Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 14th November 2010 (Writing Contest Winners)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Unretired Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,389 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Cowman_133
You can personally PM me things you feel are wrong with the times.

Sire_Mark_II
[ Display Name History ]

Sire_Mark_II

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Simark
  • Clan:Hitmen of Honor

So I think this entire situation is getting stale. Every week these topics turn into some big flame war which takes away from the actual discussion that should be had here: the content of the articles this week.

Effective immediately, the following policy is put into place on Times Discussion topics.

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of this post, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

Cowman_133
Tip.It Administrator

Rule changes are going to require greater policing efforts by forum mods to remove posts, they won't do much by themselves to reduce the flaming and arguing that takes place. You can only hope for maturity and mutual respect among posters. That said I have been wondering lately why there are not two threads started each week, one for the fictional articles and one for non-fictional. It seems that the responses an author would want would vary depending on what kind of article it is. I've seen several posts by fictional authors thanking people who showed appreciate of their work but also specifically asking for criticism so that they might improve as well. On the other hand the featured and accompanying articles would seem to be meant to start debates and discussions about the topic brought up.

There would be a lot less of the "I never read the/not interested in.." as posters would only be reading and replying to a thread specific to the type of article that they do read. And while this week doesn't seem to have a great deal of posts there have been times in the past where one particular article creates such a heated conversation that the others may be ignored and a little separation would help reduce the chances of someone's article being swamped. Lastly it would be a lot easier for people to keep their posts more specific per thread with only one or two articles to discuss at a time. As such, not having to do what I am about to! :mrgreen:

On topic

First Article: I see nothing at all wrong with Jagex supporting a team whose primary role is to develop interactive activities among its player base. I'd say it's a good thing, though I haven't actually participated in anything yet. That's usually due to scheduling conflicts, but those same conflicts have kept me out of Tip.It activities. Speaking of the latter I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to plug Tip.It Events. Would have supported your point of player created activities. Overall communication could be better, but then I think that can always be said. Jagex is definitely superior to the other MMO development teams I've experienced in keeping players informed of what is coming up, as well as frequently trying to implement player ideas into what is still their game.

Article 2: I'm curious about how the article you read suggests people will experience deafness due to possibly decreased voice communication with other people. I can't imagine the brain forgetting how to interpret sounds. There's always something to hear. Forgetting a spoken language seems likewise unlikely with television, movies, and music. Heck there's even some voices in Runescape now! And while I personally despise texting I doubt it has significantly decreased speech communication but rather encouraged people to communicate more often in shorter "bursts." In other words, a person would probably still call up a friend or date to talk about specific plans, and use text messages as a way to get a short point across. For example: "Game starts at 8." Simple reminder assuming the person knows what the game is, where it is and such. Longramble may have had some difficulties with speech after a prolonged period of time without talking to anyone, but I doubt we're headed in that direction in anyway.

Article 3: I hate to be one of many but to me there just isn't really enough yet to get a good feel for the story. Can't really comment about corrections otherwise, I think those have been pretty much covered.

Article 4: Two parts to this so far right? Everything seems to be flowing well, I'm tracking the story and enjoying it. Every once in a while there's a mention I don't recognize and I'm not sure if it's because I've simply forgotten some part of Relleka or if it's because I haven't gotten around to doing the last quest yet. Overall, watch for those minor mistakes that have already been covered in this thread and I look forward to the next article. Hopefully I'll have knocked out that last quest by then too! =P~

Fallacy
[ Display Name History ]

Fallacy

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • RSN:Secrecy
I think people are missing the reason of the first article. It was to discuss the lack of communication, not whether RS should have events.

