Jagex is planning to make a brand new MMORPG?

Krampell

After a little look on Jagex Gaming Studio's homepage I noticed under "current vacancies" where they list jobs that are currently available I saw that some jobs had the [New MMO] next to it.

After reading through some of the jobs, I saw that they are looking for quite a few people such as Lead Designer, Producer, Art Director, Lead Character Modeler.

Seeing as they are looking for so many titles, that means they are in a early stage of development and we will probably not see it before the release of Stellar Dawn.

http://www.jagex.com/careers

Reason I don't believe it's related to Stellar Dawn is becuase, well, Stellar dawn has it's own [stellar Dawn] next to the employees they are looking for.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

When you think it's gonna be announced?

Reason I don't believe it's related to Stellar Dawn is because, well, Stellar dawn has it's own [stellar Dawn] next to the employees they are looking for.

There are 3 (4) categories [Runescape], [stellar Dawn], [New MMO], (no category) (just saying)

Unfortunately games like WoL is classified as an MMO. We also know Jagex is also working on a new game called Eight Realms

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Hmm, might have been a miss on my side then, seems that Jagex hasn't updated the site then since it said on one of the jobs, and I quote,

"Jagex Ltd, the UK's leading independent Online Games Studio, is looking for a Senior Modeller to join a large graphics department working on a brand new, unannounced MMORPG.

I imagine this is still very very early in the making. As Stellar Dawn is looking like a 2011 release for sure I'd not expect to see this until mid-2012 at the absolute earliest (assuming it's an entirely new MMORPG). Although I guess it'll be borrowing a lot of tech from Stellar Dawn. No clue what it could be though.

Hmm, a new MMORPG?

Sounds interesting... but I don't think that is enough to drag me away from RS :P

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Yep. Jagex is working on a new fantasy MMO, and according to Gerhard's generally obscure answers, they want to do with this what they never could do with Runescape for various reasons, mainly because the game is too far along for such radical changes. As far as development goes, I don't think we'll be seeing this for a few years, I wouldn't even expect 2012.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

"A lot of what we've done to push the boundary for Stellar Dawn will benefit RuneScape and another MMO we're working on. We've got the advantage in that we share the same MMO tech platform. From there it's really down to the studios to decide how its used."

"Same platform" - Don't expect anything more exciting than turn-based combat!

I hope what they meant by 'pushing Stellar Dawn' that they meant they changed the mechanics of the engine a lot (point & click movement, better I/O...etc), so it doesn't feel at all like Runescape's primitive and boring point & click movement, the primitive UI and layout, the terrible binding of keys, better hardware optimizations, and content that doesn't lack depth and intense problem solving. If they're using the same engine, I will be disappointed in any new MMO they release. I also hope I can DL some of these games and play them on my computer as well as online in a browser.

From Mod Poppy on the RS forums:

Hello there!

We are pleased to announce that www.8realms.com is an official Jagex site that has been launched today.

I say 'launched today', what I mean is that there's a holding page there for you all to enjoy until we release the game. :)

We're happy for you to mention this URL on the RS Forums, as it is an official Jagex product, however, if you'd like to chat to the blossoming 8 Realms community, it may well be worth heading over to the official Facebook page where you can chat to everyone there.

Cheers!

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis