People trying to sell my account with pictures from the Picture Thread

bedman

So this guy on RS pmed me, asking if my real name is <insert name>. He then tells me this guy (<insert name>) is on facebook and trying to trade my acc (bedman) for his account. I say I'm not that guy of course, and I look up the guy he told me about on facebook. He either spellt it wrong, or he was lieing cause I couldn't find the exact name he told me.

Next, he asks me whether I'm rich, cause the guy is providing a picture of my account with green partyhat and 3rd age robes. Now I happen to have taken a picture with such an outfit, and I might have actually posted it too here on the picture thread of the general discussion board.

Should I be concerned? What can/should I do about this? I hope Jagex thinks twice if they see some advertisement of my account being on sale with that picture...

I don't think you should worry. You can always take the usual precautions, such as having a strong password, recovery q's set and having a bank pin with all your valuable items banked before logging off.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Gadwin Printscreen (free edition) will allow you to place watermarks on your screenshots. As for account security, start looking for the oldest valid information concerning your account and have it handy if necessary. As for verifying you're not RWT'ing, I wouldn't know how to verify that, but if you give a detailed appeal you shouldn't have a problem I'd hope if it even gets to that.

hzvjpwS.gif

Yes you should be somewhat worried. It's an old problem and jagex has banned people who have had a picture of their account on sale on ebay. To avoid this, use watermarks on pictures.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Yes, try and put watermarks or say as you take the picture that it's not for sale whenever you have a decent amount of wealth out. You shouldn't really worry about hacking but more about being banned.

j0xPu5R.png

Mhm, watermarking is a good idea if you're posting pictures showing exceptional skills/wealth. And just to be safe, in case you haven't reset your password/recoveries/bank pin recently, I'd do it since it's always a good idea anyway.

Jamflex isn't exactly smart when it comes to... Anything. So I'd have all of your information handy in case they do actually lock your account.

A few months ago it said my recoveries were scheduled to change. I panicked and changed all of my information. But i realized it was just because my computer's clock had been reset through a computer glitch. And it was close to the date that i last changed my recoveries. Though it was a good idea to change my information anyway, because i hadn't in a while.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Yes you should be somewhat worried. It's an old problem and jagex has banned people who have had a picture of their account on sale on ebay. To avoid this, use watermarks on pictures.

But what about previous pictures? If they really follow the picture thread, they could have quite a few of them by now.

But what about previous pictures? If they really follow the picture thread, they could have quite a few of them by now.

Well you just have to hope noone hates you that much and jagex doesn't care about it much, which, as we have seen in the recent years, they don't. If you have incidences like you've had, you should definitely watermark your forthcoming pictures for a medium length of time, and if it doesn't reoccur, proceed as usual.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

As far as getting your account hacked, you should be fine as long as you take precautions. Make sure you have a strong password that is not used on any other game/website and have good recoveries that are impossible for anyone to just guess.

Your only worry should be Jagex finding this page (if it exists) and thinking that YOU are the one who created it. Above posters gave you good tips on how to avoid this in the future, but as for how to handle this situation, you don't have many options. If you can find the page you can report it (I don't know if Facebook has a report feature or anything though?) to try to get it taken down. You could also try to contact Jagex but tbh I don't know if they'll show a particular interest in the situation.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

(I don't know if Facebook has a report feature or anything though?)

The marketplace does. They have a "Please report suspicious listing Here." tab you can click on when you're viewing the individual listing. If it's something on their wall the TC could always try a "Contact Us" feedback form and see where that takes him.

hzvjpwS.gif

No, don't worry. Without your account deals, they are most likely trying to rip someone else off.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Well, think of it this way then: if he hasn't made a facebook page about it/ebay thing/any sort of selling thing and it's all been PM's, it's unlikely you have to worry about being wrongly banned. So grats! Just be more careful in the future and you should be able to avoid suspicion.

hzvjpwS.gif