RuneScape: A Broken Game?

HexiledRazz

Lately i've been looking through a lot of general discussion threads here on TIF, and i've seemed to derive one fact that people generally agree on: RuneScape is indeed, a broken game.

Now when i say "Broken game" i mean that it was never planned for RuneScape itself to actually come this far as a MMO. I don't really think Jagex thoroughly thought out expansion plans. And i've seen a lot of others share this opinion as well.

I'll take the weapon damage complaint as an example. Three years ago when i would play a game of castle wars, i was set with a a basic setup: torags, rune defender, glory, and my trusty whip. Grouped with a half of inventory of bandages, i could survive attacks from level 120s+ pretty well whilst my combats were only in the 70-70-70 range. While i normally wouldn't win the fight, i could stall them for a good minute or so before i died.

But now, we have so many items that overload the basic combat system that we once had. Chaotics, overloads, extremes, turmoil, armadyl godswords, dragon claws, ect. It's obvious that the average player in the 100+ range has at least one, if not more of these items or abilities.

Some people might say "Well, it makes combat take more skill."

No. It doesn't. The fact is, that we have obtained more ways to dish our higher damage faster, and no upgrades to defense or constitution to counter-balance it. Fights can be over in mere seconds without much luck if the attacker does everything right. If you want to call that a fight in the first place...

Basically, in the last five years, there hasn't been any major update to the armor we wear. Barrows still holds the title of the most practical and useful armor.

With weapons? We keep getting more and more over-powered weapons that can slit the throats of the the most heavily clad tanks in mere seconds. And yet, we're still stuck with 990 measly lifepoints, and an average of +200 defense bonuses.

But... I digress in the combat rant. As that's been discussed plenty.

Aside from that, there is a lot more wrong with this game.

-It's market mechanics make it too easy for clans to manipulate prices.

-Controls of the game could be a lot less cluttered and easier to use.

-The world is small and congested. You won't go a single screen's pace without encountering something that's of importance to something. A part of a quest, diary, or what have you.

-Weapons are useless. What do we use? Scimitars and shortbows(in a nutshell). There's almost no use for other weapons like warhammers, maces, daggers, long or short swords, or longbows.

-Monster drops are hardly useful. See, with other MMOs, a person slaying a monster might have a slight chance at finding a special type of armor or weapon that could be better then their current one. Granted, this wouldn't work with RuneScape's current mechanics anyway. Since there's so little diversity in armor and weapons in the first place. Monster slaying now is largely based on EXP, or getting a high amount of items which you can then turn around and easily sell for profit. Not items that are directly useful to the player collecting them.

-There's only a few methods for boss hunting. Any other method attempted is deemed "inefficient" and any player attempting them, a "noob". But again, this relates back to RuneScape's combat system and rather blocky character movement.

As you can see, one problem branches from a bigger problem. It ultimately comes up to either: The combat system, price manipulation, and/or skill grinding.

But... Are these problems actually fixable with the way the game is coded now? Or would jagex just have to create a whole new "RuneScape 3" to finally fix these problems? Or do they even see any other problems other then their constant war with RWT'ers and botters?

And finally, I'm going to add a little disclaimer here at the bottom to avoid some potential flaming:

I honestly love RuneScape. I've been playing it for over 5 years now. It's just that I'm running out of things to do that i find fun, and i often to run into problems with the flaws i point out. It's just getting hard to play anymore. If i do quit, i won't switch up for one of the more traditional MMOs. I'll most likely just quit in general. But for some reason, i still find quitting RS hard even if i seriously think about it.

And for Jagex themselves... Well, i guess you can say i have a love-hate relationship with them. Some of their updates make me love them, and others make me wonder if they even play the game they're releasing content for (Example: The right click update a few days ago). But, i do think that I'm losing more and more respect for Jagex as a programing company with each passing update that throws something out of whack.

In closing, I'm writing this in the dead of the morning after a long night. So sorry if it's a bit hard to read #-o

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

For a large part, I agree with you. There definitely needs more diversity in terms of weapons and armour. I dont believe their is enough variety, when every second warrior looks EXACTLY the same. It makes me think what it would be like if everyone's hitpoints (life points) were suddenly doubled.

EDIT: I think it would be really awesome, if they release heaps and heaps of new armours, untradable and are dropped randomly and they degrade over a short period of time, with stats that vary from extreme high defence to skin defence.

miph4.png

[spoiler=Old info]Quest Point Cape Acheived:14 October 07 4:30pm GMT+10 .

15108th to 99 Firemaking: 2 October 08 8:15pm GMT+10

Barrows Drops: Verac Flail, Verac Plateskirt x3, Guthan helm, Ahrim Robetop,

Karil top, Torag plate, Dharok plate, Dharok axe. 1900+ total lvl

Dragon Drops: 6: Dragon Legs (iron dragon), Dragon Spear(shadow warrior), Dragon Pickaxe(4)

DK Drops: Warrior Ring(2)

Bandos Drops: Tassets

I guess increasing the level cap and/or adding more constitution/defense boosting items would fix the combat aspect.

As for other skills... I don't really think the grinding aspect of most skills can be "fixed". I think the best solution, though, would be to give them more high-level, untradable updates similar to herblore, so that more people will have incentive to train these skills.

As for people using only 1 type of weapon/armor, it's because in a particular group, no matter what there will ALWAYS be one best weapon, and everyone will use it. So, that's probably not fixable either.

I don't know if Runescape 3 can totally solve this. That is, unless they use a TOTALLY different game engine. What can they switch to, from Java?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Armour by far needs to be reassesed.

The only Armour update we've had is Dragon platebody which is pointless other than to look good.

And Bandos armour which well is good but its still only one set. But i suppose the only problem for them with introducing more armour is A. do we put it as a quest reward? The most recent addition to armour from quests i think is the void defender which doesnt help your armour at all.. Once again is more focused towards giving you a better attack. or B. New Boss. Which means new quests or just add in a random part of the game.

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

I guess increasing the level cap and/or adding more constitution/defense boosting items would fix the combat aspect.

As for other skills... I don't really think the grinding aspect of most skills can be "fixed". I think the best solution, though, would be to give them more high-level, untradable updates similar to herblore, so that more people will have incentive to train these skills.

As for people using only 1 type of weapon/armor, it's because in a particular group, no matter what there will ALWAYS be one best weapon, and everyone will use it. So, that's probably not fixable either.

I don't know if Runescape 3 can totally solve this. That is, unless they use a TOTALLY different game engine. What can they switch to, from Java?

Mhm, i agree with you for the most part. Although, i believe weapons could be made a bit more diverse if the weakness and resistance of monsters was heavily weighed. Just as it is in Dungoneering. Although range and magic would also play a part.

As an example, maybe if the speeds and stats of all of the melee and range weapons were re-vamped, monsters could be weak to say, maybe crush weapons, crossbow bolts and earth spells. And another could be weak to stab, arrows and water spells. But of course, it would be much easier to make combat-type diverse melee weapons then it is range weapons and magic spells. Which is part of the reason why the combat system needs revamped in the first place.

For better balancing melee, you would want to adjust the speed and power of all the weapons. Make it so if you're fighting a creature who is weak to crush, you have multiple options.

"Okay, so I'm fighting a (insert monster name here). They're weak to crush, so that rules out my daggers, long and short swords. I think I'll go with a mace... But, i don't need the prayer bonus so i think I'll take something a bit slower, and a bit more powerful. Maybe a warhammer? Hm.. Still a little weak as the monster's level is (insert level here) and i don't think it'll have the best DPS. Ah, i know! My twohanded sword!"

Certain weapons could be weaker, but yet a lot faster then 2 handed weapons and some single-handed weapons. Making them better at killing monsters that are at a lower level then you. As you wouldn't need all that power of the heavier weapons.

For balancing range, maybe longbows could have higher accuracy, and a damage bonus added on to the existing arrow's bonus. If calibrated right, that should make them a potentate competitor for the shortbow. And both would be use equally, based on the situation.

Of course, this wouldn't stop at just bows. It would go on and all of the other range weapons would be calibrated. If done right, each weapon should have it's use. Also, range's effects should be split into 2 skills, just as melee is. Or maybe strength should effect what weapons you could use. Because it doesn't make sense that a 1 str 99 range pure could be strong enough to throw a rune knife with the force to inflict up to and onward past 150 damage. Although for this to happen, the way levels effect your combat would have to be changed. Said 1 str pures and range tanks would be a bit mifed if they logged in one day to find out that they hit like crap. And would have to level their strength and thus their combat to change that.

Magic could also use a re-vise. As with range, it's effects should be split into 2 skills like melee is. Maybe you could call them Will and Force. Will could determine how much you splash, and Force would determine how high you hit. I don't know if clothing should effect this. If it didn't, and you could cast spells in metal armor, then magic's power would have to be calibrated.

