RCT- Design Competition

sees_all1

Changing this competition up again.

Rollercoaster may be from up to RCT2.

[hide=This includes:]

RollerCoaster Tycoon (1999)

Expansion CorkScrew Follies (aka Added Attractions) (1999)

Expansion Loopy Landscapes (2000)

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon: Gold (aka Totally RollerCoaster) (2002); Includes original game and both expansions

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe (2003); Includes original game and both expansions with more designs for the different customizable rides

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2002)

Expansions and sequels by Frontier:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Expansion Wacky Worlds (2003)

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Expansion Time Twister (2003)

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Combo Park Pack (2003); Includes original game and Wacky Worlds expansion

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack (aka Totally RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2004); Includes original game and both expansions

[/hide]

[hide=This does not include]

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (2004)

Expansion Soaked! (2005)

Expansion Wild! (2005)

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Gold (2005); Includes original game and Soaked! expansion

Compilation RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum (aka RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Deluxe Edition) (2006); Includes original game and both expansions

[/hide]

Screenshot(s) must include the entire track, along with the name of the rollercoaster visible on the ride entrance.

Score for this competition is the excitement rating.

Rollercoaster must be submitted before the week ends - by 11:59::59 GMT on Saturday.

[hide=ARCHIVED OP]For all you Rollercoaster Tycoon fans:

Da rules:

Competition Rules:

1. Rollercoaster may be from ANY game in the RCT series. This includes expansion packs and new releases. The rollercoaster may be in sandbox mode or as part of a scenario, unless otherwise stated in the ride rules.

2. Rollercoaster must be submitted before the week ends - by 11:59::59 GMT on Saturday. No exceptions.

3. The submission for the rollercoaster must be in the form of screenshots of the park. The entire rollercoaster must be included in the screenshot, or multiple screenshots. The ride's ratings and the name of ride on the entrance to the station platform must match, and be in at least one of the screenshots. This is to verify the ride in the screenshot is legitimate.

4. The winner of the competition from the prior week is allowed to remove one ride rule, add one ride rule, and change the scoring of next week's coasters.

Ride Rules:

Baleeting this one: 1. The rollercoaster must be entirely above ground.

2. There must be no footpaths above the rollercoaster, or within 2 squares on the same level of the rollercoaster.

3. There must be no other rides or rollercoasters within 4 squares of the rollercoaster.

New rule:

The rollercoaster may not be more than 6,000 feet in length.

Scoring:

The rollercoaster's score is its fastest speed in MPH, divided by its maximum lateral G force.

Where the minimum lateral G force is 1.

Good luck!

[hide=here be glory]

Week of 2/27/11 - 3/5/11: sees_all1 with "Triangle"

Week of 3/6/11 - 3/12/11:

[/hide]

[hide=Obsolete rules: (OP)]

Build the best rollercoaster design competition. Not sure how popular this thread will be, so here are the rules:

1. Rollercoaster must be from the original Rollercoaster Tycoon - nothing from Corkscrew Follies or Loopy Landscapes, or any of the recent stuff. If a rollercoaster got new track elements in expansion packs, they're not allowed (such as banked turns on steel minicoasters).

2. Submission for best rollercoaster must be within one week of this post - Saturday, March 5th at 11:59:59 PM (Before GMT switches to Sunday).

3. Rollercoaster must be entirely above ground

4. There may be no trees or scenery within 4 spaces of the rollercoaster. There may be no footpaths above the rollercoaster, or within 2 squares on the same level of the rollercoaster (except for the path directly connected to the entrance and exit). There may be no other rides or other rollercoasters within 4 spaces of the rollercoaster. The intent of the rule is to make sure the ride's ratings are strictly from the rollercoaster itself, and not from elements near the rollercoaster.

5. Submission must include a screenshot of the entire rollercoaster, along with the stats and ratings of the rollercoaster. The entire rollercoaster's name must be visible from the entrance of the ride, and must match the stat box.

6. Score for the rollercoaster is calculated as follows:

Score = (2*Excitement + Intensity) / Nausea

Where Intensity has a maximum of 20.0, and Nausea has a minimum of 2.0.

[/hide]

Sound good? Get to it!

[/hide]

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haters gonna hate. This idea is great, after some discussion...

I might have to reinstall acquire through less scrupulous methods the game.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Can I build it in that sandbox park from the expansions, as long as I don't have anything else from them?

That's fine, it just has to be a rollercoaster type from the original.

♪♪ And I'm not done

4. There may be no trees or scenery within 4 spaces of the rollercoaster. There may be no footpaths above the rollercoaster, or within 2 squares on the same level of the rollercoaster (except for the path directly connected to the entrance and exit). There may be no other rides or other rollercoasters within 4 spaces of the rollercoaster. The intent of the rule is to make sure the ride's ratings are strictly from the rollercoaster itself, and not from elements near the rollercoaster.

Damn, was hoping you'd not remember that loophole.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

I only have RCT2 so may have to find a copy of the original so that I know I'm not accidentally cheating. Will try and get a coaster done on Wednesday.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

This isn't my submission, but I'd figure I'd give you guys a baseline :wink:

And to show the score in action.

[hide=pictures of ride]

seesall1rct2.png

seesall1rct1.png

[/hide]

Excitement: 7.32

Intensity: 8.27

Nausea: 4.39

Score:

(2*7.32 + 8.27) / 4.39 = 5.21

Hope you can do better than that, I plan to.

♪♪ And I'm not done

This isn't my submission, but I'd figure I'd give you guys a baseline :wink:

And to show the score in action.

[hide=pictures of ride]

seesall1rct2.png

seesall1rct1.png

[/hide]

Excitement: 7.32

Intensity: 8.27

Nausea: 4.39

Score:

(2*7.32 + 8.27) / 4.39 = 5.21

Hope you can do better than that, I plan to.

Oh, I can do a lot better than that. A lot.

Any coasters allowed? I shall acquire this soon!

You're allowed to build -

Wooden Roller Coaster

Wooden Crazy Rodent Roller Coaster

Steel Mini Roller Coaster

Mine Train Roller Coaster

Steel Roller Coaster

Standup Steel Roller Coaster

Steel Corkscrew Roller Coaster

Suspended Roller Coaster

Inverted Roller Coaster

Suspended Single-Rail Roller Coaster

Single-Rail Roller Coaster

Bobsled Roller Coaster

Reverse Whoa Belly Roller Coaster

Vertical Roller Coaster

♪♪ And I'm not done

I'm all for RCT2 as it has the ride designer mode and such, the original seems to only have a few scenarios and no sandbox that I can find.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

You can build the coaster in any of the expansions, as long as the coaster you build is compatible with the original.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Wait. Banked turns aren't in the original? Sorry, I only have Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe. Is there any other track elements that are prohibited?

Banked turns for steel minicoasters. Virtually every other type of rollercoaster had them, except the small ones.

I'm not exactly sure what else was added, maybe the weird track element where the track goes from a banked turn up to increasing... but that'd only be on the vertical roller coaster? Also, the large half loop for inverted roller coasters are off limits. Post a screenie of your rollercoaster (without the stats) and we can verify its made from legit elements.

♪♪ And I'm not done

Think there was some element of wooden roller coasters that were added as well. Either those splash drops or loops... Or was it loops available with research?

I believe loops were an altogether different flavor of rollercoaster. Splashes were in the original.

Bit real life of trivia - the world's first (and only) looping wooden rollercoaster was the Son of Beast in King's Island, Cincinnati OH. The rollercoaster had it's loop removed after an accident in 2006 which injured about 30 of people, they removed it in order to lighten the carts. I don't believe that rollercoaster is operating right now, it was closed last year.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I think it would be good if winner of this first competition gets to add one rule, take away one rule, and change the scoring for the next competition.

I'll might paint up some custom siggy thing for the winner as well... don't expect too much, I'm not that artistic.

Also, I just drowned 2,270 guests and I built a rollercoaster (that follows this set of rules) with a max lateral g of 6.45.

Now, to build my entry :mrgreen: .

♪♪ And I'm not done

I think I found the trick to winning this... Will submit on Friday :mrgreen:

EDIT:

It also seems the baseline I posted is pretty high...

♪♪ And I'm not done

Wait. Banked turns aren't in the original? Sorry, I only have Roller Coaster Tycoon Deluxe. Is there any other track elements that are prohibited?

Banked turns for steel minicoasters. Virtually every other type of rollercoaster had them, except the small ones.

I'm not exactly sure what else was added, maybe the weird track element where the track goes from a banked turn up to increasing... but that'd only be on the vertical roller coaster? Also, the large half loop for inverted roller coasters are off limits. Post a screenie of your rollercoaster (without the stats) and we can verify its made from legit elements.

Oh ok. Large half loop is blah, and I rarely use any of the minicoasters anyway, so I should be good. But...

..From the looks of it, I'm not going to be able to enter this competition this time. I misread the deadline, and I don't actually have RCT with me in college now, so I won't have the time to build one by Saturday. But if this is like a weekly competition, I should be able to contribute once I go home and get it :thumbup:

1icyna.png

Also, I just drowned 2,270 guests and I built a rollercoaster (that follows this set of rules) with a max lateral g of 6.45.

In my heyday I built roller coasters with 20-30 intensity and nausea. Even today my average is around 15.

How do I get ones with actual excitement? :oops:

You need to control the speed around track elements. Taking a loop at 60mph isn't a very good idea, the slower your coaster takes it and the more exciting it is. The faster your coaster is going, the larger your turns need to be. High bits of G forces are OK, but if they're sustained or too large the track is going to be too intense.

..From the looks of it, I'm not going to be able to enter this competition this time. I misread the deadline, and I don't actually have RCT with me in college now, so I won't have the time to build one by Saturday. But if this is like a weekly competition, I should be able to contribute once I go home and get it :thumbup:

You could *ahem* acquire it through shady means. If you already own the game and are not lending it to someone right now, I don't see that as a moral issue anymore. :shades:

♪♪ And I'm not done