64.5 GB in videos folder

Lep

Is that a lot? I have clips saved up (from fraps) intending to make a video for another game one day. My computer runs fast as hell and has no problems, just wondering if that's a lot. If I deleted them all would it run even faster?

64.5GB is rather a lot. If you deleted them though, I wouldn't think there would be any increase in speed of your computer. The only thing those files are doing is filling up your HDD, not slowing down your system.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

If they're just raw recorded video from fraps then they're just a bit uncompressed, is all. Removing them just makes space to save more things, it won't increase the speed of your computer. There's a useful tool called ccleaner which can get rid of junk both to free up hard drive space and often to improve the speed at which your computer runs. Keeping a clean computer is key to keeping a fast one working fast :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

The only way harddrive effects your computer speed is:

1) Its data transfer speed; this is unchanging and stays the same

2) Read speed; this again doesn't change thou fragmentation can slow it down (defragging like twice a yr is usually more than neough thou)

3) Having a very tiny slither of space left which makes reading hard (we are talking like 10 mb space left)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My video folder is on 1789GB. So i would say, no ;-)

On one drive?

I have around 4tb, but it's spread out over a few hard drives. I'd like to get a RAID setup (in a NAS preferably) so that I can store videos all on one logical drive.

But to OP, no that is not that much at all. Also data like that doesn't really affect computer speed at all unless, like Sy mentioned above, the drive is fragmented or you don't have much space left.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

One would assume that below a certain amount of storage space left, the performance of a hard drive decreases in WRITE speed as it requires more time to find blocks to write to since there are less consecutive blocks. I think I ran into FRAPS performance "lag" due to this problem once I dipped below 10GB of free space on my HD. Once I had cleared up some old FRAPS footage and had 60gb+ I had no "lag" at all. I would research my theory, but I have no time :o

To add:

HD performance issues occur when there is high fragmentation. This is because data is stored in the HD in blocks, and the read/write head of the hard drive has to find these blocks to read/write to them. If these blocks are in a consecutive order, the data can be read quickly. However if the data blocks are fragmented, the read/write head has to locate each block to read and assemble the file.

Files become fragmented when free space on the HD is not large enough to contain the whole file and so the file is split into multiple sections which are then written to other free areas of the HD.

fyi, huge guess