As for weapons, i think every staff should boost the power of a certain type of spell. Whilst only the best staves boost the power of all of them.

And for spells, well that should be largely based on what monster you're fighting. Or what the player that your fighting is wearing. For runes, i think they should be done away with for combat spells, and only be used for non-combat spells. If not, then the ones uses for combat spells should be MUCH easier to come by, and should have a equipment slot(If an elemental rune is in a equipment slot, then it cannot be used for non-combat spells. This will hopefully preserve the value of training magic via non-combat spells).

[hide=Huge suggestion to pacify RuneScape's current combat system]

Note:

I originally planned this part to be a small suggestion to help RuneScape's current combat system to be more diverse and complex, but i ended up making a huge suggestion that really belong in the RSOF suggestion thread. I didn't realize how big i made it until it was too late.

But since i got so pumped about my idea typing this, i might actually turn it into a actual suggestion thread later and post it on the RSOF. Since i believe in miracles, maybe Jagex will see it and pickup on it. Anyway, feel free to read it or look over it.

--------

I think a way we can(Not so much fix, but it would definitely help A LOT) pacify the combat system is making augmentable armor pieces(Some in the hyt chat suggested this).

Going with what you said first, i think you should use your smithing and crafting skills(un-assistable) to make un-tradeable armors for all 3 combat types. Or be able to make slots in existing armors, depending on your crafting and/or smithing level. Higher crafting levels(for hides and clothes) and maybe higher smithing levels(for metal armors) could carve more slots per armor piece. For example, maybe at level 20, you can add one slot. At 40, two slots, at sixty, three slots, at eighty, four slots, and finally at 99, five slots per armor piece. F2P'ers would have access to this feature too, but they would only be able to carve up to 2 (maybe 3?) slots into armor and maybe weapons(see below). And would have acess to far fewer augments. Any item that has more then the F2P slot count becomes a member's object. Same with any f2p armor piece that is augmented with a member's augment.

What should be augmentable? Well, i think only platebodies, and platelegs, for the sake of balance. But other items could be augmentable too, but have a slot limit. Example: Boots would only be allowed to have 1 augment slot, and would have much lower stat caps(explained later). Helms could be allowed to have two augment slots, and maybe shields could have three. Though only actual shields. I think defenders and books should be left where they are.

Weapons SHOULD NOT be able to be augmented. At the very most, basic metal (Bronze - Rune) F2P weapons, basic F2P (normal - maple) bows, and F2P basic staves(Magic staff, all 4 elemental staves, and the normal orbless staff) may be able to be augmented to bring an extra dimension to F2P combat.

I think that this should be permanent on the basic metals and hides, and cloths (bronze - rune, green - black, wizard robes - mystic) and reversible on the special armors.

Though i believe it should be costly to reverse it. Maybe you have to pay a NPC to remove the augments, and on top of it costing a lot(Maybe around 500k - 5M. Depending on the type of armor, and what it is) maybe you also lose the augments. Although the last part is debatable since the augments would hopefully be un-tradeable.

This will make people think twice before augmenting their beloved armor. And it would also make the market more permanent. Meaning that people won't constantly be buying and selling their armor. It will be more staple. The problem is that i have no idea what kind of effects this will have on the market. It could be good, or it could be bad.

The augments themselves, should be EXTREMELY plentiful(I'm talking over 1000 augments. All with different effects) and be dropped by EVERY enemy who drops gems and the such. They should be untradeable and the lower effect ones should be common, and the higher effect ones should be more rare. While 'elite' augments should only be dropped by bosses. They can range from rather common, to extremely rare based on their effects. Also, certain slayer and quest monsters can drop exclusive augments. Augments could also be future quest rewards.

Storing augments shouldn't be hard. You should be able to get a free augmentation case that can store a few(up to 10 maybe?) of EVERY augmentation. They would be organized by their effects, then by how good they are. You wouldn't be able to see a slot where an augmentation goes until you have stored one of that type. This keeps the interface more simple, as you don't have over 700 icons that aren't even representing an augmentation you have.

The case would open up a whole new inventory screen, similar to the bank screen. From here, you can augment your items. However, the case has a 0gp kept on death value, and you can only have 1 of them at a time. This makes it EXTREMELY risky to bring the case on a slayer task or something to store augments you find. It is best to pick and choose which ones you want to bring to the bank with you.

