Im buying a new PC

TheWilch

Hi, im sure you tech-vets get sick of us tech-noobs asking what kind of PCs we should get, but im clueless and i feel like the people at tip.it always deliver the best and quickest answers to my questions so here it goes.

The only thing i do on my PC is runescape and multimedia (videos and music). I currently have a Dell dimension 2400 from probably 2002ish HAH. i know i have a intel pentium 4 processor and ive also had to install another 1G chip of memory into it so i could play runescape at a decent pace but other then that my computer is seriously out of date.

Now the problem is im also out of date with the knowledge of computers, so il make it easy on you guys and just post the deals im looking at.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?avt=Usage&avtsub=performance&~ck=supertab-performance#ViewByTabs

Im taking advantage of the upcoming deals on computers this week. Id like to be able to play runescape on HD with as minimal lag as possible, id like it to be fast with downloads, ripping, and all that good stuff. my buget is within $600. Id like to get a dell since they have never really failed me. I dont really need the best but yet i dont want to settle for the cheapest and the deals may get better see'ing as the black friday adds havent came out yet.

id really appreciate the help.

If I were you I'd stay away from Dell. As you may have seen with your computer, older Dell were very good computers, but for the last few years, they've been having a high failure rate, and they break easily. That's the price of having good service: very cheap parts in the computer. The best choice and usually the less expensive one is getting parts and building the computer, but in your case it would probably be someone in a computer shop. I can check for computers if you like or parts if you decide so. Do you live in the US?

Are you looking to build one or get a prebuilt?

If you aren't comfortable building one, I'm think there are places that will build it for you if you give them the parts. Building is normally quite a bit cheaper for the same specs, or you could spend the same and get better specs. Either way, you should definitely consider buying parts individually and then assembling yourself/getting someone to assemble it for you.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147367

Pretty good value for your money.

Edit: Or yes, get a list of components and check what your local store would charge.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147367

Pretty good value for your money.

Edit: Or yes, get a list of components and check what your local store would charge.

That's pretty amazing value for money, if OP wants to get that it will last a while (technically)

@OP

I know you said that building one is a bit out of your comfort zone, but it will be cheaper, even with the cost of having someone else assemble it (most local computer stores will help). All I'm saying is you should maybe give it another thought.

On the topic of prebuilts, I'll have a look around.

Edit: this looks quite good. This one has a graphics card rather than an integrated graphics card, which is more important than having 2GB more of ram and a 1tb harddrive (which you probably won't use all of), and its $70 cheaper.

Probably a good idea to have a look at a few other pc's before buying though. You're going to want 4-6GB of ram and either a dual core processor with >2.6Ghz, or a quad with >2.4Ghz, I would go with a dual core really. You almost defiantly want a graphics card (as opposed to any kind of integrated graphics card). Steer clear of anything that says 'intel' in the graphics section.

RIP TET

original.png

@guy I've avoided listing those cyberpower, ibuypower etc brands since i've heard a few complaints here and there about them.

I would choose quad, they aren't that much more expensive than a decent dual. Integrated the graphics may be on my listed computer, but they are good enough for what he wants.

-

@wilch: For your need you don't need to spend extra money on a cpu which in your case wouldn't make any different since you don't need high game performance, rendering or whatever.

AMD cpu are always good when your on a low-mid budget.

• 2 weeks later...

Dual core and Intel graphics, no thanks.

I was waiting for this. Intel's dual cores destroy AMD's quad cores for a living. Not only do you get a higher clock rate, you also get hyper-threading for when you are running multiple applications. Intel's processors constantly destroy AMDs processors at even clocks, and with this one you get a considerably faster clock. Assuming the most multitasking you will be doing at one time is browsing the web and playing music, the Intel Core i3 will perform far better.

As for the graphics, it's Intel HD graphics, not the old GMA graphics. They will run 1080p fine and be able to max Runescape no problem.

HT looks nice in theory and in specific tests, but not 'irl'.

i3 does not "destroy" x4 8, in games they are equal since still not too many are optimized for multicore. I would use "destroy" if it was 50% faster in every application or something, but it's not.

Personally i'd get the one i posted compared to that gateway.

I think this happens in every thread: AMD vs Intel, nVidia Vs ATI... C'mon guys, there's a time and place. BUT AMD/nVidia ROCKS.... Who said that? 8-)

So what is the up-most you can spend on this build? I would highly advise buying the components and getting someone more familiar with building computers to do the work for you. Even with a small labour fee for them to do it would still give you either a better computer for your money, or saves money on a decent computer.

Rule number 1: Don't buy components off e-bay.

Rule number 2: Make sure you have everything. Here's a list of what you will need: Motherboard, Processor, RAM, Hard drive, DVD drive, PSU, graphics card, case, sound card (as you're into Music, I'm assuming you would like higher quality sound in comparison to a standard onboard card), network card/wireless card (if you're running a wireless network, or a high speed LAN - if not, onboard will be fine) and then it's just all your peripherals if you require them - mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, mousemat, etc.

Rule number 3: Shop around, if you find one thing which your heart is set on buying, don't settle for the first one you see. It's guarenteed to be cheaper elsewhere. I'm from the UK, so I'm not entirely familiar with all the sites over in the US, but I'm sure some of the guys on the forum will help you with that. :)

Rule number 4: Make sure the person who builds your machine knows what they're doing. If they have a slight doubt in anything; get someone else to do it. Building a computer is as simple as pie once you've done it a couple of times - giving it to the wrong person could end in disaster and a big hole in your pocket.

So yeah, post your budget and I'll whip up a quick list for you. I'll even be fair and do an ATI/Intel setup AND an AMD/nVidia setup. (Just to clarify, I know they don't have to go together, but I think they work best together from past experience).

w00t.

New sig to come!

It's about different types of processors, not the old "brand x" debate.

In a custom build for this price I would go for AMD, but the Gateway is a better deal. You could buy a $50 low power video card if the HD graphics are a problem, but from experience they aren't as bad as people claim.

The i3 has a higher clock, I can dig up the comparison charts but i believe every core iX beats the AMD equivalent at equal clocks.

Sorry but I agree with Joe, that Gateway is not the way to go. The HP computer he posted was a really good choice for the OP. Recommending an i3 for Runescape is just sort of worthless really, he would get a lot more out of a better video card than a slightly better CPU. (due to bottleneck issues and all that).

I don't really know how GPU intensive runescape "HD" is these days but I'm almost certain that an onboard Intel HD card is not the proper answer. Also expecting the OP to go through the trouble of getting his own card to put in there (especially because you than have to worry about if the PSU is powerful enough and other issues) really doesn't fit with what he wants.

So yeah it doesn't matter if the CPU is better, thats not what the point was.

Sorry but I agree with Joe, that Gateway is not the way to go. The HP computer he posted was a really good choice for the OP. Recommending an i3 for Runescape is just sort of worthless really, he would get a lot more out of a better video card than a slightly better CPU. (due to bottleneck issues and all that).

I don't really know how GPU intensive runescape "HD" is these days but I'm almost certain that an onboard Intel HD card is not the proper answer. Also expecting the OP to go through the trouble of getting his own card to put in there (especially because you than have to worry about if the PSU is powerful enough and other issues) really doesn't fit with what he wants.

So yeah it doesn't matter if the CPU is better, thats not what the point was.

While I completely agree with your post, he is correct in that Intel HD graphics should be able to run Runescape HD without any problem.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

If I were you I'd stay away from Dell. As you may have seen with your computer, older Dell were very good computers, but for the last few years, they've been having a high failure rate, and they break easily. T

My current machine is a dell, I've had no problems.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

If I were you I'd stay away from Dell. As you may have seen with your computer, older Dell were very good computers, but for the last few years, they've been having a high failure rate, and they break easily. T

My current machine is a dell, I've had no problems.

^My old computer was a dell and my family's computer is a dell, no problems there. One thing I would note about dell is they use BTx motherboards/PSU's, which is a pain if you ever try to buy a new case etc.

RIP TET

original.png

i figured id post to let you guys know what i got and for the mods to close this whenever they feel the need to.

for alittle over $500 i purchased a Dell inspiron 580, i5 core, 750GB hardrive and 4Gs of RAM. im going to assume i have an intel graphics card but like i said, RS is the only game i play so graphics isnt a big deal. So far its a huuuge step-up from my 1G pc from 2002 lol. I can actually watch HD videos and play RS on HD....AT THE SAME TIME :roll:

not to mention uploading videos and music is like minute process instead of a hour long adventure.

but thanks guys, appriciate the help.

Newer Dells fail pretty often, old Dells were the best computers. Your computer is likely to fail in the next 4 months from what I see by experience. If it doesn't then you're good to go.

Of course it's going to be a hell of a step up from a 2002 computer, but you could've got much better than that.