:: My Idea To Remove Rares ::

p0nd3r4

The only advantage this idea would have is to stop the price of Rares changing. But as was stated, Jagex most likely would not do this because I doubt they would want to recognise the price of Rares.

But on the other hand If this trader bought Rare's for a for a cheaper amount and sold them for higher it would still keep the same amount of Rare's in the game but would also act as a money sink.

But as should be pretty obvious now, Jagex will never do anything about Rares.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jagex will not remove them now due to the prices being so much, and people have put alot of time into getting the money to buy rares."

I KNOW! I thought of that already, and those who want to keep their rares can! If they want to sell, they can, and not lose any money! :P

This basically would just stop people from getting rich without working. I actually have a santa hat, and it IS indeed appreciating in value. I don't like what I'm doing either, I know I will feel guilty when I sell it because I did nothing for the money, but most people don't feel guilty. They just get stacks of cash for nothing.

tifsbti6oi.gif

I actually have a santa hat, and it IS indeed appreciating in value. I don't like what I'm doing either, I know I will feel guilty when I sell it because I did nothing for the money, but most people don't feel guilty.

I find this a bit hypocritic.. Nothing 'forces' you to sell for a high price. OK you don't want a merchant taking your profit when you resell..? Well just sell to a normal player then?

They just get stacks of cash for nothing.

Everyone his own playing style ^^...

I know a lot of people won't like my idea, as I found out when I posted this on RuneScape forums a while back, but I like to think that Tip users are more open-minded, I don't often see people saying things like "* u noob dats a st00pd ideo go bak 2 ur bin haha noob" :P

So here it is, it's shorter than the original because I've forgotten a lot of it:

Jagex do some fast research, and find out the current average selling price of all the rares. They make an NPC, I was thinking the Wise Old Man would be good. He will buy all rares for the current average price. Rares become untradeable. Uproar, 'wah wah I can't get one now I'm leaving!'? But noh, because he will also SELL these items for the fixed price of what they were at the time. No more will be created from him either, this means:

1) They are as rare as they always were.

2) Anyone can get one, but they won't have to compete with ridiculous ever-increasing prices.

3) Nobody loses money they invested in the rares, and they can keep them if they want.

4) They will still be a status symbol.

5) No longer will they provide an unfair advantage to the wealthier players. Someone with enough money to invest in rares can just sit back and let them appreciate in value. This means they have money to spend on the more costly skills such as Fletching, Herblore or Smithing without having to work so hard as those not in the rare market.

That's what I find to be the major problem, I believe everyone in RuneScape should have to work for what they get. That's how it was meant to be! This way, the rares market is still there, you can still buy and sell them, all it does it stop them from rising in value. I can't see any reason it would cause any market crashes either.

Let me know what you think please, and be sure to tell if you see any good flaws. :-)

You are just mad because you can't afford them.

2. You want other people to suffer because you don't have it.

3. Rares are a sign of richness, leave it at that!

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I have a santa, so 2 of your points are invalidated.

Your third point is just irrelevant, I already said that they would still be a status symbol, you dork.

Thanks a lot, for nothing, you've completely wasted my time, your time and anyone who reads your post's time.

If you want to contribute, go ahead, but don't just try and be a smart [wagon], cuz you suck at it.

EDIT: Now these forums censor everything too? :?

tifsbti6oi.gif

I have a santa, so 2 of your points are invalidated.

Your third point is just irrelevant, I already said that they would still be a status symbol, you dork.

Thanks a lot, for nothing, you've completely wasted my time, your time and anyone who reads your post's time.

If you want to contribute, go ahead, but don't just try and be a smart wagon, cuz you suck at it.

EDIT: Now these forums censor everything too? :?

What an amazing comeback. Granted, Ducky is a smartass but cmon this is just too much.

Btw the idea that the author of this thread presented would infact stop the rares rising without undermining the fundamentals. That is the whole point of his suggestion i beleive.

We all know nothing like that will be implemented though. There is no point in ruining the joy of ohh so many people. Having a calculator in your hand, trying to figure out how much ur net worth is......that is just bloody priceless.

So if u want to be a player in the rares market just get with the program.......if u dont, stay the hell away.

well is there a reason to get rid of them? because people are getting rich? Go try and get in on the action then. I see no reason for wanting to get rid of rares besides jealousy. They don't help you in the game except maybe by getting you money, so if you think they're pointless don't buy them and the prices may actually deflate (or at least inflate slower). The only game advantage they give is money for newly released weapons and armor someone might buy by selling off a rare. They'll probably buy it when its new and lose capital and help to disperse wealth. I feel sorry for people that do nothing but sit on their rares. Seems boring. Santa hats are probably a more exciting investment since the price may actually fluctuate around christmas and the rest of the year and you could have a reason for actively buying and selling the same commodity within a certain time span instead of just sitting on it. Rares are what make merchanting fun, nothing else appreciates in value so merchanting overall would be a loss if you don't work for what you sell... and who says merchanting isn't work?

dang this inflation thing its like world war 4 but in runescape i cant even explain what would happen like people muderizing each other and other stuff dang :twisted: :evil:

I like the idea though but still theres downsides!!

http://s7.invisionfree.com/Legends_Of_Sara/

Join My clan. Leader Is 1234king0 or Pajsanos

Requirments: 50+Combat or 45+ in any NON-MEMBER SKILL. TY n Peace out.

So if u want to be a player in the rares market just get with the program.......if u dont, stay the hell away.

I don't mean to pick on your post, Ts, there were many of this nature. Why is there so much anger caused by this issue?

If you care not for rares (like me I admit), the solution is simple: ignore them. When a guy walks by with his silly little hat, learn to chuckle instead of sneer :)

If you do want a rare but can't yet afford it, well, start saving :) JAGeX provides an excellent game for free (or virtually free for members). However, they did mess up once by dropping the items that currently comprise the rare market. They didn't mean for it to happen this way, but it did. So rather than punish either side, they've let it go. Now, I admit I wouldn't cry if they got rid of rares/made them untradeable, but I'm also fine with the way things are now.

Lastly, if you are a merchant, you ought to understand your fellow player's frustrations. Most of you were poor at one time, unless a friend loaned you tons of gp/your first full rune :) It's not necessary to flame someone just because they're making a post about rares. When Duke posts about it, he does not flame. Neither should you.

lpinkus

I don't mean to pick on your post, Ts, there were many of this nature. Why is there so much anger caused by this issue?

If you care not for rares (like me I admit), the solution is simple: ignore them. When a guy walks by with his silly little hat, learn to chuckle instead of sneer :)

If you do want a rare but can't yet afford it, well, start saving :) JAGeX provides an excellent game for free (or virtually free for members). However, they did mess up once by dropping the items that currently comprise the rare market. They didn't mean for it to happen this way, but it did. So rather than punish either side, they've let it go. Now, I admit I wouldn't cry if they got rid of rares/made them untradeable, but I'm also fine with the way things are now.

Lastly, if you are a merchant, you ought to understand your fellow player's frustrations. Most of you were poor at one time, unless a friend loaned you tons of gp/your first full rune :) It's not necessary to flame someone just because they're making a post about rares. When Duke posts about it, he does not flame. Neither should you.

lpinkus

Big hangover yesterday. Did not read properly. Thought p0nds outburst was directed at ducky:P. Anyway no hate towards the rare market. No hate towards the ppl who decide to post this kind of threads. No hate towards ducky, he allways trys to be civil.

Hard to argue with you ipin- u have a tendency to cover all the existing perspectives so well. Nothing to add really.

Some good points made, but I still do believe that they are an unfair advantage, because it's hard to get into merchanting rares. Sure, you can work and buy a santa, pumpkin or easter egg, but they're small fry and it'll take a long time for those to appreciate much. By which time, Party Hats will be many many millions more.

Someone already in P hat game has an unfair advantage now, because they have had to do very little work for a lot of money, and can, like I said in my first post, now spend that on, say, a lot of herbs and 2nd ingredients.

Someone who works via a trade skill for their money will have to work lots of those herbs and 2nd ingredients, by either working for the money or gathering them themselves.

See what I'm saying? :)

tifsbti6oi.gif

Argh! I don't want them to be banned FFS!!!

Just for the price to be stabilised and kept at a fixed value! Then ANYONE will eventually be able to get one, and NOONE will be able to make money from doing nothing.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Argh! I don't want them to be banned *!!!

Just for the price to be stabilised and kept at a fixed value! Then ANYONE will eventually be able to get one, and NOONE will be able to make money from doing nothing.

I'm surprised I'm supporting the merchants, but merchanting phats and other rares is not "doing nothing."

Yes, it's not a visible, bonafide, high-score table skill like woodcutting, but it takes time. A lot of time. I know when I merchant rune items, chaos runes, etc., it's highly annoying waiting for real offers, not to mention the actual price I'm looking for. It takes patience!

So, merchanting is not at all doing nothing. If you think so, you could argue that playing RS itself is doing nothing :)

lpinkus

Big hangover yesterday. Did not read properly. Thought p0nds outburst was directed at ducky:P. Anyway no hate towards the rare market. No hate towards the ppl who decide to post this kind of threads. No hate towards ducky, he allways trys to be civil.

Hard to argue with you ipin- u have a tendency to cover all the existing perspectives so well. Nothing to add really.

Well, if I cover things well, it comes from having too many rare arguments/discussions, not any sort of intelligence:)

Again, I wasn't singling you out. Thanks for explaining. Drink some coffee :)

lpinkus

Argh! I don't want them to be banned *!!!

How can you possibly say that merchanters do NOTHING?

They work, just like anyone else does. Except they type more often than click.

questcapesigbalh.gif

The Once and Future Quest Guru

Hey I know MERCHANTING is work, I've been there and done that, trust me.

But rare merchanting is not.

Take rune ess - you have to stand around for ages buying small amounts for 20 each, haggling and bargaining, at Varrock East bank. You can then sell for 40 each on the forums.

Rune essence does not appreciate in value with nothing but time. You can not just buy some, leave it in your bank and then sell it at a later date for a lot of profit.

Take party hats - you have to buy one, generally on forums.

You then sell it in a few weeks/months for massive profit.

Was that a lot of work? No, I don't think so.

So in conclusion, I agree with merchanting, I believe it to require numerous skills - communication, persuasion, haggling, sales technique. All required to be a good merchant, so having them is admirable.

But rare merchanting requires only money. Not very admirable, do you not agree?

tifsbti6oi.gif

Hey I know MERCHANTING is work, I've been there and done that, trust me.

But rare merchanting is not.

People really gotta start making a difference between rare merchanting with investing and understanding it.. What you describe is investing, not merchanting. Admitted: most merchants are also investors, but most normal players are investors too, while they are not merchants.

It's pretty sad how merchants always get all the blame though0, while the major part of rares that exist are probably owned by 'normal' investing players.

Removing / limiting the price of rares will most likely not do anything against the possibility of investement income. Like I've said plenty of times, if the price increase of rares would be limited, chances are large that materials will take over the role of inflation correction and in turn be your perfect investement choice. ;)

So in conclusion, I agree with merchanting, I believe it to require numerous skills - communication, persuasion, haggling, sales technique. All required to be a good merchant, so having them is admirable.

But rare merchanting requires only money. Not very admirable, do you not agree?

That's a good point about offering and agreeing on an offer, all within the forums. That does seem odd at least. However, we all scan the forums for deals and post sales/offers. The item in question makes no difference, unless...and I've said this before...you don't care about rares!

That is, in fact, the real secret to changing the rare market: getting 100% of the Runescape population to suddenly care not for rares. But you and I both know it ain't gonna happen :)

So, If you want one, then you have to save for it! That's part of the charm, really. Imagine if there was a plan like suggested in this topic put into action - everyone would have them and it would be silly...

"Lok at my blu phat"

"So wut noob"

Do we really need more chat like that in RS? I don't think so. :)

lpinkus