The augments themselves could have a variety of effects. Reducing weight, speeding up the recovery of lifepoints, slowly restoring prayer, and enhancing stats. Certain lower or mid-range augments could give negative effects as well as positive ones.

Stat enhancing augments would have special moderation. You don't want someone loading up a fighter torso or Bandos chestplate with three +5 strength enhancing augments. That would defeat the purpose of augments somewhat balancing combat in the first place.

But, augments would bring about a problem: People would be carting around 5 sets of rune in their inventory, all with different augments. A way to counter this, is to only allow 1 item in 1 equipment slot of every metal/leather/cloth to be augmented.

This means, that if someone has a Dragon platebody augmented with reduce weight -10, enhance magic defense +30, and regenerate health(level 4). They couldn't turn around and buy a dragon platebody, or dragon chainbody and augment it differently. This would keep the balances in check.

With Barrows, maybe the player could only have a total of 4 - 6 barrows items augmented. This would mean that they could augment 3 different tops and bottoms. Augmented barrows pieces would work the same as normal barrows pieces and would still activate the set's effect proven correct conditions are met.

I also think that there should be a cap on the stats you can augment onto a piece of armor. Say you can have a max of 5 strength bonuses augmented onto a platebody. That means that you could augment a fighter torso to have +10 strength, or a rune platebody to have +5. Although, only the more rare augments would give +5 strength. But you could still add one +2 strength augment, and one +3 strength augment to get the desired effect. Though at the cost of using two augment slots instead of one.

Similar caps would be put on defense, range, melee style(crush, slash, stab) and magic boosting augments. Though they would be different caps.

What the actually augments themselves are could be small little trinkets that are "fused" with the armor's augmentation slots. Hence the fee for removing them. They could range from very basic augments that the player can make by enchanting cut gems(Some of the few augments that could be made by the player) to crystals or bone shards dropped from enemies. Their effects would be explain in detail when examined.

A few examples i can think of are:

-"Tiny Heart Crystal" Examine: Restores 25 extra lifepoints per minute.(This is a rather lower-tier augment)

-"Cursed TB. Boneshard" Examine: Cursed Terrorbird boneshard. Reduces weight -15 and adds a -2 prayer bonus.(mid-range tier augment)

-"Gnome Spearhead" Examine: Increases stab bonus +8.

-"Greater Energy Crystal" Examine: Restores an extra 20% special attack energy per minute(Elite tier augment)

This is just a taste of what augments would be like. They would have a lot of effects, both in and out of combat. Maybe even some effects on skilling.

Lastly, this is a list of some of the "Special" items that can have the augmentations removed, for a price:

-All Barrows armors(weapons excluded)

-Bandos

-Dragon armors

-Granite armors

-Infinity robes

-Armadyl armor

-All treasure trail god armors. However, you couldn't have both a black dragonhide body and a armadyl leatherbody augmented at the same time. Same for the rune god armors.

-Castlewars decorative armors(This makes Castle wars veterans' work pay off. If they have full profound, it could be augmented and also has the stats of rune)

-void armors

-Barbarian Assault armors

-Third Age armors

Sacred clay, rockshell, and Elite black wouldn't be able to be augmented along side of rune. Also, these armors would not be able to have the augmentations removed.[/hide]

If you get bored, start a new character. It's what I do. Never gonna get sick of this game. There is just so much you can do and so many different ways to play.

So much better than in games like WoW where everything is dead except for level 80 raids and BGs/arena at level 80.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

If you get bored, start a new character. It's what I do. Never gonna get sick of this game. There is just so much you can do and so many different ways to play.

So much better than in games like WoW where everything is dead except for level 80 raids and BGs/arena at level 80.

I have done that before. Many times. I have made a 1 def pure, 10 def pure, runite pure, zerker pure, range tank, and DFS pure. All of but one have been made members for at least two months. My zerker pure and DFS pure, were members for over one year.

I've played a lot of aspects of this game. And i've had a lot of fun, but i think my obsession might by dying down. Maybe I'll quit, maybe i won't. But i will play a lot less.

:thumbup:

MY CAPES!

sig1.pngsig2.png

Dragon drops: Draconic Visage, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Med Helm, Dragon Platelegs

Other drops: Dragon Chainbody

e5lft5.png

Loot

↓↓

Verac's flail, Verac's skirt x2, Guthan's platebody x2, Guthan's warspear x3, Dharok's helm x2, Ahrim's hood, Ahrim's robeskirt, Torag's platelegs, Karil's top, Karil's skirt, Karil's crossbow x2

-The world is small and congested. You won't go a single screen's pace without encountering something that's of importance to something. A part of a quest, diary, or what have you.