I loved that article, I now find that i'm not just a complaining, unhappy, veteran of the game.. It's very refreshing to know other players feel the same way- that Jagex has some serious revamping of their communication. The author brought to example the climbing boots update. I would like to discuss a different one though. The skillcape update. I obviously started a thread when Jagex shortened all male Skillcapes to complain. But was there any-- Oh don't worry everybody we'll bring the length and size back ASAP? Absolutely not! At least I never found a post by any Mod explaining. At that point i didnt even try. I just gave up on Jagex as the author of the article said players would. So what? Big deal? It was like an inch.. That's what some moron told me in a Slayer cc i visted. And thats what a lot of ignorant players will say to the upcoming updates of Jagex. The point wasn't the length or because my already tiny skill image had been cropped. The point was at that moment i wondered if Jagex Studios had been moved to North Korea because it felt like a dictatorship. (No offense to any Koreans, I love you guys) Now i get very excited over new updates so i don't want anyone getting the wrong message. What i hate is when i log on and the "update" just changed something else which should never have been touched and all because the lack of a 13 lettered word named C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N. And when they really mess up they patch it up eventually. WE DON'T WANT PATCHES WE WANT ACCOUNTABLILITY! (that one's 15 lettered ;))

I applaud the efforts made with the polls. but lets face it, the polls are incorrectly utilized.

Anyone seen what the poll is this week? If you haven't go check it. Does anyone really care how many times people change their name? Does anyone really care how many times they've changed their name? --This is an example of a terrible poll which sadly doesnt even come close to it's fan site's polls...
like Tip.it... (brownie points?)

Anyways the basics i would tell to anyone that is new to Jagex's communication system is. 1. know that for right now Jagex doens't seem to care about what you think. 2. post something that will probably never be taken into consideration (have we ever heard of a player's idea making it into the game? Honestly there have been some pretty good ones..).
3. continue to log on and find all the lovely suprises they have in store for us. :)

Sincerely,
Fallacy

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

What i hate is when i log on and the "update" just changed something else which should never have been touched and all because the lack of a 13 lettered word named C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N. And when they really mess up they patch it up eventually. WE DON'T WANT PATCHES WE WANT ACCOUNTABLILITY! (that one's 15 lettered ;))

Well, depends how you spell it I guess...

I'm not sure how you would put accountability into a company like Jagex, moreover, I dislike the way you try and speak for all of us. I pay them a price for the game, but beyond that, I'm not sure I should have any say in what Jagex do. When I go into a clothes store in town, I don't sit there and demand they put in a certain line or brand. If I don't like what they got, I move onto the next store. That's business, and last I checked, Jagex are a company, not a political party or a public council.

Whatever poll Jagex puts on the RuneScape website, the users can give whatever answers they like. Jagex aren't obliged to do whatever their players tell them to.

deacon377
[ Display Name History ]

deacon377

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • RSN:Deacon377

Whatever poll Jagex puts on the RuneScape website, the users can give whatever answers they like. Jagex aren't obliged to do whatever their players tell them to.

And this is what a lot of jagex's actions boil down to, it's an undeniable fact that they, the folks at jagex feel "It's our game, we're going to do what whatever we need to in the interest of profit and continued subscriptions."

One dead horse I'd like to beat for a little while longer; the Grand exchange implementation.
At the time, Jagex was battling a multifaceted war effort against gold sales, gold spammer, account scamming/hacking, and many other issues related to free trade.

No matter how many polls were set up to ask "Well, how would you react if we killed free trade" the answer would've always been a zealously pertinently and brutal "NO."
Jagex, nor the players had any choice in the matter.
Since then I've seen a few different changes, updates and various implementations that weren't announced, nothing huge, but nonetheless there. This tells me that jagex is trying to do what's best for profit but also the player.
Nothing can be given without something being taken, and in this case it's a few examples of something being taken from the player to insure the future playability of the game for both future profit and players.

Whatever reason the climbing boots went up in price, or the skill capes shortened and the images shrunk slightly, I'm sure there was a reason for it; a valid reason.

I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!

Sire_Mark_II
[ Display Name History ]

Sire_Mark_II

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • RSN:Simark
  • Clan:Hitmen of Honor

2. post something that will probably never be taken into consideration (have we ever heard of a player's idea making it into the game? Honestly there have been some pretty good ones..).

Player houses, summoning, garounteed content at holliday events, clan support.... And more if I took the time to look it up. We're not the ones responsible for shaping this game, we're just supposed to play it if we want to. The communication that we do get is a bonus and unless every player suddenly becomes a developer for Jagex then our ideas are just a drawing board for them to take into consideration of they want. That's the way all games are yet in my experience Jagex has gone further than most to appeal to the player base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users