person already, so I try to keep my files as neat as possible. Everytime I put new songs into my library, I make sure they have the correct artist, album, album art, etc. attached to them so I do not have to sort them down the road.

Unfortunately, my 6.73GB doesn't compare to your 45GB, so... I suppose you could just organize little by little each day. Eventually you'll get there?

: \

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately in my case) I no longer use iTunes. I have a generic mp3 'cause I'm a bit of an audiophile and dislike the way iTunes works... But I can tell you i'd have a few thousand duplicates... unfortunately. Too many to delete by hand.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

What program do you use to keep your music?

Ahaha, this is going in as an edit:

Here's whats going on... MediaMonkey Gold, Sony E-Series mp3, Sony E-Series Vaio Laptop, sennheiser HD205 'phones.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

This is a good coincidence, I just bought an iPod (classic 160gb) last week and have spent every waking moment since then trying to organize my music. I just finished a few moments ago getting all the file names/paths uniform, now I get to fix the tags... It is taking a while since I have a little over 19,000 songs (115gb).

I have my file structure hierarchy like this (dedicated 250gb hdd called Music) "Music (E:)\artist\AlbumYear - AlbumTitle\DiscNumber\TrackNumber - TrackTitle". So Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb would be: "E:\Pink Floyd\1979 - The Wall\Disc 2\06 - Comfortably Numb.mp3"

With the proper folder structure and naming convention you should be able to get all the info you need without tags if they don't have them or a device doesn't use them correctly. But I want my iPod to display everything correctly, so I am going to go through and check the ID3v2 tags for every single song and fill it in correctly, then re-import my songs into iTunes, then connect my iPod. That way all the info is correct.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

All my music is on its own partition - J:\mp3

I have 26 folders named ‘a’ through ‘z’, and one named bullpen.

In folder ‘a’ you would find all the artists beginning with a - Aerosmith, Bryan Adams (last name), Atlanta Rhythm Section, etc.

I rename all my mp3s as artist.' - '.song title, i.e. Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.mp3.

Any new downloads I get go into bullpen, from which I rename to my format and then move them manually and add to iTunes.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

E:\Media\Audio\Albums\Artist\<album_name>\[disk\]artistName_albumName_[disc_]trackNum_trackTitle

E:\Media\Audio\Compilations\<compilation_name>\

E:\Media\Audio\Soundtracks

And I'll finish this later. From the general look of things.. it's organized a bit too well.

E:\Media\Audio\Albums\Artist\<album_name>\[disk\]artistName_albumName_[disc_]trackNum_trackTitle

E:\Media\Audio\Compilations\<compilation_name>\

E:\Media\Audio\Soundtracks

And I'll finish this later. From the general look of things.. it's organized a bit too well.

So you are the reason I have to rename underscores to spaces all the time... :smile:

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg