:: My Idea To Remove Rares ::

p0nd3r4

I know a lot of people won't like my idea, as I found out when I posted this on RuneScape forums a while back, but I like to think that Tip users are more open-minded, I don't often see people saying things like "stfu u noob dats a st00pd ideo go bak 2 ur bin haha noob" :P

So here it is, it's shorter than the original because I've forgotten a lot of it:

Jagex do some fast research, and find out the current average selling price of all the rares. They make an NPC, I was thinking the Wise Old Man would be good. He will buy all rares for the current average price. Rares become untradeable. Uproar, 'wah wah I can't get one now I'm leaving!'? But noh, because he will also SELL these items for the fixed price of what they were at the time. No more will be created from him either, this means:

1) They are as rare as they always were.

2) Anyone can get one, but they won't have to compete with ridiculous ever-increasing prices.

3) Nobody loses money they invested in the rares, and they can keep them if they want.

4) They will still be a status symbol.

5) No longer will they provide an unfair advantage to the wealthier players. Someone with enough money to invest in rares can just sit back and let them appreciate in value. This means they have money to spend on the more costly skills such as Fletching, Herblore or Smithing without having to work so hard as those not in the rare market.

That's what I find to be the major problem, I believe everyone in RuneScape should have to work for what they get. That's how it was meant to be! This way, the rares market is still there, you can still buy and sell them, all it does it stop them from rising in value. I can't see any reason it would cause any market crashes either.

Let me know what you think please, and be sure to tell if you see any good flaws. :-)

tifsbti6oi.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see Jagex doing it. Not because that method you suggested is a bad method, I actually think it's quite good. But I just don't see Jagex wishing to risk the fallout and loss of a few players, who'll always take offence no matter how generous, and lose their precious revenue due to their absence.

I actually think Jagex likes the rare market as it is. Merchanting is like the hidden skill, it gives people another thing to waste their time and money on.

well, no i dont think it would work. unless you make the rares non tradable. and even then u say he wont make any more so it will be a matter of days, all merchants will sell theirs of as there only merchants and dont actualy want the rares... evry one who wants one will then go out n try n buy one. they will all then be sold to ppl hu want them n there fore aint gonna sell them wich menans they will in effect become untradable and worth less in effect as no one will sell and no one can by they will just be jusr simillr to bunny ears etc. they will simply show that the person had a lot of cash a few years back when they were available.

the npc will never ever ever have any in stock and youll gt people complaining that they want one but theyre never in stock which mean the problem hasnt been solved

its a good idea, but in the long term (ie. a few weeks after) itll cease to work.

The great NOOB-TIONARY has Return-ed!

hara's fight for lvl 85 mining currently at 70!

I actually think Jagex likes the rare market as it is. Merchanting is like the hidden skill, it gives people another thing to waste their time and money on.

I don't know if you'll agree, but in my opinion, merchanting is the only Rs "skill" that, alone, keeps some people playing.

There's one kind of player, wich today is very representative, that plays Rs just to merchant (i'm not talking just about the rare merchanting though).

There are people who play to pk, to get high skills and the ones that want great amounts of money, wich are now merchanting.

If jagex get rid of rares, they will lose too many costumers.

Now, back to your idea: You say they will be sold by a shop, this way, how come you think they will remain rares? The definition of rare is something that can no longer be obtained, wich has a decreasing amount.

I think there should be a limit amount on how many could be sold by the store, maybe an amount that equals to the phats players sold to it?

Even though I don't think it's gonna be implemented, it's the best structured idea I ever heard about the end of rares.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

But then when the server updates you'd lose all the party hats and things in stock.

Unless of course they stored the variables from the shop, but then It might be possible to buy an item just as the update timer hits 0, the server won't have time to update the stock and you'll have gotten an item without it being taken out of the shop... Or, you'd just lose your money.

If this happened I could see all the merchants looking for high window ledges... :P

It probably won't happen, like Bubsa said, not because it's a bad idea but because the rise and fall of the economy is what keeps many people attracted. And what if the prices were set during a high period or phase?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

sorry but i think its a bit stupid, cauz they would still be tradable! (in another more complicated way) the only way ur system could be use, is this one : all ppls lose their rare but get the money compensation

nobody will ever agree whith that

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

I'm afraid this idea might have some side effects.

First there is the merchants who now lose there main merchant goods, they would still want to merchant something so they will focus there attention on treasure trail rewards and the higher weaponry/armors.

So then those prices will be brought up by those merchants and now instead of the high levels having to race against the prices of rares, the mid level players will have to race against the prices of those the items they want.

Also if it would also heapon to rare items which can't be worn, like half wine and easter eggs, then those items would lose the 2 reasons for there valua, the fact that there rare and that you can make money of them.

If those two things would be removed nobody would want them anymore.

Then alot of people would cash in those items which would resolve into many goldpieces entering the market, which would likely cause inflation.

f2p skilltotal 1050+

Jafnn: "Also if it would also heapon to rare items which can't be worn, like half wine and easter eggs, then those items would lose the 2 reasons for there valua, the fact that there rare and that you can make money of them. "

Who cares about half wine and easter eggs anyway, they can sell them, nobody will buy them ever again, tada.

Harakoni: "they will simply show that the person had a lot of cash a few years back when they were available. "

That's all they do now, they're a status symbol.

Apinagez: "I think there should be a limit amount on how many could be sold by the store, maybe an amount that equals to the phats players sold to it? "

That's what I'm saying, people will have to buy and sell through the NPC shop, so the only real difference is that nobody makes increased money.

And to all the people that say Jagex won't do it, I know they probably won't I just wonder if you think it's a good idea.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Like I posted on a quite similiar thread recently...

Rare prices fundamental is that they go up in price over time. The current prices are based on that fact for a great part too, because I'm sure that if rares didn't go up over time, they would be priced quite a bit lower. If you take away that fundamental, prices will instantly drop/crash quite a lot, as investors will see no need to have their money invested in rares anymore. If the spread between the NPC buy and the NPC sell value isn't too big, you won't stop inflation at all but instead create a huge extra inflation.

Also, like apinagez rightly said already, you are taking away the "Limited" which basically is the definition of a rare.

Plus, another reason why this 'idea' will never be implemented is the fact that Jagex doesn't like to 'recognize' the value phats have.

I'm afraid this idea might have some side effects.

First there is the merchants who now lose there main merchant goods, they would still want to merchant something so they will focus there attention on treasure trail rewards and the higher weaponry/armors.

So then those prices will be brought up by those merchants and now instead of the high levels having to race against the prices of rares, the mid level players will have to race against the prices of those the items they want.

I'd like to point out merchants will not only turn to the items you stated, but they would also try to take over the raw material market. If rares are taken away, the amount of cash that flows back into the game would be enormous.. Some merchanters would actually start investing money in their skills. Think about it, what is the point of merchanting when all you have is 1 bil cash? I don't see anyone buying 100 barrow sets...

Actually, I don't see any experienced merchanter messing with dragon armour and barrows stuff, because their price can be changed by jagex with a single update. Maybe duke could enlighten us in this matter? :wink:

The idea in itself is good though. IF Jagex ever takes away rares, this is the way to do it. But like duke just said, I don't see Jagex ever recognizing the value of rare items.

I'm the ultimate prayer noob.

this has been suggested several times in times i've been around this and the old forum.

some ppl still vote for and some against it. the affects of this kind of thing are unknown to the economy and it might be very risky.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

Actually, I don't see any experienced merchanter messing with dragon armour and barrows stuff, because their price can be changed by jagex with a single update. Maybe duke could enlighten us in this matter? :wink:

If I were to give a personal answer on that then - yes that's one of the main reasons I rarely trade pseudo-rare items like dragon armour and barrow stuff, combined with the fact that these items always devaluate in price on the long-term.

How much power Jagex has regarding prices on such items was shown clearly regarding the drag chains. I lost count, but I'm pretty sure prices changed like 6 or more times already (and significantly, by 5m+ each time) due to changes in the game.

There are several good other merchants who do trade them regulary though, and I can tell you the profits of trading these items are pretty ok too.

Well, i really like rares. Ok, they are expensive, but the satisfaction you feel when obtaining one is really great! I'm trying to obtain all ' rare ' items just by mining, and if it'll work i'll let you guys know :) .

(PS: help je een beetje duke :lol: )

signature4s.jpg

Ahaha, noh Duke help me!! :D I'm trying to obtain around 2 billion gold.

On another unrelated matter, don't you have about 2 billion gold? :lol:

And yes Iantiger you are being very picky, since a mod has posted here, twice, and not moved it? :)

tifsbti6oi.gif

if they did that with a npc some people would keep the rares and the would become even rarer. So it would just make it worse wouldnt it?

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

Rares are completely the trading players option.

If they want to save up 50 billion gold coins for a pet duck or whatever then so be it. If a seller gives a price too high then the sale simply wont take place.

So personaly i believe that rares should stay and i hope to get my pet duck in the next 400 years or so.

if they did that with a npc some people would keep the rares and the would become even rarer. So it would just make it worse wouldnt it?

If you'd read properly you would probably realise that the price would fixed, so it couldn't get worse. That's what I think you're saying, not sure though I don't understand you entirely :P

"Rares are completely the trading players option.

If they want to save up 50 billion gold coins for a pet duck or whatever then so be it. If a seller gives a price too high then the sale simply wont take place. "

I don't know what you're trying to say either, at all, so I can't reply :x :lol:

tifsbti6oi.gif

I don't know if you'll agree, but in my opinion, merchanting is the only Rs "skill" that, alone, keeps some people playing.

If jagex get rid of rares, they will lose too many costumers.

I agree whole heartedly on that one.

it something that they dicided to do a long time ago and they cant really take rares away because people have put alot work into rares and stuff. your idea is great but jagex probably likes it the way it is now, i myself have never owned any "rares" and ide rather spend my money on other stuff. its personal preference if u liek rares, cuz rares r more of a "look im rich kinda thing" it doesnt actualy help you in the game. Techniclly anyways

Actually this does go in the suggestions board :).

Who cares about half wine and easter eggs anyway, they can sell them, nobody will buy them ever again, tada.

Oh, you'll be the one caring when billions upon billions of pure gp enter the economy as a result of it ;).

Won't merchants find a new "market" to tap?

Surely, but that's not the point Bubsa and apinagez are trying to make..

I also agree with them that the merchanting 'game' in RuneScape compared to other mmorpg's is probably much bigger due to the existance of rares.