-Weapons are useless. What do we use? Scimitars and shortbows(in a nutshell). There's almost no use for other weapons like warhammers, maces, daggers, long or short swords, or longbows.

-Monster drops are hardly useful. See, with other MMOs, a person slaying a monster might have a slight chance at finding a special type of armor or weapon that could be better then their current one. Granted, this wouldn't work with RuneScape's current mechanics anyway. Since there's so little diversity in armor and weapons in the first place. Monster slaying now is largely based on EXP, or getting a high amount of items which you can then turn around and easily sell for profit. Not items that are directly useful to the player collecting them.

-There's only a few methods for boss hunting. Any other method attempted is deemed "inefficient" and any player attempting them, a "noob". But again, this relates back to RuneScape's combat system and rather blocky character movement.

1. This is what happens in an involuntary corporatist-like economy. Jagex is involuntary playing into the hands of the elite rich with their control over the economy; they could completely control the economy and fix the prices themselves, but that would cause things to collapse economically, trade would halt, and prices would skyrocket in the black market (assuming of course there could be one, this is a game so unlike the real world they can have complete control.) In a completely free market, capitalism is a rich persons worst enemy; if you look at the real world the corporations always do well with the governments help, generally by regulating competition out of existence and providing bailouts. Looking at America, there were more regulations implemented under Bush than any past president in the last 50+ years (albeit, not all monetary.)

2. I agree with this, I got used to the controls by playing 6+ years, but a WASD movement would be nice...

3. Yeah, it has been like this since the beginning and unless there's a complete engine overhaul ('Runescape 3') I don't see much changing.

4. Again, correct...

The rest is correct, this is how runescape and it works, you're suggesting HUGE changes with the drop system and overall feel of the game.

1. This is what happens in an involuntary corporatist-like economy. Jagex is involuntary playing into the hands of the elite rich with their control over the economy; they could completely control the economy and fix the prices themselves, but that would cause things to collapse economically, trade would halt, and prices would skyrocket in the black market (assuming of course there could be one, this is a game so unlike the real world they can have complete control.) In a completely free market, capitalism is a rich persons worst enemy; if you look at the real world the corporations always do well with the governments help, generally by regulating competition out of existence and providing bailouts. Looking at America, there were more regulations implemented under Bush than any past president in the last 50+ years (albeit, not all monetary.)

2. I agree with this, I got used to the controls by playing 6+ years, but a WASD movement would be nice...

3. Yeah, it has been like this since the beginning and unless there's a complete engine overhaul ('Runescape 3') I don't see much changing.

4. Again, correct...

The rest is correct, this is how runescape and it works, you're suggesting HUGE changes with the drop system and overall feel of the game.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Truth of the matter, capitalism is kind of like a sin/cos graph. There are waves. It goes up then it goes down. When it goes down, everybody gets hurt; but capitalist societies tend to be a rich mans friend because they don't lose 50% of their income to taxes and can buy their way to the head of a line.

That being said, if your truly rich during a recession/depression, all you have to do is ride it out. Or if it's a localized recession/depression, move.

On-topic: I think we need more armour like those DG shields. The concept of X% reduction if you take over Y damage is actually an ingenious one if you get the numbers right. What if there was an armour set that did that like, exponentially? Might make Jad too easy...

Well, how it is currently programmed may not be perfect for stuff like D claws... but imagine if, say, you take over 500 damage, you get a 20% reduction on all damage over say...250. Or something.

Or maybe some amulet that causes consecutive hits to deal less damage...?

I'd say part of the real problem is that accuracy isn't set in stone. Although unlikely, there's nothing technically stopping someone with maxed melee, super pots, turmoil from taking out someone with torags and a DFS out with a lucky spec.

Actually, some random idea I came up with for defense, which might also help the combat triangle.

A mages shield made up of a bunch of floating swords. These parry attacks, giving high melee defense, some deflection against melee attacks.... possibly a push back feature. Rangers could perhaps be given a special bow or...something.... basic idea could be a "mage disruption attack" (sidenote: I'm making this up as I go a long, the most logical thing for this is a quest reward; you learn about this through the quest and apply it to all ranging)

Basically, the idea behind it is you "disrupt" a mage with your arrow shooting; in essence, what this does is causes the spells by the person your attacking to hit less damage and bind/freeze for less time.

Just some random thoughts.

You know, I can honestly say that it's fixable considering all the different suggestions people come up with :P

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Lately i've been looking through a lot of general discussion threads here on TIF, and i've seemed to derive one fact that people generally agree on: RuneScape is indeed, a broken game.

Now when i say "Broken game" i mean that it was never planned for RuneScape itself to actually come this far as a MMO. I don't really think Jagex thoroughly thought out expansion plans. And i've seen a lot of others share this opinion as well.

I have been thinking this a lot lately, especially as I'm working on maxing out my combat level. It seems kind of futile, because I know that somewhere along the line, some new skill requiring a lot of combat training is going to come out (See also: Slayer, Summoning) and I'm going to basically have to get the exp all over again. But that's the only use I'm going to get out of my high combat levels.

Sure, there are bosses. But what's the fun of just camping out at a single place and repeatedly, easily, taking down the same boss over and over? Dungeoneering was along the right idea- bosses that you have to work your way to get to. But it's still extremely flawed, and I don't honestly find it to be very much fun. And it's still turned into grinding- instead of grinding by chopping trees, or making potions, it's grinding by rushing through dungeons in the fastest, no-room-for-error way possible.

I feel like the grinding and push for efficiency has taken away the slow enjoyment I used to get from skills.

I remember back when there were other impressive levels besides 99.

Now, 70-something skills don't mean anything. If it's not maxed, it hardly matters.

As you said, I don't think runescape was ever intended to last this long. We weren't meant to all reach the highest levels. And the lack of plan for expansion is really starting to show.

But it isn't jagex's fault.

Runescape's mechanics just aren't built like other MMO'S. It would take such a huge overhaul to fix everything, I don't think we'd even recognise the game anymore.

I personally see runescape going one of two ways.

1. The game stays as is, and jagex continues to work and update until eventually, the player base loses interest and moves along. Runescape will eventually fall. I don't see it lasting forever as is.

2. Jagex completely overhauls the entire game, and releases runescape 3. It probably will cease to be a browser-based game, and runescape will look a lot more like other MMO's. Runescape as we know it will likely go the way of RSC- still available, but not updated.

Ah, but I digress. I realized about halfway through typing this post that I really don't have much of a point to make.

The whole situation is really just sad. 6+ years of playing, and it's so hard to stay interested.

It really is a broken game. There's nowhere left for it to go.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

I disliked the combat system way back in 2007. Game has changed...completely, since then. Even then though, there were quite noticeable 'problems' - So remember this is just from 2007, I don't know if these 'root' problems have risen or have gone away:

1. Melee was overpowered and outclassed every other combat type economically, performance , and practicability wise.

Barrows > Init/Prayer pots > Rune > Dragon > Black Dragonhide.

Pretty much how it stayed, even if Jagex released armour that was 'better' it did not tackle any of the three 'problems'. They did not change any of these armours to be less better at those three points. Basically Barrows was/is the best armour overall and is also the best economically and practically. It may not have the best performance but it is well past the point it needs its performance to be. Jagex did not lower any of these points to make 'trade-offs' for using Barrows or an advantage but a 'trade-off' for using another armour. There's probably other 'reasons' besides the three listed as to why Barrows is the best armour to use, but can't think of them/aren't obvious enough.

2. Magic & Range were missing 'spells/items' to really make their entire point used in the game (RANGE, distance from enemies)

The point of Magic & Range is to be far away from your enemy, so you don't take damage. In return the apparent trade-off is your limited supplies of ammunition. This is fine until you get to the point where Jagex is designing their game so some monsters are not 'blockable', or monsters or boss monsters in general have a ranged type of attack. Jagex is basically removing the two points that make Magic & Range 'viable' and are making them impractical. They may have attempted to fix this or tried to do something else and it indirectly sorta kinda worked with the prayer updates. Still, their whole concept of 'ranged fighting' is practically pointless in Runescape. Crystal Bow = how Jagex should have done almost every single item or in reverse in some fashion. You do not have to buy ammunition, you just have to 'recharge' for the best benefits, and the degradation rate changes. This concept should have been exploited and used elusively as the main 'item system' for Magic/Range.

3. Spells like 'bind' and damage spells, were/are too primitive in their effects, same WITH ANY ARMOUR/ITEM in the game

You gather a few of these three runes or so and you cast a spell, the spell does X damage, giving you fixed EXP and X/4 EXP. This should be in a 2D game or a level 1 type of spell. Increasing the damage on this spell from 1-50, still makes it quite 'primitive'. It's only inflicting damage. There is no 'skill' in a randomly chosen number that auto-locks on to the target. There is no strategy. It is boring. Your spell will be exactly the same EVERY single time, doesn't matter where you stand, how you move or what other spells you cast.

Boring? Yes.

Magic should have damage spells that do only up to 30 damage. They do not need to be higher than that at all. Let the other spells the Magic user has make up for the damage. DAMAGE infliction is not the only combat aspect you can use in a 3D game. You have position, you have movement speed, you have buffs, you have negs, you have 'object creator spells', you have mini-teleport spells, you have a host of things you can do, to make up for damage you shouldn't be inflicting.

You may be thinking that's awesome, but what about them being OP? Half of these spells or maybe even 2/3rds would be pointless to cast on a Range user, as most of these spells just limit movement speed or change your position. Melee will be screwed. Range will still be able to compete on par, as long as their armour makes them more vulnerable to non-damage spells but slightly more vulnerable to non-damage spells or 'slower firing rate spells'. You make tugs & pulls between the two, and they'll both stand on even ground, only difference being skill. I would like to one day make an entirely new combat system from scratch and balance the entire thing.

Point being Jagex thinks 'damage' is the way to go for exciting fights. THERE IS NO STRATEGY/FUN/TENSE ACTION in a fight that takes 2-3 days to be completed. This all applies to PvP & PvE.

Rangers suffer the same ordeal. You shoot an arrow, bolt or knife, and it only inflicts damage or secondary damage. Where are the movement hinders for Melee? Where is the advantage Rangers should slightly have? The entire notion that one class is weaker to another is old and wrong. Each class needs to have 1-4 advantages and 1-4 disadvantages to every other class. Magic would have the advantages of the different kinds of spells I listed and maybe their HP would be lower or maybe their HP/Prayer would be lowered if they used a certain type of spell too many times in a row or in an amount of time, or their Magic level would be drained if they did X or Y.

If Magic & Range can stop Melee from moving, the Melee class loses a lot of its OPness. Yet, Range & Magic do not gain an advantage over each other from these 'improvements', unless through SKILL the Magic user knows how to space himself properly or far enough away that the Range user needs to get closer or needs to switch to long range or use a long bow (then they could switch to knives when they're close enough, multi-weapon combat...another aspect not in the game unless you're 1vs1ing below level 5-10).

Range could have a lot more AoE types of equipment like different kinds of explosions that release different types of 'gas fields' (removes radar, causes FoV inside the gas to be lessened, causes HP/PRAYER reduction...anything) and the variables to change could be firing speed, type of Range stance, certain types of equipment, that degrade faster/aren't renewable...etc. And Magic would just have Single Effect spells or very few AoE's that aren't quite mained in combat.

Melee on the other hand would be left with either a) Getting in close and dealing HEAVY damage (with poison, temporarily stopping the opponent from using spells, slowing down walking speed for a time, slowing down firing speed(range) or b) Dealing fast but weaker damage in exchange for moving fast enough to catch the Magic/Range users if they aren't timing EXACTLY when they need to to bind or stop or hinder the Melee user. The Melee user needs something to combat these disadvantages and that is just pure damage output, speed + less damage, temporary movement/immunity special effects on their 'ENCHANTED' OR 'SPECIAL' types of armour/weapons (NOT POTIONS OR MAGIC).

There's a lot you can do if you take what I said into consideration, as well as think of any other combat features that are almost always overlooked, like how armour could play a role in the favour or disadvantage of the classes for the reasons outlined above or any other.

4. The Combat Triangle Flawed Through Armour

Armour. There aren't enough trade-offs to using melee armour as a Ranger, or Magic user. There are 0 disdavantages for using Range armour as a Melee. Magic users are 'screwed' over entirely. The combat triangle itself is very primitive in that it is using 'words' or just 'expected classes' as to why Melee's are weaker to Magic users. Why can't a melee player gain armour that protects from certain types of magic spells? If he could, the combat triangle would be completely destroyed. This is what I mean by the combat triangle being primitive. It is pointless. The only triangle should be religion symbols or whatever 'tool' the dwarves make.

5. Classes

Prayer should be its own 'combat type'. In that all you would need is Prayer in order to do battle. It would not use the same 'type' of spells as Magic and it would be unique to itself. The Prayer class shouldn't need to dish out anything more than 10-20 damage. It's TRUE potential would lie in dragging fights out for a very long time, so long (10 minutes) that the Melee's armour is getting too weak to inflict the ideal amount of damage that makes it 'ok' for the Melee to stay right up close to the Prayer user. Or the Melee user is running out of sprint and can't keep up with the extremely light Prayer user, without waiting for 5 seconds to 'mad dash with 10% sprint' to catch the prayer user. Or the prayer user is using 'religious spells' which make the 'enchanted' armour useless. Range would run out of ammunition or would come pretty darn close. Magic users would run out of Magic level, HP, or runes.

Prayer users basically use endurance/time to their advantage. If they place themselves accordingly they will win through pure strategy & thinking ahead, because they time managed. They will be annoying to 1vs1 but they will be beatable.

After the 5-10 minute time, there would be a 'sweet period' where both players would be on equal footing and it would go either way depending on movement, or items/spells used. However, after the break point, the Prayer user will have the longer advantage until they themselves start to lose Prayer or items.

A 4-way class system might seem strange but it ADDS to group PvP or group PvE. Instead of a 'healer' you have a 'support' player. If they know how to play well, they will be better than potions or other items, which will save you money long-term in group PvE. In PvP, they can be your bait and switch guy, they can be whoever you want them to be.

THIS IS HOW it should be for any class in PvE or PvP. Not a 'support type class' but something that contributes to your group or contributes to your overall earnings or performance. That a class can 'replace' something in your inventory. Or something to that effect or value.

Currently, everyone becomes this 'super warrior' and they do not need ANYONE else, they just need them for the damage output. If it weren't for the damage, they would probably be able to do it themselves.

6. Too Many Items

Potions. Prayer. Magic. Item bonuses. Armour bonuses. Misc. bonuses. Specials. Different amounts of items for each class for each weapon class.

There's at least 10-15 different types of items in each of those categories you could use. There's even overlap between them, which makes items useless. Also, everyone can do each of these things. You do not need someone to specifically do either of these. All you need is money to buy them or friends (which is 'ok' but not in the current situation). Cut it down on the super warrior fetish. Make people use their role more.

You could have someone need 90 Herblore to make this potion, but you need 85 magic to enchant it and you need to act within 20-30 seconds of drinking it before it wears off and the potion becomes 'useless'. Totally far off the scale of skills, but extremely needed. Sure, everyone could just get 99s, but you still have those 'distinct' classes mentioned above. Meaning you wouldn't be able to wear all of this armour or be a 'super warrior' through armour. As well, some potions may 'reset' your stats or reduce other boosted stats or reduce stats totally, or this may only apply if you drink your own enchanted potion or you may die if you drink your own potion.

There's a lot you could do here. Deserves a post for itself, as well does everything else.

Skilling & Combat

You need to give item X to Skillers from Combaters.

You need to give Combaters item Y to Skillers.

= Good economy in RS.

There's only two real things to do and they classify into Combat or Skilling. They have to be different and unique, not overlapping at all, but they also need to benefit from each other, almost depending on each other. They both provide raw goods, end products and services to each other. We don't need 30-40+ skills for this, nor do we need some of the useless skills we have now. If a skill can not benefit more than 3-4 other skills, why is it in the game?

Combat Levels

You only need 3 combat levels.

Level 1.

Level 2.

Level 3.

You should be able to change your level. There is no 2.1, or 3.1. Monsters get increasingly difficult at level 3. Monsters are relatively easy at Level 1. You can separate regions into Level 1-3 recommended.

You can have the Wilderness separated in 3 regions or mixed or altogether.

There is no need for levels 1-120. There is no point in 'leveling', aka, 'grinding'. You should be able to jump in and start doing things.

The only thing is getting the items. This might sound like WoW, but it isn't. Items aren't 'bound' to you in this world. They can be dropped, traded or lost. This only applies to combat, not skills. Skills are 'different', but still no levels. There's more to it than this, but I don't have time to go into it. Will edit later...maybe.

---

I've got a bit more to get into but I'm out of time. I've read a lot of 'suggestions' for combat and they aren't...'advanced' enough to focus on strategy or fun. They merely focus on damage output or damage as the main method of killing. There's more to it than that. Looking at damage as the main thing is like looking at our galaxy and ignoring the other galaxies in the universe. It isn't IMPORTANT to be the main thing. There's other feature or elements to consider.

This is just my opinion and I hope not everyone likes it, but don't post like a 13 year old.

- I think I will post a combat suggestion at some point this week, I have most of it written out, so if you like my kind of tea here, look out for it by Saturday.