Tip.It Times - 20th February 2011

Racheya

@Urn-est Attempt:

I, for one, appreciate the Smelting Urns a lot. When I go on a Smithing run, I usually use the Edgeville furnace* (with my DG Coal Sack), but doing that usually leaves 5 unused Coal in my inventory for every 7 Addy bars I make. With the addition of Urns, and their passive automation, I can fill those 5 slots with Urns and get 1250 extra XP every few loads that I wasn't getting before. It's not a huge boost, but as was mentioned in the article, every little bit helps in Smithing.

*Yes, I know I could superheat the ores to get some Magic xp alongside the Smithing xp, but 1) I can't afford that many Nature Runes and 2) I'm not really hurting for Magic xp, what with all the teleporting I do for other things, like farming, powering orbs, etc.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

I was interested in the urns, but yeah they are not very practical at all.

The only ores i smelt in large numbers are gold ore....and the smelt urns dont work with gold bars (or am i doing something wrong)

The wc ones dont work with ivy...although i might bring one on farm runs.

The cook urns......really is there anybody who does not have 99 cook allready?

The prayer urns are nice vs lessers or greaters, but the xp for the infernal ashes is high enough to bank them and save them for your house altar (or sell).

You dont bring your bonecrusher to dragons either.

The mining and fishing urns are not that bad tho, although the xp of the mining urn is really strange compared to the rest.

and about the dying (or dead) content: its very hard to keep that in check i think. But yeah with some updates you really wonder if Jagex put any thought in it at all. The charm sprites are a good example, that was allready dead on the second day of release. I have used it a few times to get my strange rocks, but although the concept was not bad at all i just stopped doing it cause the charm rate was so annoyingly slow. If that was just a little bit better i would not even have mind the slow(ish) hunt xp.

When content is released it needs to have a balance between speed, fun, and reward. If something is slow and unprofitable, it better be really fun. If content is fast, then it better not be too profitable. It just bugs me when content is unbalanced and obsolete from the get-go. But, it bugs me even more when Jagex spends months developing a piece of new content, and seem to be perfectly happy that NOBODY ever uses it.

Dying content:

As an F2Per, I don't really care about how all the P2P stuff is dying. Then again, the duel arena isn't very popular with F2Pers, and FOG only has a few players. Clan wars is the only F2P minigame that has lots of players.

Urns:

Prayer urns actually lose you xp, which is really annoying after you've just killed a hundred imps and lost 35-135 xp. Otherwise nice update.

"Those who can't 'do', teach, and those that can't teach, teach Gym."

"If all else fails, duck. As a military strategy, it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a moment or two."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

"To be, or not to be." - "Hey, I know that, where's it from?" - "Existentialism for insects."

"I fought the law - and won"

"There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't"

"There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand tertiary, those who don't and those who mistake it for binary"

"There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand base 4, those who don't, those who mistake it for tertiary and those who mistake it for *Censored*ing people"

Prayer urns actually lose you xp, which is really annoying after you've just killed a hundred imps and lost 35-135 xp. Otherwise nice update.

No, you actually gain ~60 exp per urn and you dont have to pick up the ashes to boot.

Trouble brewing is a great minigame, balanced and fun. If rewards were somewhat more usable on a day to day basis, I'm sure plenty more people will find a new favourite minigame. Brewing itself is awesome too, I used to brew greenman's and earn quite a bit of cash for almost no work. :shades:

Staurolite.png